A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IT or SOUND CARD causing hard-to-hear dictation? - alphamt

Posted: Oct 20, 2011

Anyone having dictation sound quality problems?  I do not know how to describe it or determine from whence it comes - is it a software issue, a sound card issue, a memory issue.  It most certainly is not a "phone" or "dictator" issue, although they can make it worse.  I hear a tinny wave-like change to voice and pauses, affecting the landmark consonants.  It sounds electrical - I used to call it distortion.  Now it seems to be 1/2 of my day - some are MT, some ME.  Either way it is slow going.  Sometimes I wonder if these are rerecorded digital dictations?  I feel hopeless these days, like attempting to resolve this the business-tier way has not worked, so I throw it out to you.  Maybe I am losing my hearing! The joints are aching more too since VR, having to firmly hit keys that are across the board instead of smooth 10-fingered transcription (Meniere's arthritis?)  I am about through with all these MAN-MADE problems which have become each of our own, and no accountability to stay on top of the issues.   TY for listening!

try different speakers or headphones to - rule out sound card.

[ In Reply To ..]
It may very well be your headphones are going bad. It almost sounds like a poor connection, it could possibly be between the speaker/headphones jack and sound card or jack between speaker and headphones. I'm not sure how you are set up. If you are plugged in through speakers that are then plugged in the sound card, it could also be your speakers. You may also want to try your headphones in a CD player or something similar to see if it still sounds tinny.

addendum - I forgot to note

[ In Reply To ..]
The MQ-issued headphones started giving me issues kind of like you were saying, so I trashed them and got some ear-muff style headphones which were so, so, soooo much better, especially with hard-to-hear dictations.

Anyone else having sound issues? - alphamt

[ In Reply To ..]
Headphones not needing replacement. Thanks for your suggestion. Guess I will have to contact CCM and keep record of jobs.
did you try different headphones in the sound card? - If that does not work
[ In Reply To ..]
probably the sound card or just the sound card drivers themselves got screwy.
I have noticed a distinct extreme Treble (or tinny) sound to dictation - as well, no resonance, and changing volume
[ In Reply To ..]
and I HATE the stupid headphones with the built-in microphone THAT WE DON"T NEED that are issues to us. I guess I am going to look into buying my own headhpones as well because the sound quality sucks so bad. Not to mention the LONG skinny wire cord is constantly twisted..the weight of the volume control pulls down the right side of the headphones. Just horrible equipment.

try this... - Former MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Back when I was in the early stages of my MT career, when the times were still good, an "old" MT taught me this trick. Try plugging your headphones directly into where you would plug in your SPEAKERS. It worked for me.

Similar Messages:

Sound Card
Oct 07, 2010

I have a question about sound cards.  I have taken 3 typing tests and even accepted a position that I had to give up because the sound quality is so bad that I can't understand what they are saying.  Is it possible that it is my sound card that is causing this?  I have a new Dell computer purchased in July of this year.  What is the best sound card to use for transcription?  Appreciate any help from anyone.      ...

Sound Card, Headphones (ear Bud) Questions
Aug 09, 2011

I read the posts down a bit RE: sound cards, headphones, etc.  My head phones are falling apart so in the market again.  Couple things: * I didn't realized added sound cards would block out static, etc.  I know I can't download anything onto work computer, but a rough idea how much the other kind are? * People seem to pretty much agree the earpieces that go into the ear are better for sound; however, I think they are more likely to damage hearing (and age-related deafn ...

World Wide Dictation Wants A Business Card
Apr 30, 2010

Has anyone else been asked by WWD to provide a business card?  And specifically state on their bus. card "independent contractor"?  What's up with that?  Anyone hear if they are in trouble or being investigated?  Hear anything about them going out of biz?  ...

Hear Dictation
Jul 15, 2012

Can someone please tell me how you are able to listen someone's job in order to try and help them?  ...

Express Scribe Channels Box Comes Up And I Cannot Hear Any Dictation
Sep 25, 2013

Help! I am doing a test for a company and when I click on one of the files (they are all wav files) the channels box comes up and I cannot hear any dictation. Can anyone tell me what I need to do. The company says all reports have to be transcribed before they can grade and they want it done within 24 hours! Thanks! ...

Love The Kid Screaming In The Background - They Expect Me To Hear The Dictation?
Jul 29, 2011

x ...

How To Turn Off The Annoying Loud "ding Sound"at End Of Dictation/spell Check.
Nov 22, 2011

I thought there was a way to make that annoying ding sound at the end of the dictation when spell check is complete to sound softer.  I have Windows XP.  I keep looking in the control panel but it does not seem familiar to me as to the way I used to do it.  In some reports if the dictator talks low and then when you reach the end it blasts out my eardrum.  TIA. ...

MRSA S/l Coriko Causing The Pneumonia
Feb 11, 2011

Elderly patient who has MRSA pneumonia except that she doesn't. After listing MRSA in the discharge diagnosis, doc says, "It is unlikely that MRSA was the main s/l coriko causing the pneumonia." Then he says, "At this point, patient will have corondaysation/comondaysation with MRSA." Help, please?? ...

Could Bayscribe Be Causing My Computer To Be Slow Or Freeze Up?
Jun 21, 2015

I run maintenance on my computer weekly and everything is always up to date.  But I've noticed that Bayscribe and IE tend to freeze up or move extremely slow and I'm not sure if it's the program or my computer itself. ...

I Was Getting A Little Worried About The Plates On The Tibia Causing Some S/l Recker Vodum.
Oct 16, 2011

TIA! ...

