A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MModal Guidelines order of importance - sm

Posted: Feb 12, 2014

With all this talk of people being audited more frequently, including myself.  I thought I'd try to help out a little.  MModal follows 4 documents when it comes to formatting, and they are really cracking down on it.  They have a certain order in which to follow, one trumping the other.  If you can't find what you are looking for in the first document, move on to the next one.  Here's the order:

1.  Client profile - this will list any exceptions to the rules. 
2.  DQS Standards and Guidelines - this is mostly how to handle DQS (Fluency) situations; however, there are some formatting/grammar rules in this as well (e.g. patient name rule).  Don't skip it when looking things up.
3.  Transcription Style Guide - this has most of the things that you will run into when editing and has a lot of rules that are different than the BOS2.
4.  BOS2 - only use this when the info is not found anywhere else.  I rarely use it anymore as most things are in the TSG.  

If you don't have any of the last 3 guides, you must ask your TSM or QTL for them, and I highly suggest skimming through them, noting anything that is different than what you usually do.  You can probably skip reading the BOS2 as it is extremely long and is becoming obsolete.

Also, I know everybody hates doing it, but read your feedback from the MMEs.  What they leave never counts against you in an audit.  If they don't cite the reasons for feedback, double check with the guides.  If they are incorrect and it's a serious error, let your QTL know as this MME is probably steering a lot of MTs on the wrong track because they are still sticking to old school rules.  If they are correct, suck it up, and take note of it.  We all make mistakes; that is how we learn.  If you feel an MME is rude, definitely let your QTL know.  I know some of you have said that the feedback is offending when its short and to the point, quoting straight from one of the guides or the CP.  Keep in mind, MMEs in my group have been told to be short and to the fact with their feedback and to never assume that the MT knows and had just slipped up.  Trying to sound nice in feedback to someone who is being told they are wrong almost always ends up to be offending; hence, the reason for being straight to the point.  There is no intention of being cold.  The role of an MME is to help others pass their audit, NOT belittle them.  If you suspect any MME doing so, report them immediately.  MMEs make mistakes and some are stuck in the old rules also.  They need to be given feedback by the MT to put them on the right track.  I'm an MME and I want all of the US team to pass our audits and try to be as helpful as I can.  Nitpicking is a waste of everyone's time and money, especially the MMEs, and I don't understand why some do it.

Finally, if you have any questions on an audit, definitely dispute it, especially if it doesn't jive with the guides or is a punctuation error.  Unless the punctuation error changes the meaning of a sentence, they should not be counted against you.  I've dispute an error once and I did get the point back, so it doesn't hurt to try if you think it will work.

I though Benchmark was supposed to be the - thing to follow

[ In Reply To ..]
I mean it was out payoff for them stealing from us. Just was looking, as I saw ASR print proTime out. I had a shortcut to make it pro time, because that is what I though my QA person once told me. Go to benchmark it has proTime, go to MQ style guide and it is pro time. No WONDER no one can pass a blasted audit, too many sources of information. By the way, thank you for the post.

Definitely not - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Only use Benchmark for reference for words, physicians, meds, etc. We were told by our QTL to ignore the BOS that is on Benchmark as MModal doesn't use that. All the information I gave is straight from my QTL and she is very on top of things. If an MME tells you something otherwise, certainly double check with your QTL and save the email so you can use it against them if you ever get dinged for it. Nobody is infallible in this company. If you do something wrong that you were told to do by someone higher up, make sure you have proof of it so you are not held accountable.

This is a joke right? Read it back. No one should work under these conditions. nm - WOW

[ In Reply To ..]
Well it's kind of like the story - when you
[ In Reply To ..]
boil the frog. You start out with cold water and slowly turn up the heat so the frog doesn't know what's happening. We just do what the company tells us so we can keep our jobs. You're right, no one should work under these conditions, but we can't think or reason objectively. We're just trying to keep our heads above water (no pun intended) and pay our bills. It's hard, but not impossible to break free from this kind of abuse.

