A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Lets Review for Fun the Denegration of this profession - shall we?

Posted: Oct 30, 2012

I came on board in the 1990s, the height of the IC.  I was paid gross line count (for any newbies that is a line per line, no matter how many characters) and I was paid for everything, headers, footers, demographics, if there was a character on that line, I got paid.  Paid 10 cpl and never made anything less than 45,000 to 50,000.  No raises, but back then it was a very good salary, no ridiculous TATs, NO TIME CLOCKS and we had 24 hours to turn back in our work.

Yes, TAT needed to improve, I accept that and as technology advanced and we were internet based it did, PROFOUNDLY.  1990 to 2005 still made 10 cpl gross line.  Even when the 65 character count line came into play, I was grandfathered in and still paid gross line.

Still no raises, still making same, starting to think "gee..been at this for 15 years and yes. money is good, but now my salary is starting to even out with others AND I pay self-employment tax and buy my own disability insurance and health insurance"  But still autonomy over day, working from home had major benefits.

Then 2005 came and MedQuist gobbled up the little YOG company I worked for.  Immediately put on 65 character count with no line raise, realized immediate 28 to 33% deficit in my salary, but still had the autonomy of my day with a realistic schedule (i.e, M-F 8:00 am to 6:00 pm) able to come and go as long as I made my production, which was fine, able to swallow (a little hard) the gross line vs 65 character line deficit.

2006 ASR is introduced...as a valued "aid" to the MT.  Sucked, of course, but got better, still made my 10 cpl at 65 character count, but none for any demographics, headers or footers and schedules and TATs started to become a problem.  No work available, all work gobbled by east coast MTs so west coast MTs could not work in the a.m. had to work starting later and later to be sure work was there.

2007 20% reduction for ASR and the TIME CLOCK was instituted with EXTREME tight scheduling, no leeway..Then 2008, not only offshoring, but 30% reduction for ASR, 2009, 40% reduction for ASR and 2012 flat out 4 CPL for ASR new people with the added promise that is never realized of regular 9 to 10 CPL for straight typing which of course no one ever gets. 

My salary went from 45 to 50,000 2005

2006 38,000

2007 31,000

2008 29,000

2009 22,000

2010 18,000

2011 18,000

2012 probably 18,000 too

In the end I blame myself for having this shown to me in every way shape and form and being too lazy and a nonstarter to make MAJOR changes in my professional life. 

And still I see "newbies" coming into this job.  I cannot for the life of me fathom why anybody would go through the difficult training it takes to master this profession to be made minimum wage or maybe 10-13 /hour if you are a WHIZ at ASR, that is 300-400 lph for 8 hours straight. 

Getting out - fed-up

[ In Reply To ..]
I just got into this profession 2 years ago after 2 years of an MT course. It is not at ALL what was sold to me. I get 7 cpl straight and 5 cpl ASR, 8 hour days from the west coast, so work is slim in the morning and I can't really adjust my timeframe. Most months, I barely top $4 per hour.

On top of that, I just found out a few weeks ago that the company I'm IC'ing for does not hire full time employees in my state! They don't want to deal with all of the fees associated with starting up in this state. (There was a manager position for which I was very qualified... but they didn't even look at my resume until I asked the gal who called me, the one who rates the resumes on whether they will be called to interview, to take a look... and she said my score would have been high enough for an interview... no job guarantee, but I would have had an interview.)

So what is my incentive to continue to work so hard on my line count if I can't be hired full time (an opportunity I was sold when I was hired) even I typed 5000 lines per day?

So... I'm looking for another job doing something else. Again.

You are better off in another profession. The managers - are the first to get let go. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know what company you work for, but if you only needed 2 years of a course and 2 years of transcribing to become a manager, I'd run from it, too!

Good luck!

I had an office management career prior to being an MT - fed-up

[ In Reply To ..]
so that applied to this particular management position, which wasn't direct MT management but still with this company. That's not really the point of my post, though, is it. It was the fact that they had neglected to tell me that no matter how hard I work, I can never get employee status because they don't hire employees in my state. I just wish I'd known that 2 years ago so I wouldn't have wasted all this time. I'm no spring chicken at this point.

Me too - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
MT is not at ALL what I was sold, either. I went to school for it almost 5 years ago, and I was able to make a decent living for just a short time and then everything changed so suddenly. I was told in school that the key to MT success is being flexible, but I really had no idea that meant hunkering down at the computer for 12 hours a day or juggling 2 jobs or getting up at 3 a.m. to get any work at all. I had no idea. I

Good luck. I am back in school. Again.

