A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Need recommendation to replace SH program... - Bindi

Posted: May 29, 2012

I'm a Webmedx transplant.  Since early next year we will be unable to continue using Shorthand 10.0 program for word expansion, can someone recommend a good substitute that will be compatible with the Enterprise program and Escription? 

Years ago I used PRD.

Thanks in advance!

shorthand replacement - tiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Instant text is great.

Another former PRD user. sm - I Miss the Old Webmedx

[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't aware we would not be able to use ShortHand. Thought they were just not paying for it anymore. I actually purchased a 1-year-lease for ShortHand for my own computer. Very reasonable price.

Hi Bindi, do you work for enterprise? Who told you this - I was told I would have to buy it but...

[ In Reply To ..]
..was never told that I would not be able to use my SH next year which I just renewed. This would be just another huge problem for many at Nuance, especially with Enterprise (wmx)

You will still be able to use Shorthand! It's just that... - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
...the license will no longer be supplied by the company. I'm just going to buy the license myself. It's cheap - a year is only $30, which works out to be about $2.50 a month. I'll write it off as a business expense anyway.

I've been using Shorthand for years. Do not plan to switch to something else.

SH reimbusement gone - gets worse by the day

[ In Reply To ..]
next we will be charged to use their software to produce their reports!

Oh come on. As an MT I own my own expander and references. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
My Shorthand license costs me between 8 and 9 cents a day (a 1-year license is 30 bucks).

I write it off as a business expense, and if I change jobs I take my expander with me.
I also purchased my own several years ago now. That is - the way it NEEDS to be because
[ In Reply To ..]
everything we put on our expander needs to be our own property, an incredibly invaluable tool we have to be able to take with us wherever we go. From the day I brought MY Shorthand to WMX I declined the offer to back up my dictionary on the computer computer. What if I were let go and found myself locked out? Or they decided it was theirs and took control of it?

It's eye opening to realize that Webmedx only belatedly started offering us SH, and assistance using it, to nudge those who weren't doing it for themselves into starting to use an expander. I've actually never understood how anyone could have heard about a program that typed "chronic obstructive pulmonary disease" for her and not have rushed to get it. I swear the very hour I learned such a thing was out there, the little antique PRD, I ordered it for myself.

I guess I should have worded that differently... - Bindi

[ In Reply To ..]
Hope I didn't panic anyone with the way I worded that. What I meant to say, and as far as I know this is just for us WMX'rs, was that Shorthand will no longer be provided to us free (the license will not be renewed by Webmedx), but we do have the option to purchase it on our own and continue to use it or any other word expansion program that we choose.

According to an e-mail last March from my supervisor, she stated that Nuance had purchased the license renewal for us for 2012 but that would expire 4/1/2013. She also stated that effective 03/31/2012, tech support would no longer be available for SH and that new hires after 03/15/2012 would not be provided with SH.

Hope that makes better sense. Anyway, I have never been crazy about SH, have had a lot of issues with it, even with the help of tech support and was hoping to get some recommendations for other expander programs.

Instant Text works great with none of issues from SH - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I started having problems with my SH not expanding correctly or not expanding at all, behaving very erratically, after I got a new computer. I was on the SH e-mail group, and I was one of many. I tried all of their suggestions, and tech was absolutely no help at all, contacted SH with very little help, and finally bit the bullet and bought IT. It has worked without problem and I absolutely love it now. They also have great support if you have problems (I did in the beginning LOL, kept hitting the wrong key and had it not docked to my window, etc, which they told me how to fix). You can get a free trial, but the cost I believe was $189. However, you own it, don't have to keep renewing it. So if you can get SH to work, in the short run it is definitely cheaper, but for me, I could not work with it as it was so erratic that I really had no choice. Good luck with whatever you decide (Oh and I have not used it for Escription but friends have and said it works well)

thanks for the information (sm) - Bindi

[ In Reply To ..]
My problems with SH started with a new computer too ( a Webmedx-provided computer, I might add). Tech helped a little bit, but they acted like it was just me. I too was on the SH users list, so I knew I wasn't the only one afflicted. Anyway, it acts up every now and again, but I've never liked SH, not after having used PRD a long, long time ago. This is a good opportunity to get something better. Instant Type sounds great.

Did you download it from the internet or were you able to get it on CD? (I much prefer having actual programs on CD).
google IT version 7/download from internet - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
They used to send you the CD but for this newest version (which I highly recommend, has all the bells and whistles missing from previous version) you need to download it from their site. You register with them with your e-mail and they give you a #, and you get an authorization key. I had a computer crash, and I also wanted a copy on my laptop, and they issued authorization keys within 24 hours to do that, so you don't have limited download times or anything like that, once you have purchased it you can load it onto other personal computers, or a different computer if one crashes (which is my objection to not having a CD). I really recommend trying the free trial first. Good luck!

can I transfer all my SHORTHAND dictionary - into INSTANT TEXT? tia

[ In Reply To ..]
tia

importing - tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, you can. It has instructions on that. I love it. I have never used shorthand, but use this and it saves me a lot of time and keystrokes.

