A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Experience with double-monitor computer setups? - CT

Posted: Apr 16, 2014

Have any of you worked on a computer set up with double monitors?  What are the benefits/drawbacks?  Would you recommend it as a personal investment for a remote coder?  How did your screen sharing function work; what do you keep on each screen?  

Thanks for letting me pick your brains a little bit. 

Interested in responses too - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
We have the Tabular in PDF and am SO glad! I don't know how anyone starting out would ever get through with a chart with a paper book. I was thinking if I had 2 screens I could keep the tabular on one and the coding program on the other. No clue how to set it up, though!

KVM switch for 2 monitors - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't used it for coding, but did have a 2 monitor setup in the past for MT because of an old system I needed to connect with that did not allow me to leave the program to look up anything. All you need is a KVM switch, which connects both monitors to your keyboard and mouse. It is inexpensive and easy to set up. There may be other ways too,but this was easy.

That's what I use currently - coding student

[ In Reply To ..]
I have my chart on one monitor so I can look at it while I can do my work on the other monitor. As far as coding from a book, that's how the certification exams are given so that's why it is important to know how to use it.

Have you started coding already? - That was quick

[ In Reply To ..]
Good for you guys!

no just the coding portions of our classes - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
we did the HIM book the previous 2 weeks.
Well, Thursday is here ... - are you finished yet?
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

On a serious note ... the chapters you are in now are the worst. They won't make a lot of sense until you begin using the information.

This is the learning to ride the bike phase.
LOL i do feel like its hurry up and get done - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
awesome. yeah it's a little irritating because I know just enough to be frustrated. I'm sure when I get my encoder things will go much more smoothly :)

Uh oh ... if you only have the tabular ... - Big Heap Problem Ahead

[ In Reply To ..]
What do you mean by you have a pdf of the tabular? Is that ALL you have? And how are you finding codes in it???

What are you doing, finding the section you think the code will be and just reading around until you see something you think looks good??

I am a little shocked that you can't imagine how one could code with a book. There are two problems with that. One is that it should be no different from an e-book. Two is that you will be severely handicapped on your certification exams if you cannot handle a book.

oh no we have the index and all that - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
keep in mind i'm just starting out...thanks for the heads up :)
Well, ok. Be sure to use it ... - Sigh
[ In Reply To ..]
Have to watch these young 'uns like a hawk ...
lol thanks for watching out for me :) - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
x

yes can't do without - double

[ In Reply To ..]
Especially with EMR and the many different programs you might have to work with. Like you said, you can read the chart on one and enter the codes on the other. Otherwise it's minimize, up and down, not fun. Most companies who hire remote coders do advertise that they will send you dual monitors. I have a free-standing monitor which I can hook up to my laptop for this. If you go to Youtube, there is a tutorial on there showing you how to do it!

Yes, dual here, too - A must!

[ In Reply To ..]
It is definitely worth it, and the cost is minimal.

double monitor - for coding

[ In Reply To ..]
I just started my coding career and we have a double monitor. I keep the medical record on one and the coding program on the other. Also as far as electronic versus print code books, at my job we use both. Print code books are provided by the department and each coder has their own set. For times when the electronic is down, the books come in handy. It is good to know both.

2 monitors - WXYZ

[ In Reply To ..]
I use 2 monitors at work as well. I keep several programs open during the day and it works well, although when working with 2 monitors was first described to me, I thought it was strange, now I can't imagine anything else. Ditto to keeping the chart open on one side and the other things you need on the other. I can't explain the set up as I work on site and our IT department takes care of that. Nearly all of our computer set-ups, facility wide, involve double monitors, so a lot of people must like working that way. I would also vouch for learning to use your coding books, for those rare times when the server is down. You may also need that for future exams. Also, there is quite a bit contained in print form (guidelines, etc.) that may not be available electronically.

WXYZ - Just wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
WXYZ, there is a post by you on the M*Modal board in which you describe that your job involves cutting and pasting bits and pieces of transcription into Epic, and you bemoan the fact that you are stuck correcting others' transcription errors when it would have been faster to type it yourself.

