A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Highest paying companies? - lambcelot

Posted: Nov 07, 2011

Hi MTs,

Does anyone have information on the hightest paying companies?  9, 10, 11, 12 cpl?  Thanks for your input.  $20 to $25 an houir?  Is it true that voice editing is the pits?

AHAHAHAHA !!! OMG, you're kidding... right? - LMAO

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the laugh! You must be new around here. If you've spent any amount of time on this board at all you would have both of your questions answered. 9, 10, 11, or 12 cpl/$20-25 an hour haven't been heard of in this profession in YEARS. Seriously ... do some reading.

Really...it is possible - Yes

[ In Reply To ..]
I average $28 (for problem reports) to $40 an hour depending on the doctor I am editing. 6.5 VR and 12 cpl. You just have to find the right company that is willing to still pay a decent wage.

my guess even your company pays only you that amount. - not the norm out there by far NM

[ In Reply To ..]

x

yes, it's possible - ambieMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Company I'm with pays 8.7 under 5000 lines a week, 9.3 for 5000 and over, and 10 cents for any amount over 6500 lines a week (7 days).
P.S. - ambieMT
[ In Reply To ..]
The company I work for is IC, straight transcription, AND require 98% or better quality quarterly for production bonuses. Agree, if an ez kick-back job is the fantasy transcription is not the answer.

Pay scale - Elocin

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, you can still find work making decent money. It depends on how long you have been doing it and who you work for.

Average $20 per hour, all straight transcription, no VR - AnaPhylaxis

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of the dictators are very good so I can go as high as $25 an hour, but then there are a handful of REAL challenges that knock me down to about $15 an hour, so I average about $20 an hour most of the time.

I would like to point out though that this is all standard transcription, no voice recognition (and no plans to do so), with the same account and physicians on a daily basis. I also have a very generous expander program which helps to keep my line count up, too.

It's not always easy but, yes, if you find the right "fit," it can be done.

You can only speak for yourself, not everyone - highest paying companies

[ In Reply To ..]
I make 9 cpl for straight typing and I average 7.8 cpl for editing. I handily make $25+ an hour.

There are those jobs out there. You might have to kiss a few frogs first, but look for the small-to-mid size companies.

Meridian pays 11cpl for some of their work types. I think voice was around 9.
You might try there.

Must be a Suit, trying to make us feel bad. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

The norm now... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
is far below that. As an example, I applied earlier this year and was offered positions with 6 companies. I have 20 years of experience in almost every work type including acute care. My job offers ranged from 7 to 9.25 cpl for straight typing (and the 9.25 was a company that I knew is 95% VR at 4 cpl so I didn't take that). Just curious who would have told you that companies commonly pay 9-12 cpl in this day and age? I hope it wasn't a school.

normal pay - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I have a feeling this person is looking into this as a profession. I have 25 years experience and I am an RN. I started in this profession to be home with my children. It served me well back then. Now my children are grown and my experience is so outdated that I cannot get back into nursing. My pay is 8 cents straight typing, and 4 cents editing, and I am at the highest tier possible, and can do all work types, all accents. Sigh... Looking for another profession and retraining.

Tks for positive answers - the rest of you..... - lambcelot

[ In Reply To ..]
I was getting 10 cents a line but the hospitals went to VR. Before that I got 12 cents (small company). A suggestion for all the negative comments, why not get your own accounts instead of whining about the big companies? You can mail out letters and get accounts that way, or make phone calls. Google has long lists of physicians, hospitals, clinics, etc. If you ouflow enough, you will get something in. Try to stop being such an effect of everything and be more cause? The negativity makes others feel bad ans negative too. Is that what you really want to do? Thanks to the couple who answered.

