A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I have a job interview tomorrow at a hospital and I'm so nervous - how can I calm my nerves?!?!

Posted: Sep 24, 2014

I have a job interview at a huge hospital tomorrow for a medical records analyst.  I'm very excited that I even got a call for an interview, but I'm also scared beyond words.  I haven't had a face-to-face interview in 12 years and I've become such a hermit that I'm scared to death of going for an interview, driving there, answering questions, etc.  I went back to school, just finished and got my degree, applied for this job and now I have an interview so it's everything I worked for, but I'm freaking myself out!  Any advice for me to calm my nerves?

Can you get someone - to ask you practice questions?

[ In Reply To ..]
Write down what you anticipate them saying and have someone walk you through an interview. Good luck! Hope you get it!!

Prepare and Practice - and practice more

[ In Reply To ..]

Look for sample interview questions and prepare answers and practice delivery.  Just a quick google search and here's one that looks good.  There are lots and lots.  Add to that questions about your organization style, how you handle multiple competing tasks.  

But, good for you.  Getting an interview is huge, so use that major accomplishment, as well as completing your degree, to convince yourself, and then convince this hospital, that you would be an asset to their operations.  Good work.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2014/02/24/the-most-common-job-interview-questions-and-how-to-answer-them

I found this video I hope helps - This is what I told my DH

[ In Reply To ..]
I watched this video and I told my DH, just pretend you are acting for a part. Research the company you are interviewing for. Here is a sample interview. It takes place in Australia, but no difference on interview techniques.

Just remember, you are a confident person who can do the job. Watch this interview at how she answers questions. Tell yourself "I can ace this". Also remember you are interviewing them to make sure it is a job you want and that you like the place and people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95lhtBc53f8

I hope this helps - good luck!

Here are some youtube videos on how to calm nerves - Me again

[ In Reply To ..]
I typed in youtube how to calm nerves during an interview. I have not watched all of these, but here are some links. Hope they help.

You can do it!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+calm+nerves+during+interview

Tips from a hermit who has been here - Interview

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't expand too much on your situation - nothing negative, keep answers short and professional. Hair, nails, make up, freshly cleaned professional outfit.

Me? I talked to much. I had a wound on my hand from an incident and saw the interviewer zoom in on it and realized an adult woman with a wound on her hand (I work in garden, have dogs, prune trees) looks ill and so make sure you appear healthy and energetic. Stand up right and maintain good composure.

First impressions mean everything and is worth a trip to Macy's to pick up a nice pin stripe pant suite, a trip to nail salon and hair salon...if one has access to the cash. Eyeglasses such be straight, stylish, and not scratched. Dental work must include cosmetic approach as well since we are in a fashion show, personality contest and a job search all at the same time. It will also boost self confidence.

Good luck.

Tell us how your interview went - new job?

[ In Reply To ..]
How did you do? Aced it, I hope.

I'm the original poster - here's how it went - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was beyond nervous. I live just outside of Boston and driving into this city is a nightmare. I gave myself plenty of time, got there early, walked for what felt like 100 miles to the HR department, and waited on the lady to interview me. I felt like I sweat off 10 pounds just sitting there waiting. She was a very cool, easygoing woman who asked me general questions. I felt like I answered them good. She joked around with me which made me feel comfortable. I didn't give her too much info but enough to know about me and my skills/goals, etc. She asked me when I could start and then told me that the she wants me to proceed to the second and final part of the interview, which is an interview with the HIM director of the hospital. Yikes!! I go back for that Monday. I do feel better, though. So for my next interview I won't be so nervous. The job is for a healthcare data analyst. The job requires a bachelor's in health information management and RHIA certification, which I have. I will let you all know how the second interview goes. Thank you for all your responses.

Good for you! - A Call-Back is Good...

[ In Reply To ..]
A call-back is good---it means you're in the running for sure.

Good luck Monday!

Similar Messages:

Job Interview Tomorrow Morning..
Mar 02, 2014

I have an interview for a full time medical office assistant position tomorrow morning.  Things are still going pretty well for me with MT right now, but part of me feels like I need to get out now..  BEFORE the bottom falls out... (even though in my situation, there's been no indication to think it it will)  I'm sooo scared to make this change ...scared that I won't get the job, but also strangely scared that I WILL get it.... I have no idea what it pays, but it&# ...