Similar Messages:

Who Got The Mmodal Guidelines?
Apr 08, 2012

A good CCM would have never just sent out the email I got...Guidelines attached..There are several critical changes in there in case no one told you..I am finding out the hardway skipping through when I am working. ...

MQ Guidelines/BOS/CPs
Apr 18, 2010

I have been scanning through posts for several years here and am amazed at the recurrent complaints about standards.  Some of you sound as if you have to refer to all three sources every single time you transcribe a document and therefore your production is low and you get crappy audit results.  Really?  If you are not able to retain these kinds of guidelines with the need to only occasionally reference them (except when you're new and training), this is totally not the job f ...

Guidelines, Etc.
Jun 09, 2011

Well, I have read a couple of e-mails from corporate today.  I do not know about anyone else, but they are as clear as mud.  Don't these people have anything better to do than set these guidelines?  I know a hospital where the transcription was free style and when MQ took over THEY decided to have one format.  Like it changes anything.  Talk about control freaks! ...

TAA Guidelines
Aug 17, 2013

According to US DOL, "To obtain TAA or ATAA services and benefits, a group of workers must first file a petition with the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Trade Adjustment Assistance (OTAA) requesting certification as workers adversely affected by foreign trade. If certified, each worker in the group may then apply separately for individual services and benefits through their local One-Stop Career Center. Workers age 50 and older who are certified as eligible to apply for both TAA and A ...

QA Guidelines
Mar 31, 2015

What is the standard practice where you work regarding QA scores, minor errors, critical errors, major errors, ie., dock in pay, verbal warning, termination?   ...

Dictating Out Of Order
Dec 07, 2009

This is driving me crazy!  My main account has several docs that dictate their review of systems and PE out of body system order, like instead of the neck head down, they dictate the abdomen or extremities first.  ...

Medquist DQS Guidelines
Aug 12, 2010

I was just re-reading my client profile and noticed that this is a reference to go by.  What are the DQS Guidelines and where do I find them?  TIA ...

(s/l) *low Order* Ramp...SM
Aug 29, 2010

The patient exercised today on a 2-minute children’s treadmill protocol.  I chose this protocol since there is (s/l) *low-order* or *well-order* ramp which I thought would be less likely to cause pelvic discomfort. ...

First, Second, Third-order... Angiography
May 02, 2011

Can anybody enlighten me on what is meant by the first-order.... angiography?  I've been trying to google it and it doesn't really explain. ...

Job Order Question
Oct 07, 2011

Does anyone know the order in which we get our jobs?  I mean I know that they are not first come first serve because the times are off.  Thanks! ...

Printable DQS Guidelines
Sep 06, 2012

I'm looking for printable DQS guidelines. ...

New QC/QA-FIESA Guidelines!
Feb 21, 2014

Has everyone gotten the e-mail about the new QC/QA guidelines with regards to FIESA.  Apparently there are either some brave souls willing to complain to their TSM's and such, or management is actually reading this board (and not just clicking dislike on everything). The one thing I am not really sure of is that they are no longer going to be showing us the QC/QA comments.  Not that I check FIESA anymore anyway (after reading that so many of you don't waste your time and not ...

Where Can I Order Headphones
Dec 30, 2014

Where can I order headphones that are of good quality and will not need a second mortgage to afford?  Thanks ...

OOW Procedure Or Guidelines?
Jan 01, 2015

Where are the guidelines for this, looked on Enrich/employee handbook, can't find it.  TTIA! ...

Having One Of Those Days...DQS Guidelines
Feb 24, 2015

It's only Tuesday and I am ready for my days off.  Can someone please tell me how to get a copy of the DQS guidelines/MModal transcription guide or whatever it is called?  I think I deleted it from my desktop.    Thanks in advance! ...

Will Order _____ Legionella
Jan 15, 2010

Dictator says:  I will order ____ legionella.  It sounds like for-seat-um legionella. ...

Medquist Standards And Guidelines
Mar 10, 2010

Before I appear dumb to supervisor, can somebody tell me where do I find "MedQuist Standards and Guidelines?" ...