SH Program - over20

[ In Reply To ..]
I currently work there and use SH version 10 on escription.

thanks, everybody! :) - Bindi

[ In Reply To ..]
/

I have used Shorthand since the early 90s and - on more than 7 platforms.

[ In Reply To ..]
Am currently using eScription and ShortHand works perfectly. My ShortHand even works in NotePad, WordPerfect, Bayscribe, M-Model, Encore, ChartNet. I'm really not sure there is a program out there it doesn't work with. If somebody just TOLD you it wont work, try to check it out yourself. But I currently work on eScription and it works with it. Hope this helps.

Similar Messages:

Transcription Program Recommendation?
Feb 22, 2012

Currently, I receive voice files by email, transcribe with Express Scribe, and print.   My doctor would like a way to be able to see what she has sent and what has been typed to be sure we are not missing something in the email, keeping up with tat and etc.     Hoping someone can recommend the best way to send and receive voice files so we both have access to the same information and with that information in an orderly fashion, something easy to understand and master the process ...

Line Count Program Recommendation
Nov 09, 2011

Can anybody recommend a reliable line count program that will count in the Word 2010 program?  I used to use Abacus which you could access directly in Word if you inserted a shortcut to it.  This way I could finish a document, count it, then close it with a password.  Abacus apparently doesn't work in Word 2010 and I've been experimenting wtih other counting programs but haven't found one that is as easy to use ... everything so far seems to require many more steps.  I use a g ...

When Do You Replace Your Keyboard
Jun 14, 2011

I'm trying to stockpile a 2-year supply (wishful thinking?) of Memorex TS1100 keyboards.  I don't think they are being made any more, so I find them on eBay. I use them untill all the print is off the letter keys, all the plastic is gone from several of the letters leaving the metal exposed, there is a piece missing on the space bar where my right thumb goes, and then I dump them.  Do you think I should them longer than this.  I've only ever had one STOP working (I ...

SmartMed Recommendation
Feb 07, 2012

I see they have an ad.  I worked there but left for family tragedy.  I am giving them an unsolicited endorsement.  Wonderful, friendly women.  they do have teaching accounts so not for newbies.  If you want to work for a good company and deal with sane individuals, I recommend them.  I did not make tons of money there (but where can you anymore) but it was certainly refreshing to deal with adults.   ...

Recommendation/Suggestion
Apr 16, 2013

Everyone should make a habit of getting a letter of reference from CURRENT employers even before you are actually looking for another job.  All you have to say is that you are updating your resume and want to be sure you have current letters of reference attached as well.  It doesn't matter if you are working as an "employee", if they are happy with you and with your work, they should have no problem giving this to you.  If you are an "IC", it should be even easier since you ...

How Many Need To Replace Windows XP
Apr 06, 2014

Just wondered how much richer Bill Gates is going to get by forcing people to upgrade computers and/or software or risk getting viruses or hackers once Windows XP support is gone April 8.  Bill Gates = ...

Recommendation For Those Ever-recurring Little Corrections.
Oct 25, 2009

You know, where you have to stop and type in a "his," "the," "no," "were," "and," or separate a run-on into 2 sentences, add a "She" to a sentence, change a letter, join 2 sentences into one, etc., because VR goofed. This has been working well for me:  Use SINGLE LETTERS (T, E, F, and so on) for the very most common words and corrections. Like T for "the," N for "no," E for "was", J for "has," F for macro that toggles letter from lower to upper and upper to lower ...

Does MT School Replace Experience?
Nov 19, 2009

Does having a diploma from an MT school allow you to apply at places that state "2 years experience required" etc. I have a year of experience just from the schools 800 transcription reports that I did in 2 months! ...

Coding Books Recommendation
Jun 09, 2010

Does anyone recommend any beginning coding books to explore the field of coding and possibly get a head start while I am awaiting school?   Thanks so much. ...

2-3 Newbies To Replace 1 Veteran MT
Nov 02, 2010

Just read another interesting article in that it is estimated that it will take 2-3 newbie MTs to replace 1 veteran MT.  Something all these corporate MTSOs better start thinking about.  Once they run all the veteran MTs off, find demand is shifting back to onshore transcription, then what are they going to do.  Even if they pay newbies lets say a mere 6 cpl...that's 18 cpl if it takes 3 to replace 1 veteran, and the veteran makes probably 9 cpl (maybe 10) so it is costing th ...

What Is This M Modal? Is It Going To Replace Docuscribe Or ? N/m
Nov 30, 2011

x ...

How To Do A Find And Replace In Bayscribe?
Jul 16, 2012

Does anyone know how to do a find and replace in Bayscribe? I'm only able to "find" TIA ...

Any Recommendation Wrt E-mail Services?
Sep 23, 2014

When I updated to windows 7, I lost outlook express email on my laptop and discovered -- Microsoft is not endearing in just this way -- that it cost about $35-40 as a stand alone. I don't really want to use G-mail for "everything" for privacy reasons -- any recommendations? Firefox offers "Thunderbird" and has a half-dozen recommendations .. "cheap" annual subscription, but not free. ...