Practicing For Job Interview Tomorrow
May 27, 2014

Everything I have seen about successful job interviewing says NEVER say anything negative about your current employer.  So fellow N MTs, any good suggestions of what I could say that would not be a bald-faced lie? ...

Amphion - Anyone Happy? Interview Tomorrow. Help!
Mar 11, 2012

Just wondered if anyone is happy.  Currently tested and have an interview.  It is for the current job posting.  I am needing something part-time that actually has work.  I have two jobs right now and one is more famine than feast and I really need to get away from that one.  It is going to be mostly VR...but if I get the Escription platform that would be nice since i do like that platform.  Thanks for your help!!!  I have worked for the Q before and well, I can ...

Have An Interview With TeleTech@Home Tomorrow
Sep 24, 2014

They are a customer service at home type of company.  Most positions start off at $9/hour depending on the client.  I'm so nervous.  I want out of MT so bad, I don't want to make another decision I'll regret. ...

Interview With Synernet Tomorrow. Is The Shift Differential Decent?
Jul 16, 2013

I was wondering for you all working at Synernet and working third shift, is the shift differential decent?  I was recently laid off from my job of several years and nervous about having to start over elsewhere.  I was making a decent wage at my last job, but of course due to downsizing lost my job.  This company "seems" to sound good, but don't they all at some point?  Thank you in advance, and if you don't feel like posting on the board, just message me.  Ag ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Nervous
Mar 02, 2012

waiting for my phone interview to begin....sorta nervous! ...

NEWBIE GETTING NERVOUS
Aug 29, 2010

I'm new to the profession and new to the boards. I am here just trying to get a feel for the real world in transcription. I have to say the few things I have read on here so far are making me very nervous. I am just finishing my course within the next month or two through Penn Foster so the search for a job is in my near future... These are a few things I am curious about:  Is the MT job market really that bad? What advice can you give me as a new MT? Have any of you MT's out ...

Interviewing Soon And Nervous
Oct 01, 2010

I have an interview coming up and I am a little nervous.  I have not had an interview in years and I don't know what to expect.  The last two times I had interviews with an MTSO, they did not really interview me but instead just told me about the account and wanted to know what shift I wanted to work. For those of you who have been interviewing recently, what was it like?  What questions can I be expected to answer.  Thanks. ...

Nervous Transition
Oct 21, 2011

I have come into transciption within the past four years. This is something I have always wanted to do and finally found a way to get into the field. There does not seem to be alot of money in straight typing, and less in VR. I have always made incentive, but still - its just not enough and I work very hard to get that. Right now, I work for a company with straight typing only, no VR. I am taking a position with a company that has VR and it sounds to me like the position is pre ...

Soon To Be A Nuancer And Am Nervous
Nov 27, 2012

I'm getting ready to have software installed on my computer this week and am having second thoughts after reading the posts on this board.  I'm really upset about the off-shoring that Nuance does and was naive when I applied (I should've checked on the boards first).  I'm not sure if I should back out or give it a try.  The account I'm assigned to supposedly is a new clinic account so everything is up in the air - it'll be straight typing and then mov ...

MT Transitioning Out And Nervous
Jan 25, 2014

Seeking advice from other MTs who are currently in school for another field or have already transitioned out of MT. One semester to go and I will hopefully be prepared to enter a career field that has nothing to do with MT. Problem is, I find myself worrying about working outside the home. I've been an at-home MT for almost 12 years. I have found a new enjoyment being around people in my classes and activities, but I'm so used to the home environment as my workplace. I am ge ...

Webbers, The New Changes Are Making Me Nervous.
Apr 08, 2011

I hate this paranoid feeling like I'm baggage and not part of the team anymore.  Do you think they'll improve communication and it will feel like the old, happy Webmedx again? ...

New Hire - Nervous - What Would It Take For Them To Fire Me?
May 04, 2012

. ...

Applying To SoftScript But Nervous
Nov 12, 2012

Well, I am going to go ahead and apply to SoftScript and I must say I am nervous hearing the negatives about the work, but at the same time if I don't get out of Nuance I will pull my hair out soon. At least I have read a few positives about SoftScript. I have read NO POSITIVES about Nuance. I came in as part of a buyout several years ago and it is scary to think I might be leaving one bad to another bad, but at the same time I think Nuance is trying to push some of us out anyway and I have ...

I Am Already A Nervous Wreck Today
Mar 18, 2014

I know every time the phone rings or I get an Ipswitch email i'm going to have a tiny heart attack lol   The news probably won't come until tomorrow but it's the waiting to determine my whole future that's got me on edge! ...

