A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can you be forced to change your schedule? - mt

Posted: Sep 20, 2012

I signed what I assumed was a contract when I was hired and my hours were part of that contract.   Can they make you change your hours? 

No. As stated, you have a contract. Keep explaining that prior commitments - keep you from changing. Then Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
wait and see what happens. I am bettin' nothing will happen. My CCM tried this with me. I refused and then waited to see what would happen. Nothing. Not another word about it. I explained to her that family and prior commitments prevented me from changing my schedule, those hours I chose for a reason.

If by chance you have the MM Nazi, and you get locked out, then you have to decide do you fold, get hold of her and agree to change? But like other posts, MM is calling prior MTs to come back, they will not get rid of anyone who is willing to log on and work.

Well, maybe if they kidnapped your kid or tied you up in a closet til - you agreed to change. But otherwise, no.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

If I have a contract, I don't know where it is. - do you?

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been wondering about that.

Mine is in folder marked: MM ( I cannot beleive I have a folder - with this on it) It is in my file cabinet. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

The *I cannot beleive.....* is actually written on the folder. - I was in shock after a buy out. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
oh good! what does it say? - does it specify your hours nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Without looking at it, it does say I am PT. But I have email to - CCM, few months after starting, SM
[ In Reply To ..]
stating what my schedule will be, days and hours. I figure that modified any hours that might have been in my contract at beginning. Then I have my actual schedule, my timesheets, verifying my schedule noted in that email. I had changed schedule at that time because CCM said she need coverage for those hours and I wanted to change. By negotiating we agreed on my current scheduled hours.

After that, when she tried to bully me into changing again, I explained I had my schedule as it was for a reason and due to prior commitments I could not change. I asked point blank if I could be fired for not changing and she would not/could not say I would. So I just waited. Still waiting, never heard another word.

Wouldnt your timesheet history be proof of an MM approved - schedule? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
s

CCM is calling your bluff. Call hers. Politely say you cannot change at - this time and wait. Ball in her court. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Is there work during your shift? Do you have to get MUP? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

yes - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
yes, there is work during my shift. Occasionally i will run into NJA, but very seldom, and work builds up within a couple hours.

I explained I have this shift for a reason and changing it would be a hardship. I have already previously moved my shift around to accomodate, but i just cant do any more. Will wait and see. Hoping for the best.

is there a shift differential? - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't remember, does MM pay a shift differential?

Sometimes it is not worth switching for the extra 1/2 cpl. But dont - know if they have diff or not. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Shift differential starts at 9pm and ends at 6am - I know because I get it when

[ In Reply To ..]
I do extra hours. I usually will punch in for about an hour or two either early in the morning at like 4am to 6am or 9pm to 11pm to do my OT and it shows up in Ultipro when you view your pay detail how much you made in shift differential.

I cant say off the top of my head what it is though without going back and looking at it in Ultipro, but they do have it from 9pm to 6am.

No but they can guilt you into it - broken promises

[ In Reply To ..]
5 CCMs ago we were all guilted into shifting our schedules and either picking up weekend hours or overnight hours. Plus we got the sob story of patient care compromise blah blah and if everyone just shifted a few hours it would help and she wouldn't have to hire new MTs to fill the hours.

Worst thing I ever did. Because she hired new MTs anyway, we lost the account and I got switched to a new CCM with my new schedule. When I tried to get my original schedule back I was told no.

Don't do it. The CCM is only looking at her bonus.

Letting someone guilt you into anything is a personal issue. - I hope you now know you stand up for you. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I agree but it goes beyond guilt - broken promises

[ In Reply To ..]
When the CCM tried the guilt trip regarding patient care and not enough people switched hours she threatened our jobs. She told us it was mandatory we needed to switch our hours or she would switch them for us. We also had a conference call with her boss stating that if we did not switch our hours we would probably be off the account and she didn't know when or if we would be put on a new account. I was too young and stupid and afraid of losing my job so I switched my hours.

