A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

WebmedX buys school - lets all MTs go - STUDENTS doing work/no pay? - Makes sense

Posted: Oct 10, 2010

I am guessing with the low quality I see that 10:1 they let a plethora of MTs go right AFTER acquiring an MT SCHOOL so that they could have the students do the work as required work for th program and not pay them.  Some of the reports I see look like they were done by a 7-year-old or someone for whom English is a second language.

They don't take all the students from M-TEC. LOL - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Funn post, though.

Uhhh, they bought the school years ago. - Me thinks you are guessing too much.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

No, it has been just over 1 year - SoCal MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Susan Francis announced the sale in August 30, 2009. So much has changed.

Wrong. Try October 2008. - see link inside

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.allbusiness.com/education-training/teaching-materials-media/11650030-1.html

it was announced 2008, not 2009 - and to OP, they do not hire students anyway

[ In Reply To ..]
They want experienced MTs and won't hire their own students. Make of that what you will.
Yes, they do hire their own students. I was an instructor - and they do hire MTEC students. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

In your own words, you are "guessing." Nothing but sour grapes and speculation. - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like you are a current employee. If you are so unhappy with your employer, why do you stay?

Guessing - This is wrong

[ In Reply To ..]
If they are hiring from their school while laying people off, this is just wrong. Now I see why so many of my MT friends at Webmedx are looking for work elsewhere and accepting other positions part-time.

They are not dumping their MTs to hire students. - You completely out in left field.

[ In Reply To ..]
When they hire, they consider their top students when possible. Yes, they do hire their own students (top students).

However, they are NOT cutting their experienced MT staff to hire students.

I'm the one who stated above that Webmedx does hire their students (I was an instructor at MTEC).

Please do not make such wild assumptions. It just feeds misinformation.

Hire from school - Left Field
[ In Reply To ..]
The fact is there were layoffs. What kind of company hires from THEIR school before bringing back loyal and qualified MT's. So while they might not be "dumping" to bring in students, the end result is the same. It's wrong, wrong, wrong and nothing anyone can say will change that fact. Regarding misinformation, Webmedx seems to do a good job of that on their own.
hiring from school - webbie
[ In Reply To ..]
If they are currently hiring from their school after the lay offs, then I agree with you. However, I think them hiring from the school was PRIOR to losing the accounts and laying off. I am not sure either, just pointing out the difference.
I'd like to say this - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Every single one of the MTs/QA laid off can reapply - the same as anyone else, experienced MTs and newbies.

By your flawed logic, an MT that has ever worked deserves a job before a newly graduated student. How wrong you are.

There are plenty of so-called experienced MTs who cannot do the job, who do not want the particular hours, who are misguided about the quality of their skills, who will not adhere to their own schedule. This list could go on and on as to why an MT with any experience would not always be the first and best candidate to hire.

They have been hiring students for quite a while, not just since or because of this recent termination event.

Most of those MTs probably have other positions already but they have the option to apply again if they want to.

At some point, lady, an MT has to be responsible for their own employment. Geesh.

Similar Messages:

The Q Buys JLG?
Sep 16, 2011

I wonder how that's going over down there? I can only surmise. ...

MQ Buys M*modal
Jul 11, 2011

for the worse, if that's possible! Anyone who thought they'd conquer VR and make money, MQ just shot you in the foot.    ...

MQ Buys JLG. How Many Companies Has MQ
Sep 16, 2011

"Chewed up and spat out" might be a better description. ...

When MQ Buys Out A New Company, Do They
Mar 16, 2012

My company was just bought last month, and suddenly all the higher ups are "resigning".  I would think they would have done that before accepting the new position, not after jumping through all the hoops and piles of paperwork to get hired, the miserable process of training on 10 different website logins, etc. None of them will admit it, but it sure seems like MQ is firing off everyone who doesn't make them money.  Is this the normal process?   ...

Together We Can.... Lets Have Fun With This
May 25, 2010

I know I would rather laugh than cry today and hopefully the amazing creativity on this board will put a smile on everyone's face. ...

CBay Buys Spheris
Feb 03, 2010

Just curious, how do you guys (and gals) feel about the fact that CBay just purchased Spheris? ...

Looks Like A Done Deal, MQ Buys Spheris
Apr 15, 2010

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville/stories/2010/04/12/daily31.html   MedQuist Inc. and its majority shareholder, CBay Inc., will buy Franklin-based Spheris Inc. for $116.3 million — $48 million more than the companies originally offered for the bankrupt medical transcription company and its India subsidiary. A Delaware bankruptcy judge signed off on the sale today following an all-night auction of Spheris’ assets that concluded at 6 a.m. The price includes $98 ...

MedQuist Buys All Type, Too. Sm
Sep 20, 2011

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44588832 ...

ASR Lets Get Some Changes Made!
Mar 12, 2010

I just really want to encourage all of you to make note of things ASR is doing wrong and sending the info in either to support@ or to your CCM.  I have been sending things in and actually getting some changes made here and there.  If we all did it maybe we could help ourselves out at least a little bit. I'm talking about things like you have been correcting text forever and ASR still is not getting it, like on docs who say the same exact same thing every time and it still comes o ...

MQ Buys Spheris Domestic Assets. NM
Feb 03, 2010

x ...

