A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Double pay cut - WW

Posted: May 31, 2010

It seems to me that when you pay "weighted lines" which equal about two thirds of lines actually produced, and then pay less for those weighted lines, it is a double cut in pay. They would already be paying less because of the "weighted lines", and then to pay less per line seems criminal.  Twice as productive should equate to twice as much pay.....I'm about to go under.....

please explain - weighted lines

[ In Reply To ..]
more thoroughly. I have seen this mentioned in the past from MTs who have been in the business for many years, but I don't fully understand it. Thank you.

Weighted Lines - WW

[ In Reply To ..]
Apparently the company I work for thinks speech recognition is easier and because the machine transcribes apparently one-third of the work, we only are paid for two-thirds, so they deduct approximately one-third of the lines that we actually produce in speech recognition, and pay us for what is left, hence "weighted lines", and then they pay less per line on those also.....double loss in pay to me. It still takes the time to listen to the report and you still have to know something to know if it is correct, but that is apparently worth nothing. Just production. Do more, make less.

That is a rotten deal... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Pretty soon, we will be paying them to work! NOT! I'm going back to waitressing here shortly, I can make more money.

I don't think you understand how your pay works - SpherisMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
Your pay is not cut twice. If you figure on weighted lines, you would times that by your normal line rate. If you figure on all SR lines, you get paid the SR rate. Maybe you should ask your supervisor to explain this to you as you obviously don't understand how it works.

weighted lines - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
I was wondering about this as well!

Please tell us which company--this is horrible! - workingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Surely you have misunderstood. This is ridiculous! Wonder if they charge the hospital/clinic for all the lines?

I know MTSOs get paid less for VR lines, but they still charge for all of them!

No misunderstanding - WW

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't you wonder?? I think the company is making plenty of money....they must be for what they are paying (one third of my voice recognition lines are free apparently) and I surely am not the only one with this drastic cut in pay. I wish I had a legal recourse, but alas...

definitely time to find - a new job!!!

[ In Reply To ..]
too bad there isn't some way we could all stand together to stop these constant pay cuts and get back the respect/ability to earn a living that we used to enjoy...... it's getting worse all the time

S1 Transcription - jumaji

[ In Reply To ..]
if your're planning to work with S1 Transcription owned by Debra/Tony Herrin, well... good luck! This company SUCKS! they dont pay their transcriptionist

Which company? - BH

[ In Reply To ..]

This is Medquist that does this.  When I was hired by Spheris, we talked about weighted lines, but since Medquist took over, they have decided that because of the weighted lines policy, they are increasing SR lines required to 192 per hour.

Correct, Spheris/MedQuist - WW

[ In Reply To ..]
It has to be a crime...

Weighted lines versus weighted dictation - oldschool

[ In Reply To ..]
I understand what you are saying about the double-dipping into your pay in the circumstance you describe, and I agree that policy is horribly skewed.

However, for those who remember weighted dictation, we remember the pay was increased. At one place where I worked, harder dictators received a percentage of time added on to their dictation. If they dictated 10 mins, we were credited for maybe 25% more (around 12.50 mins). We had a daily quota of 125 mins per day, so this helped us meet our quota without penalizing us for taking more time with those dictators.

I do not believe I could work for the company that you do under the current system they have.

Most companies pay less for VR/SR lines. Weighted - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
lines means that you are paid more for those lines for difficult dictators, don't see much of that any more.

It's time to quit! - Jean

[ In Reply To ..]
It's time to quit and move on to something else. It's also time we did something about the abuse these MTSOs dish out. I wish there was some way of organizing all of us into a union! Cutting your pay twice is outrageous. Cutting it even once because of VR is outrageous. Whatever happened to the days when the ordinary worker got to share financially in an increase in productivity? Which MTSO is this, anyway? I sure don't want to work for them. "Weighted lines".....what a bunch of crap! Who is this company, anyhow?? I lost $200 every twice-a-month pay period when they brought in editing and I quit after enduring it for a year when I couldn't make any more money (after giving it time to learn, which it did not). And of course management didn't care because they were paying cheap wages, while all the while the continued to charge their customers the same amount of money! When I asked for a raise, I was told no. Repeatedly. That's when I figured out for certain that MTSOs NEVER give pay raises, they just cut your pay ik they do anything. But "weighed" lines? It's time to quit. Because of that kind of pay cut, I would really have to think hard about giving them the courtesy of giving notice. And I've never done that to an employer! But enough's enough. They don't deserve notice.