The truth HURTS - KJ

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think anyone was really trying to be anything but real about the situation. These replies are coming from people who have been in this profession for many years, as I have, and we are the ones who have witnessed the decline in this profession we have lived and loved, put our all into, etc., realizing now that even after all of that we are no longer able to support ourselves, with many of us facing the challenges of changing careers (many of us now middle-aged-never dreamed we would be going through this at our ages). It is only the truth, and yes it HURTS, but for anyone thinking about getting into this profession we would be wrong to not let them know how it really is. I'm just saying!
It is what it is - momofjets
[ In Reply To ..]
I wish anyone entering this profession the best of luck. Been in it for 16 years now and have 7 YO twins and one of them is special needs. I am 46 so still hanging in there so that I can have the flexibility I need with their school, etc. I look at it as a tradeoff for babysitter costs, work attire, etc. I have thought about going into another career, just as I did when I discovered transcription, but for now I know where my help comes from so just taking it a day at a time.

I dont want own accts. Dont want to deal with Dr, office staff - 24/7 work, 24 hr stats, billing, etc nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

eww, testy. I for one have no time to handle my own accounts. - thankyouverymuch for your redundancy.NM

[ In Reply To ..]

more truth than you want to hear probably... - anon again

[ In Reply To ..]
I started in 1987, when Medical Records Corp. was owned by its original entrepeneur, a man named Steve Martin. I made 4 cents/line on a Selectric, and my boss offered me the job AT THE INTERVIEW, for a "guarantee rate" of $7.25 per hour. That was 25 cents more than my current job at the time, and about double the minimum wage back then. I got pregnant two weeks after starting the job, and became one of the very first "work-at-home" MT's for that company. My dad bought my first computer, an IBM with two floppy drives and less "RAM" memory than you find on a cheap prepaid cell phone these days. He invested in me so that I could be home with my babies. Little did he or I realize that I was going to become a piece-work slave to oppressive employers.

MRC was eventually swallowed up into the squid via Transcriptions, Ltd. and "The MRC Group" before it become MedQuist, then CBay.

That was really long-winded... whew...

The point? Oh yeah, I had one...

A starting MT these days who can "copy-type" 80 WPM, spell well, and has a good ear for multiple dialects and accents cannot make double minimum wage as her starting pay anymore. An MT with now 25 years experience is LUCKY to make double minimum wage on a really good day that probably only had 6 hours in it due to lack of work or fatigue from being old with arthritic hands and a bad back.

Average line rate has doubled since 1987 (technically, it tripled but retracted). However, average hourly pay rate has not done anything of the sort.

You really have to consider all angles of the math before considering any particular line rate to be good or bad. If 1987 were now, a "good" line rate would be at least 15 to 20 cents per line.

Not all doom and gloom - justanmt

[ In Reply To ..]
There are companies that pay more than 8 cpl. I make more than that AND I am averaging $150 to $200 in an 8-hour shift. I suggest people not listen to all the negative posts regarding every company. I took a chance with one who gets negative reviews and I LOVE IT. I'm glad I went with my belly on this one! I can't promise that the work will stay plentiful, but I have been here for 7 months and am doing great.

Really? People wanting jobs, work, more than 8 cpl - justanmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I am sitting here in disbelief at an e-mail I received regarding my above post.

Someone inquiring what company I work for to make more than 8 cpl - next sentence, "I hope you don't work 3rd shift for the money." Really??

You people come on here and complain about not having work, not making any money, but you are not willing to do what it takes to make the money. Even if I did work 3rd shift, SO WHAT? What if it's a job working weekends?? SO WHAT?? What if it is a little of both?? So what??

I WILL DO WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE THE MONEY I NEED TO MAKE TO SUPPORT MY FAMILY AND KEEP A ROOF OVER OUR HEADS!!

Quit coming here and complaining if you are not willing to give a little bit of yourself to work weekends, 2nds, 3rds, etc. If you are only willing to work Monday-Friday, you deserve to run out of work! That's the PROBLEM AND WHY OUR JOBS ARE GOING OVERSEAS. They can't find people to work the night shift, so theY HIRE OVERSEASS TO COVER IT. Sit there and watch the NJA screen. TATs need to be met no matter what time of day it is. I have found that if you are flexible with your company, they will be flexible with you. Don't use the excuse about kids, either, been there, done that, too! I'm still doing it.

I do ACUTE CARE WORK, HOSPITAL WORK. Patients need care around the clock!! I do know that on my account there are 5 positions open but it's not bankers' hours. I can tell you the work is unlimited and lots of $$$ to be made. I'll take advantage of it if YOU don't want it.