I tried to go to HR but HR was on the CCMs side and in fact I got written up for being insubordinate. Then we ended up losing the account anyway and soon after the CCM got fired.

So now when I see the word mandatory in an email it makes me cringe. Mmmodal does its best to tiptoe the line of legal/illegal and bully and threaten the very people they need to be working. Since when is OT mandatory?

While I fully agree you need to stand up for yourself, Mmodal does its very best impression of a verbally abusive husband making you feel worthless and alone and not a team player. They will keep threatening and demanding until you figure out they are the bully and finally say no. Fire me then.

So now I just delete those mandatory emails and if asked say I never got them. Works every time.

When I turned 50, I decided I was old enough not to take - cr@p from any. Try it, it works. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Nuance Taking Over And I Was Forced To Change My Schedule
Sep 22, 2012

So, I used to work Monday through Friday, which is what I was hired for.  Fast forward to Nuance taking over and I was forced to change my schedule to include a weekend day, and this is the 4th weekend in a row, there is no work. Makes sense, huh? ...

Asking For Schedule Change
Mar 14, 2011

I have just started working for Medquist two weeks ago..I am struggling with working a noon to 6 shift Sun-Thurs..I used to work M-F 5 am to 11 am with my other company until they closed down.  I am considered part-time (min of 24 hrs) but I work 30.  Do you think they will be p...ed if I were to ask for a day off in the middle?  I am already always asking for a couple hours off here and there for PT and and doctor's appts for my children.  ...

Change Schedule
Aug 12, 2013

If your "boss" makes a suggestion that since you run out of work a lot and suggests maybe you need to move to a different shift but OBVIOUSLY that won't make a difference what is their next step?  I've always made way over their line requirements and audit requirements.  There just doesn't happen to be any work lately during my shift, or at least not much. ...

How Can I Get Her To Give Me A Schedule Change?
Mar 25, 2012

I just feel like the process is not moving fast enough and I asked for this schedule change almost a month ago. She sent over the paperwork and hasn't said anything else since. Not even when I sent an email asking her if she's considered me. There is no communication whatsoever. I don't understand it. Is there a way I can get her to reply to me without having to press her every week to see if she's approved my new schedule? ...

I Finally Got The Change Your Schedule -sm
Jan 28, 2013

or get moved to another BOB/TSM email.  Im so mad right now.  Why all of the sudden is there no work for my shift?  She needs someone from 4p to 1a? Seriously?  Today for the first time is 2 weeks I have plenty of work for my entire shift, on my main, regular, familiar accounts. UGH!!!! Just a little venting to those who feel me as my husband is tired of hearing it! LOL! ...

Schedule Change = More Work
Mar 20, 2013

It has been the two weeks since the supervisor said that work flow would change with reorganization of people/accounts.  Still waiting.  Up at 4:00 a.m. and 3 jobs since 5:00 a.m.  Where is the more work promised two weeks ago??  Did not believe it then so not surprised it did not amount to anything.  Supervisior says that there is low work in the early morning hours.  I have worked this shift for years and there has always been work in the early morning before ...

Being Pushed To Change Schedule. Anyone Hear Of This?
May 07, 2013

If I deny 2 times to be transferred to a different group/different schedule, then they take that as a resignation.  Fancy way of firing you without firing you?  I have a life with a young family, I cannot work whenever they want me to.  Oohh, frustrated. ...

Anyone With A Recent Schedule Change Have Plans To -sm
Oct 27, 2014

try to get your old schedule back?  My change was "forced" on me and I was wondering with the new grouping and such, if I should try to get my schedule back.  It was kind of a bizzare change in that I already worked one weekend day and was told I needed to work the other weekend day instead, so now I dont even have 2 days off in a row...that could be remedied I am told, but switching my other day offf....that was optional and for now I said no. ...

