A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Regional hospital in VT lets 30 MTs go - CMT in Northern NY

Posted: May 27, 2010

Fletcher Allen Healthcare in Burlington, Vermont, was in the news this week for dropping 30 medical transcriptionists due to "new technology reducing the need for medical transcriptionists"....how very sad.

Long discussion about it directly below. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Some 40 MTs dropped by hospital in Pacific Northwest - In the news

[ In Reply To ..]
Its happening all over but the dirty little secret is that this is just one big experiment. The prediction is that it won't work, privacy issues will override cost savings, cost savings won't materialize once they figure in the increased personnel needed in IT to keep the clunky engines running, etc. etc. etc.

Which hospital? - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in the Pacific Northwest and hadn't heard about this. Which hospital dropped their MTs?

I think I found it - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
I found an article about PeaceHealth in Bellingham (NW Washington) outsourcing its transcription and laying off its in-house MTs. All the work is staying in the US, though.

What I found interesting in the article was a statement that the in-house MTs were already doing VR, and the article states: "The original dictation is turned into a draft via speech-recognition software, with results that are correct about 90 percent of the time."

The article said 8% is going to Sri Lanka - camels nose under the tent
[ In Reply To ..]
and if anyone believes it is just 8%, then I've got a bridge to sell you.
Are you serious? - MTanon
[ In Reply To ..]
When I read this, my jaw "dropped to the floor" (if it coulda, it woulda, anyway). The article has it completely wrong. If we sent out the drafts without any editing, 90% of them would be pure nonsense. If you believe 90% of drafts are correct, I have SEVERAL bridges to sell you.

This happened in February - 38 MTs - SM - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Peace Health in Bellingham. It was not a "dirty little secret" and was in several Northwest newspapers.
Again a horribly OVERstaffed hospital. 38 MTs for 253 beds? - wow
[ In Reply To ..]
The problem here is, as usual, the hospital was overstaffed with MTs. When you are paying that many people to do that amount of work, the MTs will eventually end up being eliminated. The hospital can get it done cheaper AND FASTER by getting a service to do all the work.
Part of the problem may be that those MTs were not very productive - With That Many MTs For That Size Hospital
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Not just hospital work - MTCMT
[ In Reply To ..]
The MTs transcribed and edited for a number of medical clinics with well over 100 physicians, plus a cardiovascular center, PT/OT, radiation, etc, The ER had an incredible load and was expanding constantly. The workload was not just inpatient transcription.

This is bad news! I"d been hoping to leave my MTSO - and land an inhouse job somewhere.... :(

[ In Reply To ..]
:(

Similar Messages:

REGIONAL MUSCLATURE?
Aug 25, 2010

In a right hip is the word regional musclature or in the region of musculature.   The whole sentence reads.  _______musculature appears intact.  TIA ...

Sl Urine Regional Antigen
Mar 01, 2010

labs s/l urine "regional" antigen is negative.  TIA :) ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Just Got A Call Back From TAA Regional Coordinator
Jan 19, 2010

Rosemary called me back just now.  She contacted the Federal Office.  The Fed Office is going to contact ALL STATE COORDINATORS to clarify them on this TAA program for MQ employees. If you can prove with pay stubs that YOUR PAY HAS DECREASED with MQ during all the changes going on with CBay buying MQ and sending increasing amounts of OUR work to India -- YOU ARE ELIGIBLE EVEN IF YOU ARE STILL WORKING.  I told her I lost about 800 dollars a pay since they eliminated my departmen ...

How Do I Find Out Who The Regional Team Leader Is? (not TSM)
Feb 24, 2013

Tried looking at the organizational chart in Utilipro, but that was of no use. ...

Regional Team Lead = Work Flow Coordinator??
Nov 24, 2009

Does anybody else get this impression?  Or am I misunderstanding what this position is all about?  All I know is, I have a weird sense of deja vu about it, like I've heard about this job before but with a different title. ...

ANESTHESIA: S/l Regional Block With KEVA, KEEVA? Any Suggestions? Thanks
Jun 20, 2011

Together We Can.... Lets Have Fun With This
May 25, 2010

I know I would rather laugh than cry today and hopefully the amazing creativity on this board will put a smile on everyone's face. ...

ASR Lets Get Some Changes Made!
Mar 12, 2010

I just really want to encourage all of you to make note of things ASR is doing wrong and sending the info in either to support@ or to your CCM.  I have been sending things in and actually getting some changes made here and there.  If we all did it maybe we could help ourselves out at least a little bit. I'm talking about things like you have been correcting text forever and ASR still is not getting it, like on docs who say the same exact same thing every time and it still comes o ...

Lets See My Peeve For Today Is
Nov 27, 2012

How do you keep every profile straight when you have about 60 to follow?  And how do you make any money?  Honestly would rather be NJA then handle all these different accounts, at least I could accomplish something like maybe housework, or walking the dogs. ...

Lets All Email Our TCM And Ask What Vern, Amy
Dec 18, 2012

x ...

Lets Get Pounding On This Work!
Dec 19, 2012

I just thought that if all MTs would work like crazy from now through Saturday, we could empty the system out and ensure that other MTs who were not approved for PTO could still spend time with their family. Plus, then we would have extra money on our check cause you know the entire week after Christmas into the New Year there will be no work!   Pound it out people. Our Christmas gift to eachother. ...

