A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why the double standard - for CBay India MTs

Posted: May 20, 2011

I read the job description for a production MT on the CBay India website and here are a few of the interesting requirements they must meet:

• Transcribing the given data for the day i.e. 450 to 900 lines per day as per the specified capacity of the MT.
  • Production at least 75-80% accuracy in terms of medical terminology, American English, grammar, spellings, punctuation and formatting.
  • Work closely with his/her QCE and making efforts consistently to upgrade his/her skills in terms of medical terminology, English grammar and comprehension, typing speed, etc." 
  • In addition to that, they only require 1 year experience.

If this is the same company who we now work for, why are we being held to 99% accuracy, and others 75-80% accuracy? This does not seem legal.

They also get free health ins for MT and family, monthly incentive bonus, attendance bonus, target bonus, shift differential, free transportation, free gym, and on and on and on.  Heck, I clicked to apply, but I would have to move to Mumbai.

they have the benefit of having a US employee correcting all their mistakes - just want to work

[ In Reply To ..]
    nm

ILPs would definitely not pass - MME

[ In Reply To ..]
    I have to go over their work all the time. I would say 98% of the reports from them have at least 1 super critical error, which would fail if we did it.

It's not unusual to make 10 to 20 major corrections in their reports. They love to leave out whole sentences and make things up rather than leave too many blanks. They never type with context in mind either. I accidentally let a report slip by once as I forgot it was from an ILP and just filled in the blanks. It came back from the client riddled with errors, at least 15. Who got chewed out for it? One guess.

discrimination? sm - movingtomumbai

[ In Reply To ..]
    aren't we then being discrimated against and isn't that a crime?

I think so and I fully intend to - check on that next week

[ In Reply To ..]
    It has discrimination written all over it@!!!!

Doubtful - YesItSucks

[ In Reply To ..]
    I seriously doubt that U.S. law prohibits a global company from operating differently in other countries than in the U.S. After all, while operating in that other country the company is subject to THAT COUNTRY'S laws, not those of the U.S.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that this sucks.

Legal Eagles - EYENSANE

[ In Reply To ..]
    Trust me..They got their arse covered...They have wise executives who specialize in cutting corners, playing the "number game," constantly making changes to set one up to fail, to short-change you and the like...As well as primary focus placed on the sweatshops in India as it's all about the dollar...You know, the dollars not in our pockets...

I need to call Einstein just to figure out what all the "secret codes" stand for comparing their numbers against mine every pay period...All to confuse and frustrate you that so time-consuming most people will just trust their paycheck is correct...Hence, their Mission Accomplished...blah blah blah...Love all these new programs...Twice I told my boss a program would be here and gone after a few months and be another failure and I right on the nut--that coming from EYENSANE mind you...Grab your ankles and hold on tight...

No. Not discrimination in the least! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
    Companies have to structure how they operate their business and price their products/services based on how a region operates.

All companies do this: McDonalds, Nike, Wal-Mart, General Motors, AT&T ...

They don't have to operate the same nor pay or nor charge the same nor have the same expectations in other countries.

Not discrimination at all.

You are wasting your time if you are doing ANYTHING other than getting out of MQ and MT altogether.

Discrimination - a1typist

[ In Reply To ..]
    You miss the point....McDonald's does not lower the pay of its US operations when they open a new store in India. They still maintain the wage for their US operations. That is not the case here.

We most definitely ARE being discriminated - against - for being US citizens.

[ In Reply To ..]

And their QA people only have to maintain - 98.5 percent accuracy

[ In Reply To ..]
    I feel holding US based MTs to such rigid expectations compared to even the QA team for India is the way they are going to either get us all to quit or fire us. I just don't see how it could be legal. The Indians are typing for some of the same US companies we are?@

Everyone should go to the CBay India - website and just look

[ In Reply To ..]
    Go to careers and click apply and it gives you a pull-down menu of all the postions and requirements. Unbelievable.

can't anything be done about this? sm - jfb

[ In Reply To ..]
    Not only have they completely destroyed this profession, but this double standard is a double whammy. The indian MTs have gotten any and all of what once belonged to US - the U.S MTs. Makes me sick.
    Teachers are rioting in the streets over their rights and we all just sit here waiting for the next kick in the ...

I would think so... I'm going to check on it - somehow

[ In Reply To ..]
    nm

I just went to the website - passing criteria for being

[ In Reply To ..]
    a CBay certified MT is 90% on all areas tested.

Yea, teachers that make 70K a year - and say it is not enough?