Need Keyboard Recommendation For Issues With De Quervain's
Mar 26, 2010

I have been a MT for close to 15 years & have used a Kinesis keyboard for the majority of that time. I am currently using the Advantage. I actually have a couple of these with the same keyboard layout. I have suddenly developed De Quervain's of my left thumb. (Apparently, I backspace more than I thought I did!) I was placed in a brace but cannot use it while typing. I am using some compression gloves when I work and just do not use my thumb. I have remapped a key in ...

Billing/Coding School Recommendation Sm
Jun 28, 2010

Thinking of taking billing/coding courses since transcription is going downhill.  Any good on-line schools that are AHIMA accredited?  Do you have to take courses only accredited by AHIMA?  What about their courses?  Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.  (Also, I don't want to take a course that takes years to complete.)  Thanks in advance! ...

Recommendation For Line Count Software
Jun 15, 2012

I've searched on MTStars high and low already and only get posts that are so old the links no longer work or the product is no longer available. My question is can someone recommend an inexpensive (under $50) Line Counting Software that counts headers/footers?  And could you please include a link so I can find this software?  It does not even have to gin up an invoice but just counts lines (including headers/footers).  Many thanks. ...

Career Step Graduates Recommendation
Aug 11, 2012

Any graduates of Career Step that can recommend the course?  Also, is it a licensed school.  I am told that it is based in Provo, Utah. ...

Recommendation For Web-based Email Service...SM
Dec 16, 2012

Hi All, My Cox email service has been out since Friday night with no end in sight.  Can anyone recommend a web-based service like Yahoo, etc., that is simple and safe, so I can open a temporary email for the meantime.  Thanks. ...

Looking For A New Keyboard To Replace MS Natural Elite.
Jun 30, 2013

Has anyone found a good replacement for their Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard? I'm trying to find something with the same, or very similar, keypad layout. I have a Kinesis Freestyle and just cannot get used to the placement. Very frustrating. I then bought a Microsoft Ergo 4000 and found out afterward many people (myself included) are complaining about a design flaw with the spacebar. An Amazon seller has a Natural Elite for $189, a bit out of my price range right now. So, if anyone has an ...

Anyone Know Why This Text Is In MS Word Find And Replace Box
Dec 16, 2014

When I use Control + F and the Find and Replace box opens up, why is this text already in there? [0-9] {1,} ...

Computer Died....anyone Replace A Power Supply ? - Sm
Jun 27, 2010

Woke up to my computer dead (2.5 years old).....shut it down last night, no problems.  Did not notice if the blinking light(of the power button) was on or not last night when I went to bed.  In any case it was off this morning which is not the norm.  DOA.  Tried the obvious, unplugged, replugged in different outlet, etc.  Nada.  Have another old Dell here (has hard drive issues not power supply)  thought maybe I could switch out the power supplies, don ...

Call-In Dictation System - To Replace Dying Lanier 800
Apr 28, 2010

Looking to replace dying Lanier 800 Call-In System.  Any suggestions?  Any warnings against particular brands?  Approximately 35 dictators, 5 on-site MTs, average of 2,600 minutes monthly of call-in.  Thanks!! ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

"Replace As You Type" Will NOT Stay Checked...sm
Oct 29, 2009

in Word 2003.  I just reformatted about a month ago and have been fighting with this issue since then.  Every time I go into a new report, I have to recheck it but it doesn't always mean it will hold throughout the whole report.  This is SOOOO annoying.  I've done the research thoroughly and still cannot find any solutions.  Anybody dealt with this before and know how to correct it?    All help will be GREATLY appreciated so I can stop scaring my cats ...

Do Some Of The Hospitals That Use DQS Also Use Epic Or Will Epic Replace
Aug 08, 2012

DQS completely and the hospital will drop MQ.  Just curious about that.  It seems Epic is the way to go and was not sure if that can be interspersed with DQS or eliminate MQ altogether with DQS.  ...

About That TAA Program...
Jan 07, 2010

I know you have to be drawing unemployment to quality for this.  Does anyone know exactly what this is and what the benefits are?    ...

FTP Program
Mar 15, 2010

I had a company send me an IP address to take a test. Once I e-mailed them back and asked what in the world am I suppose to do with this, they told me I had to have a FTP program. I tried one and it confused me to no end. Does anyone have any ideas on FTP programs? Thanks a lot! ...

Yet ANOTHER New Program???
Jun 09, 2011

Is it just me, or is this Cornerstone BS this just another way to chip away at our paychecks?  ...

ASR Program
May 06, 2012

The abbreviation "q.d." is listed as one of the dangerous abbreviations and we are not supposed to use it, ever.  Yet when someone dictates the word "daily" in a report, ASR routinely substitutes "q.d." in its place.  This is just wrong and has to be corrected manually. ...

Does Anyone Have A Program Where We Can
Sep 04, 2012

These counts just seem awfully low to me for some reason..wouldnt be the first time they skimmed them...short of actually sitting and counting characters was wondering if there is a program out there that I could use ...