A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

HELP! Prof MT organizations - Dahlia

Posted: Jul 26, 2013

Can anyone advise me about membership in a professional MT organization.  I'm an independent and have been informed by two companies that I need errors and omission liability insurance, but I cannot get a quote unless I'm affiliated with an organization.  (This profession keeps getting better and better ... NOT!!!)

errors and omissions - mt35

[ In Reply To ..]
saw something about this earlier...news to me. Have been an IC almost my entire career and it is the MTSO/Client who is responsible for content, which is why they have QA or someone in the office or hospital setting checking work for accuracy. My contract states "The Client accepts full and final responsibility for content, accuracy and completeness of all reports, transcripts/documents, and agrees that their providers shall proofread all reports, transcripts/documents prepared by the Contractor."

E&O - Dahlia

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your feedback. I have been hearing from a lot of "seasoned" transcriptionists who also say they have never done this.

Sounds like just another MTSO scheme to force - American MTs out of the MT field.

[ In Reply To ..]
Nope. Not gonna buy any stupid "MT insurance". They need us insured? They're the ones with the big bucks - let THEM insure us, then.

Not only that, but they already have insurance. It would seem to me that, either as employees or ICs (subcontractors working for the company)we would be under the employers' "umbrella", anyway.

I think it's just another scare tactic to force even more of us to quit.

While I do agree that - E&O

[ In Reply To ..]
is a scam and not necessary for an MT, I don't think you have to be a member of an organization to get it, just maybe to get a discount.

Wow, smells like a rat to me - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I recall a number of years ago, maybe 4 or 5, that AHDI was promoting E&O insurance for MTs. If they were promoting it, and the only way you could get it was by being a member, then that stinks like rotten fish. I also read a thread on another MT forum about this (caveat lector). In this thread, a well-known MT had taken the issue up with a lawyer, and he said he had never, ever heard of a medical transcriptionist being held liable for any injury that occurred as a result of an error in a report. Even with the recent lawsuit with the medication error that the speech engine interpreted wrong and that the Indian MT did not catch which resulted in a patient death, the MT company, the doctor, and facility contracting with the company were held liable, not the MT.

I think you're right. That Indian MT, even though - inadequate because of the - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
language barrier, was still doing her best. The company that HIRES an inadequate MT, or the facility that outsources to a company that offshores, should be the one who is liable.

Even if my employer said I had to have this mythical E&O insurance, I would just say, "Fine, you buy it, then." I won't put one more penny into this insane profession. Not for brush-up courses, not for E&O insurance, and most assuredly NOT for AHDI membership, or any other money-pit that is supposedly related to MT. They want us to start giving them money, they better start seriously considering actually paying us a *real* wage to do this job.

Similar Messages:

Prof. Dr. John Doe. How Do You Fix This?
Feb 21, 2010

I'm typing a physician's CV off a copy on an image and a few references are for a Prof. Dr. John Doe or others with similar titles.  I know these Prof. Dr. mentioned are MDs, but I have no idea what the heck the Prof is for.  Could I type it Prof. John Doe, MD?  These people mentioned seem to be from Argentina and I am not at all familiar with their titles, abbreviations, punctuation (like missing periods after Prof and Dr), and so on.  Apparently all these referenc ...

EPIC Organizations
Feb 05, 2015

Organizations on the Care Everywhere Network ...

Off-shoring A Potentially Risky Cost Saver For Organizations
Mar 27, 2013

Interesting read.  I found this October 2008 article in which our own company (formerly Medquist) is mentioned.  Here is the link: http://www.online-crc.com/content.cfm?content_id=220556 Just a few excerpts from the article: The problem is worse in other countries where U.S. law doesn’t apply and protection against the risk of medical identity theft is minimal or nonexistent. “We need tougher laws for outsourced companies in other countries.”  “The ris ...