A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Off-shoring a potentially risky cost saver for organizations - MGM

Posted: Mar 27, 2013

Interesting read.  I found this October 2008 article in which our own company (formerly Medquist) is mentioned.  Here is the link:

http://www.online-crc.com/content.cfm?content_id=220556

Just a few excerpts from the article:

The problem is worse in other countries where U.S. law doesn’t apply and protection against the risk of medical identity theft is minimal or nonexistent. “We need tougher laws for outsourced companies in other countries.”  “The risk of someone’s identity being stolen is too great.”

However, the problem for patients and providers is that HIPAA doesn’t regulate the processing and sharing of sensitive information by workers in other countries. Nor can individuals take legal action to recover damages sustained as a result of security violations.

My thoughts:  I wonder what would happen if we were to flood our legislators with letters of concern in regards to patient identity theft due to corporate greed looking for (cheap labor) to make a profit with no concern or regard to patient medical information quality and security.  I personally want to start sending letters to our legislators.  I would appreciate any suggestions and ideas from all of you.  I am not worried about being fired.  I have skills, I am intelligent, I have decades of work experience, I am going to school at this time to get my degree and move on to another profession.  However, I hate what big business has done to this profession and the intelligent, hardworking MTs who continue to give the very best of themselves to these organizations.  United I know we can make a difference but what is more important is letting the American people know that their medical/personal information is being sent beyond the borders of the U.S., and that we need to put an end to this.

try change.org - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Anyone can start a petition on Change.org. I recently saw one regarding offshoring by Craftsman tools.

That is what I have been saying all along - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
But nobody listened about HIPAA. To me it is a violation of Homeland Security. Makes you wonder why ID theft is so rampant doesn't it? And how about the calls from the Indian dude saying he is from Microsoft and they are calling about a security problem on your computer? One of my favorite people to screw with.

Microsoft guy from india - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Ohhhh I had a lot of fun with that dude, told him just a sec, my son-in-law with the FBI was here and wanted to talk with him and my son-in-law WAS here and played along...he hung up pronto!

LOL..I let him go on and on - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and when I played him long enough, said hey Habib how stupid do you think I am, my computer isn't even on, I'm watching TV..

Similar Messages:

Who Here Is Going To Work OT Where Potentially
Mar 04, 2010

is going to go up???  ...

MAY 1. Another Way To Participate If It's Just Too Risky.
Apr 27, 2012

A strong message sent on one day by a large number of people is good, but it's not the only way to to make ourselves felt.  We can do quiet little personal protests, and more of them. Days, even hours, can be taken off other days through the entire summer. Production drops, sick pay rises. PROFITS FALL OFF. They'll get the message. I've just decided to join my sister on a tour of gardens in a city I don't get to very often (date unspecified, of course). After that ...

HELP! Prof MT Organizations
Jul 26, 2013

Can anyone advise me about membership in a professional MT organization.  I'm an independent and have been informed by two companies that I need errors and omission liability insurance, but I cannot get a quote unless I'm affiliated with an organization.  (This profession keeps getting better and better ... NOT!!!)   ...

EPIC Organizations
Feb 05, 2015

Organizations on the Care Everywhere Network ...

Time Saver Problem
Feb 02, 2010

I cannot get past entering my In and Out times on the time sheet.  I get that far and pre-save it but then I cannot get Pay Code to open and also cannot put in my total hours for the day.  I spent 30 minutes last night, deleting and starting over again.  I am following the instructions step by step, but no luck.  I emailed the adphelp and they will probably have an answer but in the meantime I was just wondering if anyone else was having problems like this. Thanks! ...

Screen Saver Has Disappeared
Feb 12, 2013

Anyone know how to get it back or do I even need it? Thank you. ...

AHDI And AHIMA And Off-shoring
Aug 19, 2013

Where are AHDI and AHIMA in all of this?  We pay membership dues for them to be our "voice."  (Guess I'm delusional) ...

Hiring Frenzy Or Off Shoring?
Mar 20, 2014

Can it get any worse?  So little pay, so much brow beating about errors and now work is disappearing! ...

White House Petition Re: Off-shoring
Sep 17, 2013

Check out site below. Signatures needed! https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/stop-sending-our-medical-records-offshore/B8mSk5hN   ...

Petition To White House To Stop Off-shoring Jobs . . .
Nov 15, 2012

Please take a look at the petition I've started on the White House "We the People" website. We need 250 signatures for it to go lived, and then 25,000 within 30 days to force the administration to review it and respond. It is here http://wh.gov/XbqE It may not help, but I think it's worth a shot. Thanks! ...

OP Note S/l 60 Cc Of "self-saver" Fluid?
Nov 10, 2009

thanks ...

What's A VPN And How Much Does It Cost?
Jul 13, 2013

Do any of you know what's involved in setting up a virtual private network and what the cost would be?  It seems that companies hiring MTs to transcribe into their clients' EMR are requiring the MT to use a VPN.  Would I need a special computer for this?  Thanks for any advice.  ...

Why Does Certification Cost So Much?
Aug 23, 2010

I'm eligible to sit for the CMT and the RHIT and both exams are over $200 to take. It feels like I'm buying credentials! Why are these certification exams so much money to take and keep up! It's ridiculous! What do you pay for? ...