Good luck to you, too. - fed-up

[ In Reply To ..]
It is sad that in order to make a decent living at this job, we basically have to put in my time than we did for the schooling we took to get the job. Seems backwards. But I'm not going to work at this job for 12 hours a day. That's insane and should not be expected of us to meet our minimums. If that's what is required, then I'm out. I didn't sign on for 12+ hours a day to just make minimum wage (or less).

I hope you find success in whatever you are in school for this time. :-)

Denegration - fascinating and sad story, excellent post

[ In Reply To ..]
What a great summation! In my case, though, it also included being team lead on evening shift in hospital, which included being treated with respect by all hospital departments, your bosses, the doctors. Having "side jobs" posted regularly on the bulletin board for anyone who wanted another $15 to $20 an hour part-time job. Being consulted on new software proposed for transcription. etc.

So you mean NOTHING like the OP? - fed-up

[ In Reply To ..]
How demoralizing can you be?

me too - but not anymore

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a great job as a lead in a hospital too, but now I don't anymore, and there are no hospitals in my area that still do inhouse transcription. One major one doesn't even outsource anymore, it just uses Epic. Maybe you were talking about a situation you had like 15 years ago?

Ditto! 2005 was my last good year. I made - same here!

[ In Reply To ..]
56K. Now granted I worked my butt off Jan of that year to pay for a vacation to FL. However, the previous year I made 54K and the years before that I never made under 46K and that was 7 hours a day. However, I do work hard and use my expanders, average 300+ lines an hour 65/cpl. Even my first year I made 42K as an IC averaging $24 an hour. That was gross lines like you. Well those days are long, long gone.

The company I worked for between 2003-2006 we lost all our KP accounts to EMR. I have yet to find anything close to making that kind of money again. Now I was making 8.5 cents 65/cpl so I am not talking pay. I am talking decent accounts, decent platforms, and yes at least 8.5 for crying out loud!

I do take responsibility in that I didn't get out sooner. I held on to the dream that if I just keep looking I will find a better company. Now I am 45 wondering, "now what do I do?!!" I am not interested in nursing. I liked being an MT but it's time to move on. I just don't know what to do and I won't settle for less than $20 an hour. Accounting? blah. Nursing? Ick. Ho hum, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!! :D No seriously, I don't know what to do. I am unemployed AGAIN as my company merged with another company who outsources to India. All of a sudden a bunch of us got laid off with no explanation WHATSOEVER. This was a "so-called" good company! I am so confused right now I just don't know what to do and I am tired of crying on my husband's shoulder.

I am thankful for the years I did - same here!

[ In Reply To ..]
make that kind of money though as I was a single mom of 2 girls and one of them got very ill. If the MT trade was like it is now I would have had to move back in with my mom which is crazy at my age.

Similar Messages:

How To Pend A Report For Review When You Are On 100% Review
May 12, 2014

Help.  I know you send a report with no questions with Control N but forgot how to send reports for review. ...

Together We Can.... Lets Have Fun With This
May 25, 2010

I know I would rather laugh than cry today and hopefully the amazing creativity on this board will put a smile on everyone's face. ...

ASR Lets Get Some Changes Made!
Mar 12, 2010

I just really want to encourage all of you to make note of things ASR is doing wrong and sending the info in either to support@ or to your CCM.  I have been sending things in and actually getting some changes made here and there.  If we all did it maybe we could help ourselves out at least a little bit. I'm talking about things like you have been correcting text forever and ASR still is not getting it, like on docs who say the same exact same thing every time and it still comes o ...

Regional Hospital In VT Lets 30 MTs Go
May 27, 2010

Fletcher Allen Healthcare in Burlington, Vermont, was in the news this week for dropping 30 medical transcriptionists due to "new technology reducing the need for medical transcriptionists"....how very sad. ...

Lets See My Peeve For Today Is
Nov 27, 2012

How do you keep every profile straight when you have about 60 to follow?  And how do you make any money?  Honestly would rather be NJA then handle all these different accounts, at least I could accomplish something like maybe housework, or walking the dogs. ...

Lets All Email Our TCM And Ask What Vern, Amy
Dec 18, 2012

x ...

Lets Get Pounding On This Work!
Dec 19, 2012

I just thought that if all MTs would work like crazy from now through Saturday, we could empty the system out and ensure that other MTs who were not approved for PTO could still spend time with their family. Plus, then we would have extra money on our check cause you know the entire week after Christmas into the New Year there will be no work!   Pound it out people. Our Christmas gift to eachother. ...