Order Of Reference Materials
May 07, 2010

I know I have come across the answer to this question in the past, but can't seem to put my fingers on it now......  1.  CP   2/3.  BOS then Standards OR Standards then BOS?  In reference to the q.h.s. question...  since all 3 references usually appear somewhere on each CP, would not q.h.s.  vs nightly depend on the order of reference materials used?  The vast majority of my CPs have "BOS and Standards" at top and JCAHO at the bottom. ...

Mjnc7 Guidelines Hypertension
Jan 04, 2011

CONTEXT:  "Hypertension – patient is to keep a blood pressure log, which will be reviewed in approximately three weeks.  MJNC7 guidelines will be mailed to the patient as well.  "   Any ideas?  Thank you! :) ...

What Software Do I Need In Order To Get A Few Clients Of My Own?
Jun 20, 2013

I was just wondering if I wanted to acquire a few clients on my own, what type of software do I need besides something like Express Scribe?  Those of you who have your own accounts, what do you use?   Thank you :) ...

How Do I Upgrade In Order To See Swap Board? NM
Apr 09, 2010

No message ...

Transcribe Headings In Order Dictated?
Dec 05, 2010

I see this now at the top of some reports.  Anyone have any idea what this means exactly?  I remember reading about it in the DQS 6.1 update, but my screen looks nothing like that.  I've just been transcribing as usual.  ????  Am I missing something? ...

Why Aren't The Archives In Date Order?
Oct 31, 2011

Looking through archives here for info on a couple of companies, who uses ChartNet and so forth... there is NO order to the way posts are listed.  Why is that?  It should be an easy fix and soooooooooo helpful! ...

Question- Order Of Headings In Consult/H&P
Aug 26, 2012

I have a couple dictators who dictate impression/plan at the beginning of their reports. This comes through in ASR and so I have been leaving these at the beginning of the report even though it is not the way I was taught to do traditional H&P, consultation reports. I am not on a verbatim account. Also, the client profile does not mention this at all. Is it okay to leave the imp/plan at the top of report, or should I change these? ...

Flip Switch In Order To Use 2 Computers
Oct 29, 2012

Just bought Flip USB with audio KVM switch in order to be able to have 1 dedicated computer for work only and the other computer for unrelated work items. Have never used one of these before and just wondering if you were in your work program on 1, if you switch over to the other computer for say checking email, does the work computer shut down? I would hate for that to happen and perhaps lose work. Thanks. ...

Federal Guidelines To Meet For ICs Under HIPAA
Sep 09, 2013

So I passed the BA Agreement, proof of liability insurance and Policies and Procedures with the company, so I may still be able to work as an IC and not an employee, but here is their response: "You must first provide proof that you meet the Federal Guidelines to remain an IC before providing proof of insurance or policies and procedures. You can research this by doing a Google search but these guidelines MUST be met in order to remain an IC." I already also passed the HIPAA training. What e ...

Revised Nuance Transcription Guidelines
Apr 07, 2014

Everyone should be very interested in the just revised (March 24, 2014) Nuance Transcription Guidelines.  First paragraph is quoted below: "This document may answer questions not addressed in individual account specifics and is to be utilized as a secondary reference as desired (italics mine).  Note: These are preferences, not requirements,  and will not impact your quality performance (italics mine).   Whenever possible, the speech draft should not be edited unless t ...

CHA2DS2-VASc - Any Current Guidelines? Sm
Sep 10, 2014

It seems like every doctor dictates this differently (CHADS VASc2 score, CHADS 2 score).  I'm having trouble finding the exact guidelines for this. For example, if the doctor dictates it as CHADS VASc2, should we type the "official" term as CHA2DS2-VASc?    ...

Where Can I Find The Book Of Style/MM Guidelines?
May 12, 2015

x ...

What Do You Get When You Order Instant Text From The Fitaly Site?
Jun 22, 2010

The site talks about how it works and how much it costs, but I don't see whether you get a link to a download or if they send you a copy on CD, and does it come with a hard-copy manual, or just a help file? It's a lot of money to spend, so I'd really like a better idea of what I'll be getting for it. Is their support good? Thanks. ...