A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What my coder friends said - And I quote

Posted: Mar 12, 2014

"Idiots!!!  Take the FREE LUNCH!"

"OMG!  What is wrong with them?"

"Who ARE these people?   Are they insane?  They have to be insane."

"And they think coders only make that much?  Hahahahaha!"

"Seriously?  They think a 2-year commitment is a problem?  Wow. Just wow."

"Sticky notes?  They would pass on this because of STICKY NOTES?"

"Nobody told me there were sticky notes.  Are they special or something?  Are we going to order some?  Will there be a choice of colors?"

So you're saying she has no experience with MM... - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

LOL, good one. But the OP on this one is right - ARE THEY CRAZY??

[ In Reply To ..]
But, to all the naysayers, I say carry on because the more who pass on it the better my chances.

I have been an MT for eons and this sort of "gift" does not come along often.

Oh, I'm sure it'll be "the gift that keeps on giving", - alright.

[ In Reply To ..]

you can't talk to these people - their minds are made up

[ In Reply To ..]
a few will hear, a few will listen, the rest will bash.

Coders - If I wanted to be a coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I would take an accredited coder course; either at the local college, online or however they teach it, but not through this bunch. I checked into coding a few years ago (through the mail) and I have known coders in the past and if it is something I truly wanted to pursue I would do it that way. I wouldn't trust M*M with anything and what are they saying? No more transcription, only coding? I don't work for M*M any longer, got out when it was still Medquist, so about four years, but I would really question this. There are other jobs out there and if you want to be a coder, do it the right way and not with empty promises, that you may end up paying for dearly and not even end up a coder and what if this company does go belly up, then what. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't!

As you stated you no longer work at MM. - So you kinda do not know

[ In Reply To ..]
what you are talking about.

You didn't get the e-mail, you have no idea what "promises" are being made ( a clue, none), nor do you know what they are even offering other than what you see here.

I have been an MT for a very long time, it is a good opportunity based on the information I currently have seen. I am taking that test and I hope I am one of the 60.

A lot of what you are seeing on this board is pure speculation. No one has even taking the first test to get into the program. And, frankly, I think the hysterical response to this program is bizarre.

No, what's REALLY bizarre is the fact that MTs - who hated this place with all of -

[ In Reply To ..]
their being last week, are suddenly exalting them for tossing them this scrap. Suddenly, I guess, M*M has suddenly seen the light. Yes, I'll bet that nasty old CEO even got the same little ping of light in his eye, and his heart grew three sizes overnight, just like the Grinch.

All that aside, however, a person's gotta wonder how badly anyone really wants to be a coder, if they're willing to take such a huge chance during the two EXTREMELY CRUCIAL years ahead. These years will be crucial for all of medicine, not just coders or MTs. If coding is what you think you were meant to do, it would only seem logical to want to take a more direct approach to learning it and getting certified, by going to an established school with lots of experience, and a good reputation, rather than just crossing your fingers and HOPING M*M will teach you enough to MAYBE sit for a credentialing test at some point two years from now.

If I wanted to get into coding, I'd take the most direct and reliable route possible to get into the field ASAP, before it becomes saturated. I most certainly wouldn't waste 2 years diddling around at M*M, hoping I'd learn enough to be a certified coder. Regardless of how I felt about the company. Even if M*M were the nicest bunch of people on earth (which, unfortunately, they are NOT), I still wouldn't want to risk my future as a coder by hanging around working for them, and hoping they know enough about it to teach it properly.

I didn't hate MModal last week. - So strike me off that list
[ In Reply To ..]
I came from Nuance, if you want a lesson in working for a rotten company, you need to spend 2 years there.

MModal is like an oasis after Nuance and I have never said a negative word about MModal on this board. I have praised them and have been called every nasty name in the book for daring to do it.

My take on the coding program is that it's a sweet deal. If it isn't and I get burned, how exactly does that concern you? And, if I don't get burned and it does turn out good, how exactly does that concern you.

You have every right to come on here and say how much you hate MM and how much you hate a man you have never met. And that you think this program is a horrible, rotten, nasty thing to do to people. Whatever gets you through the day.