Okay, Lets Try Tips/hints Again
Apr 01, 2014

The next tip/hint I have for everyone is the comma, semicolon, and colon. First of all, UNLESS YOUR DICTATOR IS VERBATIM, ignore their punctuation. Most doctors I have experience with wouldn’t know proper punctuation if it bit them in the behind. Just because they say “comma” doesn’t mean their correct. I won’t say much about the comma, because I think we all pretty much know how to use that. However, the semicolon stumps some people, especially doctors. A semicolon ...

Heres Is My Suggestion, Instead Of Bitching..lets
Feb 02, 2012

Give the new owner a chance..BUT  make up an email address that they cant trace to you and start flooding him with emails of complaint... ...

Okay, Sistas. Lets Talk About BOOST.
May 10, 2012

inactive time, right?  "Inactive time is defined as length of time when neither audio is played nor keystrokes clicked in an open job" as per the email.  SOOOOOO, why dont we all just keep the audio running as we research, go to the bathroom, etc.  Just make a note of where you are in the audio, go do your thing, come back and finish up.  What would MM think of NONE of us had any inactive time anymore, lol. ...

Lets Review For Fun The Denegration Of This Profession
Oct 30, 2012

I came on board in the 1990s, the height of the IC.  I was paid gross line count (for any newbies that is a line per line, no matter how many characters) and I was paid for everything, headers, footers, demographics, if there was a character on that line, I got paid.  Paid 10 cpl and never made anything less than 45,000 to 50,000.  No raises, but back then it was a very good salary, no ridiculous TATs, NO TIME CLOCKS and we had 24 hours to turn back in our work. Yes, TAT needed t ...

New Game Lets Play Guess The ASR
May 24, 2015

Patient female with flattened Amy a "Patient came in with anemia." so very close ASR, so very close ...

Search Previous Dates Like This...if Your Page Only Lets You
Aug 03, 2014

I saw a question the other day asking how to get back farther in the message posts. The board is listed in date order, so what I do if I want to reread, for instance, something from late July, I use the search key above and type in a date the way the dates are shown... 2014-07-23,  then just tap the little search tab! At the bottom of your screen you can scroll through page after page of posts on that day from all the boards. There is good information about Nuance on alot of the boards her ...

WebmedX Buys School - Lets All MTs Go - STUDENTS Doing Work/no Pay?
Oct 10, 2010

I am guessing with the low quality I see that 10:1 they let a plethora of MTs go right AFTER acquiring an MT SCHOOL so that they could have the students do the work as required work for th program and not pay them.  Some of the reports I see look like they were done by a 7-year-old or someone for whom English is a second language. ...

S/l " Regional" Precautions Were Explained To Her
Mar 27, 2010

regional? ...

Hospital Course
Dec 30, 2010

This is part of a hospital course.  Not sure what the heading in bold should be so I gave the whole grouping for context. RESPIRATORY:  No issues.  CARDIAC:  No issues.  IV:  No issues.  HEMATOLOGY/ONCOLOGY:  No issues.  METABOLIC/GASTROINTESTINAL:  Ultrasound on admission was the only ultrasound obtained.  SEN:  Patient was on D5 half-normal saline plus 20 mEq of KCl at 78 mL/hr throughout hospital admission.  On hospit ...

Hospital Job?
May 14, 2011

Just curious if anyone has a remote (long-distance) position with a hospital.  If so, did you have to work inhouse initially before being able to go home or not? My last employer (the current one MTSO I work for stinks so bad I don't even consider them an employer!) was a hospital that was part of a chain.  Of 50 MTs, there was one in Canada, one in Mexico, and one in China.  However, I'm fairy certain that they were Americans who lived locally and then subsequently mov ...

Seriously Hospital
Oct 06, 2014

Why can they not get this hospital to fix this? The only place I notice it is the OR dictations, so that narrows it down doesn't it? And today, is the worst I have heard it in a while.. ...

Cap THE In The Children's Hospital?
Nov 10, 2009

Consequently, we will educate ourselves on this particular disease as well as obtain medical records from the Children's Hospital. ...

Hospital Pay--is This A JOKE?
Dec 30, 2009

Okay, so halfway out of curiosity, I applied to my local hospital, which is a large regional hospital, for an MT job.  They wanted a "seasoned" MT with CMT, who transcribes 250 lines an hour.  Okay, I thought, they might actually compensate better than I think since they have well-defined high standards.  WRONG!  They are offering $11.35 AN HOUR!  What a slap in the face!  You get a whole extra dollar if you work 2nd shift.  What an insult--they just have ...

What Does A Hospital Registrar Do?
Mar 25, 2010

My local hospital is advertising for this position but doesn't say what the duties are.  Just says you need medical terminology experience. ...

Hospital MT Pay Rate?
May 28, 2010

Hi everyone! I have been doing MT from home for about 20 years now.  I have been offered a position at a local hospital doing MT on a per diem basis.  Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of pay to expect?   Thank you. ...

Update On The Hospital Job
Aug 26, 2010

Thanks to everyone who responded and I did call on this job but it was an evening job 3-11 so even though it was 18 bucks an hour that does not work for me have children at home...so back to looking into the MTSO companies and finding the best one out there - if anyone has suggestions let me know ...

Home Vs Hospital
Nov 01, 2010

Was laid off in April.  Have a couple offers from transcription companies, and one from a clinic which is part of a huge school/hospital system in our area, (which actually is through a temp agency).  There are only 2 full-time NP's and a handlful of part-time NP's.  The hospital job is a 45-minute drive, 1-way, in light traffic.  Pay to start is $13, but if this temp goes to permanent, potential is much greater.  The clinic is open M-F, 8-4, closed holidays.&n ...