A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I just do not understand how we can be forced to use PTO for NJA - SBH

Posted: Dec 02, 2013

How is this even legal?

It probably isn't ... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
This company has a long, long lonnnng history of skirting legality so my guess is that it's not legal but they get away with it because no one speaks up. They will get away with exactly what we allow them to.

Whenever I ask myself "can they do this?" about MM I always think about other industries. For instance, think about the fast food industry. Would McDonald's require their employees to take a day away from their vacation pay if the restaurant had a slow day? Never. Not even MCDONALD'S gets away with what MModal does.

PTO for NJA - Acquisitions

[ In Reply To ..]
I asked my manager about this because I ran out of work Friday night. This was her reply...

"You are not stuck using your PTO. You have the option of entering a leave request for excused absence. Granted that is time without pay, but it accounts for your hours on your timesheet"

Hope this helps everyone else concerned about this. This might be to eliminate people from trying to get partial unemployment - but at least you don't have to use your PTO

I have worked fast food and retail. Slow days you are sent home - no pay. would much rather do it the M2 way

[ In Reply To ..]
at least here I can do something productive while I am waiting for work. M2 cannot control when doctors dictate.

Unless your retail/fast food job was Off The Books or something similar, I strongly doubt this would - SamMT

[ In Reply To ..]
The same with MTSOs hiring employee status MTs: You are, by virtue of having been given a SPECIFIC SCHEDULE to work I doubt strongly they could just turn around and jiggle your schedule; you are "Engaged to Work" -- meaning you are ready, willing & able to work in the prescribed time schedule you are given.

No doubt they have found a hundred legal loopholes around the "PTO for NJA" issue. As an alternative to taking PTO, it would only be fair, at the very least, to be able to make up the lines/hours AT THE CONVENIENCE OF THE MT, to be truly fair. In what other profession/work situation is an employee FORCED to forfeit his/her very hard-earned sick time, vacations with family... where else?

It isn't legal - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
And I never did it,,and they best not add it to my timesheet without my permission.

In case you haven't noticed - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This company preys on people's fear and ignorance of what is right and wrong. They will "get away" with what they can and won't challenge you if you stand your ground.

True dat! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
They're in an especially controlling position because we all work by ourselves from home, with no contact from others in the industry except through a board like this. We have no one to stand with us because we don't know if someone who says yes on a board such as this or in an email is going to go through with it, and we end up just putting our heads down and taking it. They know they position they have us in, and they're certainly using it to their advantage. Disgusting.

Has anyone continued to use time off w/o pay instead - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
of PTO for NJA? I would like to know.

Of all the things this company has done to us, this one upsets me the most. We are supposed to be able to take vacation as rest and relaxation, not use it up for no work.

If we supposedly get 13 days of time off w/o pay at the discretion of our supervisor, why not use that FIRST for NJA before using PTO. Otherwise what is the point of it. Never even knew we had it until they decided to make us take PTO for NJA. Hate it.

DO NOT USE PTO for NJA!!! unless you want to. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
We were given 13 days to use for NJA. Use this first. DO NOT use your PTO unless you want to. This is YOUR decision, NOT your TSMs decision. DO NOT LET THEM MAKE YOU USE YOUR PTO!!!!!

I swear to you I don't take PTO for NJA - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
All I can say is trust me? My argument was, I have things planned that I am going to need leave for so either I take it when I planned on it, or I use it now...Either way I am going to go through with my plans so one or the other is going to be without pay. Besides the fact that because you cannot provide me work on my regularly scheduled shift that you hired me for, and then forcing me to take leave or even telling me when I can make it up, is illegal as hell. To me they should have to pay you for your down time, but that is a whole other argument. Fair Labor Standard Act
I believe I read on here once that since we are at-home - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
employees they don't have to pay us for downtime. If we worked in-house they would have to pay us for downtime. I'm not sure this is right but I believe I read this on this site a short while ago. HTH
downtime meaning NJA...sorry. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
that may be true. I would have to really check - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I would make the argument, that when you MADE me switch to a time clock and took away my flex status that I was originally hired for, that is forfeited, but like I say need to check further. I would go back to flex status any day in the week. I don't use bennies, I don't see why they care
Depends on what state you are in. I get four hours of NJa for my state - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
They also pay you for downtime at your benefit rate.
I DO NOT WANT TO BE PAID FOR NJA, what I want - L&L
[ In Reply To ..]
is to take time off w/o pay for NJA INSTEAD of using my PTO and actually use my PTO for a real vacation. I can live w/o the money. I mostly need health insurance for 3 more years until I can get Medicare.

