A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

interesting Medquist article - MT

Posted: Aug 11, 2011

http://www.faqs.org/sec-filings/110316/MEDQUIST-INC_10-K/

Start at Part 1 - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Start at table contents, Part 1, Business, and skim down through the whole thing. Very informative.

greedy Medquist - longtime MT

[ In Reply To ..]
From 2008 to 2010, our net revenue increased from $326.9 million to $375.2 million.

This was an exert out of the report. I can't believe they are worth that much and can't pay the people that have made them a success a living wage.

I think we all should bombard the President's office and email with letters about this outsourcing. If they want to outsource like they do then they need to be penalized to subsidize unemployment. Any and every company that is based in America who outsources more than 5% of their business should be heavily penalized. Then it would not be so profitable for them to outsource our work. Also I think hospitals and doctors offices that sign on with a company that uses overseas workers should also be penalized. Maybe the hospitals and doctors should go to India to get their patients. Lets see how much they get paid for that.

Sorry to rant about this but I am so sick of this crap and seeing the profit margin from MedQuist just made me completely sick to my stomach until I am ready to puke.

If someone could help me find an email address for the President I would greatly appreciate it because I really would like to bring this to his attention, not that it would matter but if enough of us send him an email maybe it would do something for us.

The reason I hate Medquist so much, - (sm) - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
(and I don't even work there), is that my company aspires to be just like the Q. In its quest to become the next-worst-MTSO in the country, it becomes more difficult by the day to make a living.

I read this board religiously, because whatever the Q does to its employees, all the others follow suit not long after. MQ's continual increase in squeezing the life out of its MTs make it the bellwether for what the rest of us face in our jobs at other companies.

Your mention of the article where their net revenue increased so much in just 2 years, yet the MTs that earned them that revenue get nothing, is exactly what's happening down the road at my company. They made money hand-over-fist recently, especially once the economy turned sour, because they were able to use that as an excuse to stick it to us even more than ever, knowing that at least some of their employees would actually believe it when they told us our wages had to be cut in order for "the company to stay afloat". Also, they knew we'd have a hard time getting out of MT when no one is hiring. So then, what did they do? They "pulled a Medquist", and went out and gobbled up a couple more companies. All that money spent on buying out another company, and not even one-tenth of one red cent went to any of us that busted our humps to get them the money to make such a major purchase.

I hate what this industry has become, due to greed in healthcare, and even greater greed in the middlemen who saw an opportunity to cash in on the greed of the hospitals, whose already-overpaid upper management wanted to cut as much of their clerical workforce as possible, in order to line their own, already-overstuffed pockets with more cash.

The greed of the MTSO spawned AAMT/AHDI, and my hatred of THOSE parasites on the industry knows no bounds.

But most of all, right now I hate Medquist.

Greedy Medquist - kitty

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is part of it I copied for later analysis and to see if I can get some answers. What do you folks think?

Our newest SpeechQ offering, SpeechQDirect can voice-enable customer EHRs to drive greater adoption, which will assist them in realizing incentive funds from the government for that adoption.
The part about REALIZING INCENTIVE FUNDS FROM THE GOVERNMENT. What the H**L!
Oh, yeah - Absolutely
[ In Reply To ..]
I saw that in some article quoting Obama, saying how much EHR is going to save money and how hard they're pushing for it, which of course means there will be incentive funds to get it up and running. It's going to put all of us on the unemployment line, plain and simple.
Incentive - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
The reason customers are converting to EHR and speech recognition is just that; the government does pay incentives to facilities using it. No one wants to lose Medicare and other funding. A nationwide EHR is supposed to be in effect by 2014.

Similar Messages:

Interesting Article On VBC...
Jun 14, 2011

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/VBC-Compensation-for-MTs.aspx Read the comments too.  The second one is on point! ...

Interesting Article...
Aug 07, 2011

This just basically proves that it still takes a human to do what a computer can't do...     ...

