A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

If we are forced to quit for NJA, do we have a case for "constructive discharge"? - another anon

Posted: Aug 06, 2010

This is a followup to the issue of "constructive discharge" that was brought up in a thread on this board back on August 3.  The original poster stated, and I agree after googling and checking out several sites on the topic, that an employee can claim "constructive discharge" if forced to quit because (loosely quoted from more than one site) "...the employer has made working conditions intolerable.  Issues can include...... reduction in ........workload for reasons that are not tied to job performance." 

There was an excellent response from a poster nicknamed "Former HR Director" going into more detail on the topic.  That initial response stated, if I understand it correctly, that the intolerable conditions must lead the employee to quit immediately in order to claim constructive discharge.  IE, an MT can't put up with something for weeks or months before deciding it is intolerable, quitting, and trying to claim constructive discharge only then. 

I am hoping that "HR Director" poster, or anyone with similar relevant experience, can speculate on whether quitting after, say, a week of NJA with adverse paycheck effects, would be grounds for a constructive discharge claim?  If so, how would one file it, and would could the plaintiff hope to recover?  Would it have to be a class action suit?  Seems there's sort of a Catch-22 in there:  The employee must quit immediately upon the onset of the intolerable conditions and then file, yet the monetary damage done by NJA (loss of pay and benefits) wouldn't amount to much until weeks or months of the same conditions. 

It still seems there should be SOME legal recourse to the untenable situation of having employee status, yet having no work, no pay, and no UE-eligible layoff.  Anyone have any constructive thoughts?  (And PLEASE, not the old saw "they're-just-trying-to-get-us-to-quit." That's a given.  What, if anything, can those employees adversely affected by continuous NJA do about it?)

I find it interesting that no one has answered - This must be a touchy subject - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

Similar Messages:

"Constructive Discharge"
Jul 19, 2011

Did a google on being unpleasant working conditions and being forced to quit. It's called "Constructive Discharge."  Didn't have time to read thoroughly, but here's part of what I read: “Constructive Discharge” is a legal term meaning that you actually quit your job, but if you meet certain standards then the legal system might treat your resignation as if you were actually fired without good cause. Being fired without good cause is an Adverse Employment Action r ...

Anyone Who Was Fired, Quit, Or Forced To Resign
Jun 17, 2011

Did you apply for unemployment, did you get it, did you have to appeal?  I have never lived off the system and figured I payed into it for my entire adult life, and have reached a point where I need financial assistance.  I was asked to resign due to being unable to work due to physical inabilty on my part and am stuck, so I applied for it.  Just looking for some good news from other MQ employees. ...

Postdischarge, Post-discharge, Or Post Discharge?
Nov 14, 2011

Which one do you guys use?  I find it all 3 ways on the net, with no clear indication as to what's correct.  Thx.   ...

Forced To Use PTO?
Jun 04, 2015

Can anyone tell me where the employee handbook is now located since they shut down Enrich? If anyone has a copy can you tell me or copy me the part about taking time off sick with a doctor note??? I was out last week due to being in the hospital. I had to run and get a dr note for them from the hospital, well send someone, and have it faxed pronto. I was excused for 3 days work, which I only work part time anyhow. I now get told they are forcing me to use PTO hours for those 3 days, which is 16 ...

I Think The MTSOs Should Be Forced To Pay - Sm
Feb 18, 2012

for all MTs it has forced into poverty or joblessness because of offshoring, VR, and crummy wages to be able to return to school or job retraining FREE OF CHARGE, so we can remain gainfully employed. Most of us who've been in this biz for longer than 4 or 5 years have no hope of being able to afford to go to school.  And those of us who've been MTs longer than 20 years need help and advocacy when it comes to job placement, because currently I seriously doubt many companies would h ...

I Just Do Not Understand How We Can Be Forced To Use PTO For NJA
Dec 02, 2013

How is this even legal? ...

FORCED To Abandon A Job...this Is Pathetic!!
Mar 17, 2010

I was just forced to abandon a job to save my pay. I've only been in my shift for 1 hour and have gotten the same horrible dictator for every report and have to send them all to QA!!!! I just went into my 4th report and SURPRISE it was the same dictator....This isn't fair!!!!! ...

Transcend/MDI Employee Forced Out
Jan 18, 2011

The story is I worked on same account for 4 years under MDI with no complaints about my work, always went above and beyond.  I was at top of pay scale.  Then, Transcend took over a year ago and has been hiring a lot of new employees, probably at a lot lower line rate with the industry the way it is, and now I had a "random" audit done of my work and said I failed and must go thru probation.  I said "no" to probation because upon my review, I found it was not random repor ...

Can You Be Forced To Change Your Schedule?
Sep 20, 2012

I signed what I assumed was a contract when I was hired and my hours were part of that contract.   Can they make you change your hours?  ...

Forced To Downsize--into The Backseat Of My Car?
Jul 02, 2013

Anybody else facing homelessness thanks to Nuance?  This is a serious inquiry, no snark. I'd like to network with others about what it might be like to be homeless because of your employment in this company.     ...

Since Mmodal Has Forced Us To Be As Efficient As Possible
Nov 12, 2013

I'm wondering what method do you use in DQS to get the best line count for Mmodal?  Do you mostly use the mouse/keyboard combo? Do you use the (annoying/ineffective/slow) feature that is supposed to jump the cursor to line up with the audio position where the editing needs to be done? Do you keep your right hand on the arrow keys and left hand on ctrl/alt/shift keys, moving the cursor past each word (likely the most efficient method, but moving your fingers near constant can lea ...