How then are you also so knowledgeable about the needs of coders that you can advise on equipment and how they should use it?
What's it matter? - what she said is true
[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure why you feel the need to make an issue with it. Perhaps she does both.
Why? - WXYZ
[ In Reply To ..]
I do a number of things at work, some of it involves transcription quality assessment, but I also work on projects where I use double monitors. I have seen them in use facility wide where I work. I also know the needs of coders because I have coding background and work around coders all day long. I shared my experience using a double monitor set up and explained why I like it. What's it to you, anyway? Do you want a detailed job description?
Okay, now I want a detailed job description - Because
[ In Reply To ..]
your job sounds AWESOME! How did you get it and what do you do!
Work duties - WXYZ
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. However, I do medical record abstracting and transcription quality assessment. I got the job when our MT department folded (Epic/outsourcing) and layoffs at my facility were imminent. I started as an abstractor and then was offered the QA gig. It's not awesome but it pays the bills. Now it's your turn - what do you do and how did you get your job?
Not being sarcastic at all - I do charging
[ In Reply To ..]
for our hospital's provider based billing clinics. The hope is to complete my coding education and certification and move into an actual coding job. But nothing is certain anymore, so I guess we will see what happens.
Thank you for sharing - WXYZ
[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't sure if you were the same person who called me out for having the nerve to address the dual monitor question even though technically I don't code. I studied coding and that can be helpful in other areas. Actually I would love my job if it weren't for the office politics and drama queens in my office. Best of luck in pursuit of coding jobs.

I use a 2 monitors/displays - KCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I use a laptop with an external monitor attached, as well as an external USB ergo keyboard when at home.

It's easy to set up. Most laptaps have a monitor connection pin port on the side. Just plug your secondary monitor in.

Your secondary screen may appear black or have the same information as your primary, either way do the following.

Right click anywhere on your desktop. Choose Screen Resolution. In the box for Multiple Displays, arrow down to Extend These Displays.

At the top there is a picture of two monitors, choose which one you wish to make you primary, usually your laptop. Also you can drag and drop their positions depending upon how your workstation is set up. If your secondary display is on the left , then drag #2 monitor over to the left. This helps tremendously with using your mouse. If you're not sure which monitor is which, just click Identify, and 1 and 2 appear on the screens of your monitors.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. - CT

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually have double monitor capabilities, but seeing as I don't currently have a true need for both, I leave my laptop screen off when working from a larger desktop monitor. But I was curious to see how they were used in coding. The actual setting up the system isn't necessarily the question, though I'm glad to see integration isn't a terribly difficult thing to fight with. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Similar Messages:

No Monitor With Q Computer???
Oct 13, 2009

When the Q supplies the computer, don't they send a monitor?  Just got the tower, keyboard and mouse.  ...

MQ Monitor
Jun 09, 2010

I received a "new" NEC LCD17V monitor from MQ today.  In the monitor box was a base and a small black plastic piece inside a small plastic bag.  I cannot for the life of me figure out what the small black plastic piece is for.  Any ideas?  TIA. ...

Double Pay Cut
May 31, 2010

It seems to me that when you pay "weighted lines" which equal about two thirds of lines actually produced, and then pay less for those weighted lines, it is a double cut in pay. They would already be paying less because of the "weighted lines", and then to pay less per line seems criminal.  Twice as productive should equate to twice as much pay.....I'm about to go under..... ...

Fetal Monitor Help
Dec 06, 2009

Fetal heart rate strip showed deep variable decelerations down to a s/l "nater" of 90 beats per minute.   Help? ...

Holter Monitor
Dec 13, 2009

Ok I am working on a results of a Holter monitor. It sounds like he is saying "no evidence of highly gravy blocks or syncope." Does anyone know what he might be saying? ...

S/l Klemmisher Monitor
Feb 10, 2010

Cardiology monitoring couplets, triplets and PVCs s/l Klemmisher monitor.  Thanks! ...

Cardiology Monitor
Apr 29, 2011

The sentence is:  Periods of heart racing perhaps supraventricular tachycardia. We will schedule a week long S/L hebettin monitor???? HELP! ...

Help With Seeing The Screen On Monitor!!!
Aug 01, 2011

Hello all:  Hope someone might be able to help me or steer me in the right direction. I just started a new job that uses Fusion RIS 5.0. When I open the program the left side of the screen has a RIS editor and the right side has all the patient demographics.  I have to type in Arial 11 in the editor after I call up a template shell.  After typing for several hours, my eyes get really strained.  Is there a way I could make that part of my screen larger without affecting t ...

TransTech - Why MT Monitor Is Still Being Used?
Dec 28, 2011

Does anyone have a clue why MT Monitor is still being used?  With a name like "MT Monitor Watchdog" attached to it and running on my PC, it kinda creeps me out. I've asked management and have yet to get a reply other than "still testing."  OK, so they've been "testing" it for over 2 years now.  What's up with that? ...

Monitor And PC Come Seperately??
Nov 25, 2013

Came today.  I wasn't home and Fed Ex left it in my bushes...only a monitor.  Kinda freaking out because 1.  Makes me wonder if somebody stole something 2.  If not WHY do they send them seperately???? how maddening! ...

Double J Or JJ Tube?
Mar 27, 2010

nm ...

Double-J Stent
Apr 19, 2010

double-J stent, Princess (?)  4.8 x 26 cm stent    he's not saying "princess"....is he ? ...

