A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

helpful hints for MTs leaving the MT industry - happy2help

Posted: Aug 01, 2012

As someone who worked as a professional full-time MT for 31 years (most of those years at home), I've learned the ropes the hard way when transitioning over to the "public workplace."  I'm here to offer encouragement to others who need to find another career in order to make a decent living.  I do still work 15-20 hours at home as an MT online, but I work a full time job in a completely different sector during the day.  I finally have the job of my dreams, and I absolutely love going to work every day!  But it was a rocky road for about 3 years.  Maybe some of my lessons learned will save you guys some time and headaches along the way.

The first obstacle that I found when I first started looking for office jobs was that businesses looked at my resume and saw "medical transcription" at each company, and over those 31 years I had only been at 4 companies.  To the businesses, it looked like I wouldn't know how to answer phones, run copiers and fax machines, greet the customers, keep schedules for managers, or anything else that's routine done in an office.  Of course, I could do all those things and do them WELL, but my resume didn't show that. 

So....I signed up with 4 different temp agencies here in town, and let me tell you, they kept me busy.  I worked probably 20 different temp assignments over those 3 years, and I not only learned new skills or improved old ones, but it looked good on my resume!  I rarely said no to an assignment.  In fact, many times I had my pick of assignments because all 4 agencies considered me one of their "preferred" candidates.  Some temp assignments will turn into permanent jobs if you're interested. 

At the same time, I continued to do MT work at home, scheduled around my temp assignments.  I had a company then that allowed me to flex my time.  In the meantime, I applied for job after job that I'd see posted in our local newspaper classifieds.  I hand-delivered every resume packet.  I didn't mail it or email it.  I took it in person so that I could make a great first impression on anyone I met as I walked in the door, from the receptionist to the head of the company.  I would get dressed up in a suit and put a nice resume packet together that included a professional resume, cover letter tailored to each particular job, and letters of recommendation from all 4 temp agencies.  Oh....and the MOST important thing was that I put the resume packet inside a shiny red folder and stapled my business card to the front of the folder.  I can't tell you how many interviewers told me that it was my shiny red folder that caught their eye amidst the piles and piles of white envelopes that had been mailed in!

My point is, don't let your resume look like all you can do is medical transcription.  You can do MUCH more.  Consider doing any type of clerical work you can find, in some type of public office, just a few hours a week so you can get letters of recommendation and you can prove that you have many skills. 

My full time day job has nothing to do with MT.  In fact, I rarely type there.  I'm the switchboard operator at an exciting company, and I manage the whole front office.  It was worth waiting for.   I love my part time MT job, too, so it's the best of both worlds. 

Thanks for the advice - CTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember back in the day before I had children and staring MTing, going through temp agencies for jobs, they do keep you busy and its a win-win for all, because the employer is trying you out on a trial basis, no commitment, so they might let you in even though you have no experience in Excel, but you can get it there, etc. My kids are back in school September, think I am going to go this route. Thanks!

Excel at Excel if you can - happy2help

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, I'm so glad that you mentioned Excel, CTMT. That is a very important point. Nearly every office job (including temp agencies) these days will require that you know Excel. I'd never had to use it, so I needed to learn it pronto. You can find online FREE tutorials or you can go to your library and check out any number of books that will teach you. You don't want to lie on your resume and say that you know it if you really don't. Start teaching yourself sooner than later. It isn't hard. The same with Microsoft Office and Word. A feather in your cap would be to learn PowerPoint, as well.

Excel - Curious one

[ In Reply To ..]
I was self taught at Excel, those on line tutorials are really good. I also took a course at the local community college. What I found, though, is that it's such a huge program there is no way a person needs to learn it all. Also, there are different versions and it is not standard across the board. Power Point is nice to know but probably only useful in administrative assistant jobs where you'll be putting together slide show presentations for your employer. MS Office and Word are something that most MTs probably already know.
More Excel - happy2help
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, Curious One, that nobody needs to learn all that Excel has to offer. But an applicant definitely needs to the basics. That's all I learned, just the basics. I don't even use it in my job, but Excel was a tricky part of the test. Even with what I learned from the tutorials, I still had to take the test 3 times because Excel was tripping me up. My point is that most companies at least want you to "know" how to use it, even if you won't actually use it in their company or department.