[ In Reply To ..]
    That really makes me fume here in California. The teacher's union is fighting to raise our taxes in California even more to give the teachers a raise. The teachers are saying if they don't get the raise, little Johnny will have to say bye-bye to their teacher. Aw. Seventy grand a year???? It's the average salary of a teacher, with full benefits AND a retirement pension greater than our so-called Social security. Many make more than 100 grand just for being in the profession for awhile. I've been working my fingers to the bone for 20 years as an MT and have taken on tons more responsibility than any old teacher. Where's MY pension? Where are my benefits?
    Well, I personally think this attitude about - teachers is one of SM
    [ In Reply To ..]
    the reasons are kids are not learning. I realize there are other problems but I think we undervalue teachers in this country. I also think (like most here)that experienced MTs are undervalued as well. I really do not see how we can be replaced with some of the dictations I have to edit. If only clients could see the before/after results.
    You must not have children, lol. Otherwise, you'd REALIZE - the value of teachers!
    [ In Reply To ..]
    Enjoy your bitter attitude, though. It's sooooo becoming on you!

We CAN so SOMETHING - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
    What I have done, and what several other home-MT's have done this week, is email the National Union of Healthcare Workers. I got a response yesterday from the VP, John Borsos. He wants to know more about our work and how we can work together.

Another idea: Start an online blog. You don't have to display your name, and it won't cost you a cent. The more we can get the word out about what has happened to our industry, the better.
    NUoHW - naturegal
    [ In Reply To ..]
    this sounds like a really good idea, and I'm definitely going to contact them. probably, though, MQ is in bed with someone over there, but hey all it takes is someone who is more concerned about the American worker than the money that goes into corporations who exploit us.

come on, what can it hurt!!
    Address - anon
    [ In Reply To ..]
    Would it be possible to give out his address. It would be best if everyone sent their letter to the same person (obviously, this John Borsos) rather than just to the NUHW.

Also, if you could start posting this not in MQ but in the general threads every Monday around midday so lots of people saw it. And again, best if you say that everyone should send their letter to the same person.

Obviously, the complaints should be focused and specific and leave off the hyperbolic language.
    I can email it to you if you would like - sm
    [ In Reply To ..]
    since we cannot post email addresses here on the forum.

What I did, though, is simply wrote an email through "contact us", and the response I got happened to be from John Borsos.

Could you e-mail me the address please - and
    [ In Reply To ..]
    A summary of what you all wrote so I don't sound like a dufus.

Thanks.

Thank the AAMT/ADHI. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

QA - Lovnhuny

[ In Reply To ..]
    There's no consistency...I have gone back and listened to things they have changed and they don't make any sense and when I mention it to supervisor nothing happens.

75-80% ???? For that I could just - elle

[ In Reply To ..]
    format ASR, quickly read through and correct anything obvious!

Cbay - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
    Did you ever think that perhaps this website has not been updated yet with the new requirements? Just a little bit of information, Cbay also is being judged on 99% rather than 98 and has been for quite some time. You seem to be missing the important clue here. The error categories have been changed and there are many things now that are considered feedback, rather than actually taking points off. Personally I feel this is a step in the right direction. As an MT we are involved in a patient's report every day and it needs to be accurate. The 99% is not hard. Just do the right thing.

is that my supervisor talkin? - yup... it is

[ In Reply To ..]
    Sounds just like what my supervisor said... Just do the right thing. You should be at 100%, in fact, these are medical records for crying out loud!

WHATEVER! If the quality was of that much concern to these folks, we would NOT be dealing with ASR.

Blow the smoke up somewhere else.

supervisor talkin - naturegal

[ In Reply To ..]
    ditto that and/or someone who has a gravy account!!
    supervisor talkin - a1typist
    [ In Reply To ..]
    Hey no fair! Since when do we only get 1 acct....I have 18 that I do every day.
    you and me both - Unlucky18
    [ In Reply To ..]
    Sick of it... 7 years ago, I had one account that I did daily. On the rare chance I ran out, I had a backup, if I chose to do it. I made 28+ an hour, and worked about 30 hours a week.

Now, I work 45 hours a week, make 7 an hour and do 18 accounts, oh yea, and soon to be at 99% accuracy.

is that my supervisor????? - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
    I am not a supervisor. Just a diligent MT.

I tell ya what - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
    When I get paid the same amount I used to for such a critical job, where peoples lives on are the line, then I will give you 99%. Until then, I'm with India, 75 to 80.

Regardless of whether the site is out of date or not - we have NEVER

[ In Reply To ..]
    been allowed to perform anywhere near 75-80% level. Are you kidding me? I have been here for 12 years and to my knowledge, 98% was the lowest passing audit for any year I have been here. I don't know of a time MQ ever had such low standards as this. The bottom line is this, to get cheap labor you have to lower your standards. Period. And that is exactly what they are doing.

In India, the MT and QA roles are VERY different (sm) - All Seeing Eye

[ In Reply To ..]
    The MT is not expected to do his/her own research, etc. Just get the base lines done. And they are VERY slow. Most can only do 250-300 lines in an 8-hour day.

