A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

"Analysis of Blanks in Reports" - prissy

Posted: Dec 16, 2012

My supervisor did a "deep dive analysis" of difficult dictators in response to their complaints about numerous blanks in their reports.

HELLO?  If you can't speak English, at least slow down so we might be able to understand what the hell you're saying and spell the names of doctors you want to get cc's.  They have the freaking NERVE to complain about blanks in their reports.  God, I hate this company.

blanks - corgi

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree with you; if a doctor sees a lot of blanks and doesn't like them, it should make him/her realize that perhaps the problem lies with them and try to do something about it. And I do believe it is possible to be an ESL doctor and be understood, it just takes effort to speak slowly and as clearly as possible.

Some of my favorite reports to type are ESL - because.....

[ In Reply To ..]
They do speak slowly and as clearly as possible and the ASR picks them up better than I can when straight typing, and because ASR understands them, it is easy for me to follow along and understand them also.

Now if all ESL doctors would do the same we might get somewhere. I agree, a doctor seeing a LOT of blanks should realize the problem is with him not us.

What I wish for - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
I think any hospital employee who complains about blanks in a report should be strapped to a chair and have to listen to this crappy dictation for a whole day. They should also be quizzed after each report to see if they could understand any of it.

Some of it is completely unintelligible and what happens is that QA copies sections of old reports just to fill in the blanks. A long time ago, we were told that this cut and paste maneuver was grounds for termination. In any case, I find it a completely unethical practice.

Wish for! - CoMT

[ In Reply To ..]
That should be the name of their company, "Unethical Practice."

What I wish for - Lin

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree! Sorry, but cutting and pasting amounts to guessing and I'm not going to do it. I'll leave as many blanks as I need to if I can't understand the dictation. Let QA figure it out and put their jobs on the line. I'm typing what I KNOW is right!

Similar Messages:

Blanks In Reports
Sep 29, 2014

Anybody else receiving "counselling" for leaving blanks.  Received e-mail stating some of my reports were pulled and they wanted to go over my blanks.  If I can't hear them or understand them, I don't guess and leave a blank.  Dreading this one.  Seems you can't win for losing.  How do some of you handle the blank situation? ...

Anyone Know If The Reports We Pend For Blanks
Jan 19, 2015

later and count against our QA%?  God I hope not. There is this one RIDICULOUSLY horrible dictator--I don't even know how the VR manages to get ANYTHING he says correct, and I can't even tell if it's correct--the VR looks reasonable but I just cannot hear him...Chinese, speaks a mile a minute, misprounces everything, UGH!  I pull out my hair every time on him, and there is no way I would EVER get over 99% on this guy.  There are always more than the allotted blanks ...

I Have One Dictator Whose Reports Always Have A Bunch Of Blanks In Them
Mar 02, 2010

I put so much more time and effort into his work and they always come out looking like Swiss cheese.  QA can fill in about 75% of these with their guesswork.  No way am I going to continue listening over and over again to his bad dictation when they are pretty much hopeless.  I'm going to listen once and that's it -- that way I'll get the most for my money I'll be paying for the QA! ...

What Happens To Reports With All The Blanks In Them? Are They Filled In By Hand? .
Apr 02, 2010

Do they actually go into the chart like that?  I'm sure nobody retypes the reports with the corrections in them, so how does that pass the Joint Commission's inspection? ...

Genetic Analysis
Apr 12, 2010

I work on oncology notes.  Lately, I have had more and more descriptions involving genetic analysis, such as FISH analysis, with terms like "19q14 regions" and "manipulation of DNA repair enzymes", etc.  I need something to help me with this.  Everytime I Google it, I end up with a lot of closed medical journal articles I cannot access.  Anyone got any ideas???  ...

Foot Mascade Analysis
Apr 03, 2013

Anyone heard of A computerized foot s/l mascade analysis? ...

Type Of Analysis For Nipple Discharge
Feb 10, 2011

It s/l he is saying sublogic or subologic analysis. ...who developed left nipple bleeding while on antiplatelet therapy for coronary artery disease with intracoronary stent placement with (subologic) analysis of nipple discharge from the left breast demonstrating findings consistent with a papillary lesion. Thanks. ...