Another Interesting Article...sm
Jul 12, 2012

found this interesting and encouraging... ...

Interesting Article Re EMR
Sep 22, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/business/medicare-billing-rises-at-hospitals-with-electronic-records.html?smid=pl-share Please read!   ...

Very Interesting Article To Read.
Mar 11, 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1226934/Indian-police-arrest-company-boss-accused-selling-medical-records-British-patients.html ...

Interesting Article About Nuance
Mar 22, 2012

I was reading an email about current trends in the industry and it talked about Nuance's acquisition of Transcend and how Nuance had acquired 43 companies since being in business, gaining some of those acquisitions by bullying competitors with lawsuits and then buying them out. Then I stumbled across this article on Bloomberg Businessweek. It's a little dated (May 2011) but quite interesting, especially the quote from the Dave Grannan, CEO of Vlingo: "Competing with Nuance is like havi ...

Stumbled Across An Interesting Article
Jul 12, 2012

It was from a 2011 article on SR ... the comments are being made by Lynn Kosegi from M*Modal: Someone else who has been very eloquently making the same case for a while is Lynn Kosegi of M*Modal. Lynn presented at AHDI Florida twice last year, at our technology workshop and at our annual meeting, and she explained that paying speech rec editors at 50% the line rate effectively punishes the best producers and those producers will ultimately be lost to the profession, replaced by transcription di ...

Interesting Article About Scribes, Etc.
Aug 28, 2013

"Wow, the rates have gone down! Only $8-$10 per hour for these folks? That̢۪s great! Minimum wage in Oregon is currently $8.40 per hour. That means that I can get someone smart enough to learn medical terminology (the average medical student̢۪s vocabulary doubles over four years of medical school), operate an EMR (every one is different, and most all of them are hideously complex), listen carefully (a rare commodity in itself), type quickly (remember, the average follow-up visit only las ...

Interesting Article On Scribes...
Mar 01, 2014

From Health Care IT News - February 2014.  Interview with an ER doctor about using scribes in the ER and the process of documenting/entering information. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/blog/medical-scribes-history-present-illness-now-narrative ...

Thought This Was An Interesting Article
Jun 23, 2014

Personally, I think it would be great if we had TV commercials or radio commercials showing the impact and decline of the accuracy of patients' medical records and the starving of US MTs to death by greedy MTSOs offshoring to other countries. http://www.ahdilounge.org/index.php/2014/06/is-it-time-to-take-to-the-streets/ ...

Interesting Article Regards Apps And
Oct 24, 2014

From Boston Biz Journal http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/health-care/2014/10/apps-the-next-frontier-to-the-electronic-medical.html?page=all ...

Interesting Article About Transcriptionists Not Going Away
Jun 10, 2015

I came across this today when I was searching info on medical transcription. I found it interesting when it said offshoring was once popular in the 90s... http://www.ahdpg.com/calling-all-transcriptionists-the-world-needs-you/ ...

Interesting Article On Spheris Buyout.
Jun 01, 2010

Below is the link to article. http://business.nashvillepost.com/2010/03/15/spheris-seeks-approval-for-850k-bonus-plan/ ...

Interesting Article About Tech & Worldview
Apr 11, 2015

See especially the paragraph about driving down wages and controlling hiring.  This reminds me of MM and N's recent calling of ex-employees, and the recent post about the ex-employee being BULLIED  (the post is on the board here).  ...

Interesting Article, Nuance/M*Modal 20% Of Tx Business. Sm
May 22, 2012

Although this article dates back to March, I found it interesting. Had no idea that Nuance and MQ (M*Modal) only had 20% of the transcription business when this was written in March, 2012. http://seekingalpha.com/article/408141-can-transcend-services-write-its-own-ticket ...

Interesting Article About Fraudulent Scribing Practices
Mar 09, 2014

Hmmmmmm...I think I'll pass on trying to become a scribe. I don't think I could do what this scribe is asked to do. ...

