A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New wave of pay/training, becoming standard? - Not desperate

Posted: May 02, 2013

Good morning fellow MTs; I hope everyone is having a productive day!  Lately I have been contacted by two different companies via email stating I had contacted them in the past with my resume.  I am working but could always use something better right?  So I proceed to see what it's about and you know you don't get answers to those questions regarding pay scales and pay frequency upfront usually even when you do ask so I followed their jungle of steps, wasting quite a bit of time (not typing free reports) but as far as in communictaion, etc.  One company even had to log in and observe my testing, that's a little bizarre.  I can understand the need for it but wow was it different and nerve racking!  Offered job on the spot only to dig deeper and find out that pay is ONCE MONTHLY and get this, it is held back a month!!  Yes, you read that right and it is not a typo and essentially means you can put forth 2 months' worth of IC work let me state before ever seeing a single penny.  Sorry my bank and my brain can't work with those terms because yes there are scammers and nonpayers out there because I've been burned twice before.  Then of course it's low pay at 7/3.  Then out of the blue comes another email stating similar things (different company), have intervew, get hired (no testing), 7/3 as an IC WITH a schedule (oh yeah you get the privilege of picking your schedule), and you guessed it MONTHLY pay although this one isn't held back a month but the contract looks absurd.  You have to work with the trainer in 4-hr shifts for 5 days while the trainer hangs with you in a goto meeting.  If you quit before 60 days, $200 is withheld from your pay, if you don't give 14-day notice $200 is withheld from your pay.  If your quality is not 98%, you are docked 2%.  Really?  Sounds like a lot of red flags to me and one huge one being they obviously have a hard time keeping IC MTs to need to stick those requirements in the contract.  So I'm supposed to slave myself for you when you want me to and maybe clear even by the time I cover my home office costs, insurance, electricity, internet, computer wear and tear, on and on and on.  What is up with all these whacked out requirements and requests?  Am I the only one getting this crazy stuff?  I don't think this is to be blamed on overseas as these are American companies.  Are they having to go THAT low to stay in business seriously?  Heck hire overseas for that crap, it's not for me.  My mom with no medical experience at all just started elderly sitting for $10/hr, sounds much easier and better pay to me!

When I get contacted by MTSO saying they liked my resume - and wants me to test, I reply with Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am happy they are interested in me but as I realize their time is so valuable, as is mine, I would like to ask a few questions. That way if we are not a good fit for each other, they dont have to waste their time grading a test of someone who might not be intestered in the job after all. I have never had one MTSO say that I had to test first. I am sure they dont want to grade a test on someone who is ultimately going to say, thanks but no thanks.

Oh yea, the questions I ask are what platform, what, if any shift, do I have the ability to check my own lines, verbatim or not, can I work more than my scheduled hours (I usually go for PT), and lastly I ask about pay.

pay - workhorse

[ In Reply To ..]
I never could understand why it's such a bad thing to ask about pay first. We only work so we can earn $ so I feel that should be the very first question... "What do you pay?" Just get right down to the real point. They should be mandated to post their pay on their ads for employment.

Yes, you can ask pay first, but the other questions have - an equally big affect on what your SM

[ In Reply To ..]
pay per hour can be. We are a workforce of women, after all, and while that can definately be to our disadvante, I dont think we have to lose the qualities that make us females. You get all the same info having a little tact and you will more likely be percieved as someone who will be easy to work with - straightforward and to the point without seeming pushy and overly aggressive.

I just think why make things hard. If MT is going to work for you, you have to look at everything. And it is no more trouble to approach the situation from my way. Maybe you shouldnt have to, but shoulda, woulda, coulda as Judge Judy would say.

Similar Messages:

Is It STT Changes, STT-wave Changes, ST And T Wave Changes?
Jan 10, 2013

This has always confused me.  Thanks for the help. ...

Ready For Another Wave Of . . . .
Mar 06, 2010

Ok, so we DO NOT get paid for reading through our QA feedback, we are getting our line counts cut, and we do not get paid for looking up old reports to cut down on QA?  Something tells me the wind is shfiting and it is ain't smelling too ripe.  Batten down the hatches ladies and gents, thar she BLOWS!!!! ...

Transcription Wave
Mar 14, 2013

Anybody out there work for or know about Transcription Wave? They advertise their transcription service beginning at $69 per audio hour and it seems like they mostly offer legal transcription. Why are they recruiting on a medical transcription site? Any clues? Thanks. ...

