A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Working at these terribly low-paying MT jobs. - wondering

Posted: Dec 09, 2012

I have a couple of questions.  What happens if you don't make at least minimum wage as an employee?  A few questions down, it is calculated around $5/hr if the poster makes what she says.  Do they fire you if you are under minimum wage?  How do they keep MTs at that low, low rate?

Also someone pointed out "it's even as an IC."  Curious (I'm really confused) why it matters if you are IC or an employee.  Obviously there are benefits, but aren't you taxed the same?

here's a good mtstars thread regarding IC vs employee - link provided

[ In Reply To ..]
see link

Minimum wage IC vs employee - pookbina

[ In Reply To ..]
I know when I worked for Nuance and you didn't make enough for minimum wage and since they only hired employees they had to do what they called make-up pay which apparently the company didn't like to do, so I am sure that was counted against you. You had to be at a certain speed too of so many lines per hour. I had never heard of anything like that unless I lost my good paying IC job with a company and went to Nuance. Needless to say, I did not stay at Nuance. I don't know about an IC but since you are considered self-employed, I would say they don't, the employer, have to worry about whether you make minimum wage or not. This kind of thing was never heard of for an MT until speech came along.

Does anyone know what part-time line min's usually are? - MN

[ In Reply To ..]
I need to make sure I can make min wage with my new job before they can me! I don't want to ask them what the minimum lines counts are for part-time status because I don't want to alert them to the fact I might not be making min wage. Ideas? thanks
It is whatever the MTSO wants it to be. And you have wrong - mind set. Dont think you might SM
[ In Reply To ..]
give them the idea you wont make minimums. I would ask cause I would want to know how much OVER I could do, and why shouldnt the MTSO think that is why you are asking, too. Ask if they have production incentives. That will tell you what you want to know, what lines do they expect, and you will be planting the seed that you are a great MT who expects to do over the minimum.
minimum wage - pookbina
[ In Reply To ..]
Honestly, this just shouldn't even be happening with MTs, us wondering if we can even make minimum wage or not. How shameful.

How this company avoids paying minimum wage - seekingsolace

[ In Reply To ..]
At my former company, you were regularly told to lie on your timesheet if you didn't have the lines to qualify for the company not to have to pay minimum wage. They required 1500 lines a day and if you didn't make that, you were to add your lines together and then divide by 187.5 and claim you worked whatever number that came out to be. So, if you had 1200 lines and you divide that by 187.5 you were to put on your timesheet that you worked 6.4 hours so HR wouldn't raise a stink even though you actually sat there for your full 8 hours, but maybe you're not making the line count because of a lack of work or editing their terrible speech wreck which was never compliant with QA or pages of account specifics you had to make sure with which to comply. If HR made a stink because they had to supplement and pay minimum wage...that was an issue that either landed you as a part timer or unemployed.

"so HR wouldn't raise a stink" - why not BCC HR - copies on emails about this. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
z

I worked for a company - that did this and

[ In Reply To ..]
they did it by phone every 2 weeks starting right after you were hired. So it was not in writing. This was part of their "mentoring" program. I did not last long. When I left no one noticed for weeks.

My company does that to me, too. Similar line about - HR, too. Maybe we work at the same place. - S.M.

[ In Reply To ..]
Not only do I think what they're doing is illegal, but it's really demoralizing to work 8-10 hours a day, and have to put on your time sheet that you only worked 5 hours, just to comply with their stupid LPH requirement, which was recently raised. I'm sure the only reason the LPH requirement was raised was so that they could avoid paying minimum wage.

Minimum wage is a US labor requirement for a REASON! It protects workers from unscrupulous employers. And yet, NO BIG SURPRISE, MTSOs appear to have found a way around it.

Meanwhile, we can't live up to their unattainable "standards", and now we're below minimum wage most of the time. I'm just waiting for the next shoe to drop: When they tell us that because we're not working 40-hour weeks (at least on paper, anyway!), that we no longer qualify for health insurance.

that is, in fact, illegal -- go to the labor board! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Best Paying Jobs
Mar 01, 2014

I have been a working MT since 1989.   I make $400-500 a week.   I work approximately 6 hours  a day for this.    Is this an accurate pay?    I would like to hear from other MTs and what are the best paying companies to work for.    ...