POD Mistress Requests Schedule Change
Dec 29, 2014

Woke up this a.m. to an *URGENT* message from the POD Mistress telling our POD that we need to look at our schedules and make changes to suit her needs.  Then, ironic as it is, she lists the accounts that have gaps in them and specific times for those specific accounts.  Is she guaranteeing work on those accounts at those times?!  Haha!  I was born at night...but it wasn't last night!  Nice, try PODM!!  We are in a POD.  I would love to get my regular acco ...

New To The Q- E-mailed CCM Northern Region About Needing To Change Schedule
Jan 05, 2010

if you want to change your hours, not the days. ...

CCM Cutting Helper Pools So People Will Change Schedule
Sep 15, 2011

So had work for 2 days out of the week with no problems and then all of a sudden an email appears that help is needed for the weekend and also wanting people to change their schedules to the weekend.  All of a sudden, no jobs available appear.  Apparently, work is just cut off until people start volunteering to change their schedule or volunteering to cover hours on the weekend and when some poor schmoe changes their schedule or volunteers, all of a sudden we have work again.  Tot ...

I Am So Sick And Tired Of Adjusting My Schedule To Their Maintenance Schedule!
Jan 13, 2011

I work on Saturday second shift on the west coast, so their Sunday EST maintenance period falls at 9 pm on Saturday night here. I've got other things to do on Saturday day than start work several hours early every single every other weekend. I've got a social life too. ...

Forced To Use PTO?
Jun 04, 2015

Can anyone tell me where the employee handbook is now located since they shut down Enrich? If anyone has a copy can you tell me or copy me the part about taking time off sick with a doctor note??? I was out last week due to being in the hospital. I had to run and get a dr note for them from the hospital, well send someone, and have it faxed pronto. I was excused for 3 days work, which I only work part time anyhow. I now get told they are forcing me to use PTO hours for those 3 days, which is 16 ...

I Think The MTSOs Should Be Forced To Pay - Sm
Feb 18, 2012

for all MTs it has forced into poverty or joblessness because of offshoring, VR, and crummy wages to be able to return to school or job retraining FREE OF CHARGE, so we can remain gainfully employed. Most of us who've been in this biz for longer than 4 or 5 years have no hope of being able to afford to go to school.  And those of us who've been MTs longer than 20 years need help and advocacy when it comes to job placement, because currently I seriously doubt many companies would h ...

I Just Do Not Understand How We Can Be Forced To Use PTO For NJA
Dec 02, 2013

How is this even legal? ...

FORCED To Abandon A Job...this Is Pathetic!!
Mar 17, 2010

I was just forced to abandon a job to save my pay. I've only been in my shift for 1 hour and have gotten the same horrible dictator for every report and have to send them all to QA!!!! I just went into my 4th report and SURPRISE it was the same dictator....This isn't fair!!!!! ...

Transcend/MDI Employee Forced Out
Jan 18, 2011

The story is I worked on same account for 4 years under MDI with no complaints about my work, always went above and beyond.  I was at top of pay scale.  Then, Transcend took over a year ago and has been hiring a lot of new employees, probably at a lot lower line rate with the industry the way it is, and now I had a "random" audit done of my work and said I failed and must go thru probation.  I said "no" to probation because upon my review, I found it was not random repor ...

Forced To Downsize--into The Backseat Of My Car?
Jul 02, 2013

Anybody else facing homelessness thanks to Nuance?  This is a serious inquiry, no snark. I'd like to network with others about what it might be like to be homeless because of your employment in this company.     ...

Since Mmodal Has Forced Us To Be As Efficient As Possible
Nov 12, 2013

I'm wondering what method do you use in DQS to get the best line count for Mmodal?  Do you mostly use the mouse/keyboard combo? Do you use the (annoying/ineffective/slow) feature that is supposed to jump the cursor to line up with the audio position where the editing needs to be done? Do you keep your right hand on the arrow keys and left hand on ctrl/alt/shift keys, moving the cursor past each word (likely the most efficient method, but moving your fingers near constant can lea ...