EKG . . . . Late R Wave Transition
Jan 22, 2010

"Baseline EKG shows . . . . late R wave transition?" ...

Wave Files/C Phone
Mar 28, 2010

Hi: I don't mean to be stupid, but I am in the same boat a lot of you are and I can't t take this anymore. I started applying at other places but I have never worked for a co. that didn't supply me with all computer equip.  I have a newer Dell computer and I think it meets all the requirements most places are asking for and I have Word Perfect not MS Word.  I have a USB foot pedal.  I think I am ready to go for some places, but can someone briefly educate me on ...

Wave Files Player
Sep 02, 2010

Can someone point me in the direction of a very simple, easy to download and use, free voice wave player for transcribing test documents. Unfortunately I was one of the reduction in force letter recipients at Webmedx and now must do some testing.  Thanks for the help and all the support we have received on this board, it is nice to be a part of such a supportive group. ...

Tapes To Wave Files
Jan 18, 2011

I'm trying to find equipment/info that will convert microcassettes and mini cassettes to voice files.  I found a company called Martel Electronics and they have exactly what I'm looking for but when you click on it to buy the equipment it skips over and goes to like a home page.   I need something that will duplicate the tapes in speed recording time and not minute for minute or it will take me forever to convert.   Any help would be appreciated.  TIA ...

Transferring Microcassettes To Wave Files
Oct 31, 2009

Anyone out there know of a way to transfer dictated info on microcassettes to wave files?   Thanks In Advance. ...

Doc Wary Of Going From Tapes To Wave Files..sm
May 04, 2010

I am moving and want to keep the local doctor I type for by utilizing my WAV pedal and software.  However, when I approached the doctor about this, she was wary of having me be hundreds of miles away and typing for her.  She doesn't mind the format because she had a previous transcriptionist use it, but she was "local."  Does anyone have any suggestions or comments to help me out with this?  Thanks in advance.  Anything would be appreciated. ...

Dragon And Wave Files And I Can't Get It To Work.
Aug 07, 2010

I had a stroke five years ago and started using Dragon to transcribe after having done transcription for 30 years by typing.  It works okay with Dictaphone, but I am at a loss as to how to make it work with wave files that come over the internet.  As almost everything is done this way now, does anyone know if it is possible to use two sound cards, one for dragon and one for wave files or if there is some way I can make this work so that I can still work?  Dragon can be a nightmare ...

EKG Showed VT Wave Inversions Anteriorly
Feb 19, 2014

EKG showed VT wave inversions anteriorly. Is VT wave correct? ...

EKG Report - He Says, T Wave Flat In S/l L Only, Basically Unremarkable. Thanks!
Jul 12, 2011

.. ...

BOS And Their Industry Standard?
Oct 21, 2009

Do all of your companies that you work for use the BOS as their industry standard? ...

Which Do You Think Is Correct, Or Is There A Standard
Mar 29, 2010

Example:  The patient is a 60-year-old, middle-age/middle-aged female who comes in today for follow-up.  TIA!  I appreciate any and all responses.  ...

Double Standard
Mar 29, 2011

Time and time again it is reiterated the importance for us to remain professional, as we are a reflection of MQ.  For example, never say "poor dictator" because this may be insulting to the holy than thou doctor, PA or RN.  What about the annoying PA that constantly insults me by saying in middle of her dictation, "note to my typist."  And this is not insulting?  All the training, years of experience and BS I have to put up with to be called a "typist" repeatedly.  ...

Why The Double Standard
May 20, 2011

I read the job description for a production MT on the CBay India website and here are a few of the interesting requirements they must meet: Transcribing the given data for the day i.e. 450 to 900 lines per day as per the specified capacity of the MT. Production at least 75-80% accuracy in terms of medical terminology, American English, grammar, spellings, punctuation and formatting. Work closely with his/her QCE and making efforts consistently to upgrade his/her skills in terms of m ...

Can We F11 A Report If It An ASR That Has A Standard For The WT?
Dec 20, 2011

This one account drives me nuts.  it has a standard but most of the time is ASR and I have to move things around.  I cannot remember if we can use F11 for this or not.  Anyone know?  I was blessed with accounts in the past without standards so cannot remember if we can F11 to transcribe due to not having to move everything all over the place. ...