Plus Plus Discharge
Mar 02, 2011

he had plus plus discharge from the incision? ...

Discharge In The Eye
Apr 23, 2012

Doctor dictated "Mother is wiping pusy discharge from his eyes every 10 minutes since he awoke this morning."  The word in orange, I would normally change to "pus-like", as I don't think this is how "pus-e" discharge is spelled.  I keep thinking it should be "pussy", but that's clearly not how you pronounce it....LOL...HELP!!! ...

Move Hours To Nights And Weekends Or I Will Be Forced
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't that a kicker?   WHERE IS MY WORK?????   Does anyone know how to manage a workload?  My CCM obviously needs help!  Six months ago, it was "We need Monday hours... move them or else." Four months ago, it was "We need Friday hours... move them or else." Three months ago, it was "We need Saturday evening hours... move them or else." One month ago, it was "I have no Sunday coverage... move hours or else." This month it is "We do not need Monday hours, move ...

Electronic Medical Records Will Be Forced Onto Doctors
Aug 03, 2012

The family practice I go to is using this. The doctor asks questions and constantly inputs into his PC tablet as we speak. Its not looking good for the MT field. Anyone else worried? I worked on a project transferring hospital charts from Legacy to Epic. Once they were done with using us for that project, we were let go with no notice. Just thinking my time is running out and I need to get to medical coding school fast! Then I am worried will medical coding too be forced onto the doctors ...

Nuance Taking Over And I Was Forced To Change My Schedule
Sep 22, 2012

So, I used to work Monday through Friday, which is what I was hired for.  Fast forward to Nuance taking over and I was forced to change my schedule to include a weekend day, and this is the 4th weekend in a row, there is no work. Makes sense, huh? ...

Independent Contractor Forced To Work Holidays
Nov 06, 2012

As an independent contractor, can the company I am doing work legally make me work holidays? ...

Why Bad EMRs Are Forced On Physicians By Edwin Leap, MD
Aug 11, 2014

from KevinMD website "I recently did a tally.  Since starting my locums adventure last year, and going to full-time locums in January, I’ve worked in a grand total of 11 emergency departments.  Let me qualify that for the occasional visitor to my blog.  I decided to do this for purposes of flexibility, finances and a much needed change of scenery.  Not because I’m a problem physician, or unable to do the work in a “real” job.  I say that to ...

GYN Discharge Summary
Nov 06, 2011

In the review of systems in a gyn discharge summary I hear, "10 point was negative except per HPI. Labs HN8 with 10 and 33 ___ her last pap smear in ___ was active with negative high risk APD." The blanks are for confidentiality purposes. ...

Discharge Med - Galan??
Feb 28, 2012

This was listed in discharge meds list for a cardiology discharge summary: *Galan* 100 mg at h.s. Cannot find "Galan" in any of my references or as a soundalike for another word. What could it be? Thanks! ...

Discharge Summaries
Jan 11, 2015

Hello, I was typing the "Final Diagnoses" part a discharge summary the other day. The doctor began listing them by number and for the last number of 9, he said, "Jehovah's Witness." How is that a diagnosis?? Shouldn't those words be in the body of the report instead?? What is the correct way/formatting of handling that when it comes to religion??  Any help would be appreciated! 😃 ...

Discharge Instructions
May 12, 2015

The patient was discharged on "4 IV ORI"  The patient is in for rehydration.  ...

Psychiatry Discharge Summary
Dec 17, 2009

Working on a psych discharge summary from Allied. Not sure if there is a heading such as Psychiatric Examination. Anyone knows of this particular discharge summary, please give me a heads up. Thank you ...

Pediatrics Discharge Summary
Mar 11, 2010

I am dictating a periatric dischage summary under physcial examination sounds like rome tie.  It could be one word rometie in the chest.  The only thing I can find closed to the sound of the word is ROM TIE,  Please help, I am taking a transcription course and not doing well. Thank you, Nan ...

Nasal Discharge Which Is Non-*prual*?? Thanks. Nm
Jun 29, 2010

nm ...

Discharge Diagnosis After Delivery
Jul 12, 2011

The doctor is saying the following .... Twenty units of Pitocin were administered postpartum. No pocalisis (????) was administered. I am not sure what the bold word is, it just sounds like this. ...

Scribing A Discharge Summary
Sep 21, 2011

Had a dictation this morning where the physician said "dictating a discharge summary" and then changed it to "scribing a discharge summary" and not sure what to think of that.  Any ideas? ...

Discharge Summary Medication Help
Mar 27, 2012

Hi, I am struggling on finding the medication in the blank below. This is from a discharge summary of someone who had deep venous thrombosis. Here is the sentences: DISCHARGE MEDICATIONS:  Warfarin 5 mg daily, Lovenox 60 mg daily for 4 more days, (___) 40 mg daily.  She will be on a low salt diet. * The blank sounds like nodwar, nodwarf, nodar?  Any help is appreciated :) Thanks.   ...

S/l Visible Smoking And Discharge
May 26, 2012

Dictator doing a progress note on a patient status post fem-pop bypass talking about the wound on his thigh. S/L a visible (or invisible) smoking and discharge from the medial aspect of the right thigh.... Does this make sense? ...

Who Can Dictate Discharge Summaries
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone knows who can legally dictate a discharge summary.  I work for an Inpatient Rehab Facility in Louisiana and our Attending Physician will be on vacation for a week and he has fallen behind recently on dictating discharge summaries.  I was wondering if we could delegate someone else to dictate these to help us catch up.  Does anyone know where I could find any information on this?  I have researched for 2 days to no avail. Thanks : ...