"Oh, bummer. They cut off my leg! But I'm at - least thankful they didnt cut off the other one."
[ In Reply To ..]
S
What? I don't think I speak your language - earthling
[ In Reply To ..]
Look, I'll just say it. I am good at my job, I don't whine, I work, I get good QA scores.

Unlike some, I don't need to vilify MModal who seem to need to make themselves feel better about their own failures as an MT.

oooh snap! I felt that burn all the way over here. - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
x
agree! - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been with this company for almost 30 years (was a different name at that time). It seems that if you are happy at mmodal that is when you will get slammed on this website. This site is full of trolls who love to be negative. Glad you are happy too! and you do have every right to say what you want on here. I agree why do these people stay if they are so miserable...

Think about it. Naysayers and those bashing - are either doing so

[ In Reply To ..]
trying to put the fear of God to discourage and make the competition leaner, or they are just those who are going to be negative about anything. Last week they bashed the company in general, this week they have a new topic to swing around. In the end, 2 years from now, they'll still be on here ragging about how bad Mmodal is, yet still be employed transcribing. Sad really and can't be easy living with negativity day in and day out.

I chose to pass on this one, but for my own personal reasons. To those who apply and are accepted, kudos to you! I really don't think there is anything to lose and something to be gained. Good luck!

naysayers, etc - NEMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have read all the comments (well most of them anyway) about the Mmodal coding classes. There are pros and cons on both sides of the coin. that being said, I don't think I would bash anyone who is looking to get out of MT, call them stupid, etc. In these times, you take what you can get and hope to move forward. Having said that, I plan to take early retirement in just under 2 years and it would be a waste of my time and Mmodal's to try for this course. When I am done with the medical field, I will be done. I have been in it since 1972 and have seen many many changes, not all of them good. So for those who go for it, I hope it works out for you. For those who don't, please don't call names. People are just trying to survive.

My advice to those deciding to take the course: - Get everything in WRITING, first. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't sign anything until you've shown your agreement to an attorney. Maybe a couple of attorneys. Find out what this course is going to cost you. Because believe me, nothing in life is free, and this course won't be any different. But those costs will be hidden, and you'll need to be really good at ferreting them out. Compare those costs (be sure to add in extra money for unexpected surprises, because you know there will be those, too), to what it would cost you to take the course at Andrews, or other schools like them. Find out if this coding job is going to be only temporary, because it might just be. Ask if they intend to fully automate the coding process in the foreseeable future. Document everything, and keep documenting as you take the course, and continue working for the company, both as a part-time MT during training, and during your 2-year "apprenticeship" as a coder. If something doesn't seem right, talk to your attorney about it.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Definitely the bashers are the ones - fighting to stay, when in

[ In Reply To ..]
Reality, they should be leaving or looking forward to finally getting out, for some odd, unexplainable reason they are wanting to stick around and take up space. Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I think they're realizing their jobs weren't so bad after all.

Sorry, but by the end of this year, it's highly likely - that NOBODY will be transcribing.

[ In Reply To ..]
And a day is coming where nobody will be coding anymore, either. At least not in the U.S.

Like lambs to the slaughter - bemyguest

[ In Reply To ..]
You people sound a little naïve. This is MModal we are taking about, right? This is the same company that most of you have probably been complaining is nickel and diming you into the poorhouse. You think they won't continue that in the coding department? Coders may make good money now, but if this program starts a trend, coding will go the way of transcription in no time at all. You all must realize this.

Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for the announcement from the big N that they are starting a similar program because you know that isn't far behind.

And the point is? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The whole world stinks, oh well.

I think the MT biz is just about cooked, fork descending.

If coding buys me a couple of years, it's all good.

I may agree with you - But

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you in that I am not taking this class, getting out of this company as fast as I can, but I would not criticize people who are taking this class. Everyone must make their own decisions and calling them lambs to the slaughter is pretty harsh, don't you think? I support anyone who is trying to better themselves. I may not agree with their choices, but I still support them. No need to call names. Everyone is scared and desperate these days, no need to add gas to the fire, or is that your intention?

There is no need to add gas to this fire - baby

[ In Reply To ..]
Mmodal and the like have burned this business to the ground all on their own. I agree with the above poster and see absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out that this is a shady offer, to say the least. Everyone knows how Mmodal treats people. To think this coding will somehow be different is absolutely naïve. Scared and desperate is exactly how they want you. Don't think this isn't a calculated move.