Okay, Lets Try Tips/hints Again
Apr 01, 2014

The next tip/hint I have for everyone is the comma, semicolon, and colon. First of all, UNLESS YOUR DICTATOR IS VERBATIM, ignore their punctuation. Most doctors I have experience with wouldn’t know proper punctuation if it bit them in the behind. Just because they say “comma” doesn’t mean their correct. I won’t say much about the comma, because I think we all pretty much know how to use that. However, the semicolon stumps some people, especially doctors. A semicolon ...

Heres Is My Suggestion, Instead Of Bitching..lets
Feb 02, 2012

Give the new owner a chance..BUT  make up an email address that they cant trace to you and start flooding him with emails of complaint... ...

Okay, Sistas. Lets Talk About BOOST.
May 10, 2012

inactive time, right?  "Inactive time is defined as length of time when neither audio is played nor keystrokes clicked in an open job" as per the email.  SOOOOOO, why dont we all just keep the audio running as we research, go to the bathroom, etc.  Just make a note of where you are in the audio, go do your thing, come back and finish up.  What would MM think of NONE of us had any inactive time anymore, lol. ...

New Game Lets Play Guess The ASR
May 24, 2015

Patient female with flattened Amy a "Patient came in with anemia." so very close ASR, so very close ...

Search Previous Dates Like This...if Your Page Only Lets You
Aug 03, 2014

I saw a question the other day asking how to get back farther in the message posts. The board is listed in date order, so what I do if I want to reread, for instance, something from late July, I use the search key above and type in a date the way the dates are shown... 2014-07-23,  then just tap the little search tab! At the bottom of your screen you can scroll through page after page of posts on that day from all the boards. There is good information about Nuance on alot of the boards her ...

WebmedX Buys School - Lets All MTs Go - STUDENTS Doing Work/no Pay?
Oct 10, 2010

I am guessing with the low quality I see that 10:1 they let a plethora of MTs go right AFTER acquiring an MT SCHOOL so that they could have the students do the work as required work for th program and not pay them.  Some of the reports I see look like they were done by a 7-year-old or someone for whom English is a second language. ...

Our Profession
Jun 12, 2010

When I look at our profession now -- what it has devolved into -- and compare its present condition with how it was just 20 years ago, the contrast is STAGGERING. With enhanced technology, medical transcription -- and, by extension, patient care -- should have improved by leaps and bounds, both in terms of TAT and QUALITY.  Only half of that has been met: the decreased TAT.  QUALITY has been compromised to such a degree that it is SHAMEFUL.  My current employer has ...

New Profession
May 02, 2013

i am waiting until i have three weeks of vacation saved up untiil i can start a nurses aid training course.  it may be foolish, but i am paying my tuition to them in increments so i will not have such a big bill when the tuition comes due.  they start classes once a month. i have been appling for jobs all over the place, not transcription.  i do get a lot of "thanks but no thanks" form letters.  i am getting discouraged. i am on the sunny-side of 60 (59 next month) and hopi ...

I'm Out Of This Profession!
May 29, 2014

I start a new non-transcription job next week.  Today is my last day at this lousy company and I am finally doing what I've dreamt about doing for a long time - I'm typing everything EXACTLY as the doctor is dictating it.  They want verbatim, they are getting verbatim.  I'm not fixing a single thing and I just don't care at all. It's wonderful! Let the doctors see how idiotic they sound sometimes.  And don't anyone bother to admonish me about how ...

Need Advice: Considering The Profession
Jan 28, 2010

Hello, I sure would appreciate your guidance!  I am trying to change careers and am in the process of deciding what to go to school for.  I thought MT would be a great idea and suited my lifestyle, but a lot of what I read here tells me the profession is shrinking, and newbies out of school struggle to find work.  (I am in FL, with huge medical demands, btw.) What I had planned, was to complete my course (local community college online) and find entry level work, if possible.&nbs ...

We Need To Demand More Pay As A Profession
Aug 06, 2010

Just need to vent. I have been a medical transcriptionist since the late 1980s and I have seen the trend to cut our pay consistently over the years. It look over 20 years for me to gain the experience I have, in most specialities I might add.  It is very disconcerting to have a company offer 7 to 8 cpl with my experience.   Now, with voice recognition (which it seems most of the larger companies out there have), our pays are cut even more so.  I might add, at least for me, ...