What a great post! Such good advice! - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for posting.

Glad that worked - for you.

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not had any luck at the temp agencies, and I don't think it is because of my experience. I have been looking for a new job for some time now, and while there may have been a handful that accepted resumes to be dropped off if they had an actual job opening (not unsolicited), looking for a job is completely different now that it was when I first started.

Routinely, you are required to fill out an online application. I also know that one job I applied for had 257 applicants.

I began my career 30+ years ago doing what you just described, and again, I find now it does not work that way.

Good luck to everyone searching.

Don't give up - happy2help

[ In Reply To ..]
It's daunting to try to break into a field, I know. Even with companies that require an online application, you can fill out the online application and still deliver your resume packet in person if it's a local business. Unless the posting specifically says not to show up in person, you would be surprised to know that it really can make a difference to drop off a nice resume packet in person after you've filled out the online application. That was my experience, anyway.

A question, Happy2Help.... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
It's very nice and helpful of you to post this information. If even one or two people can turn things around in their search, you'll have been a great help.

I have a question about Excel. I HAVE noticed that many, many, MANY jobs I come across have Excel in the requirements. I've only used it for making timesheets at an MTSO that I worked for, so I know a tiny bit about what it is; but my question is: what do they use it for in so many different types of offices? If you happen to know this, why is it so prevalent that people need to know it? In some of the job descriptions I've been seeing, there doesn't even appear to be anything among the job duties that would seem to require it. That puzzles me!

It's frustrating to me that a lot of office jobs seem to want someone who can do EVERYTHING, but then the job might only pay $9 an hour. It's even more puzzling when I hear things like this--that they might require that you pass a test for the skill, but then you don't actually even use it for the job.

I guess getting some training in all the basic computer programs (if we don't already know them) is the way to go. Like another poster here, I signed up with a temp agency (Manpower) a few months ago but haven't had any luck--haven't gotten a single call from them! That's kind of surprised me, since they used to be the "go-to" temp agency around here; but from the looks of the local office's website, they don't have much call for clerical jobs now.

It's nice that you're doing so well, Happy2Help. It's encouraging to get some tips on how others have done it. Thanks again!
the Excel requirement and testing - happy2help
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, you'll only have to take an Excel test or ANY test that contains Excel if you apply at a university, community college, or a state job. Those jobs are where the money is, of course, so they weed out applicants by testing our knowledge on various computer programs. There are often 500 or so applicants for one position, so it's to the employer's advantage to interview only the top scoring applicants. But DON'T let that be a reason to avoid testing. Just get some self-study guides or tutorials and spend a few hours teaching yourself the basics. Other companies might not state in the job posting that they require Excel, but you're wise to learn it, anyway, because they will likely ask you during an interview. You might not even get an interview if you don't have Excel listed as one of your skills on your resume. Just take a crash-course in it and feel confident about it. You want to be the top applicant, right?
Excel - Curious One
[ In Reply To ..]
Happy2Help might know more about this, but Excel is used quite a bit because it has a lot of applications; accounting and almost any kind of spreadsheet, any time a person wants to create something with columns or tables. Many people will only use a small portion of the program in their work. I think that knowing how to use Excel looks good on a resume. It shows employers that you took the time to learn it and that you have knowledge of Microsoft Office and have advanced computer skills. It's one of those things that may come in handy when you least expect it to.

Jobs on the outside - Beth

[ In Reply To ..]
How nice to see your post. I am going through exactly what you indicated. I have been a medical transcriptionist for 25 years and you would think I am not even qualified in the outside world to open someone's door! I have tons of other experience from before I became a MT but unfortunately that does not count! Wish me luck as I scour the want-ads...Transcription is not what it used to be if you want to make a decent living!

sure are a lot of us trying to get out - Drone

[ In Reply To ..]
Leave it for the newbies and the Indians I say and good luck to the MTSOs and their clients. Not my problem. I have four job applications in right now, one as an MT in a doctor's office, and the rest not really related to MT. Wish I'd get an interview but who knows maybe they got 500 applications for each of those positions.

