A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Not paying for spaces - cet

Posted: Feb 04, 2013

I've seen it posted in various threads that companies are not paying for typing spaces. I can't get my head around that. What's their rationale? It's a keystroke, just like any letter or number.

Example - ridiculous

[ In Reply To ..]
Wouldtheyactuallywantdictationreturnedwithnospaces?

exactly - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
Bringthepatienttothehospital.Wewillhydrateherwithnormalsalineandmonitorherserumsodium,asitwaslowwhenshecameinandIamsurethisisduetoheralcoholism.IwillplantogetanMRIofherbacktoevaluateherpain.Wewillplantousejudiciousamountsofnarcoticsandmedicationstocontrolherbackpain.Ihaveaskedforapsychologyconsultwithhopesthatifstableearlythisnextweekthepatientcanbetransferredtoaninpatientalcoholdetoxcenter.

:}

No spaces here - mt3

[ In Reply To ..]
In my last job (IC), which I just lost through a nasty email last week, with no warning, I was not paid for spaces. 21+ years experience. They said they were training another person. Probably some poor MT who will get paid even less, again with no spaces. I have tried to be in touch with these people, but they will not answer my emails or phone calls. No notice whatsoever. I have no recourse. I got no thanks for my years of service to them. I need to let go, but it is really hard not to feel resentful and upset. I will no longer be doing transcribing, which I had really enjoyed. Any advice?

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Unfortunately - it is not uncommon in our industry

[ In Reply To ..]
We MTs are respected less and less as time goes by, and the fact that many of us work off-site makes it easier for those who are already so inclined to treat us badly.

Just remember that it's not about you. It's about their character or lack thereof.

character/lack of integrity - MT3

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought it was a lack of integrity and think the term lack of character fits this situation, as well. I have had people know they were going to lose an account work me until the bitter end and then drop the bombshell, but this particular very small MTSO takes the cake. Bugs me mostly because this couple never did any transcription themselves - just thought it would be a cash cow. I just need to get over it, but it's sure hard to plan when these things happen, isn't it? Thanks for your words of encouragement, by the way. Much appreciated. I just will really miss transcription, the way it used to be, but it has changed so much in the last 5-6 years that it's more heartache then it's worth. I was fortunate that because of being an MT, I was able to stay home with my kids and elderly father all these years. But, not easy to figure out what to do at 50+ years old.

MT3 - DarnItAnyhow

[ In Reply To ..]
By all means you should file for unemployment! and turn them into the Labor Board for probably misclassifying you as an IC. They had no loyalty to you, they certainly don't deserve any from you. BTW Build a Bear Workshop offers benefits for their part-timers; so do Olive Garden and Red Lobster. Google Fortune's Top 100 Companies to Work For, you might be surprised.

reply to NO SPACES HERE - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Great ADVICE! As I have posted several times in the past, I'm betting that 98% of those "Classified" as IC truly are EMPLOYEES and not ICs. It is to THEIR ADVANTAGE (not yours) because then they don't have to pay state/local employment taxes, Disability, and on and on. Go on the IRS.gov website and read the requirements to be considered an IC. and remember..they can classify you as an IC...in the EYES of the LAW, you can still be an EMPLOYEE! We all need to fight for our rights. I had to attend several hearings to straighten this out. It takes effort but in the long run, it's worth it.

Similar Messages:

Not Paying For Spaces...how Many Other Companies Now Do This?
Jun 28, 2011

My company is no longer including spaces in the line count.  The line rate has gone up a bit, but not enough to compensate for that loss in the character count. (My line count  has dropped drastically.)  Are other companies going to this new method of compensation?  I know several years ago, when I first starting MT, there was a lot of "stink" about some companies only counting "black" characters, and those were the companies everyone stayed away from.  Ju ...

10 Cpl With No Spaces, Is That A Good Wage Or No? I Have Always Been Paid With Spaces, Thx, Nm
Jun 03, 2011

nm ...