Urine Analysis Versus Urinalysis--is There Any Difference?
Dec 30, 2009

I think this doctor might be saying "urine analysis" as there seems to be a slight pause between the two words.  I've always gone with "urinalysis," so I'm wondering if there is any significant difference between the two terms.  Anybody know? ...

S/l Stone Fragments For Crystal Graft Analysis
Oct 08, 2014

Hi everyone I am doing a laser lithotripsy and stone extraction.  When the doctor mentions the specimen, it sounds like he is saying Specimen: stone fragments for s/l crystal graft analysis.  I would appreciate any input you may have.  this one is driving me nuts... ...

Under Radiology: S/l "B Motor" And Doppler Analysis Targeted To Portal System.
Jul 13, 2010

x ...

Prefer Short Reports Or Long Reports? Sm
Jun 13, 2012

Hi all. I was just wondering what other MTs prefer...little short reports or very long reports? Do too many of either affect your line count (and therefore your pay)?   I definitely prefer very long reports!  ...

Long Reports Or Short Reports?
Jul 15, 2013

Am i the only one that just hates the long ones? And by long I mean anything over like 4 minutes.  I love progress and ER notes!  ...

Blanks And More Blanks
Jan 21, 2010

I have just had it.  I was switched over to a horrid account, and every time I ask about being switched back, I am told to just keep on working.  The account I was switched to have horrid AMERICAN doctors as well as ESLs.  I have sat here for months listening and re-listening to no end.  We are always sent emails not to guess, send everyting to QA, well I have just started too.  No longer am I sitting here trying to guess, only to have to send the report to QA anyway.&nb ...

Blanks Yet?
Mar 09, 2010

I am so brain dead.  Are we supposed to be sending reports with blanks again? I thought this was held off until March 14th or is that just with unchecking the QA box if you do not want it to go to qa?  thanks.  between audits,lengthy emails, deleting this and that,its just a bit too much anymore.  sigh.  ...

Blanks/QA
Jul 11, 2012

Utterly confused. I took a big, BIG hit with the QA deduction in paycheck this week. So, I decided to investigate. Like everyone else, I have about 10 "regular" accounts. No blank rule is mentioned anywhere on any of the Account Specifics. I wrote the QA person for my CMC questioning how many blanks were acceptable without sending to QA, and got the "first time right" explanation. This is BOGUS...if I have one blank on a lengthy report and hafta send to QA and they take the total line ...

LPH And Blanks
Apr 12, 2013

I got a complaint from corporate that my lph are not where they should be via my TSM. I have been at MModal 6 weeks and just got off training. I was hired in at tier 3. My lph are gradually going up every day but not to suit corporate. I do straight transcription, no VR, on Futurenet. A lot of ESL bad dictators. I am still getting new dictators every day I work. It's hard to be up to par when you are still learning dictators. I work on 11 accounts. I think I am spending too muc ...

SENDING BLANKS THROUGH
Mar 04, 2010

I'm just sayin....as a radiology MT in this company for 14 years...we have always sent radiology reports straight through to the docs to review and sign (because of turnaround time)....never knew they did QA until I got new accounts 2 years ago....and have had some pretty bad foreigners.  I believe it is docs job to go over his reports anyway...he is legally responsible.. ...

Twenty Blanks To QA
Dec 27, 2010

It just occurred to me that MQ could have another card up its sleeve in order to knock down our pay, yet another scourge to get us to quit.  All it takes is more than 1 report sent per day to put my percentage of reports to over 5% to QA, which would result in 50% salary decrease.  I just had a report where ALL of the blanks were from horrible sound quality.  Words were missing, the surgeon was speaking from his speaker phone which picked up shuffling papers, you know those s ...

QA Penalty Now For Blanks
Jun 29, 2012

They are more and more following M*Modal.  Now if a report is QA'd with a blank, you will be penalized in your score for that blank, and this has been verified by a QA person, who received the new directions recently.  As I understand it, you are penalized if QA was able to find the blank either in old reports or by research, or just knowing the term.   So you have a choice, spend a lot of time on research and see your LPH plummet to minimum wage, or blank it and then be pen ...