Jobs on the outside - DML

[ In Reply To ..]
My friend and I have been in this field for over 14 years and seen LOTS of changes. Very hard to find a really good company that has steady work where you can make a lot of money. Back in the day we may A LOT of money but those days are over. We have thought about looking for a different job in a different field but it is a scary thought after having been out of the work scene outside of our little office in our home. Glad to see that apparently we aren't the only ones frustrated with this field and possibly looking to change careers! Thanks for the info!

"....on the outside".... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....it sounds like we're all looking for jobs for when we get out of prison! :-D
Yeah, that made me laugh too. But, I guess kind of true... - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
we are "chained" to our desks all day, eat bologna sandwiches for lunch (cuz that is all we can afford on 4 cpl), we wear the same gray sweats day in and day out... yeah sounds like prison to me.
Planning a PRISON BREAK!! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm.
Saw a bumper sticker yesterday about "Mental Slavery" - FBL
[ In Reply To ..]
Didn't see the whole thing as I was on the interstate, but I remember thinking that term could easily apply to me and my MT job. So sad, got to make a change!

You can do it, Beth! - happy2help

[ In Reply To ..]
I absolutely wish you the best of luck, Beth, and I have confidence in you! Surround yourself with POSITIVE people, those who will build you up. Be proud of your 25-year career as a professional MT. Build on that in your next chapter of life, but don't limit yourself to it. If you do sign up with a temp agency, which I highly recommend, DON'T wait for them to call YOU after you've signed up and taken all their tests. Check in with the temp agency yourself at least once a week and let them know that you're ready and willing to accept any assignment they consider a good match for you. Even branch out a little. You don't have to stick with only clerical assignments. Maybe you'd like to work for a cleaning company or a delivery service or as kitchen help. It's not for the rest of your life, so expand your horizons and enjoy a little variety. Believe me, this will look quite attractive on your resume!

Some great stuff!! - 11-hour save

[ In Reply To ..]

It was so nice of you to post your experience and helpful tips!!  I've been at home 20 years, first as an MT and then in editing and training, and it's time for me to fly the coop.  I've lost job after job to outsourcing, companies always running out of work and companies losing clients.  The last 10 years especially have been extremely stressful in terms of never knowing when a job will disappear. 

My kids are almost grown, one in college and two in high school... certainly old enough to be left on their own now, and that's really the reason many of us got into this business, right?  It's just so unfortunate that the business has become what it has.  Your post was very inspiring with some great ideas!  I'm motiviated now to get out before it kills me, physically, emotionally and financially. 

Thanks again, and best wishes to you in the future!

don't forget to SELL yourself - happy2help

[ In Reply To ..]
Me again, everybody. I can't stress enough the importance of SELLING yourself. For instance, if you're painfully shy or an introvert, then start role-playing interview skills with your friends so that you'll come across as more confident when you have a REAL interview. On the other hand, if you're a Chatty Cathy, role-play an applicant who listens more than she (or he) talks. Oh, and practice that handshake. Firm, but not painful. Hee-hee! Eye contact, lots of it. Start RIGHT NOW believing in yourself. If you don't believe it, the interviewer won't, either. If you need help in that area, borrow a library book about building self-confidence. Or check out this great website I just found (wish I'd found it before now!): http://www.careerchangepathways.com/blog/how-to-believe-in-yourself-again/

Similar Messages:

Helpful Hints?
Mar 12, 2010

I got an email today with a bunch of FYI... do it this way, type it that way.  I suppose it will be helpful at some point, but I just got feedback... back and for the first time ever I was corrected to type H and P instead of H&P.  How do you type it, does anyone know how it is supposed to be?  I think H and P looks stupid. Also, doc dictated vital signs:  see nursing notes and then went back later and changed it to unremarkable.  The QA changed it back to see nursi ...

Helpful Quick 7.1 Hints
Oct 08, 2012

A lot (if not most) of the commands are the same in 7.1 that you're used to.  The training encompassed everything, not just new information.  There are just a few additions, is all.  You still upload the same, get the QA note the same, back to ADT the same, etc. ...