The lazy, unqualified MTs ruin it for the qualified, motivated hard working MTs - That is the main problem
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't want to oversimplify, but one huge problem that we have right now is lazy, unqualified MTs. They should never have been doing this kind of work in the first place, because it interferes with their life and, by the way, requires skills they don't have. They have somehow lucked into a job, usually a bad one, do it poorly if they bother to show up to do it at all, and people say MTs are worth less because of these MT who make us all look less than we are. I'm tired of them. I wish they would all quit.
This is HUGE and impactful - mymt
[ In Reply To ..]
People want to scream about offshore concerns but the reality is it really IS the lazy, think-they-are-qualified-but-they-are-not MTs who have driven the profession to the current state. So many MTs who can't bother to open a book to check a term or who think following acct specs is a suggestion they can ignore, etc. Don't get me started because this is a HUGE rant for me. So much (not all) of the whining we read on this board is because an MT can't cut it and then they blame the MTSO for having "rules." Give me a break!
Personally I'm glad that the field is being weeded out appropriately - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to wonder how in the world some of the people I knew and liked ever kept a job. I'm thinking of one right now who taught MT. Her skills were horrible! Her only legitimate skill was that she knew how to talk the talk. She told everyone that she was a great MT and they believed her for years. I can't tell you how many unqualified MTs I've known through the years who had people convinced that they were qualified, just because they said they were. Times have changed. More is required. There are now ways to test those skills. We're seeing quite a few who are falling short of the mark. That's okay. They can move on to something else, leaving more jobs for the rest of us.
Good luck....you're job will be taken by an indian, too!! nm - opposed to infighting
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
TOTALLY agree - cream rises to the top
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm another one who is happy to see the "posers" are finally having reality dealt to them. As to the person who threatened India - those of us who really DO have the skills don't have a dang thing to worry about from India. Finally the MTs who played at being a transcriptionist are finding out they can't keep up the scam.
hot air rises to the top as well. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
:). However, totally agree field has many people of - low competency and low standards. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I also hope as many of those are weeded out as soon as possible. Sadly, I'm afraid that, instead, the pool of workers will be kept a large as possible to keep rates as low as possible.

Newbies, you're not in the "low competency" group I'm thinking of. Many oldies, for instance, skated along for decades on good typing skills, were valued for them, but never did good work, just a lot of slop.
Exactly. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
lazy MTs? - minimumwageworker
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't imagine a lazy MT can last long in this business. WE GET PAID BY THE LINE! If you're lazy you couldn't last as you would go down to minimum wage and then you'd be flagged by the higher ups and fired!! These MTSOs are not going to keep on someone who is lazy. They are only looking at their bottom line and lazy certainly wont cut it.
unfortunately, many do last in this business - for a variety of reasons
[ In Reply To ..]
Not long after I was hired at my last job, we got a mass e mail from the team lead explaining that the current low work situation was due to overhiring. They had a number of MTs who didn't show up for their shifts, didn't do the lines they were required to do, etc. The company tried to work with them and assist them in any way possible for what sounds like much too long and yet apparently didn't fire any of them. They had had to hire people to take care of their accounts because there were a couple that had gotten so badly out of TAT they were in danger of losing the account entirely.

This is a company that does no off shoring, so these were good old American MTs who were jeopardizing EVERYONE'S job by messing around with theirs.

So, yes, there are lazy MTs that need to be weeded out - just like there are lazy people in EVERY occupation that need to be weeded out - and yes, they do still manage to make some money, even if it's just pocket money because they're a SAHM and they have a second income.

It completely messes up the curve for those of us who treat this as a professional career and don't have a second income in the house hold.
There are lots of lazy MTs who barely manage to show up for work - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
good! They wont be taking our lines...nm - nonlazymt
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Amen, sister! - I work weekends, too
[ In Reply To ..]
No message. Just kudos.
To JustanMT - lambcelot
[ In Reply To ..]
AMEN

high pay - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you have to be able to spell the word hour to even make 8 cpl.