ADHD - Possible Medication Side Effect Causing Eating Problems?
Oct 06, 2010

I realize some of the ADHD medications can cause weight loss but have never heard of this and not sure - although it's very clear - can someone help? Patient is a 6-year-old white male currently taking Concerta 27 mg daily, methylphenidate 5 mg in the afternoon.  Taking the weekends off for s/l some pensatory eating. Thanks!   ...

Christmas Carol For MT's - :Do You Hear What I Hear?" Nm
Nov 29, 2009

nm ...

"Luncal" Assessment Was Unremarkable Causing ...
Jan 31, 2010

the patient to be more ticklish than pain.  Dictator has a very strong accent, but it sounds like luncal.  Thought pehaps it might be truncal, but I hear the L vey clearly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  ...

Intense "pharitis?" Causing Itching
Apr 10, 2012

Doc dictates "The patient has rather intense (pharitis?) in the calf area that I saw him scratching." Could possibly be "varitis" with a "v" and not a "ph." This is a pretty clear recording and a doctor without an accent, but I am stumped. Any thoughts? ...

Air Card
Jun 04, 2012

Yes, I'm still here....Anyone use an air card for DQS, and if you do, how much memory is needed do you think to work an 8-hour shift?  I think this is a ridiculous question, and that air cards do not work well, but if you know from experience please respond!  Thanks. ...

Transcend Card
Dec 21, 2009

I did get a Card, but no gift card.  Worked for Transcend several years and at first did get a card.  I am sure they have to cut back somewhere; however, I know some who have only worked there a few months and got a gift card and then the ones who have left also got one.  I am happy for all of you who got the gift cards though. ...

Drug S/l Card-i-van 4 Mg
Nov 14, 2010

x ...

No Christmas Card
Dec 23, 2012

I just realized this is the first year with no Christmas card or gift card from our employer since Nuance took over.  After all these changes, I would think we deserved something other than a decrease in pay. ...

Internet Air Card
Jan 27, 2013

I know there is an internet card that you can buy to get you access to the internet on your computer if you are in an area without direct access. Where would I buy one? I am traveling and will be in a hotel that supposedly has internet but what happens if they don't for some reason. So I will be in range of an internet tower, just not access to wifi or a plug in internet connection. Any help would be great. Just wondering where I get one, and if you might know the cost. I only need it ...

I Just Won A $13 Gift Card!
Oct 25, 2013

Yes, its true, my skills are awesome enough to warrant a $13 gift card.  Bow before me peons!  To all those who will take this personally, I'm teasing.   Anyway, there's a catch.  It turns out that this Visa card can only be used at certain places.  Unfortunately, the nearest one of these places is over 50 miles from me, making it worthless as I'd have to spend more money in gas to get there.  I could use it online, but shipping charges will pretty m ...

New Insurance Card Anyone?
Dec 27, 2013

Here we are going into the first of the year and I still do NOT have my "new" insurance card.  Sure hope I don't get  sick the first of  the year becaiuse as it stands now, I won't have proof of insurance January 1st.  Oh yet another fine thing to stress over with this company.  Bet my premium will be taken out, however.  Hoping it arrives Monday or Tuesday.  Maybe the "bad weather" slowed down the process? Thaniks for the vent. ...

Time Card
Mar 28, 2014

hmm, just went to approve my time card and there's  nowhere on there to hit "approve."  Anyone else? ...

Anybody Get Their New Insurance Card Yet?
Jan 02, 2015

Assuming holiday held up the arrival.  Will wait till middle of month and then inquire.  Hoping I don't get sick between now and then. ...

Thank You, TransTech For The Christmas Card And
Dec 25, 2009

nm ...

Not Approving Time Card
Sep 01, 2010

I am so upset I could just spit fire.  Does anyone know what would happen if you do not 'approve' your timecard?  I am sick and tired of being available whenever this company needs help, but when I needed a new computer from the company and had to wait 9 days to get one and only get paid for 3 due to their 'policy' of only paying for 3 days of downtime I'm ready to scream.  (yes, there was a problem getting this sent out to me, one which I still do n ...

Downtime/time Card
Sep 29, 2010

It has been so long that I have had downtime, can anyone tell me how it should be applied to the time card?  I am just looking over my timecard and it just hit me that possibly it may not be right how it is entered into my time card.  My ccm just entered  my regular hours that I usually work for that day but in reality I did not.   The way I am interpretating it, my time card shows that I worked because of the hours entered by CCM, but yet I have no produc ...

Alert For Time Card
Jan 08, 2011

Please, can you tell me how to put an alert on my time card?  I had to clock out early today and my CCM said put an alert on the time card.  I dont know what to do, have never did this before.  I went to my time card and do not see anywhere where I can put an alert.  Any help is truly appreciated.  Thank you. ...

Time Card Problems
Jan 11, 2011

Please tell me that I am not the only one that has problems with their time card!!  I am a TT MT, and it seems like something always goes wrong and I end up tearing my hair out trying to get it right.  ...

Time Card Edits
Jun 07, 2011

are we supposed to be making our own edits now on timecards?  I cannot find anywhere on the timecard that gives me access to do this.  In the dark here.  TIA ...

Transcend Gift Card!
Dec 17, 2011

I received a beautiful Christmas card in the mail and inside was a VISA card from Transcend wishing me a Merry Christmas and the card even says "thank you" on it!  I wasn't expecting that.  I've only been with them a little over a month!  I'm even more impressed with them now.  I got a calendar last year from my previous employer.  That was nice, but this is even better.  Did anyone else receive one? I sure hope so!  yay! ...