A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Okay, lets try tips/hints again - all original

Posted: Apr 01, 2014

The next tip/hint I have for everyone is the comma, semicolon, and colon. First of all, UNLESS YOUR DICTATOR IS VERBATIM, ignore their punctuation. Most doctors I have experience with wouldnât know proper punctuation if it bit them in the behind. Just because they say âcommaâ doesnât mean their correct. I wonât say much about the comma, because I think we all pretty much know how to use that. However, the semicolon stumps some people, especially doctors. A semicolon should be used if two separate independent clauses are joined together without a conjunction. For example, if you could separate the sentences on each side of the punctuation and they would both make sense and be complete sentences, you should NOT use a comma, but use a semicolon or a period instead. Example: Sheila came to the office, she got up on the bed and took off her shoes, she then went into the supine position. Should be: Sheila came to the office. She got up on the bed and took off her shoes. She then went into the supine position. You could also use semicolons in place of the periods or use both semicolons and periods. Sheila came to the office. She got up on the bed and took off her shoes; she then went into the supine position. If items in a list contain internal commas, you need to use a semicolon to separate the items. This happens a lot with drug lists. Example: Medications include insulin 40 in the morning, 10 at night, aspirin 81 mg, Coumadin Monday, Wednesday, Saturday. Should be: Medications include insulin 40 in the morning, 10 at night; aspirin 81 mg; Coumadin Monday, Wednesday, Saturday. The only comma issue I will comment on is when I see a comma used in place of a colon such as the following: Labs from March 14, 2014, WBC 10, hemoglobin 12⦠Labs from March 14, 2014; WBC 10, hemoglobin 12⦠Should be: Labs from March 14, 2014: WBC⦠Hope this helps!

Except that for the last example (labs)... - I had

[ In Reply To ..]
QA mark that as an error. They changed my colon after the date TO a semicolon. I also had a past medical history with a list (hypertension, diabetes, etc.) as another error. Yep, QA changed EVERY comma to a semicolon.

That's how you know your report was QA'ed by a global employee - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Our global employees loveloveLOVVVVE their semicolons. I'm an MME and see it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. By the end of the day, I have seen literally *thousands* of inappropriately-placed semicolons cross my desk. I'm not kidding ... thousands.

I've often joked that they must get bonuses based on semicolon usage. In fact they love them so much I think they must have shrines set up in their houses to honor the semicolon. I even think they have semicolons tattooed on their butts.

I wish I was kidding.

We are living; in a global nightmare; - wish I; could wake up;

[ In Reply To ..]
Help; me
I wish I could help; but I'm right there too; - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
It's semicolon h3ll; someone honestly needs to teach them how they are used;

Here is what I see most often;

MEDICATIONS:
Include;

Aspirin;
Codeine;
Lasix.

But the MOST fun ones look like this

LABORATORY STUDIES:
CBC; Hemoglobin 13.2; hematocrit 34.0; platelets 234; CMP; Sodium 138; glucose 101; blood gases; pH 7.41; etc.

It's absolutely MADDENING; I don't even correct it anymore; there are way way waaay too many of them.

Anyway, that's why you're seeing them - because our Indian counterparts absolutely LOVE; their; semicolons.

I thought so too. - and

[ In Reply To ..]
I quit soon after. When I questioned those (and other ludicrous) "errors", my QC only admitted that there were "helper QA" unfamiliar with the accounts. I have a degree and 25 years of experience, only to end up at M*Modal through a buyout and be QA'd by ESL employees? Final straw.
So how do they get 99.7% accuracy are ; invisible - or just a freebee.
[ In Reply To ..]
Couldn't we prove discrimination since we are held to wayyy higher standards
This is brilliant, really. DISCRIMINATION. Spot on! - MTPeep
[ In Reply To ..]
I am mulling this one over and will see what I can see. This would be precedent setting, I'm sure. Domestic employees performing the EXACT same job for United States clients, with us being held to impossibly high quality standards, while the ILP could never ever meet the same standards for same clients. Really good one. High five.

LOL. So true. I have been doing a ton of global - MME this week, semi colons EVERYWHERE. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

that would so piss me off - I cant even tell you

[ In Reply To ..]
somebody going through my report and "correcting" the punctuation incorrectly like that.

Holy balls, what's with the dislikes? - x

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Who knows, maybe our little ILP - friends?

[ In Reply To ..]
??

ILP - International Leeches & Parasites - Hee!

[ In Reply To ..]
mm

Just M*M trolls, mgmt. and spin-doctors, no doubt. - Or else a glitch in MTStars software.

