A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

how long would I have to be working there in order to receive unemployment - tulip

Posted: Mar 29, 2012

If I lost my job, how long would I have to be working there in order to receive UE? Is there a certain time frame, i.e., 6 months, a year? Thanks in advance.

not sure about this one - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe that as long as you were hired on as a permanent employee, so not temporary or p.r.n., not sure it matters. they go back like a year or so to calculate how much you qualify for, and it may vary from state to state. check with your unemployment office, but I'm thinking it wouldn't make any difference.

UE question - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This likely varies from state to state but where you are I don't think it matters how long, they go back four quarters and that income is what your UE is based on.

UE - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have an answer to your specific problem, but this was my experience last week: I went to the Department of Labor and told them that my earnings had dropped to about 1/5th what I was earning just a month ago. DOL said that if my employer provided ANY WORK AT ALL, they would be justified in arguing the claim. My employer has, in fact, provided SOMEthing for me to do; it's just not my area of expertise. Also, it's re-recorded work and sounds like it's underwater...I have no idea what these dictators are saying. The DOL person said she would help me file a claim if I wished, but she didn't hold out much hope of success; in fact, she said that, if my employer had expressed up front that they intended to fight claims (which they did), it was largely a waste of my time.

It's time to get outta Dodge, folks...at least for THIS MT.

Here's my predicament - tulip

[ In Reply To ..]
Last year, I lost my job of 8 years because our account went in-house. I was unable to receive UE benefits because I was considered an IC. Luckily, I found work pretty soon after that. Now, I'm working 1 part-time job and 1 full-time job for fear of losing work again. I figure if I worked 2 jobs and I lost one, then I would still have an income coming in.

Well, this has become quite too much for me working 11 hours a day just for fear of not having a job. I was thinking of dumping the part-time job, as the full-time one I'm an employee, and if I ever lost it, I could receive UE benefits.

I suppose I was just wondering how long I would have to work for them in order to be eligible for UE. It's been about 9 months now.

By the way, thanks ladies (or gentlemen) for responding to me.

re: tulip - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
well 9 months is certainly plenty of time! and like I said before, they go back a year and if you were working before, even if you had a small lapse in between jobs, then you are definitely eligible. good luck to you.

not a waste of time - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
DOL employee is giving you the wrong information. It is irrelevant in the determination of a claim, whether the employer intends to "fight it." They don't fight it, they appeal - same as the (former) employee can. BOTH parties have the right to appeal, up to the state supreme court (and I suppose Supreme Court after that), and to have the case decided based on its specific merits - NOT on whether or not the employer wants to "fight."

By continuing to appeal, as an employee, and garnering publicity on the way, if you can manage it in the media, you may trigger some legislative action on that particular issue, relating to workers' rights. Who knows where it will lead.

But it is absolutely wrong for a DOL employee to tell a worker, that somehow the validity of their claim is determined by an employer's intention "to fight it." Wrong.

Best of luck to you, and don't give up "the fight."

I believe 16 weeks is the minimum. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and you absolutely can collect UE if you were an employee, or even an IC that was treated like an employee, especially if your work has decreased that much. Are you getting minimum wage when you have no work? These MTSOs are getting away with murder.

unemployment - youaskedfor it

[ In Reply To ..]
you can check your state site, it will explain everything. us.gov.xx (PA) put your state initials in the "xx". After one waiting week, you can apply.

Similar Messages:

If Unemployment Tell You That You Can't Receive
Mar 27, 2013

unemployment because you got fired and makes you feel like a criminal, what am I supposed to do? I live in Ohio, but I did live in Florida and Ohio told me I have to call Florida to finish up my benefits, but Florida told me that they have to investigate my case and that I can't receive unemployment anyway because I got fired.I have no hope now and I will be homeless if they don't help me. I don't know, what do I do? ...

How Long Does It Take To Receive Approval Of PTO?
May 15, 2013

The request is only a week old, for a week off at the end of June.  I have to make a non-refundable deposiit as soon as possible, as beach houses are going quickly.  Do you think it is permissible to ask TSM to approve it ASAP?  How long does it normally take to get approval? ...

Any Former Diskriter Employees Know How Long It Takes To Receive Sm
Jan 06, 2012

your PTO pay after termination?  I am hoping this is not something I have to "fight" to get, but I have not received it so far and am getting a bit apprehensive. TIA. ...

Unemployment While Working Part Time IC
Feb 25, 2015

I have a question concerning unemployment and I hope I can word this correctly. I have 2 jobs. One is IC with a very small volume - about 1500 lines per 2-week pay period. I also have a full-time job as an employee. I will be laid off my full-time job this Friday due to loss of work. I am considering filing for unemployment, but I wonder how my IC job will affect my unemployment, if at all? I also have an option of receiving more work from the IC job, but still would not be making as much as I d ...

Does Anybody Out There Actually Have A Working Swap Board With A Long Schedule Posted?
Apr 29, 2010

Does anybody out there actually have a working swap board with a long schedule posted?  I'm getting so frustrated with this supposedly wonderful tool for us to have.  My schedule is never posted farther out than my current work week nor are any available shifts listed farther out than that.  I'm really starting to wonder why the CCM is dragging feet so much.  CCM has mentioned everything from "unsure schedules are correct" to "waiting for all the kinks to get out."  However, any t ...

Dictating Out Of Order
Dec 07, 2009

This is driving me crazy!  My main account has several docs that dictate their review of systems and PE out of body system order, like instead of the neck head down, they dictate the abdomen or extremities first.  ...

(s/l) *low Order* Ramp...SM
Aug 29, 2010

The patient exercised today on a 2-minute children’s treadmill protocol.  I chose this protocol since there is (s/l) *low-order* or *well-order* ramp which I thought would be less likely to cause pelvic discomfort. ...