I have - never

[ In Reply To ..]
used PTO for NJA. I use PT time when I want time off. I also don't play games with them for that. I let them know what day I will be off and if they don't approve it, tough. Unless I'm sick, I give plenty of notice so I'm not begging for it.

It is legal. I researched it. - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
Studying paralegal :)

Abuse an employee long enough and get angry enough, you (I) start researching the laws hoping for a case. Unfortunately, no luck so far.

I can't wait until I finish school and am out of here!!!

it's not legal - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and if you think it is, please supply the resource so others can review the law. Labor law is quite involved; I appreciate that you're studying to be a paralegal, but without showing us your research, I remain unconvinced.

PTO for NJA - gltrgrami

[ In Reply To ..]
You DO NOT have to take PTO when there is no work. You need to take PTO NONSCHEDULED in Teamwork. I asked my TSM (or whatever they are called these days) back in October and she told me to take PTO NONSCHEDULED in Teamwork. Don't let them tell you you can't. I called her on it. I told her this is ridiculous, I should not have to take PTO because MModal is out of work (exact words). That is what she told me to do. They will try to screw you anyway they can.

Umm - if you

[ In Reply To ..]
are taking pto nonscheduled, you are taking pto. You would take excused absence no work in team work. You are right in that they will try to screw you anyway they can and it looks like they did if you are using pto nonscheduled.

Sounds like your TSM pulled a fast one on you. You - still used your PTO.

[ In Reply To ..]
x
I - think
[ In Reply To ..]
you meant to post this to the post above me because that is what I was telling her. You should use excused absence, no work, not unscheduled PTO.
PTO time - gltrgrammi
[ In Reply To ..]
Nope! I checked. I still have all my PTO intact. I have been doing it since October and have all my PTO intact.

PTO nonscheduled - gltrgrammi

[ In Reply To ..]
All I know is it is not coming off of my PTO. I checked. I'm just fine. I still have all my vacation time intact.

Similar Messages:

Forced To Use PTO?
Jun 04, 2015

Can anyone tell me where the employee handbook is now located since they shut down Enrich? If anyone has a copy can you tell me or copy me the part about taking time off sick with a doctor note??? I was out last week due to being in the hospital. I had to run and get a dr note for them from the hospital, well send someone, and have it faxed pronto. I was excused for 3 days work, which I only work part time anyhow. I now get told they are forcing me to use PTO hours for those 3 days, which is 16 ...

I Think The MTSOs Should Be Forced To Pay - Sm
Feb 18, 2012

for all MTs it has forced into poverty or joblessness because of offshoring, VR, and crummy wages to be able to return to school or job retraining FREE OF CHARGE, so we can remain gainfully employed. Most of us who've been in this biz for longer than 4 or 5 years have no hope of being able to afford to go to school.  And those of us who've been MTs longer than 20 years need help and advocacy when it comes to job placement, because currently I seriously doubt many companies would h ...

FORCED To Abandon A Job...this Is Pathetic!!
Mar 17, 2010

I was just forced to abandon a job to save my pay. I've only been in my shift for 1 hour and have gotten the same horrible dictator for every report and have to send them all to QA!!!! I just went into my 4th report and SURPRISE it was the same dictator....This isn't fair!!!!! ...

Transcend/MDI Employee Forced Out
Jan 18, 2011

The story is I worked on same account for 4 years under MDI with no complaints about my work, always went above and beyond.  I was at top of pay scale.  Then, Transcend took over a year ago and has been hiring a lot of new employees, probably at a lot lower line rate with the industry the way it is, and now I had a "random" audit done of my work and said I failed and must go thru probation.  I said "no" to probation because upon my review, I found it was not random repor ...

Can You Be Forced To Change Your Schedule?
Sep 20, 2012

I signed what I assumed was a contract when I was hired and my hours were part of that contract.   Can they make you change your hours?  ...

Forced To Downsize--into The Backseat Of My Car?
Jul 02, 2013

Anybody else facing homelessness thanks to Nuance?  This is a serious inquiry, no snark. I'd like to network with others about what it might be like to be homeless because of your employment in this company.     ...