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Hints.
Jun 17, 2010

If you think you hear P it could be B, and vice versa.  If you think you hear T, it could be D, and vice versa.  If you think you hear K, it could be G, and vice versa.  These sounds come from the same location in the mouth, same tongue placement, etc. but the difference is one set is voiced and one is voiceless. PTK (voiceless) BDG (voiced) When you are doing op notes or something requiring you to remember your anatomy and physiology,  you can open up a medical termi ...

Helpful Hints?
Mar 12, 2010

I got an email today with a bunch of FYI... do it this way, type it that way.  I suppose it will be helpful at some point, but I just got feedback... back and for the first time ever I was corrected to type H and P instead of H&P.  How do you type it, does anyone know how it is supposed to be?  I think H and P looks stupid. Also, doc dictated vital signs:  see nursing notes and then went back later and changed it to unremarkable.  The QA changed it back to see nursi ...

Helpful Quick 7.1 Hints
Oct 08, 2012

A lot (if not most) of the commands are the same in 7.1 that you're used to.  The training encompassed everything, not just new information.  There are just a few additions, is all.  You still upload the same, get the QA note the same, back to ADT the same, etc. ...

INSCRIBE PLATFORM Hints?
Apr 02, 2015

Anybody have any comments or helpful hints on the INSCRIBE platform? Thank you in advance for any replies.   ...

Helpful Hints For MTs Leaving The MT Industry
Aug 01, 2012

As someone who worked as a professional full-time MT for 31 years (most of those years at home), I've learned the ropes the hard way when transitioning over to the "public workplace."  I'm here to offer encouragement to others who need to find another career in order to make a decent living.  I do still work 15-20 hours at home as an MT online, but I work a full time job in a completely different sector during the day.  I finally have the job of my dreams, and I absolute ...

Anyone Have Any Helpful Hints/suggestions For How To Go Faster
Jul 16, 2013

Since the report is already typed and we are just editing I know I should be going faster than I am.  Sometimes I spend as much time as I do if it was regular typing, but I know I should be going faster.  Do people go faster on VR and if so do you have any suggestions that will help. Thanks, ...

Together We Can.... Lets Have Fun With This
May 25, 2010

I know I would rather laugh than cry today and hopefully the amazing creativity on this board will put a smile on everyone's face. ...

Hints For Brand Names Vs Generic Drugs
Aug 11, 2011

I was hoping some more experienced MTs could help me with something.  I am struggling with remembering which are brand names and which are generics (so I know to cap them or not).  Is there some trick to this? A website that can quickly (and obviously) tell you?  Perhaps some software you all have? Please, it is driving me crazy and my quality is suffering :(  ...

ASR Lets Get Some Changes Made!
Mar 12, 2010

I just really want to encourage all of you to make note of things ASR is doing wrong and sending the info in either to support@ or to your CCM.  I have been sending things in and actually getting some changes made here and there.  If we all did it maybe we could help ourselves out at least a little bit. I'm talking about things like you have been correcting text forever and ASR still is not getting it, like on docs who say the same exact same thing every time and it still comes o ...

Just Lost Job 2/2/2012 After Ten Year Long Career - Any Helpful Hints
Feb 13, 2012

Well after ten years as radiology transcriptionist I lost my job to new technology.  Any helpful hints on finding a new job, what the market is for radiology transcriptiionists, is there any hope for me? ...

Regional Hospital In VT Lets 30 MTs Go
May 27, 2010

Fletcher Allen Healthcare in Burlington, Vermont, was in the news this week for dropping 30 medical transcriptionists due to "new technology reducing the need for medical transcriptionists"....how very sad. ...

Lets See My Peeve For Today Is
Nov 27, 2012

How do you keep every profile straight when you have about 60 to follow?  And how do you make any money?  Honestly would rather be NJA then handle all these different accounts, at least I could accomplish something like maybe housework, or walking the dogs. ...

Lets All Email Our TCM And Ask What Vern, Amy
Dec 18, 2012

x ...

Lets Get Pounding On This Work!
Dec 19, 2012

I just thought that if all MTs would work like crazy from now through Saturday, we could empty the system out and ensure that other MTs who were not approved for PTO could still spend time with their family. Plus, then we would have extra money on our check cause you know the entire week after Christmas into the New Year there will be no work!   Pound it out people. Our Christmas gift to eachother. ...

Heres Is My Suggestion, Instead Of Bitching..lets
Feb 02, 2012

Give the new owner a chance..BUT  make up an email address that they cant trace to you and start flooding him with emails of complaint... ...

Okay, Sistas. Lets Talk About BOOST.
May 10, 2012

inactive time, right?  "Inactive time is defined as length of time when neither audio is played nor keystrokes clicked in an open job" as per the email.  SOOOOOO, why dont we all just keep the audio running as we research, go to the bathroom, etc.  Just make a note of where you are in the audio, go do your thing, come back and finish up.  What would MM think of NONE of us had any inactive time anymore, lol. ...

