A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

does MT school replace experience? - Mtquestion

Posted: Nov 19, 2009

Does having a diploma from an MT school allow you to apply at places that state "2 years experience required" etc. I have a year of experience just from the schools 800 transcription reports that I did in 2 months!

Not usually. - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
A lot of places very specifically say that schooling does not take the place of experience. Plus 800 reports, quite frankly, only tallies up to about a month of real world experience, depending on the type of work that you do. I do 40 to 50 reports a day in a clinic setting.

Ubiquitous Happy MT Robin strikes again. - As I was saying.

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are doing 40 to 50 clinic reports a day, straight typing, your company is wearing you out. If it's VR, 40 or 50 reports a day is not much. That explains it all then.

what? 40 to 50 a day is not wearing you out. - it is a productive day. n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

Why do you keep stalking/bashing Robin - U need better hobby

[ In Reply To ..]
Many of us respect Robin and like her posts. Get over yourself and leave her alone.
If I did not like Robin, I would not pick on her. You... - on the other hand, need to glue your fingers shut.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
New medical procedure? - LOL
[ In Reply To ..]
Hmm, I can't seem to find that one in the coding book. Its probably in the section that includes removing one's head from one's posterior.
Holy crap you guys are FUNNY!! - ChickenLover
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't care what anyone says...you guys are a RIOT! Cattiness, snarkiness...whatever. You guys are keeping it real and I know I can certainly appreciate that.

:-D

Wow. I'm ubiquitous now? Cool. - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
;=)
Lord have mercy, gal, when do you have time to type? - Could be 75 to 100 reports
[ In Reply To ..]
instead of that measley 40 to 50 if you weren't here so often.
Sorry, I don̢۪t even know that word, gonna have to - look it up
[ In Reply To ..]
At least you know what it means.
The proper word would be "loquacious". - Chelle #3 - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You think 800 reports equals a year's experience? - The Rolling Eyeball

[ In Reply To ..]
Is this the new math?

"I have a year of experience ... that I did in 2 months!"

Sorry, but that's not how it works.

Companies want 2 years of experience because in those 2 years you'll be exposed to a huge variety of situations they simply don't teach you in school.

Have you transcribed reports where the dictator was:

A) On a cell phone sitting in traffic?
B) Eating his lunch with 'the big game' playing on the TV three inches from the microphone?
C) In the midst of a crowded break room where 15 or so residents were chatting about their cases?
D) Using a microphone with a loose wire so that every third wo-- ----s c-- off ---nd you couldn't te-- ----mg or mcg and one dose is gr--- --- ----- is lethal?
E) Dictating the wrong patient, not realizing that Mrs. Ladyfingers has probably not come to Urology because of testicular pain?
F) About 40 years past his prime and absentmindedly switching 'left/right' and 'he/she' and 'is/is not' in each new sentence?

You see, it's not just the number of words you've pounded out on a keyboard. It's the situations that accompany those words. And that comes with time.

Yes, we've all been new. We've all been through the learning process.

Problem is, companies are so penny-conscious rigth now that the overwhelming majority of them are not willing to spend the resources helping you learn it. With so many MTs with literally decades of real-world, down in the trenches, trial by fire experiences actively looking for work, a company doesn't really have much of an incentive to take on someone straight out of school. (Even if they've done 800 canned dictations from a tape at the Zippy Finger School of Medical Transcription.) Those that are willing to take newbies will expect to pay you accordingly.

In short, the answer is no. Having a diploma does not allow you to claim you have 2 years of experience. But you can still apply. Really, what have you got to lose? You've got to start somewhere, right?

and how long are these 40-50 reports that you do a day? - meagain

[ In Reply To ..]
of course a more experienced person can type more, but i can type 83 wpm so i am not worried about that part. Most of these reports were long. im not talking about 45 second notes. i could do those all day

You Missed The Point Entirely - The Rolling Eyeball

[ In Reply To ..]
Go back and read my post.

It's not about how long the reports are.

It's not about how many reports you can cram into your two months' of schooling.

It's about being there -- fanny in the seat -- being exposed to real-life situations day after day. You know...that "experience" stuff all the employers seem to be looking for.

Nobody will care that you can "type" 83 wpm because nobody's looking for a good "typist." They're looking for a good transcriptionist. Typing speed actually counts for very little in the real world. It seems like a lot of students think it's the be all/end all, and it's really not.

FWIW, I type 128 wmp, but I've never once seen a pre-employment test that measures speed for this job. (As opposed to, say, a secretary or data entry operator, where such a thing might matter.) Have you taken any online tests yet? They test knowledge and accuracy. Not speed.

But to answer your question, the reports I type vary in length, of course. I do everything from mammograms to cardiothoracic surgery - I've done acute care, clinic, ER, rad, ops, and years and years of legal transcription. I usually do about 200 minutes of dictation a day - up or down depending on the speciality - because I want to make at least a grand a week and that's about how much dictation it takes with my current accounts. Your mileage may vary.