I think it is a stupid idea and have no problem saying it. If those that want to take the chance are confident in their decision then what do they care what I think?

We are all adults here. If you can't handle criticism you are in the wrong place.

My coder friend took 4 years of college to get - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
her degree, then tested for certification, got a very low paying job in a hospital, advanced over many years, and is being paid NOT hourly any amount but by piecework. But, she can apply for work anywhere with her degree and certification.

I fear if you live by Mmodal coding, you will die by Mmodal coding and be useful to no one outside of Mmodal.

So, how is that different than being an MT - for MModal

[ In Reply To ..]
You are all looking at this the wrong way.

This isn't for an 18 year old planning the rest of their life. This is for the MT who plans to say with MModal, or at least hopes to, for more than 2 years.

It is what it is. Not one person on here said they were promised $30 an hour and a career.

It is simply a way to switch jobs within the same company. Easy Peasy. what's the big freaking deal.

I think people are pinning BIG HOPES on this deal - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
for a BIG AND BRIGHT future and are being sorely misled. As I noted, coding is way more competetive if you don't work for Mmodal, coding is also going the way of complete automation, and if you need to work more than 2 years, it is NOT the way to go, especially just with MM. You will be just as screwed in 2 years as you are now.
Huh, guess I missed those posts - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't see a single post about a "big and bright" future. Mostly just people trying to maneuver in an uncertain industry. Seems logical.

Also, who, exactly, is misleading these poor naive darlings? I'm curious, have you read the MModal e-mail regarding this program? There was nothing particularly big and bright promised within it.

As a rule MTs seem to be a pessimistic bunch, most appear to be going into this with a tiny spark of hope that they might just keep their jobs for a couple more years and maybe, just maybe come out of it with a skill that is more marketable than MT.

I wonder what your investment is in trying to stop them from doing that.
My investment, none whatsoever. I turned 62 - L&L
[ In Reply To ..]
last year and only plan to work until I get fired. Then it's a free ride on the government and my ex's TIAA-CREF money.

Just love getting ya'll riled over something you have absolutely no clue about. MTs are such suckers.
Yeah, that's what I figured. - Nothing to say, nothing to offer
[ In Reply To ..]
Good to know you just like to insult people to give yourself a thrill.

It's these small pleasures that make life worth living.

If I had a 4-year degree in anything, I sure wouldn't - want to be paid by piecework. That sucks big-time.

[ In Reply To ..]

She makes good money, but she's been doing this - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
20+ years. Just like MTs. We get paid piece rate, and I'm making 19/hr, which I can live with since I can retire any time I want.

There's no such thing as a "free lunch." "If it - looks too good to be true, it likely is."

[ In Reply To ..]
asdf

Similar Messages:

Why Can't We Be Friends???
Nov 24, 2009

JUST A THOUGHT OR TWO!!  I have to say that I am tired of this being a battle between the seasoned versus the newbies! I love being a MT and have been successfully doing it from home (with a 2 year old and a 2 month old nonetheless) for the past 2+ years (I do not work an 8-5, but instead work around my kids and often am typing late at night, which is fine by me...and I make a pretty decent wage as a newer MT)!  But I would NOT be where I am without my great friend and "mentor" who ha ...

Farewell, My Friends
Jul 23, 2012

After 17 years, I resigned this morning. I will not be working anymore, and am very nervous at the prospect of living on my pension (from my former long-term employment) and social security, but after the MM support took remote control of my computer on Friday, could not fix the problem with DQS7, and totally messed up all the settings my new personal computer to the point I had to take it to my private IT support, for which I had to pay, I'd Almost had Enough. The icing on the cake was g ...

A Good MQ Gift To All Our ILP Friends Out There
Mar 11, 2010

Probably Not Gonna Make Any Friends With This One, But...
Aug 26, 2011

I'm seeing a lot of these, “I hate my job” threads lately. To be fair, it's mostly aimed at Medquist, and other similar entities, but still.  Gotta keep your chins up guys. As a student, I find these kinds of threads very disheartening. In the very near future I'll be joining the ranks, and I won't lie; I would be tickled pink to be making minimum wage, or any wage whatsoever. A hundred dollars a week would be great for me. Obviously that's not ideal, b ...