Lets Review For Fun The Denegration Of This Profession
Oct 30, 2012

I came on board in the 1990s, the height of the IC.  I was paid gross line count (for any newbies that is a line per line, no matter how many characters) and I was paid for everything, headers, footers, demographics, if there was a character on that line, I got paid.  Paid 10 cpl and never made anything less than 45,000 to 50,000.  No raises, but back then it was a very good salary, no ridiculous TATs, NO TIME CLOCKS and we had 24 hours to turn back in our work. Yes, TAT needed t ...

New Game Lets Play Guess The ASR
May 24, 2015

Patient female with flattened Amy a "Patient came in with anemia." so very close ASR, so very close ...

Search Previous Dates Like This...if Your Page Only Lets You
Aug 03, 2014

I saw a question the other day asking how to get back farther in the message posts. The board is listed in date order, so what I do if I want to reread, for instance, something from late July, I use the search key above and type in a date the way the dates are shown... 2014-07-23,  then just tap the little search tab! At the bottom of your screen you can scroll through page after page of posts on that day from all the boards. There is good information about Nuance on alot of the boards her ...

WebmedX Buys School - Lets All MTs Go - STUDENTS Doing Work/no Pay?
Oct 10, 2010

I am guessing with the low quality I see that 10:1 they let a plethora of MTs go right AFTER acquiring an MT SCHOOL so that they could have the students do the work as required work for th program and not pay them.  Some of the reports I see look like they were done by a 7-year-old or someone for whom English is a second language. ...

Tips
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone got tips on pacing themselves or how to make things go smoother.  I am a new MT and really want to do well since I left a good job to work from home, as it was a dream of mine.  I realize that patient is a virtue.  Something that I would like to possess more of. I am setting up my shortcuts, and feel like I am working my fingers to the bone, and not getting anywhere.  Any tips and advice on things that will help me move right along will be much helpful.  ...

MQ DQS ASR Tips
Jul 15, 2011

Been tracking my work for the last couple of years on ASR, am able to calculate my paycheck usually within a dollar of what it should be upon deposit into my account, and thought I'd share some tips I've learned from ASR: Keep your fingers on the keyboard. Anyone who says they are bored doing ASR isn't doing it right. It is just as challenging as typing, even more so because of the concentration required. It is much like playing the piano in that one's fingers are always mov ...

ASR Tips Revisited
Jan 28, 2010

Have read through numerous tips on this board on how to increase productivity (TY), but for the life of me can't seem to make much progress. There is one HUGE hurdle that slows me down terribly. At the very beginning of dictation, where the dictating physician says all the mumbo jumbo that should not be in a report - ADT info - we are to place a skip marker (and as far as my experience, it doesn't make much sense to place any more unless there is a blatant gap where none of the garbage ...

Burnout: Any Tips To Get Over It? Sm
Jan 31, 2010

I have been an MT for 13 years and lately I have been suffering from severe burnout.  I need the money so badly!!!  But it seems impossible to stay focused on my work.  Sometimes sitting down transcribing is nearly impossible - feels like trying to swallow bad cough medicine or something!  I have tried putting up pictures of reasons I need to be focusing and typing and have tried challenging myself with line counts, etc.  I just dont seem to be able to do it.  ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Any Tips About Proofreading
Jul 26, 2010

Any tips about proofreading? I am an MT intern consistently getting high 90s for grades in Acute Care but 99% is required to pass the program.   Tps for perfecting MT proofreading would be appreciated. I seem to make dumb mistakes and just  don't see them when I proofread.   Maple Grandma ...

What Are Your Production Tips?
May 15, 2011

I know that everyone says there is no money in VR, but sometimes you have to take the job you are given and be thankful for that. The account I am working on is 99% VR.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips on being productive.  For example, do you look at your report first and fix any obvious errors and then listen to the dictation or do you just jump right in with the dictation and do it all then?  Currently, I make about 5cpl for VR, which compared to some quotes I have rea ...

Tips For Motivation?
May 18, 2011

eee gads, every have one of those nights, or one of those weeks? what do you do when you just can't seem to get in the groove? maybe its the mt week contests and knowing I will never win anything (even though I meet all the production requirements) plus just plain wore out from trying to move for the past week or so.  tried to get some PTO, but never get approved. and then add to it the 3rd shift blues.  no matter what, just can't keep my eyes open! ...

SR Tips & Tricks
Sep 09, 2011

I am fairly new to SR and have been doing it for about a month.  Does anyone out there have any tips to share on how to become quicker?  I have memorized keyboard commands and am trying to speed up dictation.  Is that all there is to be successful at this? ...

Extext Tips?
Jan 20, 2012

Any tips on editing in Extext? ...