She's actually looking for the 'hightest' paying jobs, nn - Just sayin

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Any Companies Paying 9 Cpl Or Above? Sm
Oct 05, 2011

I've been looking at the job ads and have noticed a trend of very low cpl being offered.  Are there still any companies out there paying 9 or above?  I'm tired of wasting my time testing for companies only to find out during the interview process that they're only willing to pay 7 or 8 cpl.  Thanks! ...

Not Paying For Spaces...how Many Other Companies Now Do This?
Jun 28, 2011

My company is no longer including spaces in the line count.  The line rate has gone up a bit, but not enough to compensate for that loss in the character count. (My line count  has dropped drastically.)  Are other companies going to this new method of compensation?  I know several years ago, when I first starting MT, there was a lot of "stink" about some companies only counting "black" characters, and those were the companies everyone stayed away from.  Ju ...

Highest Producers
Jul 24, 2013

Just wondering if anyone else is as curious as me.  When we get the quarterly newsletters it always has the highest producers.  Just wondering how many lines they produce?  I produce a good bit but never have qualified for a high producer and so was very curious.  Anyone out there have an idea? ...

Highest Line Counts....
Jul 19, 2010

My highest line count in a day is 2012.... I am wondering what everyone else's record is and how long it took them to get it ?????  ...

Highest Line Counts
Nov 08, 2010

Please share highest line in 8 hour day with VR, but no normals.  My highest was 2300, but range from 1700 to 2300 usually.  I've been at for about 6 months now and need to know where I should be and where I can potentially be.   Thanks ...

Highest Lines In A Week?
Feb 07, 2014

Just curious as to the highest lines in a week you can edit/type.   My highest has been around 13,000.  ...

What Is Highest Line Rate For VR???
Apr 14, 2014

I have been an MT for 35 years and just this year my company switched over to VR (M-Modal program).  I am making 4-1/2 cents per line.  Is this average.  How much is the highest line rate a company will pay???  Any help appreciated. ...

Anyone Who Works At Accentus Make Their Highest Pay Lvl?
Jun 22, 2012

Not STAR team, but leve 4--200+ transcription, 325+ for VR? Thanks. Have another offer that is straight transcription. Don't know what to do. ...

Please Help, Which Report Is Highest Level Of Priority? See Message
Mar 11, 2010

This is a question from a company and just wondering ER report, consult, op report, or preop H&P? ...

Before Nuance, What Was The Highest You Were Paid Per Line/digital Minute/etc.
Oct 07, 2013

I'm just curious, I've been in this business for a long time now and haven't seen a raise in QUITE some time, but I sure as he!! saw higher paychecks than I see here. So, I'm curious. What's the highest rate you've been paid to be an MT? What were your daily requirements too, if you can remember? I'll start, my highest was $2.05 per digital minute and we were only required to do 65 digital minutes per 8-hour shift.  ...

Paying For Course
May 28, 2013

Has anyone found any type of loan to pay for your coding programs at Andrews or Career Step that has lower payments than the school payment plans? I'm not saying their price is unreasonable. I just can't afford the payments or to pay outright.   Thanks, Kat ...

We Will All End Up Paying For Benchmark KB Etc!!!!
Mar 11, 2010

So we are all expecting to get the Benchmark KB etc etc....but did anyone but me notice that it says for 2010? I will bet that that means we will have it free for the remainder of 2010 and then have to pay something to keep it after 2010. ...

SS Paying Early
Jan 21, 2011

Waiting with baited breath for someone to repost all of the SS pays early testimonies.  cracking me up - its always good to laugh uncontrollably. anyone ever read a P&P manual? ignorance is bliss.  ...

Paying To Being An MT - Worth It?
Jul 18, 2011

Hello forum users! I am currently very interested in the MT field.  I am a fast typist, excellent speller, I have a good grasp of grammar, etc.  I am eyeing a course offered online, it seems professional and excellent and all that.  The whole thing seems perfect for me!  I would like to work from home and make my own hours while doing this. However, I recently spoke to a neighbor who is an MT, and she is losing her job to a machine.  She also claims that her MT friend ...

Is The Q Paying Every Other Friday Now?
Dec 27, 2011

It used to be twice a month so I'm wondering if the every other Friday is true?  TIA ...