In-house training can replace MT schools - I got paid to learn :)

[ In Reply To ..]
IMO no school can replace actual experience. There's a reason for experience requirements - no school can prepare you for every scenario. You can learn more in a room full of transcriptionists, with doctors coming and going that you can personally ask questions, than you'll learn in any school.

Generally speaking "no" But....sm - getting hired

[ In Reply To ..]
not everything is carved in stone.
Having a diploma 'allows', or makes you qualified to apply for a job, even if you do not have 2 years experience.

Don't listen to all those discouraging posts of "old and - oh my ! - so experienced MTs" and apply, apply, apply.... Don't get discouraged if you do not get an answer, keep going!

If you test really good, somebody might give you a chance and hire you.

There are still newbies who get hired, maybe you are going to be one of those.

What else can you do than apply, apply, apply and test, test, test, until you are lucky and get hired.

Not applying will certainly not get you a job.

BTW, there are companies who prefer to hire newbies because they are cheaper and are better manageable and not so SET in THEIR ways!

I wish you good luck!

school = 800 in two months/life experience = 800 in one week. NM - mtmm

[ In Reply To ..]

before anyone jumps a gut - that's in radiology. NM - mtmm

[ In Reply To ..]

and how long are these? - Meagain

[ In Reply To ..]
?

I was just wondering if I would at least get looked at with my diploma from careerstep - Meagain

[ In Reply To ..]
This blog makes me extremely worried that I will not find a job in this field after all...

Similar Messages:

Needing More MT Experience -- Extra School?
Dec 08, 2010

I am hoping that some of you can give me your thoughts about this. I have been an MT for about 14.5 years and lost my job about six months ago to the facillity going front-end ASR (I think). I basically transcribed only one specialty for that time, although in the beginning I did some gastro and chiro for a private practice. I have very little experience in doing the basic 4, I do have a little in DS, H&P and consults. No experience in OPs. I have been searching for jobs in my speci ...

When Do You Replace Your Keyboard
Jun 14, 2011

I'm trying to stockpile a 2-year supply (wishful thinking?) of Memorex TS1100 keyboards.  I don't think they are being made any more, so I find them on eBay. I use them untill all the print is off the letter keys, all the plastic is gone from several of the letters leaving the metal exposed, there is a piece missing on the space bar where my right thumb goes, and then I dump them.  Do you think I should them longer than this.  I've only ever had one STOP working (I ...

How Many Need To Replace Windows XP
Apr 06, 2014

Just wondered how much richer Bill Gates is going to get by forcing people to upgrade computers and/or software or risk getting viruses or hackers once Windows XP support is gone April 8.  Bill Gates = ...

2-3 Newbies To Replace 1 Veteran MT
Nov 02, 2010

Just read another interesting article in that it is estimated that it will take 2-3 newbie MTs to replace 1 veteran MT.  Something all these corporate MTSOs better start thinking about.  Once they run all the veteran MTs off, find demand is shifting back to onshore transcription, then what are they going to do.  Even if they pay newbies lets say a mere 6 cpl...that's 18 cpl if it takes 3 to replace 1 veteran, and the veteran makes probably 9 cpl (maybe 10) so it is costing th ...

What Is This M Modal? Is It Going To Replace Docuscribe Or ? N/m
Nov 30, 2011

x ...

Need Recommendation To Replace SH Program...
May 29, 2012

I'm a Webmedx transplant.  Since early next year we will be unable to continue using Shorthand 10.0 program for word expansion, can someone recommend a good substitute that will be compatible with the Enterprise program and Escription?  Years ago I used PRD. Thanks in advance!     ...

How To Do A Find And Replace In Bayscribe?
Jul 16, 2012

Does anyone know how to do a find and replace in Bayscribe? I'm only able to "find" TIA ...

Looking For A New Keyboard To Replace MS Natural Elite.
Jun 30, 2013

Has anyone found a good replacement for their Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard? I'm trying to find something with the same, or very similar, keypad layout. I have a Kinesis Freestyle and just cannot get used to the placement. Very frustrating. I then bought a Microsoft Ergo 4000 and found out afterward many people (myself included) are complaining about a design flaw with the spacebar. An Amazon seller has a Natural Elite for $189, a bit out of my price range right now. So, if anyone has an ...

Anyone Know Why This Text Is In MS Word Find And Replace Box
Dec 16, 2014

When I use Control + F and the Find and Replace box opens up, why is this text already in there? [0-9] {1,} ...