Double Standard
Mar 29, 2011

Time and time again it is reiterated the importance for us to remain professional, as we are a reflection of MQ.  For example, never say "poor dictator" because this may be insulting to the holy than thou doctor, PA or RN.  What about the annoying PA that constantly insults me by saying in middle of her dictation, "note to my typist."  And this is not insulting?  All the training, years of experience and BS I have to put up with to be called a "typist" repeatedly.  ...

Why The Double Standard
May 20, 2011

I read the job description for a production MT on the CBay India website and here are a few of the interesting requirements they must meet: Transcribing the given data for the day i.e. 450 to 900 lines per day as per the specified capacity of the MT. Production at least 75-80% accuracy in terms of medical terminology, American English, grammar, spellings, punctuation and formatting. Work closely with his/her QCE and making efforts consistently to upgrade his/her skills in terms of m ...

Double Words
Mar 26, 2015

Has anyone noticed that double words are not coming up on spell check any longer?  I can't find it anywhere to make it stop again at double words -- does anyone know how to do that?  Thanks! ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Own Personal Computer Versus MQ Supplied Computer?
Jul 18, 2011

The reason I ask this question is for my internet I have a USB modem.  Do the computers supplied by Q have any extra USB ports so I can plug my Verizon in there? Thanks! ...

Change From Company-provided Computer To Own Computer
Aug 04, 2011

I am in the process of transitioning jobs and will be going from a company-provided computer to my own.  Any suggestions on what software programs are needed, virus protection, word expanders, line counting, and hardware like foot pedal?  The hospital I am looking into will be using Microsoft Word.  Any comments on whether this is a good program or not to transcribe on?  Any tips?  I have been with the same company for 15 years, so have been out of the loop and need ...

PEARS? In Holter Monitor
Jan 08, 2011

premature atrial contractions, with few episodes of PEARS? ...

Monitor Bigger Than 19 Inches?
Jul 06, 2011

I have MS Word, IT, Bytescribe, and WordPad all up side-by-side at the same time.  Then when I need to get on the internet I minimize those.  I'm thinking it might be nice with a bigger screen to spread MS Word out bigger so the print will be bigger and easier to read.  I know I could make it bigger by changing it from say 100% to 150% but I don't like to go bigger than the page width.  I also might be able to leave the internet open too with a bigger monitor. Has ...

CT Angio--double Surge?
Aug 06, 2010

This is an ESL and it sounds like he is saying "performed in the double-surge CT scanner," but I can't verify this anywhere.  Is this correct?  ...

Double S/l Eliga Clipped
Dec 17, 2010

The cystic duct is noted at the inferior portion of the infundibulum and is very small. This is double _____("eliga") clipped near the apparent junction of the common bile duct. ...

Double Words And Other Things
Apr 13, 2011

Thanks to all who replied.  I wonder if my spellcheck is even turned on because the double words are not being caught.  I have even wondered if the software is putting words in.  I've been transcribing for many years but only started SR.  I'm also worry that my brain is getting too old to spot discrepancies, yet in other areas of my life, errors jump out at me to the point of being almost an obsession.  Otherwise, being with MQ has been fine.   T ...

Double Check Or Doublecheck?
Jul 13, 2011

It is always one way or the other? Or is it like followup? ...

Double Click Does 2 Different Functions At Once!
Nov 30, 2012

In ASR, it will highlight the word you double click and also it will put the audio back to that point. In straight transcription, it will highlight the word and take the audio all the way back to the beginning. And they won't fix it! - because I am never to take my hands off the keyboard???!! I find mousing quicker to follow ASR. I've tried cursor tracking, but it rarely ends up exactly where I want and I either end up having to use the keyboard or mouse (depending upon ...

MT Monitor -- Anyone Use This Line Count Program
Jan 02, 2010

Has anyone used this line count program?  I can't find much info about it, other than a company page on the 'net. ...

Best Way To Clean A Flat Screen Monitor?
Nov 29, 2011

I try not to even touch the monitor too much because of the plasma (or whatever it is inside there) but my flat screens could really use some cleaning.  What do you use to clean yours?  One of ours even has a smudge of nail polish on it where one of the girls pointed at something and and her nail polish rubbed off on the monitor.  Help!!! ...

When Returning Equipment, Will MQ Want The Monitor Back
Dec 31, 2011

as well?  Last time I quit they only wanted the tower back.  Preparing to leave very, very soon but haven't given notice yet so thought I would ask you guys. ...

My Flat Screen Monitor Has Like A Film On The
Jan 02, 2012

screen and I cant seem to get it off.  I dont know what it is.  It is a whitish film smeary looking.  Any suggestions. ...

Cardiology Procedure, S/l Nexen Monitor
Jan 04, 2012

. ...