Nuance/Focus Buys Encompass!
Aug 08, 2010

Focus is an offshore company.  Another good company down the tubes.  ...

Regional Hospital In VT Lets 30 MTs Go
May 27, 2010

Fletcher Allen Healthcare in Burlington, Vermont, was in the news this week for dropping 30 medical transcriptionists due to "new technology reducing the need for medical transcriptionists"....how very sad. ...

Lets See My Peeve For Today Is
Nov 27, 2012

How do you keep every profile straight when you have about 60 to follow?  And how do you make any money?  Honestly would rather be NJA then handle all these different accounts, at least I could accomplish something like maybe housework, or walking the dogs. ...

Lets All Email Our TCM And Ask What Vern, Amy
Dec 18, 2012

x ...

Lets Get Pounding On This Work!
Dec 19, 2012

I just thought that if all MTs would work like crazy from now through Saturday, we could empty the system out and ensure that other MTs who were not approved for PTO could still spend time with their family. Plus, then we would have extra money on our check cause you know the entire week after Christmas into the New Year there will be no work!   Pound it out people. Our Christmas gift to eachother. ...

Okay, Lets Try Tips/hints Again
Apr 01, 2014

The next tip/hint I have for everyone is the comma, semicolon, and colon. First of all, UNLESS YOUR DICTATOR IS VERBATIM, ignore their punctuation. Most doctors I have experience with wouldn’t know proper punctuation if it bit them in the behind. Just because they say “comma” doesn’t mean their correct. I won’t say much about the comma, because I think we all pretty much know how to use that. However, the semicolon stumps some people, especially doctors. A semicolon ...

Heres Is My Suggestion, Instead Of Bitching..lets
Feb 02, 2012

Give the new owner a chance..BUT  make up an email address that they cant trace to you and start flooding him with emails of complaint... ...

Okay, Sistas. Lets Talk About BOOST.
May 10, 2012

inactive time, right?  "Inactive time is defined as length of time when neither audio is played nor keystrokes clicked in an open job" as per the email.  SOOOOOO, why dont we all just keep the audio running as we research, go to the bathroom, etc.  Just make a note of where you are in the audio, go do your thing, come back and finish up.  What would MM think of NONE of us had any inactive time anymore, lol. ...

Lets Review For Fun The Denegration Of This Profession
Oct 30, 2012

I came on board in the 1990s, the height of the IC.  I was paid gross line count (for any newbies that is a line per line, no matter how many characters) and I was paid for everything, headers, footers, demographics, if there was a character on that line, I got paid.  Paid 10 cpl and never made anything less than 45,000 to 50,000.  No raises, but back then it was a very good salary, no ridiculous TATs, NO TIME CLOCKS and we had 24 hours to turn back in our work. Yes, TAT needed t ...

New Game Lets Play Guess The ASR
May 24, 2015

Patient female with flattened Amy a "Patient came in with anemia." so very close ASR, so very close ...

Search Previous Dates Like This...if Your Page Only Lets You
Aug 03, 2014

I saw a question the other day asking how to get back farther in the message posts. The board is listed in date order, so what I do if I want to reread, for instance, something from late July, I use the search key above and type in a date the way the dates are shown... 2014-07-23,  then just tap the little search tab! At the bottom of your screen you can scroll through page after page of posts on that day from all the boards. There is good information about Nuance on alot of the boards her ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Any VLC Students Out There?
Dec 22, 2009

Are any other VLC students out there hearing anything from VLC?  (See my earlier post...)  My emails don't seem to be getting through, I can't get hold of them on the phone - just voicemail - and they've not returned the message I left.  Two assignments I sent 9 days ago have not been reviewed.  $1500 for this course was way too much to be left in the air like this, never mind the 18 months of work for nothing!  Their forums are down so I� ...

How Many MT Students Do You Think There Are?
Mar 27, 2011

I know that there are a lot of programs, but does anyone know how many actual students there are or new graduates each year?  Will there be enough jobs to support that many students/new grads or will there not be enough new MTs to fill positions? I am very curious about this as I am considering medical transcription and the information out there is confusing. ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Question For New Students
Jun 06, 2010

There was a rash of new coders signing up for coding courses down below.  How is it going?  We would love to hear from you about what you are experiencing so far.   ...

Andrews Students...
Feb 06, 2012

For those of you who are past or present Andrews students... how did you/are you paying for your course? I know you can either put a down payment or pay in full.  Just curious, thanks. ...

Coding Students
May 19, 2013

I am just wondering if any other coding students sometimes feel so overwhelmed, especially trying to work full time and study. I knew going into this that it wasn't going to be easy. One thing I have learned through all of this is that, yes there is a code for that, but you need to learn how to find it (even if it doesn't make one bit of sense)! :) ...

Any Andrews Students Or Grads?
May 08, 2010

I wondered if there are any current coding students or graduates from Andrews around?  I'm close to enrolling in their coding program, and I would really love to hear from others who have taken the course.  ...

For Other Andrews Students In Module III
May 18, 2012

Hi you all, I hope there are some students in module III who are in the case studies or have graduated that can answer my question.  I have just gotten into the intermediate case studies and am feeling totally LOST! I don't know if I am being intimidated or what.  The multiple choice ones I don't have any problem with, but when I have to code the cases without the choices i'm floundering!  It's funny how I thought I would remember a lot, but when it comes ...