Computer Died....anyone Replace A Power Supply ? - Sm
Jun 27, 2010

Woke up to my computer dead (2.5 years old).....shut it down last night, no problems.  Did not notice if the blinking light(of the power button) was on or not last night when I went to bed.  In any case it was off this morning which is not the norm.  DOA.  Tried the obvious, unplugged, replugged in different outlet, etc.  Nada.  Have another old Dell here (has hard drive issues not power supply)  thought maybe I could switch out the power supplies, don ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Call-In Dictation System - To Replace Dying Lanier 800
Apr 28, 2010

Looking to replace dying Lanier 800 Call-In System.  Any suggestions?  Any warnings against particular brands?  Approximately 35 dictators, 5 on-site MTs, average of 2,600 minutes monthly of call-in.  Thanks!! ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

New Graduate - Experience In Transcription Is Experience
Nov 11, 2009

I am a new graduate and need to find a job! I am also new to this site. I got the site info from a friend that has been doing transcription work for many years. She has given me some leads, but as of now, nothing! It appears that most of these companies wnat 2 or more years experience. Does anyone know how I can start and get some experience? I suppose in anything and not just medical. Experience in transcription is experience, right? ...

"Replace As You Type" Will NOT Stay Checked...sm
Oct 29, 2009

in Word 2003.  I just reformatted about a month ago and have been fighting with this issue since then.  Every time I go into a new report, I have to recheck it but it doesn't always mean it will hold throughout the whole report.  This is SOOOO annoying.  I've done the research thoroughly and still cannot find any solutions.  Anybody dealt with this before and know how to correct it?    All help will be GREATLY appreciated so I can stop scaring my cats ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Do Some Of The Hospitals That Use DQS Also Use Epic Or Will Epic Replace
Aug 08, 2012

DQS completely and the hospital will drop MQ.  Just curious about that.  It seems Epic is the way to go and was not sure if that can be interspersed with DQS or eliminate MQ altogether with DQS.  ...

MT School
Mar 08, 2010

Does anyone know a good MT school course? There are so many of them out, but not sure which ones are worth trying. TIA. ...

How Is School Going For Everyone?
May 22, 2010

I know a lot of MTs are back in school, how are you progressing?  I'm waiting for my FAFSA at the moment and am taking 9 more credits this summer (if everything goes smoothly)  We are living on my husband's income and have had to cut down on quite a bit.  I plan on getting my MSW, hopefully within three to four years.  Anyone else want to share? ...

School Help!
May 09, 2012

Hi there...I am wondering if anyone has any advice about which school might be a better idea and why for Medical Transcription: At Home Professions Career Step I live in Minnesota, want to work only from home, have 3 4 year college degrees, one a Master's.  thanks! ...

Meditec School
Nov 30, 2009

I am looking into taking a course with Meditec.  Unfortnately, I cannot find any information about this on the boards.  If anyone has taken their billing/coding course, please let me know if you were prepared for employment when done.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Has Anyone Gone To Allied For MT School?
Dec 31, 2009

Just wondering if anyone went to Allied Medical Schooling for MT and how they liked it? How did you do and if you felt prepared for work after getting done with it? I just want to know how others done with it and how they liked it? ...

School Questions . . .
Jan 19, 2010

Okay, so I know there are recommended schools out there.  But what about the local community college?  If I were to take coding classes there, could I get certified?  What about some of these online schools?  Can you coders share your schooling/training experience please? ...

MT Course At ALLIED Med School
Jan 23, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about Allied Medical School's Medical Transcription course? They are approved by AHDI, the price is reasonable (not cheapest but not most expensive) and the course includes a laptop, CD materials and actual textbooks(unlike CareerStep that provides photo copies). I want to get started on my schooling but I want to make the best choice I can. Any info/feed back would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is 40 Too Old To Go Back To School?
Feb 02, 2010

Being an MT is not paying my bills.  I am thinking about going back to school, but I am 40 and it has been so long since I was in high school.  I have to google to help my son with his 4th grade homework let alone do college math. AND it will be 2 to 4 years before I will get a good job.  I am leaning towards radiology tech, lab tech, or maybe nursing.  Can't  decide just yet but I know that EMR isn't going to be taking those jobs away!!!  Any advice ...

To Those Back In School
Mar 01, 2010

How are you adjusting?  Today is my first day and I want to pull my hair out, lol!  I know I need to give myself a chance to adjust, but i'm the type I want to learn quickly so I don't stress over it or feel incompetent.  I'm just rusty I guess, I hope I get into the groove of things, maybe get to the point where I enjoy it.  Just wondering how you all are doing with the school or profession change.  I've been an MT so long I feel like i'm c ...

Quitting School
Mar 06, 2010

I am taking MT at Career Step, but I am unable to understand these doctors even if I slow down or speed up. I think I am going to quit because how can you transcribe if you can not understand. Can anyone give me some input? ...

Picking The Right School
Mar 16, 2010

I am trying to find a school to get a medical transcription certification. There seem to be so many, but Penn Foster's seems the most affordable. To anyone with experience/knowledge is this a good school that will enable me to find work once completed? ...

Anyone Going Back To School
May 04, 2010

How do you get a loan to help pay bills while in school?  I'm in the middle of a FAFSA loan for fall semester, but she told me it is for school only.  Someone said they were using part of it to supplement the household income?  What kind of loan would that be?  TIA ...

Online Or At School
Jun 26, 2010

I am just curious. Is there a big difference between online coding classes and going into school?  I feel (I am taking online course) that maybe going into the classroom would be most beneficial. ...