A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How many need to replace Windows XP - to continue working as MT?

Posted: Apr 06, 2014

Just wondered how much richer Bill Gates is going to get by forcing people to upgrade computers and/or software or risk getting viruses or hackers once Windows XP support is gone April 8. 

Bill Gates = Money mouth

Why should - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
Microsoft continue to support an operating system that is no longer adequate for most users and not even being sold anymore? It is outmoded and overtaken by new technology. It was a rational business decision to stop supporting it.

Bill Gates did not do this specifically to harm you or MTs in general. He's not even running the company anymore, so blaming him is foolish. It's just business. Get over it and get on with your life.

Bill Gates and Microsoft - Business

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you saying one of the richest men in the world makes no profit from Microsoft? If it is "outmoded" why are so many people still using it?

Not the OP but I have to mention you are EXTREMELY rude in your response. It was an innocent question and observation in the OP. Why do you feel the need to attack?

Twelve years is quite a run - see msg pls

[ In Reply To ..]
I think 12 years is quite a run for an OS. Why should they keep having to support it when bigger and better things are "out there." With all the OSs, how many can they support?

Many people still use Windows XP - It is a financial hardship to replace

[ In Reply To ..]
I know many older people use Windows XP and that is what they are familiar with. On top of that it is a financial hardship for many to go out and buy new software and/or computer. It seems Windows XP is the most popular as well because the other Windows versions seemed to have "glitches". Just think the way the economy is some won't be able to replace Windows XP.

I agree - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, I agree with that. I'm just not hostile towards big corporate people who work hard to make their money. They keep us "little guys" employed. Though, don't get me started on MT corporate...

I agree - Just Do It

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with those who say it is time to let go of this and move on. No one is forcing you to do anything, it is your choice to continue to work with an obsolete computer. You've had plenty of time to save/plan for this, Microsoft actually wanted to stop supporting XP once before several years ago. I upgraded to Windows 7 two years ago, so even Windows 7 is not new. It takes about 5 minutes to get up to speed on W7. I suggest doing it or you will be stuck with Windows 8, which from what I have read has a lot of problems. Bill Gates? It is not his fault; as someone pointed out he is no longer involved in the day to day running of Microsoft and he's not doing this to line his pockets. I don't know if you are aware of how much he gives back to the world community through the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. 12 years is a long time, stuff breaks or wears out, nothing lasts forever. Think of all the changes in 12 years: Smart phones and HD TV just to name a couple. You can get a new PC and get on a payment plan for probably around 20 a month. You can get one from Rent-A-Center or a similar place. You can get a refurb or a used PC from a computer shop. Change is difficult, just do it. I had the second issue of XP; I don't know if you remember how buggy version 1 was, it took Microsoft years to get that one right as well, Windows XP was not "perfect." It's time to say good-bye.

Most I know have Windows 7 or 8 or Vista. Microsoft - is a technology business so

[ In Reply To ..]
That's what they do - Upgrade and come out with bigger & better operating systems.

I remember when my XP died, I went shopping around for a new one and couldn't find one, I ended up getting a Vista. A couple years ago when I bought my laptop all I could Ind was Windows 8, so I ended up getting Windows 8. That's just the way it is.

I bought a refurbished computer, saved a bundle - sm - InkMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was looking at new ones but just could not bring myself to spend $600-700 (that is w/o a monitor which I did not need). While all the new bells ans whistles would have been nice, not necessary. So for a little over $200 I have a refurbished Dell with Window 7 (8 won't work for my jobs). In the process of setting it up now, pain to do as always since I have long list of programs to put on it since it comes with nothing but Win 7 pro (wanted pro so I could still run XP programs). Will take me a few days but will have it done soon I hope. Really hate getting a new computer, guess if all I used it for was surfing it would not be an issue but loading word, spell check, FTP, my platforms, line counter, voice player, virus protection, router, email, going to take a while to reset up everything. It is aggravating though since a lot of people use XP. Suppliers are making a killing right now especially on computers with Win 7.

I have only bought refurbs - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have never spent full price on a computer, not in years anyway. Always a refurb and always a Dell. You can go online. I guess I'm not allowed to mention which computer store to get it from is, but do your consumer research to see who has high ratings. The one I bought from for years had tech support for me and everything. They helped me set up when I had glitches and all that. I think my last Dell computer was under $90, including the shipping, but this was years ago. You do not have to purchase a monitor and keyboard. You can just purchase the tower.

My only issue - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
is that bad guys will check on updates for newer Windows OSs, then see if they can use those to make mischief on XP users' PCs.

as for that "how much richer," bit, i'm glad to see any one get "richer" through his own hard work, innovation & expansion.