Since Mmodal Has Forced Us To Be As Efficient As Possible
Nov 12, 2013

I'm wondering what method do you use in DQS to get the best line count for Mmodal?  Do you mostly use the mouse/keyboard combo? Do you use the (annoying/ineffective/slow) feature that is supposed to jump the cursor to line up with the audio position where the editing needs to be done? Do you keep your right hand on the arrow keys and left hand on ctrl/alt/shift keys, moving the cursor past each word (likely the most efficient method, but moving your fingers near constant can lea ...

Anyone Who Was Fired, Quit, Or Forced To Resign
Jun 17, 2011

Did you apply for unemployment, did you get it, did you have to appeal?  I have never lived off the system and figured I payed into it for my entire adult life, and have reached a point where I need financial assistance.  I was asked to resign due to being unable to work due to physical inabilty on my part and am stuck, so I applied for it.  Just looking for some good news from other MQ employees. ...

Move Hours To Nights And Weekends Or I Will Be Forced
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't that a kicker?   WHERE IS MY WORK?????   Does anyone know how to manage a workload?  My CCM obviously needs help!  Six months ago, it was "We need Monday hours... move them or else." Four months ago, it was "We need Friday hours... move them or else." Three months ago, it was "We need Saturday evening hours... move them or else." One month ago, it was "I have no Sunday coverage... move hours or else." This month it is "We do not need Monday hours, move ...

Electronic Medical Records Will Be Forced Onto Doctors
Aug 03, 2012

The family practice I go to is using this. The doctor asks questions and constantly inputs into his PC tablet as we speak. Its not looking good for the MT field. Anyone else worried? I worked on a project transferring hospital charts from Legacy to Epic. Once they were done with using us for that project, we were let go with no notice. Just thinking my time is running out and I need to get to medical coding school fast! Then I am worried will medical coding too be forced onto the doctors ...

Nuance Taking Over And I Was Forced To Change My Schedule
Sep 22, 2012

So, I used to work Monday through Friday, which is what I was hired for.  Fast forward to Nuance taking over and I was forced to change my schedule to include a weekend day, and this is the 4th weekend in a row, there is no work. Makes sense, huh? ...

Independent Contractor Forced To Work Holidays
Nov 06, 2012

As an independent contractor, can the company I am doing work legally make me work holidays? ...

Why Bad EMRs Are Forced On Physicians By Edwin Leap, MD
Aug 11, 2014

from KevinMD website "I recently did a tally.  Since starting my locums adventure last year, and going to full-time locums in January, I’ve worked in a grand total of 11 emergency departments.  Let me qualify that for the occasional visitor to my blog.  I decided to do this for purposes of flexibility, finances and a much needed change of scenery.  Not because I’m a problem physician, or unable to do the work in a “real” job.  I say that to ...

I Do Not Understand
Nov 16, 2009

She had a bright or right tube placed endengia? I can't figure it out. ...

I Understand What You're Saying, But......
Dec 29, 2009

What you say is true, BUT when 90% of your work is off-shored except for 10% and you barely have any work, and the work you have is 100% ESL (the absolute worst dictators ever) you make minimum wage.  The fact that I'm a much better MT than the ILPs does nothing to comfort me at this point when I have bills to pay. If you don't believe this scenario, then you have not experienced it.  Try being in SA3.  BTW, I'm scheduled for 24 hours per we ...

Okay, Please Help Me To Understand....
Sep 15, 2010

Everyone says with VR you can double your line count. I want to know what was their line count typing? On my account, I can type anywhere from 250 to 300 lines in an hour. I've been doing VR now for almost 2 months. I'm editing around 300 lines in an hour, however, I'm being paid 50% less. I was told I would not have to work MORE hours to make the same, but would work the SAME hours and make more. I have an extensive autocorrect and use it a lot. I'm finding that many of the ...

Cannot Understand This
Oct 09, 2010

this is what it sounds like but makes no sense to me. can any one help. "Some low muffler quantative abdominal tenderness to deep palpation." ...

I Don't Understand
Dec 01, 2011

An 84 year old monitored for diagnoses of renal failure, anemia and hypertension. 586, 285.9, 403.90. It seems to me that the last code should be 401.90. I don't understand why the code 403.9 was selected.  The guidelines say you should "assign codes from category 403, hypertensive chronic kidney disease, when conditions classified to category 585 are present." There is only the 586, renal disease, present in this scenario. Can anybody tell me why a 403 code is appropriate here? ...