Goodby My QC Friends. It Has Been A Pleasure All
May 22, 2015

last shift. I refuse to take part in the grid that starts tomorrow under the false guise of "patient safety." Nothing about this grid encourages safety, it only shouts survival. While I do care about the patients, I also care about my family and their ability to have a roof over their head. I understand the MLS have put up with this for quite a while, but in the case of QC, 2 weeks notice that we are ripping $400 or more weekly from your pay BUT we expect the same amount of work is ludicrou ...

Question For Coder & Coder 2
Sep 28, 2013

When asked to code pulmonary nodule, with no other information, how can you tell the correct code?  Under nodule I see pulmonary, solitary 793.11, I see lung, solitary 793.11 & solitary, lung 518.89. I already know that the 518 one is correct but I have no idea why. ...

Need An Opinion From More Computer-oriented Friends Please ... (sm)
Jul 27, 2010

I am looking to purchase a second computer to use for work.  Can someone please tell me if this would be a really good and FAST computer to purchase?  It is a Dell. Processor:  Intel Pentium D Processor Speed (per core) 3.4 GHz, Dual Core Memory (RAM):  4GB Hard Drive Capacity:  500 GB I get so confused with the processors and the hard drive capacity but I know that I definitely want the 4GB (have 2 now and it is toooooo slow). Thanks so much in advance!!!!   ...

Sleep Apnea Because Of Mexican Friends?
Apr 12, 2012

Doing a consultation in which the doctor is trying to figure out if the patient's has sleep apnea.  He says a list of reasons: "...history of elevated body mass index, snoring, large Mexican friends and hypertension." I'm sure he can't actually be saying large Mexican friends, but I can't hear anything else! ...

Dear Friends: Please Give The Full Sentence
Aug 12, 2012

When asking for help, please give us a "running start" and as much info about the patient and their diagnosis as possible. Thanks. ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

MT To Coder?
Aug 28, 2011

Hello all.  I am currently an MT and for many reasons I am considering leaving that career.  I was wondering about coding and billing.  How is the pay?  As an MT I have seen the pay go down considerably over the years and was wondering if coding/billing is in the same boat. Also, would you recommend becoming a coder in this economy?  Which school has the best program?  Thanks. ...

Coder/cmt
Jan 15, 2012

Anyone who went into coding from MT, are/were you a CMT and if so did you keep your CMT credential up after being in coding a while or did you let it fall away seeing really no further need for it?  Having to keep up coding credentials is enough and I wonder if I really need to keep it.   Any reasons why I should keep it?  ...

MT To Coder
Feb 16, 2012

Question about coding bootcamps, does anyone have any experience with HCPro bootcamps?  I have been an MT for 17+ years and want to switch to coding.  Would this be appropriate for someone with my background?  Thanks for the help.  ...

MT-to-Coder
Nov 06, 2012

Deleted. ...

Not A Coder
Jul 26, 2013

I'm not a medical coder.  The only ties I have to the medical profession is that I'm a patient.  This transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10, exactly how is this happening.  Do you all have to go back to school to learn ICD-10?  From the outside looking in, it sounds like a major undertaking, but hopefully it's not. ...

An MT To A Coder
Sep 21, 2014

I am posting to (hopefully) give coding students hope, not to get dislikes on my post, but it is what it is. Here's my story: I graduated from coding school about a year ago, after being an MT for over 25 years. I am working as a coder and I am learning every day (reminds me of back in the day as a a new MT). There were so many days when I wanted to give up on coding because, let's face it, it's not easy, but I didn't. I honestly think I will make it as a coder, but I probabl ...

From MT To GT To Coder
May 10, 2015

Just saying hi, and I really appreciate this board.  I've been lurking for a while.  I went to Career Step for medical transcription, but soon after graduating, I found the quick turn around time for MT just didn't work for my toddler and homeschooler, so I switched to GT. Now, 5 years later, it's time to switch things up again, and I've always been interested in the behind the scenes medical paperwork (as nerdy as that sounds!). So feeling kind of lost, I de ...