Ten Lowest-Paying Jobs In America
Jun 05, 2011

If you are making less than $8.91 per hour at medical transcription, you make less money per hour than:   Fast Food Cook - $8.91/hr Food Prep Worker/Server - $8.95/hr Dishwasher - $8.98/hr Hair Shampooer - $9.20/hr Counter Attendant, coffee shop - $9.27/hr Dining Room/Cafeteria Helper - $9.29/hr Restaurant Hostess - $9.42/hr Amusement Park Attendant - $9.50/hr Cashier - $9.52/hr Farm Laborer - $9.64/hr   Source:  Forbes.com     ...

Easy High-Paying Jobs
Mar 10, 2012

Not saying anyone would ever possibly want to get OUT of MT, but if there should be some lunatics on the board who are thinking this way, well...     ...

If They Keep Cutting Benefits, Eventually, We'll Be Paying Them For The Honor Of Working For Th
Sep 10, 2013

Tax Question. I Got Done Working For A Small MTSO Last January But She Was Late In Paying Me The La
Dec 26, 2009

so I did not get the checks until sometime in January/Feb.  She never sent my 1099 on time when I worked for her so I doubt I will even get one this year unless she decides to say she paid me more than she really did (which I would not put past her).  Do I have to claim the money she paid me in 2009 even though I should have received it in 2008??  With the two paid in 2009 that should have been paid in 2008 ($488.25) and the two that were supposed to be paid in 2009 ($418.25).&nbs ...

Working 2 Jobs
Aug 30, 2011

Just curious, you know misery loves company, how many others are working a FT and a PT job in MT.  Any keys to survival? ...

How Many Of You Are Working 2 Jobs?
Jul 20, 2012

Do any of you work for Nuance (or other bigger companies) and M*Modal at the same time?  Is it hard to balance?  Is it worth it?  ...

We Should Be Able To Get Jobs Working For
Mar 14, 2015

With all the mistakes I find on news articles and even the tickers that come across the screen. I've been at this job waaayyy too long. ...

Is Anybody Working And Getting Random Jobs From Different Accounts?
Jan 10, 2010

Just venting a little.  While I do appreciate being able to work and not getting NJAk, I am a little frustrated getting every other job from 2 or 3 new and different acounts.  Do they really expect me to make line count like that?  I know there is a better way to distribute and get the work done within TAT.  I mean really.... sigh. Looks like the forbidden "national pools" coming back.  If my regular accounts have no work, then why oh why cant that just give me ONE that ...

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

Paying For Course
May 28, 2013

Has anyone found any type of loan to pay for your coding programs at Andrews or Career Step that has lower payments than the school payment plans? I'm not saying their price is unreasonable. I just can't afford the payments or to pay outright.   Thanks, Kat ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

We Will All End Up Paying For Benchmark KB Etc!!!!
Mar 11, 2010

So we are all expecting to get the Benchmark KB etc etc....but did anyone but me notice that it says for 2010? I will bet that that means we will have it free for the remainder of 2010 and then have to pay something to keep it after 2010. ...

SS Paying Early
Jan 21, 2011

Waiting with baited breath for someone to repost all of the SS pays early testimonies.  cracking me up - its always good to laugh uncontrollably. anyone ever read a P&P manual? ignorance is bliss.  ...

Paying To Being An MT - Worth It?
Jul 18, 2011

Hello forum users! I am currently very interested in the MT field.  I am a fast typist, excellent speller, I have a good grasp of grammar, etc.  I am eyeing a course offered online, it seems professional and excellent and all that.  The whole thing seems perfect for me!  I would like to work from home and make my own hours while doing this. However, I recently spoke to a neighbor who is an MT, and she is losing her job to a machine.  She also claims that her MT friend ...