Is This Profession Even Worth It?
Nov 19, 2010

I have to say this is my first time to this website and I am deeply discouraged by the forums I have read because it sounds like this line of work is basically dying a slow death. I am currently enrolled in a community college and am about to finish getting my certificate ( I am in my last class which is practice/internship) to become a Medical Transcriptionist but I'm beginning to wonder if it was worth it? I already had fears because of accounts going offshore and EMRs but reading some of ...

Getting Out Of MT. Which Profession Would You Pursue?
Mar 18, 2011

I have narrowed it down to medical diagnostic sonographer (2 year degree, not sure what degree name is) or AA degree in Health Information Management (RHIT). ...

Are There Any MTs That Are Happy With This Profession?
Apr 24, 2012

I was researching this profession, thinking maybe it was something I wanted to do. But it seems like everyone already in this field dislikes their job. ...

Been A While Since I Left The Profession
Aug 27, 2012

It's been 7 years. Thinking of doing an at-home AHDI program for "recent" experience. Are experienced MTs having difficulty finding jobs? I read a post of an experienced MT on this board claiming to have difficulty finding work. That was not the case when I left this profession 7 years ago. There were more jobs than qualified MTs to fill them. What has happened? ...

This Profession Is Pathetic
Jun 23, 2013

Cannot believe it, I am 60 years old, been doing this almost 40 years and I sat down last night and really checked things over and now with NJA all the time, my monthly bills are not covered by my 2 pay checks a month.  I do not have a high mortgage ($240 a month, can't rent a room for that), I have basic cable that is bundled with the internet (which we all need to do this job), the very minimum of phone bill ($40), and have to pay for my own health insurance (as my company  ...

The MT Profession Has Really Gone Down The Tubes
Oct 30, 2013

The MT profession has really gone down the tubes.  I have no desire to do this anymore and that's why I've been training for other things.  These Quality Control people have nit picked to the point I just cannot stand it anymore (forgetting "the" or taking out "the") and the other extremely petty crap that they ding for (and it has no bearing on patient care whatsoever).  Who wants to work like this anymore (and for the rotten pay on top of that to boot)?  It never used to be like ...

Need A Change In Profession
Jun 03, 2015

Are there any coding companies that provide on the job training?  Is schooling required to become a coder?   Are coders paid hourly or piecemeal like an MT?   I have to get out of the MT industry for obvious reasons, but I really need something that I can move straight to without going to school and still work from home.  Any information is appreciated.   Thanks! ...

Any At-Home-Profession Graduate?
Mar 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering if their is anyone that has graduated from At-home-professions? And did you find a job right away, what was your thoughts on the school? Because I keep seeing all these posts and I am getting woried since I am in the school right now. Thanks! ...

Medical Transcription - Done With This Profession
Jun 08, 2010

My name is Carol  and I am a medical transcriptionist from Maryland.  I am very upset as I am typing this.  I am done with this profession.  I suspect that is what they want.  I have a family to feed.  No more playing games with stupid VR and accounts that sneakily send the work overseas due to corporate greed.  No person who does that could ever call themselves patriotic or American, but I bet they do.  I have been doing this and doing it well for over 20 years.  In no other vocation ...

This Is Contributing To The Decline In The Profession Too!!
Jun 22, 2010

Oh, I am so angry right now!!  I was just looking through ads and somehow ended up on Freelancer.com - people are over there BEGGING for jobs that pay $25 per audio hour (tops) or are entering bids for 35 hours of transcription at $0.20 per audio minute!!  Really?  Have you done the math?? UGH!!! The best was an Indian site that was asking for a medical transcriptionist with a 48 hour TAT paying...wait for it....wait for it....$1.50 cpl!!!!  I had the best time reading those ...

What Do List As Your Profession On Tax Forms? Sm
Mar 09, 2011

medical transcriptionist, transcriptionist, medical editor, ASR editor ?  not sure what I even am anymore other than underpaid, frustrated, and stressed beyond human comprehension (wish I could put that on the form !! HA). ...

Do You Feel Stuck In This Profession?
Sep 03, 2011

I'm feeling stuck and I just need to vent a little bit.  I have been a transcriptionist for 12 years and loved every minute of it until just the last couple of months.  I trained with the Q and really enjoyed that job.  Had a great supervisor and all was good.  I was offered an IC position with our local hospital making 0.16/line, 50 cpl with spaces.  Of course I grabbed that up.  This was 5 years ago.  2 years ago we got a new supervisor who made us all s ...