Is 3-T Paying For Windows 7 Pro?
Oct 16, 2012

I have to pay for it and yet others hired for 3-T say the company is paying for it.  Interesting.... ...

You'd Think They Would Get Tired Of Paying So Much UE
Jan 20, 2013

Wouldn't that give somebody in payroll or human resources a CLUE that there is a problem? ...

Not Paying For Spaces
Feb 04, 2013

I've seen it posted in various threads that companies are not paying for typing spaces. I can't get my head around that. What's their rationale? It's a keystroke, just like any letter or number. ...

Best Paying Jobs
Mar 01, 2014

I have been a working MT since 1989.   I make $400-500 a week.   I work approximately 6 hours  a day for this.    Is this an accurate pay?    I would like to hear from other MTs and what are the best paying companies to work for.    ...

Paying Taxes As An IC?
Feb 24, 2015

I recently started working as an independent contractor for a transcription company and understand that I have to take care of the tax side of it myself. I'm new to this and am not sure what I need to do as far as paying taxes go. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! ...

Paying Taxes, I'm Freakin Out
Feb 24, 2010

I am about to do my taxes for 2009.  I had a bunch of money saved up to pay them, but I fell on hard times (little to no typing jobs) and had to use that money to pay bills.  What is going to happen?  I made 11,000 last year.  How much can I expect to owe?  What if I don't have the money????? ...

FUTURENET TECH NOT PAYING
Jan 28, 2011

Did anyone else get the run around from the accounting department at FutureNet Tech today?   They normally pay every other Friday but when no deposit showed up and I inquired, the accounting department first said it would be a little later that normal then when pressed further for exactly when should I expect the pay I have been promised (promised to be paid today!) I was told it would be available tomorrow.   This is not a good sign and while I would rather like to believe t ...

Paying A Company To Work For Them?
Mar 05, 2012

I have never heard of this before.  They take money out of every paycheck (no matter how long you work for them) to pay for licensing fees?  What's up with this? ...

Exactly WHEN Did They Stop Paying Holidays?
Jun 04, 2012

I was hired last December.   I could have sworn the recruiter said "7 paid holidays" and 25% pay increase (1 cpl increase - big friggin whoop) for working a holiday.  ...

Where Are The Good Paying Positions?
Jun 29, 2012

I did not spend 35 years doing transcription to take a job paying 5, 6 or 7 cpl.  I would rather be a greeter at Walmart than to sink this low.  What the devil is happening in the transcription world.  It seems like all MTSOs are going bonkers. ...

Fox Transcribe And Not Paying After Termination
Jul 16, 2012

GRRRRR!!!! Just venting about this company and their lack of communication and not paying in a timely manner.  Last week, I did approximately 4-5 jobs for them.  One was EXTREMELY difficult and probably the job that got me termated.   Pay was supposed to be in today via Paypal.  Called the office and spoke to "M," whom of course, gave me the same "song and dance" that he pretty much just handled clients.  Sent an email to tech support, trying to get answers to no av ...

Due To The Difficulty Of The Account, They Are Paying
Aug 28, 2012

4.5 for editing and 8 for ST?!?!  They think that is a good pay rate apparently!!  I wish that place had a dislike button!! ...

Has Anyone Checked With A Lawyer About MM Not Paying For CCs And
Nov 26, 2012

demos when we're required to spend time searching and entering them?  How can we be required to spend hours and hours a week searching & entering "required" information but not be paid for that time or those lines?  Would it be a labor lawyer? ...

For All Who Would Suggest Not Paying For An MT Program
Dec 28, 2012

So for those here who would suggest not paying for an MT program and I definitely understand why what would you suggest as the way to get any type of experience so that I might have a better chance to get an MT job ? Even part time would be helpful at this point ! ...

Maybe MM Figures They Might Be Paying UE Anyway To Employees,
Feb 27, 2013

the time they will be paying UE.  If they fire ya, eventually UE will run out.  If they keep you as an employee, UE could go on a long time, on and off.  Maybe this says nothing good about the overall work situation, if they are willing to let MTs go.  It means TAT is easier to meet with fewer MTs and if they are willing to pay UE to ex-employees, tells me they know they will never have need of them again and eventually UE will run out. ...