First, Second, Third-order... Angiography
May 02, 2011

Can anybody enlighten me on what is meant by the first-order.... angiography?  I've been trying to google it and it doesn't really explain. ...

Job Order Question
Oct 07, 2011

Does anyone know the order in which we get our jobs?  I mean I know that they are not first come first serve because the times are off.  Thanks! ...

Where Can I Order Headphones
Dec 30, 2014

Where can I order headphones that are of good quality and will not need a second mortgage to afford?  Thanks ...

Will Order _____ Legionella
Jan 15, 2010

Dictator says:  I will order ____ legionella.  It sounds like for-seat-um legionella. ...

Order Of Reference Materials
May 07, 2010

I know I have come across the answer to this question in the past, but can't seem to put my fingers on it now......  1.  CP   2/3.  BOS then Standards OR Standards then BOS?  In reference to the q.h.s. question...  since all 3 references usually appear somewhere on each CP, would not q.h.s.  vs nightly depend on the order of reference materials used?  The vast majority of my CPs have "BOS and Standards" at top and JCAHO at the bottom. ...

What Software Do I Need In Order To Get A Few Clients Of My Own?
Jun 20, 2013

I was just wondering if I wanted to acquire a few clients on my own, what type of software do I need besides something like Express Scribe?  Those of you who have your own accounts, what do you use?   Thank you :) ...

How Do I Upgrade In Order To See Swap Board? NM
Apr 09, 2010

No message ...

Transcribe Headings In Order Dictated?
Dec 05, 2010

I see this now at the top of some reports.  Anyone have any idea what this means exactly?  I remember reading about it in the DQS 6.1 update, but my screen looks nothing like that.  I've just been transcribing as usual.  ????  Am I missing something? ...

Why Aren't The Archives In Date Order?
Oct 31, 2011

Looking through archives here for info on a couple of companies, who uses ChartNet and so forth... there is NO order to the way posts are listed.  Why is that?  It should be an easy fix and soooooooooo helpful! ...

Question- Order Of Headings In Consult/H&P
Aug 26, 2012

I have a couple dictators who dictate impression/plan at the beginning of their reports. This comes through in ASR and so I have been leaving these at the beginning of the report even though it is not the way I was taught to do traditional H&P, consultation reports. I am not on a verbatim account. Also, the client profile does not mention this at all. Is it okay to leave the imp/plan at the top of report, or should I change these? ...

Flip Switch In Order To Use 2 Computers
Oct 29, 2012

Just bought Flip USB with audio KVM switch in order to be able to have 1 dedicated computer for work only and the other computer for unrelated work items. Have never used one of these before and just wondering if you were in your work program on 1, if you switch over to the other computer for say checking email, does the work computer shut down? I would hate for that to happen and perhaps lose work. Thanks. ...

MModal Guidelines Order Of Importance
Feb 12, 2014

With all this talk of people being audited more frequently, including myself.  I thought I'd try to help out a little.  MModal follows 4 documents when it comes to formatting, and they are really cracking down on it.  They have a certain order in which to follow, one trumping the other.  If you can't find what you are looking for in the first document, move on to the next one.  Here's the order: 1.  Client profile - this will list any exceptions to t ...

What Do You Get When You Order Instant Text From The Fitaly Site?
Jun 22, 2010

The site talks about how it works and how much it costs, but I don't see whether you get a link to a download or if they send you a copy on CD, and does it come with a hard-copy manual, or just a help file? It's a lot of money to spend, so I'd really like a better idea of what I'll be getting for it. Is their support good? Thanks. ...

Do Not Order From Digital Dictation And Transcription Store
Feb 28, 2012

Do not order from Digital Dictation and Transcription Store.  I received a hand control that did not and returned the item.  They charged me a 20% restocking fee, shipping to me and return shipping for them for a total of almost $55. ...

Where Would I Start, In Order To Report A HIPAA Violation?
Oct 15, 2014

I think this really should be reported and looked into,  as long as we're all supposed to be taking HIPAA so seriously. And, no, it doesn't matter what the violation was, I'm not posting it here for everyone to argue over the dirty details. ...

I Wonder If Recruiters Read Emails In Order Received?
Feb 26, 2015

Or do they just start reading when they open their email?  I was the 11th view of a job I was perfect for, and I'll bet I am buried under the rest of the responses.  No offense to anyone.  It just seems moot to even try anymore since there is a glut of us and not enough decent jobs to go around.  I want out of this here "career" anyway.  It's a good thing, Martha Stewart.    ...

Anyone Receive W2 In Mail Yet?
Jan 28, 2010

I left MQ last May after 4 years and haven't received my W2 yet.  Has anyone received it in the "snail" mail?  Do I need to call them? ...

Did Everyone Receive An Email Re The New Pay
Jul 30, 2011

scale for different tiers or just those who had their pay adjusted?  Is this new pay scale posted on MQCentral?  Thanks for any information. ...

Anyone Receive MQ W2 In Mail Yet? Nm
Jan 24, 2012

nm ...

TTD - For Those Who Did Not Receive A Check
Aug 21, 2012

for those who did not receive a check, are you working today? am i a fool to work? ...

Anyone Receive Their W2 From SoftScript? Sm
Feb 03, 2015

I only worked for them for a short period last year and I was hoping to have the W2 by now. Has only received theirs at all? Thank you for any info. ...

Who Signs On To The VMware View Client In Order To Work
Apr 24, 2012

and is it mandatory??? MModal Tech and my cable company say it is causing me to lag in a major way...so I kind of dont use it anymore...not that anyone knows yet!!!  just curious ...

Did Anyone NOT Receive Their MDI/Transcend Packet Yet?
Nov 21, 2009

Saturday and nothing yet. ...