Medquist Now M Modal. Very Interesting!
Jan 24, 2012

. ...

New Medquist Article About Best Practices
Aug 06, 2010

AUSTIN, Texas, Aug. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- 2010 AHDI Conference -- MedQuist Inc. (Nasdaq: MEDQ), a leading provider of technology-enabled clinical documentation services, continues to support industry best practices for quality standards and metrics.  Together with the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI), the Medical Transcription Industry Association (MTIA) and other industry quality leaders, ...

Has Anyone Ever Tried To Buy Their Medquist Computer From Medquist
Jul 18, 2011

????? ...

Very Interesting.....
Apr 16, 2012

I think it is very interesting how a company will make you jump through hoops to "prove" you are an independent contractor but still want you to use an employee based punch in/out system. You don't get it both ways, if I am an independent contractor, then I don't have to use your employee based punch system, especially when you want to charge for it but to keep track of my own hours is free. ...

Here's An Interesting One...
Apr 27, 2012

ASR put "1,000,000 cm" instead of mobility. What? Why? ...

Well, Here's Something Interesting
May 02, 2012

I copied this from another site (sorry not supposed to put names on here): "(Transcription company name) is looking for MTs with minimum one year's experience for its Delhi office.  Mail CV at (their e-mail address here).  No, we do not outsource!" What the h***fire does that mean?  We do not outsource?  oh you mean to AMERICA where you got the work from?  sad, very very sad. ...

Interesting Ad
Oct 15, 2012

I saw an ad for radiology.  It states no experience necessary.  Paid training is available.  Typing skills are a plus but not required.  Earn up to $30,000 part time adn $55,000 full time.  How can someone post an ad like this.   Obviously it is an ad to train for medical transcription.  I hope that no one falls for this. ...

Well, This Is Interesting...
Jan 23, 2014

NJA yesterday for a significant amount of time.  Today, I log on...NJA.  Fifteen minutes later, they begin trickling in...jobs dictated YESTERDAY!!!  How is that even possible?? omg.  I thought there were NJA available yesterday!!!  ...

It Will Be Interesting To See What Happens When
Jan 28, 2014

Been reading the business perspective of what will happen when (not if - when) minimum wage is increased, and 99% of companies who employ low income workers say that will be the day they lay off most of their employees, or have to close their doors altogether.  Not that I expect MModal to ever "close their doors", but that does leave open the other alternative for a huge layoff as the need to "supplement" employees who aren't earning minimum wage, or who don't meet their ridiculou ...

Isn't This Interesting
Aug 29, 2014

Ran across this bit of information while looking for something else.  (Isn't that how it always happens?)  I don't know if it's been posted before, but even if it has, it's worth posting again. http://www.mtexchange.com/medical-transcription-exchange/who-owns-mtstars-com/ ...

Isn't It Interesting...
Mar 11, 2015

...that on the weekend before a big meeting with the client, there's an OOW situation on both Saturday and Sunday when on previous weekends the TSMs were begging us to work extra since MTs are either quitting or there's not enough coverage in the first place. So now we're being told to make up our missed weekend hours during the week, when it's obvious that the work was outsourced to cover the higher-ups' butts! Why are WE expected to be inconvenienced due to their lac ...

This Article Just Says It All.
Oct 09, 2012

Whole WSJ Article
Mar 08, 2014

A medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said.M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these people said. The bankruptcy negotiations come about 18 months after One Equity Partners took ...

Something That I Found Very Interesting
Nov 21, 2009

Just for the heck of it, I went to the resume section of this board, and noticed there were quite a few MTs with "entry-level or less than 5 year's experience" wanting to be compensated 10-15 cpl  -- I really seriously doubt that is going to happen, especially for a "newer" MT.  I would suggest that if you are really serious about finding a job in MT, then revise your expected compensation rate to something a bit more realistic. ...