Advice On Getting First Job From A Coder
Jul 12, 2010

The following is a post I found on the AAPC web site. I asked the poster first if it was okay to re-post here and he said okay.  Quote begins as follows: My first coding job was about six years ago. I had called a local college asking about some health billing classes and as I was about to hang up the phone I asked the lady "by the way how do you get your first job in this field?". She said "it's kind of tough, but wait, someone put a card up on the board yesterday...". She got a car ...

Job Availability For New Coder
Feb 09, 2011

I am planning on enrolling in Andrews School to begin a new career in medical coding and also plan to become certified following that.  While looking at job opportunities, I see that most ALL job openings require 2-5 years experience in this profession.  On the other hand, I also read where this field of work is in demand of more coders.  Obviously, after finishing my course and becoming certified, I don't expect to walk right in and nail down the first job or two that I ...

EMR Vs Medical Coder
May 25, 2011

I hope this is not a dumb question, but do need some enlightening.  I was at my doctor's office this morning and in the midst of the exam we got to talking about my goal to take the medical coding schooling (through Andrews). She was concerned that with the EMR process today, medical coders would not be as involved with actual coding as they have been in the past and therefore the job market not as promising. My doctor's clinic has the computer screen in the office and she sh ...

Glad I'm Not A Coder
Sep 12, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904103404576560742746021106.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird ...

Finding A Job As A New Coder
Sep 30, 2011

I am an MT considering going to school for coding.  I have been reading the message boards of the coding professional organization and found it to be full of comments from new certified coders who can't find jobs without experience, and some have been looking for over a year.  I am leaving the MT field after only 6 years due to salaries going into the tank with SR.  I think coding would be a good fit for me, but hate to spend thousands of dollars and a year of school time on ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...

Transcriptionist To Coder
Nov 14, 2011

Hello everyone.  I have posted here before about this topic. I am thinking about taking a coding course, probably through Andrews, and was wondering which credential to get first...the CPC or CCS?  Which one is more desirable for employers?  If there are any other credentials I would need, please let me know because I have just started researching this.  Thank you. ...

Questions For CODER
Jun 05, 2012

I have read many of your postings and find them all to be extremely intelligent, informative, and logical.  Here is my situation.  Seven years as MT (mostly acute care accounts with H&P's, discharge summaries, consultations, operations and procedures).  I have a BA in biology and a master's in ecology.  Was making good income until editing replaced transcribing, plus industry rates keep going down with constant buyouts/mergers.  I am 61 years old. I h ...

My Experience MT To Coder
Jul 14, 2013

I just wanted to share my experience with those who are interested in reading.  I discovered this board about 2 years ago.  Actually, I used this board very frequently when I was a MT, and then discovered the coding/medical billing link and started to peruse the coversations.  I did what I could to find out how to research coding schools, ask the important questions, and I decided to attend Andrews.  Absolutely no regrets there.  I started my coding training first throug ...

Coder And Coder2 -- Help?!
Sep 21, 2013

I am grappling with something in my mind.  Can you clarify it for me?  What would be the difference between a late effect and a past history when you are coding?   In my book they say "Leg pain resulting from old fracture" or "Intellectual disability due to previous poliomyelitis".  And that's obviously a late effect.  But in my mind, I just can't see doctors telling you that so prettily and obviously.  How do you know if something is a late effe ...

Coder II Job Description
Mar 14, 2014

Can anyone tell me if this is an entry level coder job or does it sound like they are looking for a more experienced person? I am taking the CPC-H exam June 6th. It states medical records coder II.  Qualifications: EDUCATION: Associate Degree in Health Information Technology preferred. Eligible for RHIT or coding certification. SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Codes all diagnosis and procedures on discharged inpatient, and outpatient charts using ICD-9 diagnosis codes, ICD-9 procedure c ...

MM Coder Training.
Jun 27, 2014

Have you heard any more about whether MM will be offering the program again in July? ...

OMG! Just Got A New Job As An Inhouse Coder
Jul 12, 2014

(not my first), and STARTING pay is $60K a year!  I'm ecstatic!  Can't give out the name of the hospital, but will give out the state:  OREGON ...