Double pay cut - BH

[ In Reply To ..]
This company is Spheris/Medquist.

The company I work for does something like this - tiredoftyping

[ In Reply To ..]
They gave me some kind of formula they use to figure out our lines, but I know we don't get paid for all of them, just a percentage. I would love to find someplace else to work, but as everyone knows, that is easier said than done. So, less than one year of school left and I am out of this career, so just going to try and ride it out.

No, this is not right - Spherite

[ In Reply To ..]
The weighted lines is just used as how to figure out your quota requirement. They do pay for your actual SR lines produced at your SR rate.

The weighting is just the formula to show you how many lines you need to get to make minimums and/or the paycheck you are used to seeing. Which means 127 transcribed lines equals 192 SR lines.

It still sucks because the VR is so bad you can hardly ever get 192 lph so your paycheck stinks. It's a double pay cut in THAT sense for sure, not to mention all the spaces that Cornerstone steals from us.

The "formula" - WW

[ In Reply To ..]
means one-third of your SR lines are done for FREE.....Those lines were actually produced by you, you still had to look at and listen to the whole report and correct all the stupid errors, and spend the time to do the reports properly, yet the "formula" only gives you credit for 2/3 of them.....If you are paid, for example 0.07 for transcription (and there is less of that), then paid 0.05 for speech recognition, then only paid that 0.05 for 2/3 of the speech recognition lines you actually produced, your pay is cut twice. They already pay less for speech recognition and then they simply take one-third of those lines away from your production, hence company profits. I do not believe it has to do with lines per hour. I find speech recognition more tedious and time consuming than just typing the report from scratch, but I wouldn't mind doing it if I were being paid for all the actual lines I have produced in a day's work. It sucks no matter how you look at it.

but they DO pay for all your SR lines, sm - Spherite

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you about all that how awful it is. It sucks. It's a pay cut and it takes me longer to edit than transcribe. All that I agree on. My paycheck has declined to the point that I am quitting before summer is over.

But anyway, all this 2/3 line talk, that is only to calculate production requirements. They PAY for every SR line in your finished document. Ccheck your lines every day, add them up, and look at your paycheck. Mine is right. Yours should be too.

Similar Messages:

Double J Or JJ Tube?
Mar 27, 2010

nm ...

Double-J Stent
Apr 19, 2010

double-J stent, Princess (?)  4.8 x 26 cm stent    he's not saying "princess"....is he ? ...

Double Standard
Mar 29, 2011

Time and time again it is reiterated the importance for us to remain professional, as we are a reflection of MQ.  For example, never say "poor dictator" because this may be insulting to the holy than thou doctor, PA or RN.  What about the annoying PA that constantly insults me by saying in middle of her dictation, "note to my typist."  And this is not insulting?  All the training, years of experience and BS I have to put up with to be called a "typist" repeatedly.  ...

Why The Double Standard
May 20, 2011

I read the job description for a production MT on the CBay India website and here are a few of the interesting requirements they must meet: Transcribing the given data for the day i.e. 450 to 900 lines per day as per the specified capacity of the MT. Production at least 75-80% accuracy in terms of medical terminology, American English, grammar, spellings, punctuation and formatting. Work closely with his/her QCE and making efforts consistently to upgrade his/her skills in terms of m ...

Double Words
Mar 26, 2015

Has anyone noticed that double words are not coming up on spell check any longer?  I can't find it anywhere to make it stop again at double words -- does anyone know how to do that?  Thanks! ...

CT Angio--double Surge?
Aug 06, 2010

This is an ESL and it sounds like he is saying "performed in the double-surge CT scanner," but I can't verify this anywhere.  Is this correct?  ...

Double S/l Eliga Clipped
Dec 17, 2010

The cystic duct is noted at the inferior portion of the infundibulum and is very small. This is double _____("eliga") clipped near the apparent junction of the common bile duct. ...