Anyone Have Any Helpful Hints/suggestions For How To Go Faster
Jul 16, 2013

Since the report is already typed and we are just editing I know I should be going faster than I am.  Sometimes I spend as much time as I do if it was regular typing, but I know I should be going faster.  Do people go faster on VR and if so do you have any suggestions that will help. Thanks, ...

Just Lost Job 2/2/2012 After Ten Year Long Career - Any Helpful Hints
Feb 13, 2012

Well after ten years as radiology transcriptionist I lost my job to new technology.  Any helpful hints on finding a new job, what the market is for radiology transcriptiionists, is there any hope for me? ...

Medical Coding - Leaving The Transcription Industry
Dec 12, 2010

I wanted to ask anyone out there how to go about leaving the transcription industry (11 years in) and going into medical coding.  Do any of you know of a bridge over program at any of the institutes?  I got my education at a community college that is nationally accredited so I can transfer credits.  Just curious before I start really looking.  Thanks ...

Hints.
Jun 17, 2010

If you think you hear P it could be B, and vice versa.  If you think you hear T, it could be D, and vice versa.  If you think you hear K, it could be G, and vice versa.  These sounds come from the same location in the mouth, same tongue placement, etc. but the difference is one set is voiced and one is voiceless. PTK (voiceless) BDG (voiced) When you are doing op notes or something requiring you to remember your anatomy and physiology,  you can open up a medical termi ...

Okay, Lets Try Tips/hints Again
Apr 01, 2014

The next tip/hint I have for everyone is the comma, semicolon, and colon. First of all, UNLESS YOUR DICTATOR IS VERBATIM, ignore their punctuation. Most doctors I have experience with wouldnât know proper punctuation if it bit them in the behind. Just because they say âcommaâ doesnât mean their correct. I wonât say much about the comma, because I think we all pretty much know how to use that. However, the semicolon stumps some people, especially doctors. A semicolon ...

INSCRIBE PLATFORM Hints?
Apr 02, 2015

Anybody have any comments or helpful hints on the INSCRIBE platform? Thank you in advance for any replies.   ...

Hints For Brand Names Vs Generic Drugs
Aug 11, 2011

I was hoping some more experienced MTs could help me with something.  I am struggling with remembering which are brand names and which are generics (so I know to cap them or not).  Is there some trick to this? A website that can quickly (and obviously) tell you?  Perhaps some software you all have? Please, it is driving me crazy and my quality is suffering :(  ...

QC Leaving?? Leaving More Work For MTs?
Jun 14, 2015

Sorry QC was put on the grid and suffering losses (like we have), but from my point of view the more of them leave, the more work left for us.  Isn't that horrible we are reduced to feeling that way about our co-workers??? Some QC say they are not allowed to do MT unless the account is behind, some say they are allowed when they run out of work.   From the length of time we have been suffering from OOW I have to believe they can and do jump in on our work when out of QC ...

Trying To Be Helpful, Please Add On
Jan 12, 2011

I'd like to post my tips for getting through the day:  I have at least 8 different accounts (so far, keep getting more...) I made a print out of each client profile, but for quick reference I have colored post it notes with tips like: stacked/nc (for H&P and ROS),   means stacked, mixed case (no caps...) pt name (+ or -),    patient's name allowed or not. date format #         Some accounts allow the date to ...

It Would Also Be Very Helpful If
Mar 19, 2015

when you post you are NJA if you post the TSM initials, since they are still calling for OT. ...

Helpful QA Feedback
Sep 14, 2010

Have a hospital where you are to phonetically spell name if not given (it wasn't except to call him "Steven")  QA so kindly sent me QA feedback and the only thing on there was that apparently Steven was actually spelled "Stephun."  Is that ACTUALLY going to be of any help in the future?  QA wonders why we have an attitude?  DON'T WASTE ANY MORE OF MY TIME THAN IS ALREADY BEING WASTED.  ...

Helpful Kitty
Jun 09, 2011

My kitty, who used to lie quietly under my chair, has just taken to sitting under my desk and "helping" me get through my transcription by pushing the foot pedal when I take my foot of it.  Short of putting her in the other room, which I may have to do, does anyone have any ideas how to get her to stop this?   She has also started licking my feet.  And yes, she has fresh water, clean litter box, and I just fed her.         ...