The Q Cost Me My Computer
Oct 17, 2010

With the update to 6.1, I began having computer crashes.  When I logged on to DQS, my screen went black 5 times before it loaded.  It did this every time.  After a week, when I finished my shift and went to check my email, the computer completely froze.  Took it to the computer shop, and the guy said he deleted some of the programs in my "service program." All was well for exactly 2 weeks, although I still had the black screen problem when loading DQS.  The same thing h ...

Cobra Cost
Sep 13, 2012

What are others on Cobra doing w/regards to high deductible? At this, I won't be able to afford any meds. ...

How Much Would MT School Cost?
Apr 18, 2013

Please, no lectures!  Not for me,  but for my niece, who is just looking for a little extra cash, as her hubby is bringing in good income and she was thinking about doing what I do.  I was so lucky to learn on the job, on-site, almost 20 years ago.  How long would training be for the minimum tier, or whatever they call it now, and approximately what would the cost be?  Thank you. ...

How Is .02 CPL Cost-effective? (sm)
Apr 08, 2014

I don't think many with experience would accept .02 CPL.  I would imaging this forces MTSOs to train newbies.  I'm sure they have to pay QA far more than .04 CPL to correct and go over the work.  Even if they did pay QA only .04 CPL to do this, they are paying at least .06 CPL total.  By the time the new editor is sufficiently trained to go off 100% QA they have had more than enough time to realize that they will never make a living doing this kind of work, the lies ...

How Much Do The Cert. Tests Below Cost?
Apr 02, 2010

nm ...

Increase In Cost Of Benefits
Mar 09, 2011

Help!!! Okay, I've been working PT for MQ for 7 long years.  I am considering going FT just for the benefits because no one can live off of minimum wage. Because information on open enrollment will not be available until late April/May for June 2011, I need to know if the rates normally go up and by about how much?  Please, I only want to hear from MQ (not recently new to MQ from Spheris or non-MQ people) people who have been full time for the ...

Cost Of Outsourcing Transcription
Jan 02, 2013

Interesting.   http://www.heu.org/news-media/news-releases/costs-outsourcing-medical-transcription-skyrocket-150-cent-just-four-years ...

Cost Of Andrews Coding Course?
Jun 30, 2013

Can anyone tell me the cost of the coding course at Andrews? Do you still get a discount if you completed the medical transcription course? ...

AVOID SAINCE TRANSCRIPTION AT ALL COST!!!!
Apr 02, 2010

Avoid Saince.  They are intrusive, constantly calling and they don't pay.  They hijacked my PC for 33-1/2 hours and their paperwork said they pay $10 an hour and then today I was told they only pay a flat rate $100.  HELLO!! THEY OWE ME $335 BEFORE TAXES THANK YOU!  They pay by black character only which means you don't get paid for spaces so you type 22 reports a day and average about 600 lines.  Nice!  When asked if you get paid according to the line co ...

What The Heck Does Shrinking Cost Base Mean.
Aug 19, 2010

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aRYbCNbTPgQJ:www.marketwatch.com/story/medquist-reports-second-quarter-2010-results-with-revenue-up-26-primarily-due-to-spheris-asset-acquisition-in-april-2010-2010-08-11+medquist+restructuring&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a   The following results for both the three months and six months ended June 30, 2010 include the Spheris results from the acquisition date. Prior to its acquisition, Spheris had been ...

Synernet - Cost Of Health Insurance
Apr 02, 2013

Can anyone tell me what the approximate cost of an individual health insurance plan is with Synernet?  What about the QA system --- helpful or adversarial?  Also, saw a previous comment about schedules -- do they require strict adherence or is there some flexibility? ...

Cost Of Hightest/best Insurance On COBRA
Dec 12, 2014

Does anyone know what the current cost of COBRA is for the highest level of insurance (the "better" one) that Nuance offers is for a single person?  (Well, single in that no other members are claimed.) I've been offered an IC job that pays very well, but I have to keep my insurance (as crappy as this policy is).  I know I can get healthcare through the marketplace thingy, but I'm wondering if I just needed to take COBRA for a bit, how much would it cost. Please only respond ...

Why Is It Impossible To Find Out The Cost Of Andrews
Apr 27, 2015

Can someone give me at least a ballpark figure for the course?  I don't want to send and email and/or call just yet....still not even sure I can afford to do this.  :)  Thanks!   ...

Does Transcend Offer Health Insurance And What Is Cost? TIA.
Apr 10, 2010

nm ...

Amphion - Deductible, Percentages, Or Cost For Single?
Jul 15, 2010

I'm interviewing with this company this week. Can anyone give me recent experience with this company? Is the pay fair? How user-friendly is their system? Can you give me info on medical benefits such as deductible, percentages, or cost for single? Really any recent information is very helpful and much appreciated. Thank you! ...

MedQuist Provides Significant Transcription Cost Reductions
Jul 21, 2011

MedQuist was able to provide significant transcription cost reductions while providing a solution that fully integrates with Mercy's EHR technology.  Article states this and came out today. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/medquist-deepens-role-in-sisters-of-mercys-ehr-deployment-strategy-expanding-cost-saving-clinical-documentation-services-and-technology-2011-07-21?reflink=MW_news_stmp Not only do we give our hard earned money to the board of directors, but also some MQ staff mem ...

Cost Differential For Difficult Dictators In The New Plan?
Dec 04, 2014

I didn't see a cost differential for difficult dictators in the new plan? Did anyone else? So you can work day shift  with the lowest tier and have the crappiest dictator around but still get lowest pay. And isn't it lovely that the new rate will be on the Dec. 26 paycheck? I guessing there may be a mass exodus in January.  ...