Any Companies Paying 9 Cpl Or Above? Sm
Oct 05, 2011

I've been looking at the job ads and have noticed a trend of very low cpl being offered.  Are there still any companies out there paying 9 or above?  I'm tired of wasting my time testing for companies only to find out during the interview process that they're only willing to pay 7 or 8 cpl.  Thanks! ...

Is The Q Paying Every Other Friday Now?
Dec 27, 2011

It used to be twice a month so I'm wondering if the every other Friday is true?  TIA ...

Is 3-T Paying For Windows 7 Pro?
Oct 16, 2012

I have to pay for it and yet others hired for 3-T say the company is paying for it.  Interesting.... ...

You'd Think They Would Get Tired Of Paying So Much UE
Jan 20, 2013

Wouldn't that give somebody in payroll or human resources a CLUE that there is a problem? ...

Not Paying For Spaces
Feb 04, 2013

I've seen it posted in various threads that companies are not paying for typing spaces. I can't get my head around that. What's their rationale? It's a keystroke, just like any letter or number. ...

Paying Taxes As An IC?
Feb 24, 2015

I recently started working as an independent contractor for a transcription company and understand that I have to take care of the tax side of it myself. I'm new to this and am not sure what I need to do as far as paying taxes go. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! ...

Paying Taxes, I'm Freakin Out
Feb 24, 2010

I am about to do my taxes for 2009.  I had a bunch of money saved up to pay them, but I fell on hard times (little to no typing jobs) and had to use that money to pay bills.  What is going to happen?  I made 11,000 last year.  How much can I expect to owe?  What if I don't have the money????? ...

FUTURENET TECH NOT PAYING
Jan 28, 2011

Did anyone else get the run around from the accounting department at FutureNet Tech today?   They normally pay every other Friday but when no deposit showed up and I inquired, the accounting department first said it would be a little later that normal then when pressed further for exactly when should I expect the pay I have been promised (promised to be paid today!) I was told it would be available tomorrow.   This is not a good sign and while I would rather like to believe t ...

Not Paying For Spaces...how Many Other Companies Now Do This?
Jun 28, 2011

My company is no longer including spaces in the line count.  The line rate has gone up a bit, but not enough to compensate for that loss in the character count. (My line count  has dropped drastically.)  Are other companies going to this new method of compensation?  I know several years ago, when I first starting MT, there was a lot of "stink" about some companies only counting "black" characters, and those were the companies everyone stayed away from.  Ju ...

Highest Paying Companies?
Nov 07, 2011

Hi MTs, Does anyone have information on the hightest paying companies?  9, 10, 11, 12 cpl?  Thanks for your input.  $20 to $25 an houir?  Is it true that voice editing is the pits? ...

Paying A Company To Work For Them?
Mar 05, 2012

I have never heard of this before.  They take money out of every paycheck (no matter how long you work for them) to pay for licensing fees?  What's up with this? ...

Exactly WHEN Did They Stop Paying Holidays?
Jun 04, 2012

I was hired last December.   I could have sworn the recruiter said "7 paid holidays" and 25% pay increase (1 cpl increase - big friggin whoop) for working a holiday.  ...

Where Are The Good Paying Positions?
Jun 29, 2012

I did not spend 35 years doing transcription to take a job paying 5, 6 or 7 cpl.  I would rather be a greeter at Walmart than to sink this low.  What the devil is happening in the transcription world.  It seems like all MTSOs are going bonkers. ...

Fox Transcribe And Not Paying After Termination
Jul 16, 2012

GRRRRR!!!! Just venting about this company and their lack of communication and not paying in a timely manner.  Last week, I did approximately 4-5 jobs for them.  One was EXTREMELY difficult and probably the job that got me termated.   Pay was supposed to be in today via Paypal.  Called the office and spoke to "M," whom of course, gave me the same "song and dance" that he pretty much just handled clients.  Sent an email to tech support, trying to get answers to no av ...

Due To The Difficulty Of The Account, They Are Paying
Aug 28, 2012

4.5 for editing and 8 for ST?!?!  They think that is a good pay rate apparently!!  I wish that place had a dislike button!! ...