Then it goes through multiple layers of QA.

Don't kid yourself: I've seen it myself -- CBay DOES have some top notch QA people who are better than any of the US MQ QAers ... BELIEVE ME - I SAW IT FOR MYSELF. THOSE top notch CBay QA staff will eventually take the place of the US QA staff.

It's all a slow packing-it-up-and-leaving process.

All Seeing Eye

MQ QAers... - yvneq

[ In Reply To ..]
    In the recent past, worked closely with MQ QAers, and ''BELIEVE ME'', CBay QA could not hold a candle to them. The rest of your post rings true, but the glorification of the CBay QAs is pure hogwash.

I tested them. I know what they can do. They can outshine US QAers. nm - All Seeing Eye

[ In Reply To ..]
    nm
    Yea, whatever. Go blow your smoke - somewhere else NM
    [ In Reply To ..]
    xx

Similar Messages:

Double Standard
    Mar 29, 2011

Time and time again it is reiterated the importance for us to remain professional, as we are a reflection of MQ.  For example, never say "poor dictator" because this may be insulting to the holy than thou doctor, PA or RN.  What about the annoying PA that constantly insults me by saying in middle of her dictation, "note to my typist."  And this is not insulting?  All the training, years of experience and BS I have to put up with to be called a "typist" repeatedly.  ...

Double Pay Cut
    May 31, 2010

It seems to me that when you pay "weighted lines" which equal about two thirds of lines actually produced, and then pay less for those weighted lines, it is a double cut in pay. They would already be paying less because of the "weighted lines", and then to pay less per line seems criminal.  Twice as productive should equate to twice as much pay.....I'm about to go under..... ...

Double J Or JJ Tube?
    Mar 27, 2010

nm ...

Double-J Stent
    Apr 19, 2010

double-J stent, Princess (?)  4.8 x 26 cm stent    he's not saying "princess"....is he ? ...

Double Words
    Mar 26, 2015

Has anyone noticed that double words are not coming up on spell check any longer?  I can't find it anywhere to make it stop again at double words -- does anyone know how to do that?  Thanks! ...

CT Angio--double Surge?
    Aug 06, 2010

This is an ESL and it sounds like he is saying "performed in the double-surge CT scanner," but I can't verify this anywhere.  Is this correct?  ...

Double S/l Eliga Clipped
    Dec 17, 2010

The cystic duct is noted at the inferior portion of the infundibulum and is very small. This is double _____("eliga") clipped near the apparent junction of the common bile duct. ...

Double Words And Other Things
    Apr 13, 2011

Thanks to all who replied.  I wonder if my spellcheck is even turned on because the double words are not being caught.  I have even wondered if the software is putting words in.  I've been transcribing for many years but only started SR.  I'm also worry that my brain is getting too old to spot discrepancies, yet in other areas of my life, errors jump out at me to the point of being almost an obsession.  Otherwise, being with MQ has been fine.   T ...

Double Check Or Doublecheck?
    Jul 13, 2011

It is always one way or the other? Or is it like followup? ...

Double Click Does 2 Different Functions At Once!
    Nov 30, 2012

In ASR, it will highlight the word you double click and also it will put the audio back to that point. In straight transcription, it will highlight the word and take the audio all the way back to the beginning. And they won't fix it! - because I am never to take my hands off the keyboard???!! I find mousing quicker to follow ASR. I've tried cursor tracking, but it rarely ends up exactly where I want and I either end up having to use the keyboard or mouse (depending upon ...

BOS And Their Industry Standard?
    Oct 21, 2009

Do all of your companies that you work for use the BOS as their industry standard? ...

Which Do You Think Is Correct, Or Is There A Standard
    Mar 29, 2010

Example:  The patient is a 60-year-old, middle-age/middle-aged female who comes in today for follow-up.  TIA!  I appreciate any and all responses.  ...

Can We F11 A Report If It An ASR That Has A Standard For The WT?
    Dec 20, 2011

This one account drives me nuts.  it has a standard but most of the time is ASR and I have to move things around.  I cannot remember if we can use F11 for this or not.  Anyone know?  I was blessed with accounts in the past without standards so cannot remember if we can F11 to transcribe due to not having to move everything all over the place. ...

Is This Standard Procedure? Or Just Being Ignored.
    May 08, 2012

I have been here a little while, about 3 months.  I have been switched around between CCMs already to go where my primary account goes.  I needed a few hours to go to a school function and asked for that leave.  I have never been responded to by my CCM.  Is this usual?  I put up my shift on the swapboard, said I'd make the time up.  Etc. Etc. But no response at all.  Do we ever get leave when asked? Or am I to say no to my child from now on.  I j ...