Just Something I Want To Pass Along That Could Be Helpful
Sep 24, 2012

I, I think like a lot of the MTs on here are getting fed up with Express Scribe and the fact that you have to go to the Pro Version and downgrade to the free.  Stupidly on Thursday, I removed my copy of ES to install the version that the company I was going to work for uses.  Well, now, I cannot even configure the footpedal unless I purchase the product or one of their footpedals (my footpedal is an IN-USB-1 which has worked on Express Scribe in the past), but now, it is not even on th ...

Just A Helpful Suggestion ...
Mar 11, 2014

Some of you don't need me to tell you this, but others might benefit from this advice.   Reading through the posts on this coding training, I am seeing some legitimate questions and concerns, but also some that are so off the wall that they are either the product of the world's worst paranoid or someone who is intentionally trying to discourage you. The content and tone is a lot like some of the negativity that gets posted on the coding board every time some one asks about coding ...

Regarding Helpful Suggestions From People Who Are Doing Well
Dec 02, 2011

Someone else has already suggested what I was going to say, going over your resume and making some changes. Another good idea is to get together with some MTs who are successful. Just as negativism rubs off, so does success. I've learned quite a bit from my friends who were successful years before I was. They've been at it a long time and are still going strong. Just as in any career, we each have our ups and downs, but we do well overall. Part of the reason why is, we keep learning f ...

Any Helpful Info On K&R Consulting
Jul 21, 2012

Hello: Anyone work for or have any helpful info on K&R Consulting? Thinking of applying to yesterday's ad. ...

Hope This In Right Place - Our Most Helpful Web Sites
Dec 20, 2009

I was thinking of something the other day:  We all have our favorite web sites which we have found on our own, whether it be for surgical web sites, chemo drugs, bacterial finder, orthopedic test words, neuro words, etc.  How about we post said web sites here with a short description as to what they are for.  It would be a good way to help each other out Anyone agree? Thanks! ...

Helpful Medical Transcription Websites
Jan 23, 2012

Just want to make a list of helpful MT websites. 1. www.mtstars.com add more helpful websites to this list. amanda ...

Not A Newbie And Found This Site Helpful.
Aug 19, 2014

Used it twice today already.     ...

Any Helpful Information On GIS (Global Info Systems)?
Nov 18, 2013

Looking for any helpful information on this company please. I have searched the archives but nothing current.  Thank you. ...

Ever Hear Of Southern Transcription? Any Details Would Be Helpful.
Mar 04, 2014

nm ...

Medscribe Information Systems Out Of Naples, FL? Any Details Would Be Helpful
Mar 06, 2014

Anyone type for MedScribe Information Systems out of Naples, FL?  Any details on company, good pay, good work environment, enough work, etc. would be helpful. Thanks! ...

New To The Industry
Jan 18, 2010

Hi, I am a recent graduate of a Med. Transcript program and am unable to find work for someone with less than one year experiance.  Any suggestions? ...

MT Industry
Feb 17, 2011

As a group, we need to talk, fax, email our state representatives to explain what is going on in our industry. Give them your personal story.  We should all do this 3/1/2010 and the first of every month until something is done.  If they get enough complaints/responses, they will help us.  They will start and talk to each other and realize how many of us are being abused.  We need to have state and federal regulations to protect us from these companies. Due to&n ...

Is It Still Possible To Get A PT Job In This Industry. Nm
Nov 04, 2012

nm ...

This Whole Industry
Aug 22, 2013

Here's the problem with MT's who work at home:  There's not one out of six of you that have ever grown a pair of cajones. ...

BOS And Their Industry Standard?
Oct 21, 2009

Do all of your companies that you work for use the BOS as their industry standard? ...

Industry Trends
Mar 21, 2010

I'm new to this board, but have been in the business a while.  There's obviously a lot of dissatisfaction on the way work is being moved to India and Speech Recognition.  Its affected me, too.  But, it is what it is.  The healthcare facilities  are being forced to cut costs, and the MTSOs have to respond to keep the business, which is unfortunate for us. First, there was India.  HealthScribe, Focus Informatics, CBay, Heartland and others pushed this ...