Let Me Understand This
Apr 14, 2012

So Amy will have four (4) one-on-One sessions each month.  But she will be going on maternity LOA (Leave of Absence) and will actually conduct six (6) sessions this month. Rules: Each month, if any of the US regional or India winners of  the 'MT of the Month' are  interested in a one-on-one session, they will be entered into a lottery and two will be chosen (one US, one India) for an automatic slot for that month.   To express interest for th ...

I Really Don't Understand Why
May 30, 2012

so many people on here have been looking for a position for months. It's not THAT difficult to find a job on here. I applied to a lot of places and heard back from just about all of them. What are you doing wrong that you can't find one when I found at least 10 of them? Perhaps you should all revamp your resumes?   ...

Can't Understand PA
Sep 15, 2012

Patient with trigger fingers. Patient was given injections into the A1 pulley of the 3rd digit - "Patient tolerated the injection well and without complaint. Following the injection, he did verbalize some relief of the discomfort. I went on to explain to the patient that this was merely a procedure done to try to *"mil-u-right"* some of the symptoms, however, I strongly recommended that he consider undergoing a redo right 3rd trigger finger release".   ...

Something I Just Do Not Understand
Apr 09, 2013

You know, I have worked in a health care facility ever since I graduated from college.   My supervisors have always tried to foster a spirit of teamwork -- how we all, working together, can accomplish the goals set out for us.  As a result, I believe in building people up, not tearing them down.  And I have seen such GREAT examples of that here.  When I first posted on this board, I was so upset about a job decision I had made that I was ready to quit, and with the ...

Don't Understand
Jul 07, 2014

We've been told emphatically to NOT put m2 for meters squared, to instead put sq. m., yet the software continues to put m2.  Why hasn't that been changed?  ...

Help Me Understand
Jan 18, 2015

First, let me start by saying I've worked as an MT for 25 years.  The company I started with was eaten up my Medquist years ago, now MModal, and I've worked at home for the past 20 years. I've lately seen many posts by MTs wishing they were paid 15 minutes a day for reading emails, paid for taking coffee breaks, and would get cost of living raises, Christmas gifts from their employer, flowers on their birthday, and some sort of gift acknowledgement during MT week.  I u ...

You Understand Dr. So And So
Feb 09, 2015

That you tend to use the instruments that you prefer, another doctor uses a different set, and there are a several different ones that can be used for the same purpose. I don't only type for you, I type for about 100 different docs at this point. Please enunciate, it would make my job so much easier and your final product perfect. ...

If We Are Forced To Quit For NJA, Do We Have A Case For "constructive Discharge"?
Aug 06, 2010

This is a followup to the issue of "constructive discharge" that was brought up in a thread on this board back on August 3.  The original poster stated, and I agree after googling and checking out several sites on the topic, that an employee can claim "constructive discharge" if forced to quit because (loosely quoted from more than one site) "...the employer has made working conditions intolerable.  Issues can include...... reduction in ........workload for reasons that are not tied to ...

What I Don't Understand About Locking Out
Mar 05, 2010

According to the suits, they whole reason for this locking-us-out-unless-we-are-scheduled thing was because some of us were not working when we were supposed to or clocking in and working when we weren't scheduled.  Okay, at any other job, if someone clocked in or out when they were not supposed to without notifying anyone, they would get written up 3 times and then fired.  Why do they spend so much time and resources putting this stupid, probably messy idea into play, when they ...

Meds I Can't Understand...
Apr 18, 2010

First off, is "med" an appropriate abbreviation or if I need to expand it.  Also, I'm having trouble with a few of the medications she's listing.  The first one sounds like Serapril...I know there's Seroquel, and that's a possibility, but it really sounds like she's saying, "pril." Is there anything else that sounds like that? The next one s/l permecidene and the last one s/l kolite. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much! ...

I Can't Understand What The Dictator Is Saying
Apr 20, 2010

What do you do when you absolutely cannot understand what the dictator is saying and you work at home on your own.  Can you call the dictator?  Can you request to review the other medical records because chances are, the dictator is saying the same thing that appear on those records? ...

What Do You Do When You Can't Hear Or Understand?
Nov 17, 2010

For the first time in a long time, I was in the cesspool.  I spent 3 hours with an ESL serial dictator, that was speaking so softly I couldn't hear most of what he was saying, and what I could hear I couldn't understand.  In one of the reports I only got 5 random words after spending a half-hour on it - and it was only 20 seconds long.  What should we do in cases like this - when you literally just Can't Get It, and not for lack of trying.   ...