Is This Standard Procedure? Or Just Being Ignored.
May 08, 2012

I have been here a little while, about 3 months.  I have been switched around between CCMs already to go where my primary account goes.  I needed a few hours to go to a school function and asked for that leave.  I have never been responded to by my CCM.  Is this usual?  I put up my shift on the swapboard, said I'd make the time up.  Etc. Etc. But no response at all.  Do we ever get leave when asked? Or am I to say no to my child from now on.  I j ...

VR Versus Standard
Aug 23, 2012

We are told not to over edit VR reports, but the reports must be verbatim.  It's mutually exclusive! ...

Is There No Standard Of Quality In QA?
Sep 17, 2013

i am on 100% QA and am constantly confused.  I am corrected for things, ask my coach.  She tells me QA is correct.  Then when I change it how she says to I get it changed back to the way I was doing it before~!  I love Fluency, i am amazingly fast at it but i think QA will ultimately do me in...for doing what i'm told to do...GRRRRR ...

What Happened To Standard Forms?
Sep 22, 2011

Suddenly we have new QA and it's gotten crazy! We have some new PA's that dictate things so out of order as compared to the "norm" and QA wants us to give it to them instead of making reports alike as we were trained to do.  I've had some dictate drug allergies in review of systems and medications in the plan and QA wants this. I don't get it. I just don't understand how a doctor can know to check the plan for what meds a patient is on.  I also have a PA that ...

New QA Standard January 2014
Sep 23, 2013

They are now going to require 99.6% up from 99.5%.  Oh yeah.  How is this going to go?  Looks to me like a lot of us will be out.  Is this even humanly possible?  Maybe I should be a weatherman.  They can be wrong 50% of the time and keep their jobs.  HA. More stress for us.  It makes me physically ill anymore.  Too much stress. ...

If QA Score Is Below Standard, Do They Take Away Benefits?
Dec 28, 2013

I went from near-perfect and had 100% at one point down to 95%. Can they take away my insurance? ...

Problem With Standard/normal
Jan 03, 2014

Okay pulled in PE and major ARGH!!! I was told that tenses need to match.  However, in this particular case whoever entered it was jumping back between past and present.  Another  time consuming thing I get to do.  Interesting how that works. REALLY???????????????????????????? ...

My BOS Is Old -- What's The Current Rule/standard Wrt To:
Sep 11, 2014

apostrophes?  eg. ADLs or ADL's I gather that the move to make hard-measured units (rather than eyeballed measuired -- such as:  a 5-mm screw versus a 5 mm laceration -- died years ago. Is this correct? I'm anticipating doing some testing for a new position and don't want to fail this sort of "basics" Thanks!     ...

Acute Care - Define Please! And Standard 4
Jan 14, 2010

I have been an MT for 16 years and I am still not totally sure what "acute care" means and it is on almost every ad.  Does this always include Ops notes?  I also can only make educated guesses about what the Standard Four are too.  I am frantically looking for a job - no work at my current one - and I need to understand these terms better so I don't waste my time.  I have no Ops experience and seems everyone wants this.  Discouraging.  I have done only ER work ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Standard 10
Aug 28, 2011

I purchased and installed this application for some classes I am taking.  I thought it would save time with notes etc and it does ------ when functioning properly. I also contemplated the medical version for my transcription.   It is probably just me, I am sure, but I just do not know how to fine tune.  The only thing I know to do when I run into a problem is to uninstall and rei nstall.  To my knowledge there is no technical support. &nb ...

1st Pay Period With Nuance - ? About Meeting Standard
Aug 12, 2012

I am full time & started training class the last week of July so this is my 1st full pay period.  I know we are required to make $900 a pay period, but I can't find my offer letter and can't remember if this was after you'd worked 90 days, or that after 90 days they will check to see if you are averaging. (?)  I've done straight type & made a little over 100 lph so far with getting used to the platform/dictators and inputting type shortcuts & templates. ...

Does TransTech Have A Standard 90-day Wait For Insurance? Nm
Dec 11, 2013

xx ...

Olympus DSS Standard Player V1.0 To Play Ds2 Files
Dec 31, 2010

I am typing ds2 files and am using the above player which the olympus representative said was created to play ds2 files.  however, I have tried taken the file from the place it was sent to me and it seemed to import into Folder A.  But the file never could be seen in Folder A or the transcriptionist Tray.  I did this many many many times with the same result.  The Olympus rep told me to go to the message folder and copy and paste it into Folder A.  I then could see it in ...