A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Farewell, my friends - Shipwrecked

Posted: Jul 23, 2012

After 17 years, I resigned this morning. I will not be working anymore, and am very nervous at the prospect of living on my pension (from my former long-term employment) and social security, but after the MM support took remote control of my computer on Friday, could not fix the problem with DQS7, and totally messed up all the settings my new personal computer to the point I had to take it to my private IT support, for which I had to pay, I'd Almost had Enough. The icing on the cake was getting my new benefits rate - minimum wage. A few years ago it ws $24. I wish you all well.

Good luck! I did the same three years ago. - You will do fine without the stress. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Wish you the best, you will be missed. - Dinosaur

[ In Reply To ..]
Try to keep in touch with us here on this board. They lost a great MT today. Let me know when you're ready for that hut on the beach.

Don't blame you a bit - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I would do the same as you did. It is just not worth it. Period. I honestly don't believe we will find it much, if any, better anywhere else. I worked for "one of the good ones" as far as MTSOs are concerned, and they ended up selling out to M*Modal; but even before that, there were all the typical headaches of running out of work and the horrible ASR pay.

When you say "after 17 years," do you mean you've been working for MQ/MM for that long, or do you mean 17 years of working as an MT? I only ask because I had worked at a hospital for 17 years before being outsourced to an MTSO, and I know it's tough to see what used to be a wonderful career come to an end. I was an excellent MT, too, so it seems like such a waste of talent and skills. It's such a shame, but it is what it is!

WIshing you the best.

I wasn't an MT before - Shipwrecked

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for the big hospital in Baltimore in neurology and psychiatry until I took an early retirement, and then went into doing MT work at home since 1995.

GOOD LUCK SHIPWRECKED - enjoyed your posts for a long time

[ In Reply To ..]
I am at the breaking point also. Sink or swim. No one thowing me a life raft, so I guess I gotta swim!

Best of luck Shipwrecked! - Sorry it ended like this...

[ In Reply To ..]
Back in the day, we would have all been gathered in the conference room for cake & a speech. Good luck in your retirement! You won't miss the stress! xx

Can't blame you! My MTSO spyware/cheatware has - totally ruined my computer, too.

[ In Reply To ..]
I hate my company with every fiber of my being, and every last beat of my heart. HATE, HATE, HATE THEM!!!

Good luck - Alias

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been gone for over a month now, and believe me, this is one move you will never regret. You don't realize the stress you were under until you're not there anymore, and then all of a sudden you realize how much tension is not in your life. Your body will recognize it, though.

me too - vette lady

[ In Reply To ..]
I just retired too! Pay changes were made and I would only be making $8-9/hour. Enjoy your freedom!

By this time next week you will be wondering - why you stayed so long.

[ In Reply To ..]
Even if you have to live on a strict budget, I think you will feel better. I sure did. I feel like a got a new lease on life.

farewell - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish you the best. I also gave my two weeks notice this week after working for 17 years. It has just become ridiculous. My pay has taken a dramatic cut since 17 years ago. Have been scared to leave but it is finally time. Good luck in your next endeavor.

Similar Messages:

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen MQ!
Mar 15, 2010

Well, I knew it was coming.  I had been having terrible insomnia.  The first bout was 85 hours.  The second was 60 hours.  The third was 72.  This all happened over about 3-4 weeks or so.  By the third bout, I was severely hallucinating.  I wish you guys could have seen the snow animal parade go up my street.  I thought people were here who weren't. I thought things happened that didn't.  I was in bad shape from lack of sleep.  It wasn& ...

Farewell To The Proficiency Stats Email
Mar 14, 2013

the latest proficiency stats email says it will be the last - which is good because I don't think anyone likes them. ...

Farewell MT - Starting My New Career Tomorrow
May 03, 2015

Tomorrow I am starting a new job, not just a job, but a career. When I first started doing VR 5 years ago (I had done straight typing for 10 years), I figured out pretty quickly that I was going to hate it and more than likely not have a job within the next 10 years or so or be completely broke. So, I went back to school, worked full-time and raised my small child all by myself. It was hard work and there were days I wanted to pull my hair out and quit. It is now five years later and I have my b ...

Why Can't We Be Friends???
Nov 24, 2009

JUST A THOUGHT OR TWO!!  I have to say that I am tired of this being a battle between the seasoned versus the newbies! I love being a MT and have been successfully doing it from home (with a 2 year old and a 2 month old nonetheless) for the past 2+ years (I do not work an 8-5, but instead work around my kids and often am typing late at night, which is fine by me...and I make a pretty decent wage as a newer MT)!  But I would NOT be where I am without my great friend and "mentor" who ha ...

What My Coder Friends Said
Mar 12, 2014

"Idiots!!!  Take the FREE LUNCH!" "OMG!  What is wrong with them?" "Who ARE these people?   Are they insane?  They have to be insane." "And they think coders only make that much?  Hahahahaha!" "Seriously?  They think a 2-year commitment is a problem?  Wow. Just wow." "Sticky notes?  They would pass on this because of STICKY NOTES?" "Nobody told me there were sticky notes.  Are they special or something?  Are we going to order some?  Wi ...

A Good MQ Gift To All Our ILP Friends Out There
Mar 11, 2010

Probably Not Gonna Make Any Friends With This One, But...
Aug 26, 2011

I'm seeing a lot of these, “I hate my job” threads lately. To be fair, it's mostly aimed at Medquist, and other similar entities, but still.  Gotta keep your chins up guys. As a student, I find these kinds of threads very disheartening. In the very near future I'll be joining the ranks, and I won't lie; I would be tickled pink to be making minimum wage, or any wage whatsoever. A hundred dollars a week would be great for me. Obviously that's not ideal, b ...

Goodby My QC Friends. It Has Been A Pleasure All
May 22, 2015

last shift. I refuse to take part in the grid that starts tomorrow under the false guise of "patient safety." Nothing about this grid encourages safety, it only shouts survival. While I do care about the patients, I also care about my family and their ability to have a roof over their head. I understand the MLS have put up with this for quite a while, but in the case of QC, 2 weeks notice that we are ripping $400 or more weekly from your pay BUT we expect the same amount of work is ludicrou ...

Need An Opinion From More Computer-oriented Friends Please ... (sm)
Jul 27, 2010

I am looking to purchase a second computer to use for work.  Can someone please tell me if this would be a really good and FAST computer to purchase?  It is a Dell. Processor:  Intel Pentium D Processor Speed (per core) 3.4 GHz, Dual Core Memory (RAM):  4GB Hard Drive Capacity:  500 GB I get so confused with the processors and the hard drive capacity but I know that I definitely want the 4GB (have 2 now and it is toooooo slow). Thanks so much in advance!!!!   ...

Sleep Apnea Because Of Mexican Friends?
Apr 12, 2012

Doing a consultation in which the doctor is trying to figure out if the patient's has sleep apnea.  He says a list of reasons: "...history of elevated body mass index, snoring, large Mexican friends and hypertension." I'm sure he can't actually be saying large Mexican friends, but I can't hear anything else! ...

Dear Friends: Please Give The Full Sentence
Aug 12, 2012

When asking for help, please give us a "running start" and as much info about the patient and their diagnosis as possible. Thanks. ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...