Anyone Who Was Fired, Quit, Or Forced To Resign
Jun 17, 2011

Did you apply for unemployment, did you get it, did you have to appeal?  I have never lived off the system and figured I payed into it for my entire adult life, and have reached a point where I need financial assistance.  I was asked to resign due to being unable to work due to physical inabilty on my part and am stuck, so I applied for it.  Just looking for some good news from other MQ employees. ...

Move Hours To Nights And Weekends Or I Will Be Forced
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't that a kicker?   WHERE IS MY WORK?????   Does anyone know how to manage a workload?  My CCM obviously needs help!  Six months ago, it was "We need Monday hours... move them or else." Four months ago, it was "We need Friday hours... move them or else." Three months ago, it was "We need Saturday evening hours... move them or else." One month ago, it was "I have no Sunday coverage... move hours or else." This month it is "We do not need Monday hours, move ...

Electronic Medical Records Will Be Forced Onto Doctors
Aug 03, 2012

The family practice I go to is using this. The doctor asks questions and constantly inputs into his PC tablet as we speak. Its not looking good for the MT field. Anyone else worried? I worked on a project transferring hospital charts from Legacy to Epic. Once they were done with using us for that project, we were let go with no notice. Just thinking my time is running out and I need to get to medical coding school fast! Then I am worried will medical coding too be forced onto the doctors ...

Independent Contractor Forced To Work Holidays
Nov 06, 2012

As an independent contractor, can the company I am doing work legally make me work holidays? ...

Why Bad EMRs Are Forced On Physicians By Edwin Leap, MD
Aug 11, 2014

from KevinMD website "I recently did a tally.  Since starting my locums adventure last year, and going to full-time locums in January, I’ve worked in a grand total of 11 emergency departments.  Let me qualify that for the occasional visitor to my blog.  I decided to do this for purposes of flexibility, finances and a much needed change of scenery.  Not because I’m a problem physician, or unable to do the work in a “real” job.  I say that to ...

If We Are Forced To Quit For NJA, Do We Have A Case For "constructive Discharge"?
Aug 06, 2010

This is a followup to the issue of "constructive discharge" that was brought up in a thread on this board back on August 3.  The original poster stated, and I agree after googling and checking out several sites on the topic, that an employee can claim "constructive discharge" if forced to quit because (loosely quoted from more than one site) "...the employer has made working conditions intolerable.  Issues can include...... reduction in ........workload for reasons that are not tied to ...

Is It Schedule II Narcotics Or Schedule 2 Narcotics? See It Both Ways...
Sep 19, 2014

Work Has Dropped Off So Bad Now That I Am Forced To Look For Work Again
Feb 14, 2013

Really upset right now - work has dropped off so bad now that I am forced to look for work again.  I am upset because there was work on the system and a few of us were asked to stop so that the people that have been there the longest have a chance at work.  I dont think this is very fair as I have bills also to pay and surely cannot like this.  I thought it was first come first serve.  Am I so wrong?  ...

QA Schedule?
Aug 30, 2010

Hi all ~ I am curious how frequently QA is performed at your hospital.  We had been on a 2-reports-reviewed-quarterly schedule, but it seems QA is being pushed further and further onto the back burner because we've been so busy.  My boss would like for me to get a feel for what others are doing out there.  I've worked at some hospitals that didn't do QA, ever, so I didn't have anything I could tell her.   ...

What Did They Do To Our Pay Schedule?
Nov 29, 2010

What did they do to our pay schedule?  If I am reading this correctly, we will have a pay period from December 16 to Dec 25 and then it kicks in on a totally different schedule?  Any info would be helpful since I am fairly new at MQ.  Thanks. ...

M-F Schedule
Jan 12, 2013

Does anyone with Nuance have this schedule?   TIA ...