Similar Messages:

When Do You Replace Your Keyboard
Jun 14, 2011

I'm trying to stockpile a 2-year supply (wishful thinking?) of Memorex TS1100 keyboards.  I don't think they are being made any more, so I find them on eBay. I use them untill all the print is off the letter keys, all the plastic is gone from several of the letters leaving the metal exposed, there is a piece missing on the space bar where my right thumb goes, and then I dump them.  Do you think I should them longer than this.  I've only ever had one STOP working (I ...

Does MT School Replace Experience?
Nov 19, 2009

Does having a diploma from an MT school allow you to apply at places that state "2 years experience required" etc. I have a year of experience just from the schools 800 transcription reports that I did in 2 months! ...

2-3 Newbies To Replace 1 Veteran MT
Nov 02, 2010

Just read another interesting article in that it is estimated that it will take 2-3 newbie MTs to replace 1 veteran MT.  Something all these corporate MTSOs better start thinking about.  Once they run all the veteran MTs off, find demand is shifting back to onshore transcription, then what are they going to do.  Even if they pay newbies lets say a mere 6 cpl...that's 18 cpl if it takes 3 to replace 1 veteran, and the veteran makes probably 9 cpl (maybe 10) so it is costing th ...

What Is This M Modal? Is It Going To Replace Docuscribe Or ? N/m
Nov 30, 2011

x ...

Need Recommendation To Replace SH Program...
May 29, 2012

I'm a Webmedx transplant.  Since early next year we will be unable to continue using Shorthand 10.0 program for word expansion, can someone recommend a good substitute that will be compatible with the Enterprise program and Escription?  Years ago I used PRD. Thanks in advance!     ...

How To Do A Find And Replace In Bayscribe?
Jul 16, 2012

Does anyone know how to do a find and replace in Bayscribe? I'm only able to "find" TIA ...

Looking For A New Keyboard To Replace MS Natural Elite.
Jun 30, 2013

Has anyone found a good replacement for their Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard? I'm trying to find something with the same, or very similar, keypad layout. I have a Kinesis Freestyle and just cannot get used to the placement. Very frustrating. I then bought a Microsoft Ergo 4000 and found out afterward many people (myself included) are complaining about a design flaw with the spacebar. An Amazon seller has a Natural Elite for $189, a bit out of my price range right now. So, if anyone has an ...

Anyone Know Why This Text Is In MS Word Find And Replace Box
Dec 16, 2014

When I use Control + F and the Find and Replace box opens up, why is this text already in there? [0-9] {1,} ...

Computer Died....anyone Replace A Power Supply ? - Sm
Jun 27, 2010

Woke up to my computer dead (2.5 years old).....shut it down last night, no problems.  Did not notice if the blinking light(of the power button) was on or not last night when I went to bed.  In any case it was off this morning which is not the norm.  DOA.  Tried the obvious, unplugged, replugged in different outlet, etc.  Nada.  Have another old Dell here (has hard drive issues not power supply)  thought maybe I could switch out the power supplies, don ...

Call-In Dictation System - To Replace Dying Lanier 800
Apr 28, 2010

Looking to replace dying Lanier 800 Call-In System.  Any suggestions?  Any warnings against particular brands?  Approximately 35 dictators, 5 on-site MTs, average of 2,600 minutes monthly of call-in.  Thanks!! ...

AUTOCORRECT - How To Coph From Windows XP To Windows 7
Aug 22, 2013

HOW TO COPY AUTOCORRECT FROM WINDOWS XP TO WINDOWS 7 ...

Windows 7 And Using Windows XP Mode
Aug 05, 2011

Has anyone ever wanted to work for a company that only used Windows XP and you had Windows 7 but could virtually move to XP mode?  Could you download their software on the XP mode side and get it to work?  I had a job interview where their software only worked on XP.  I thought I could do that, but I had to also have Word 2003.  I only have 2010, but it has the compatability pack for 2003, BUT the client's software couldn't differentiate that.  If I maybe bough ...

ShortCut For Windows With Windows 7 Or 8?
May 14, 2014

Anyone using ShortCut for Windows with Windows 7 or 8? ...

Copying From Windows XP To Windows 7
Jan 31, 2015

I've done this before with no problems but for some reason I can't figure it out today. . . I want to copy my Stedman's Electronic Dictionary from XP to Win 7. I don't know why I am having problems with this . . . I copied my Stedman's electronic surgical words, abbreviations, etc., about 6 months ago just fine using my thumb drive. I don't have the original discs with me. Any help would be appreciated! ...

"Replace As You Type" Will NOT Stay Checked...sm
Oct 29, 2009

in Word 2003.  I just reformatted about a month ago and have been fighting with this issue since then.  Every time I go into a new report, I have to recheck it but it doesn't always mean it will hold throughout the whole report.  This is SOOOO annoying.  I've done the research thoroughly and still cannot find any solutions.  Anybody dealt with this before and know how to correct it?    All help will be GREATLY appreciated so I can stop scaring my cats ...