VR Versus Standard
    Aug 23, 2012

We are told not to over edit VR reports, but the reports must be verbatim.  It's mutually exclusive! ...

Is There No Standard Of Quality In QA?
    Sep 17, 2013

i am on 100% QA and am constantly confused.  I am corrected for things, ask my coach.  She tells me QA is correct.  Then when I change it how she says to I get it changed back to the way I was doing it before~!  I love Fluency, i am amazingly fast at it but i think QA will ultimately do me in...for doing what i'm told to do...GRRRRR ...

Does Anyone Actually Even Double Their Line Count Doing SR Work?
    Aug 23, 2012

I am new to SR and not doing any better line count wise then I do straight typing?  Am I doing something wrong...I heard that your line count should double....help!!! ...

Another Reason For Dr's To Double-check Their Reports
    Jul 19, 2013

This woman underwent 7 months of chemo for breast cancer and didn't even have it!! The dr. misread the PET CT scan - and what, no one else caught it in 7 months? I think this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as medical malpractice goes, and I don't think her settlement was near enough!! ...

Has Anyone Else Double Checked Their Line Counts Lately?
    Oct 11, 2013

I used to have no problems getting 200+, now have all I can do to get 150 and have been written up for same.  I do not see any change on the policy.  Anyone else? ...

Inlay Or Onlay Double-J Stent?
    Apr 30, 2015

I can only find confirmation for a Bard Inlay Optima double-J stent. The doctor is clearly saying Onlay Optima stent. Is there an Onlay Optima stent? TIA. ...

What Happened To Standard Forms?
    Sep 22, 2011

Suddenly we have new QA and it's gotten crazy! We have some new PA's that dictate things so out of order as compared to the "norm" and QA wants us to give it to them instead of making reports alike as we were trained to do.  I've had some dictate drug allergies in review of systems and medications in the plan and QA wants this. I don't get it. I just don't understand how a doctor can know to check the plan for what meds a patient is on.  I also have a PA that ...

New Wave Of Pay/training, Becoming Standard?
    May 02, 2013

Good morning fellow MTs; I hope everyone is having a productive day!  Lately I have been contacted by two different companies via email stating I had contacted them in the past with my resume.  I am working but could always use something better right?  So I proceed to see what it's about and you know you don't get answers to those questions regarding pay scales and pay frequency upfront usually even when you do ask so I followed their jungle of steps, wasting quite a bit ...

New QA Standard January 2014
    Sep 23, 2013

They are now going to require 99.6% up from 99.5%.  Oh yeah.  How is this going to go?  Looks to me like a lot of us will be out.  Is this even humanly possible?  Maybe I should be a weatherman.  They can be wrong 50% of the time and keep their jobs.  HA. More stress for us.  It makes me physically ill anymore.  Too much stress. ...

If QA Score Is Below Standard, Do They Take Away Benefits?
    Dec 28, 2013

I went from near-perfect and had 100% at one point down to 95%. Can they take away my insurance? ...

Problem With Standard/normal
    Jan 03, 2014

Okay pulled in PE and major ARGH!!! I was told that tenses need to match.  However, in this particular case whoever entered it was jumping back between past and present.  Another  time consuming thing I get to do.  Interesting how that works. REALLY???????????????????????????? ...

My BOS Is Old -- What's The Current Rule/standard Wrt To:
    Sep 11, 2014

apostrophes?  eg. ADLs or ADL's I gather that the move to make hard-measured units (rather than eyeballed measuired -- such as:  a 5-mm screw versus a 5 mm laceration -- died years ago. Is this correct? I'm anticipating doing some testing for a new position and don't want to fail this sort of "basics" Thanks!     ...

WMX/Nuance Insurance DOUBLE Rate For Zip Code!!
    Nov 14, 2011

OMGGGG!!!  Already in shock at the high insurance rates, wondering how anyone could afford them with the high deductibles and co-pays, and got an e-mail that my zip code is out of their area and so my rates would be DOUBLE!!! For the same stinking high deductible and high co-pay plan???  My entire pay would not cover the insurance!!  Anyone else get such an e-mail, and what the heck are you going to do??  I am not in a "rural" area and am within 30 minutes of major medical ce ...

S/L Double-stemmed Brace For Subtalar Nonunion
    May 29, 2013

s/l he is saying double-stemmed brace for subtalar nonunion.  I haven't typed since Sept of last year and I hope it comes back to me quickly.. any input appreciated.. ty~ ...

Experience With Double-monitor Computer Setups?
    Apr 16, 2014

Have any of you worked on a computer set up with double monitors?  What are the benefits/drawbacks?  Would you recommend it as a personal investment for a remote coder?  How did your screen sharing function work; what do you keep on each screen?   Thanks for letting me pick your brains a little bit.  ...

MModal To Double Production In Mysore, India
    Aug 13, 2014

See link ...