Amphion, Anything Good Or Bad. I'm Nervous.
Oct 14, 2014

Anyone out there have any experience with Amphion?  Good and bad comments are requested.  I'm nervous about them. ...

Nervous Waiting On Tests Results For A Job
Jun 27, 2013

I'm worried I didn't pass it. I pored over it with a fine-tooth comb many times, so if it's meant to be, it will be, and if not, it won't. I am really broke though, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I passed it. Can anyone else relate? ...

Work Comp For Nervous Breakdown LOL?
Feb 25, 2015

I probably shouldn't even be complaining considering how bad most people have it at this company (and I spent 4 years waist deep in the existential horror of ever expanding BoBs and ASR so I know it can be so much worse), but sometimes the little stuff just drives me nuts.  The last three months have been a QA rollercoaster.  In December, I flunked my quality audit.  Oh my god, I put "were" instead of "was."  I can see how that's a critical error.  Hundreds of ...

I Am Enrolling In The Andrew's School Next Week And Am Getting Nervous
Jan 24, 2011

Hi. My name is Suzanne and I am enrolling in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding next week, on Tuesday February 1, 2001 and am getting nervous. I am a medical transcriptionist and I want to know if any thing I have done in the last 10 years, such as medical terminology and anatomy, will help me. Of course I will take that part of the course, but I want to know if that will help. Also, I am most nervous about deciphering the codes. I guess what I am asking is how do I know I will be a goo ...

Anyone Happy At Precyse? Just Started, Kind Of Nervous About Their Platform. NM
Sep 12, 2014

xxxxx ...

I Am Putting In My Paperwork For The Andrew's School For Medical Coding And I Am Nervous
Oct 01, 2013

Hi Friends: My name is Suzanne and I am sending in my paperwork to enroll in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding and I am nervous.  I am nervous because I do know I can do it, but what about my age of 57.  I am too old for studying for this field?  I am a medical transcriptionist and have been for 12 years and I am a fast thinker and learner and I know I can do it, but what about the Affordable Care Act and the jobs being outsourced like medical transcription. Can you ...

I Get So Tired Of Waiting On Work. It Actually Makes Me Nervous Sitting By This Computer
Jun 05, 2014

waiting on reports.  Not sure how to handle this.  I am looking for other work but no luck so far.  Do others find this mentally stressful babysitting your computer. ...

Interviewing Tomorrow A.m.
Oct 19, 2010

I'm interviewing tomorrow morning with Amphion.  Even after all of these years in the MT business, I admit that while I'm excited, I'm also a bit nervous.  Has anyone else interviewed with Amphion recently and can clue me in on what to expect?  I was told the interview process would take about 30 minutes but no other details.  Thanks for any input anyone can offer :-) ...

Who Will I Work For Tomorrow?
Oct 10, 2012

Very appropriate. ~ A Nuance MT.   http://hdstoday.com/?p=203#comment-444   ...

Beginning Tomorrow
Feb 23, 2013

beginning tomorrow, I will be working any time, any day, whatever it takes to get my hours/lines in.  There is work in the afternoons and on the graveyard in my region and I will be there.  Whatever it takes. ...

What A Relief. Tomorrow Is My Last Day.
Jun 13, 2013

I turned in my resignation 2 weeks ago and my last day is tomorrow.  No more nagging about line counts and MUP when they can't even pay me minimum wage (although mine is the second highest in the nation).  I've done this work for almost 9 years now and have enjoyed it, but the pay is just getting too low and I'm sure I can find something better in another field.  Good luck to you all. ...

I Am No Longer A MT- Tomorrow Will
Sep 30, 2014

my new life of not dealing with trying to produce a medical report for a MTSO to look good and make profit.  How things have changed in the medical world and it is getting ulgier by the day.  The demands put on MTs are totally unreasonable.  I am walking away because of retirement and I am thankful I can.  I honestly do not know if I could survive under the stress of trying to produce perfection for such minimal pay and know that a MTSO is making as much as me for each line I ...

Off To Virginia Tomorrow
Jan 24, 2015

Well, everything is all set.  I have all my reservations and my travel plans set.  Leaving tomorrow at noon, meeting the team on Monday morning at 8:15.  I'm scared to death!!  Besides this being my first filight EVER, I'm nervous about the second test that I'll have to take - I'm hoping that I pass!   ...