Do Some Of The Hospitals That Use DQS Also Use Epic Or Will Epic Replace
Aug 08, 2012

DQS completely and the hospital will drop MQ.  Just curious about that.  It seems Epic is the way to go and was not sure if that can be interspersed with DQS or eliminate MQ altogether with DQS.  ...

Anyone Use DQS On Windows 7 Yet?
Dec 16, 2009

I want to go to my parents house this weekend for Christmas and I have to work.  They live about 4 hours away so I was just going to take my foot pedal with me and download DQS on my dad's computer.  He is nerd so he has this really cool computer so I am not worried about DQS not running on it or anything.  I was just wondering about how DQS runs with windows 7.  I would figure it would just run the same since it is internet based.  I just would hate to not be able ...

Has Anyone Tried DQS With Windows 7?
Jan 05, 2010

x ...

Windows 7 64-bit OS And DQS 6.1
Sep 20, 2010

I have read other posts on this site with respect to this subject but just wondering if anyone using Windows 7 is able to use DQS 6.1 64-bit OS with it. Every machine you purchase comes preloaded with it and I want to buy a new machine but if Windows 7 64-bit doesn't work properly, I won't even bother yet. I heard from support that is unsure right now as they are still working on other things, i.e., problems with 6.1.   Thanks for your input!   ...

DQS And Windows 7
Nov 03, 2010

Hi All!   I am considering buying a new personal PC, which are all loaded with Windows 7.  I can't find info anywhere as to the requirements for the operating system compatible with the newer DocQscribe software, or are we still stuck with XP? Thanks for any help! ...

Windows 7 -- 64-bit And 32-bit
Nov 22, 2010

Can maybe someone answer my question. I purchased a new computer last year with the new Windows 7 home premium operating system. For the Internet Explorer, I have two icons, one on my desktop that strictly says 64-bit, plus there is an IE icon at the bottom of my toolbar that uses 32-bit for some sites (I think because Adobe Flash Player is not compatible with 64-bit OS, is what I was told by an HP tech person). Some companies advertising on the Job Seeker board says can use Windows 7, 32- ...

Windows 7/64
Aug 05, 2011

Does docqscribe work now with windows 64-bit? ...

Windows 7 Help
Dec 19, 2011

I received a new computer from the Q which I am sure you all know has windows 7 but how do you maximize a screen that was minimized?  In XP I had always had the teamwork screen minimized and readily seen on the taskbar so all I had to do was click on it and it brought up teamwork ready to be clilicked on to sign me in for my shift after I had a job downloaded  but when I minimize the teamwork window in windows 7 it disappears from the screen and I have to click on the icon on the deskt ...

No More Windows XP
Jul 09, 2012

I went to MicroCenter the other day to look at computers. Anyway the salesman told me that Windows XP is going obsolete (somewhat) in 18 months.  That's when Windows Update will no longer continue security updates for Windows XP.  Anyone see that as a problem? ...

Windows 7 Pro
Oct 10, 2012

What is a fair price for this software.  I will need it if I take a job with 3-T.  I looked online and found a huge price range, 65-300 dollars.  Thanks. ...

Does Anyone Have Windows 8? Do You Like It? Sm
Oct 30, 2012

I'm buying a computer today and the only options are Windows 7 and 8.  Have you heard anything good or bad regarding either one?  Appreciate any info.  ...

Windows 8 And DQS
Jan 08, 2013

Just an FYI to anyone thinking of purchasing a laptop, I saw where previously it was stated that Windows 7 programs should work with Windows 8.  That's not true with DQS 7.1.  It will not load with Windows 8.  Support confirmed this, as did my CSM.  After I actually bought it, of course.  If anyone knows a work-around that would make DQS load onto it, please let me know. ...

Does Anybody Have Windows 7 That They Use With
Mar 01, 2013

BeyondTxt. I bought a new computer with Windows 7 and after I transcribe a few jobs I start getting errors when trying to upload.  Been working with tech support off and on all day long.  Anybody else have any problems with BXTX and Windows 7?   ...

Going From Windows 7 To Windows 8
Sep 04, 2013

I am looking at new computers to replace the a desktop using Windows 7.  Has anyone done this recently and gone to Windows 8 and used the Easy Transfer method for loading autocorrects, macros and autotext created in MS Office 2007?  I am my own business and do not work for online companies.   ...

What To Do If You Have Windows XP
Feb 19, 2014

I am the furtherest thing from an IT person there is.  I do not touch this computer unless it is for work.  I have Windows XP.  Am I going to have to switch to something different in April?  How do I do that.  I know a local computer person who could do it, but I do not even know what to ask him to do.  Also, if I change to something different, will I lose everything on my computer? ..... emails?  My Documents, which is extensive.  Will I lose my MM operat ...