Anyone Else On An Acct That Allows No Blanks...
Mar 22, 2013

I'm on accts that do not allow any blanks at all through to the cliient.  ALL blanks must go to QA.  I haven't ever worked on an acct that would not even allow one blank to the client.  Anyhow, might not would be so bad but the dictators are TERRIBLE!  Many ESLs also.  Combine no blanks allowed with terrible dictators = sending more to QA.  That means docked pay if 5% or more.  Oh, and don't let me forget, no samples yet.  So you have to ho ...

0.5 Point Taken Off For Blanks SM
Apr 11, 2013

I just looked at my review for March and I see all these 0.5 deductions for "blank filled in by reviewer."  There are also Valid Blanks that take off no points.   Sorry if this has been asked but did they say they were going to do this?  And if so, when?  Also, I listened to these blanks.  There is no way they can tell me 100% what was said in any of them, which is why I blanked them.  So they are guessing.  Two reports I have gone through so far are for real ...

Should We Be Counted Off For Blanks.
Jun 07, 2013

I have been taught better safe than sorry and I have been a transcriptionist for 15 years.  I am docked .05 for each blank, but the standard 3.0 (CPSE) if I got it wrong it happens to be pullled for QA.  I know this is a rhetorical question as we are all professionals, but would you leave a blank and take the 0.5 right off the bat or risk the patient on a lab value, drug name, dosage or diagnosis and take the 3.0 IF that report was pulled for QA? ...

Deducting From QA For Blanks
Aug 10, 2013

Is it common for the transcription services to deduct from our QA score now, or is this exclusive to Nuance?  I'm pretty frustrated today:  VR had said 14 cm, but it sure sounded like 40 cm, but it was an orbital rim fracture (a small area), so I was reluctant to change it to 40 without another pair of ears.  I put this in an elaboration (which we're not paid for) and found I was dinged 0.25 for my efforts (only thing "wrong" with the report).  I'm not sure I c ...

Penalized For Blanks?
Aug 15, 2013

I thought I just saw something on here that said that we were being charged for blanks?  Are they actually doing this? If so I have not seen anything stating it.   ...

Battle Of The Blanks.
Jul 12, 2014

Yep, way back when they started this 99.6% to 99.7% junk that the clients would be complaining about blanks. ROLF As predicted, their little policy bit them in the butt. Since they implemented the 99.6% to 99.7% requirement, I have left a lot more blanks out of self defense that I normally would not have left, but if it is the least bit iffy that QA might not agree, there goes a blank. Although, no way could I "win" a contest for most improvement as I do not leave enough blanks. And, again, ...

Blanks: How Are They Calculated?
Jul 14, 2014

Just wondering if anyone knows what the formula is on how they calculate your percentage of blanks left? They show me a percentage but a percentage of what? Lines? Words? Reports? Ugh. And, one blank may count for one word or an entire sentence. I just don't get it. ...

Battle Of The Blanks
Aug 17, 2014

I wonder if this is their way of seeing who leaves the most blanks and those who do will be the first to be let go when they choose to have another lay-off.  We get an email from our TSM showing our Ultipro numbers and the percentage of blanks  by each MT plus the number of reports done. ...

Deduction For Blanks
Jan 22, 2015

I have noticed that on some reports I get back from QA that I am marked down for the blank and other reports I have gotten back I am not.  Does anyone know if you are suppose to have points taken off for that? ...

I Will Never Be On The Zero Blanks List.
Feb 01, 2015

I would say 1/4 of my reports have at least one blank. 99% of the time, it is due to client profile demands - physician name not in database or spelled, must put in a blank. ...

Denied Pay For Blanks!
May 26, 2015

I am a very experienced MT who never leaves blanks unless the dictators us just plain undecipherable, which was the case with one ESL idiot who was such a poor dictator I had to leave about 25 blanks.  I struggled with this jerk's utterances (can't call them actual words) for an HOUR, replaying over and over, trying to figure out what he MEANT to say.  I made way under minimum wage on in that hour, and put in a lot of free time to try to get thro ...