Double Words And Other Things
Apr 13, 2011

Thanks to all who replied.  I wonder if my spellcheck is even turned on because the double words are not being caught.  I have even wondered if the software is putting words in.  I've been transcribing for many years but only started SR.  I'm also worry that my brain is getting too old to spot discrepancies, yet in other areas of my life, errors jump out at me to the point of being almost an obsession.  Otherwise, being with MQ has been fine.   T ...

Double Check Or Doublecheck?
Jul 13, 2011

It is always one way or the other? Or is it like followup? ...

Double Click Does 2 Different Functions At Once!
Nov 30, 2012

In ASR, it will highlight the word you double click and also it will put the audio back to that point. In straight transcription, it will highlight the word and take the audio all the way back to the beginning. And they won't fix it! - because I am never to take my hands off the keyboard???!! I find mousing quicker to follow ASR. I've tried cursor tracking, but it rarely ends up exactly where I want and I either end up having to use the keyboard or mouse (depending upon ...

Does Anyone Actually Even Double Their Line Count Doing SR Work?
Aug 23, 2012

I am new to SR and not doing any better line count wise then I do straight typing?  Am I doing something wrong...I heard that your line count should double....help!!! ...

Another Reason For Dr's To Double-check Their Reports
Jul 19, 2013

This woman underwent 7 months of chemo for breast cancer and didn't even have it!! The dr. misread the PET CT scan - and what, no one else caught it in 7 months? I think this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as medical malpractice goes, and I don't think her settlement was near enough!! ...

Has Anyone Else Double Checked Their Line Counts Lately?
Oct 11, 2013

I used to have no problems getting 200+, now have all I can do to get 150 and have been written up for same.  I do not see any change on the policy.  Anyone else? ...

Inlay Or Onlay Double-J Stent?
Apr 30, 2015

I can only find confirmation for a Bard Inlay Optima double-J stent. The doctor is clearly saying Onlay Optima stent. Is there an Onlay Optima stent? TIA. ...

WMX/Nuance Insurance DOUBLE Rate For Zip Code!!
Nov 14, 2011

OMGGGG!!!  Already in shock at the high insurance rates, wondering how anyone could afford them with the high deductibles and co-pays, and got an e-mail that my zip code is out of their area and so my rates would be DOUBLE!!! For the same stinking high deductible and high co-pay plan???  My entire pay would not cover the insurance!!  Anyone else get such an e-mail, and what the heck are you going to do??  I am not in a "rural" area and am within 30 minutes of major medical ce ...

S/L Double-stemmed Brace For Subtalar Nonunion
May 29, 2013

s/l he is saying double-stemmed brace for subtalar nonunion.  I haven't typed since Sept of last year and I hope it comes back to me quickly.. any input appreciated.. ty~ ...

Experience With Double-monitor Computer Setups?
Apr 16, 2014

Have any of you worked on a computer set up with double monitors?  What are the benefits/drawbacks?  Would you recommend it as a personal investment for a remote coder?  How did your screen sharing function work; what do you keep on each screen?   Thanks for letting me pick your brains a little bit.  ...

MModal To Double Production In Mysore, India
Aug 13, 2014

See link ...

Spell Check Not Catching Double Words
Apr 09, 2015

The spell check in Fluency is not catching/correcting the double words...Help...Thanks. ...

Microsoft Word 2007 - Double Spacing Issue
Mar 04, 2010

I hope I have this on the right board.  I have a test to take in Microsoft word and it's "double spacing" and I can't see how to get it to single space.  Anyone know how???  Thanks in advance everyone. ...

Double Nitrogen Freeze Slip, Slick, Or Stick For Actinic Keratoses?
Jul 01, 2011

xx ...

Left Double *clocking* System In The Left Kidney Repaired. Thanks. Nm
Jan 19, 2010

nm ...

Placement Of "double Power" Hickman.
Feb 22, 2011

:) ...

EKG Taken With Double "esendarysation"
May 31, 2011

EKG taken with double "esendarysation". ...

Help, Double Space But I Want Single Space
Jul 08, 2014

I am transcribing in MS Office Word and using Medrite XL.  I hit enter and it automatically double spaces.  Don't know why that started but I need single space.  What do I do? ...