Does Anyone Know What 0.08 Line Without Spaces Equals Out To With Spaces?
Nov 25, 2010

Does anyone know what 0.08 line without spaces equals out to with spaces? ...

Paying For Course
May 28, 2013

Has anyone found any type of loan to pay for your coding programs at Andrews or Career Step that has lower payments than the school payment plans? I'm not saying their price is unreasonable. I just can't afford the payments or to pay outright.   Thanks, Kat ...

We Will All End Up Paying For Benchmark KB Etc!!!!
Mar 11, 2010

So we are all expecting to get the Benchmark KB etc etc....but did anyone but me notice that it says for 2010? I will bet that that means we will have it free for the remainder of 2010 and then have to pay something to keep it after 2010. ...

SS Paying Early
Jan 21, 2011

Waiting with baited breath for someone to repost all of the SS pays early testimonies.  cracking me up - its always good to laugh uncontrollably. anyone ever read a P&P manual? ignorance is bliss.  ...

Paying To Being An MT - Worth It?
Jul 18, 2011

Hello forum users! I am currently very interested in the MT field.  I am a fast typist, excellent speller, I have a good grasp of grammar, etc.  I am eyeing a course offered online, it seems professional and excellent and all that.  The whole thing seems perfect for me!  I would like to work from home and make my own hours while doing this. However, I recently spoke to a neighbor who is an MT, and she is losing her job to a machine.  She also claims that her MT friend ...

Any Companies Paying 9 Cpl Or Above? Sm
Oct 05, 2011

I've been looking at the job ads and have noticed a trend of very low cpl being offered.  Are there still any companies out there paying 9 or above?  I'm tired of wasting my time testing for companies only to find out during the interview process that they're only willing to pay 7 or 8 cpl.  Thanks! ...

Is The Q Paying Every Other Friday Now?
Dec 27, 2011

It used to be twice a month so I'm wondering if the every other Friday is true?  TIA ...

Is 3-T Paying For Windows 7 Pro?
Oct 16, 2012

I have to pay for it and yet others hired for 3-T say the company is paying for it.  Interesting.... ...

You'd Think They Would Get Tired Of Paying So Much UE
Jan 20, 2013

Wouldn't that give somebody in payroll or human resources a CLUE that there is a problem? ...

Best Paying Jobs
Mar 01, 2014

I have been a working MT since 1989.   I make $400-500 a week.   I work approximately 6 hours  a day for this.    Is this an accurate pay?    I would like to hear from other MTs and what are the best paying companies to work for.    ...

Paying Taxes As An IC?
Feb 24, 2015

I recently started working as an independent contractor for a transcription company and understand that I have to take care of the tax side of it myself. I'm new to this and am not sure what I need to do as far as paying taxes go. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! ...

Paying Taxes, I'm Freakin Out
Feb 24, 2010

I am about to do my taxes for 2009.  I had a bunch of money saved up to pay them, but I fell on hard times (little to no typing jobs) and had to use that money to pay bills.  What is going to happen?  I made 11,000 last year.  How much can I expect to owe?  What if I don't have the money????? ...

FUTURENET TECH NOT PAYING
Jan 28, 2011

Did anyone else get the run around from the accounting department at FutureNet Tech today?   They normally pay every other Friday but when no deposit showed up and I inquired, the accounting department first said it would be a little later that normal then when pressed further for exactly when should I expect the pay I have been promised (promised to be paid today!) I was told it would be available tomorrow.   This is not a good sign and while I would rather like to believe t ...

Highest Paying Companies?
Nov 07, 2011

Hi MTs, Does anyone have information on the hightest paying companies?  9, 10, 11, 12 cpl?  Thanks for your input.  $20 to $25 an houir?  Is it true that voice editing is the pits? ...

Paying A Company To Work For Them?
Mar 05, 2012

I have never heard of this before.  They take money out of every paycheck (no matter how long you work for them) to pay for licensing fees?  What's up with this? ...

Exactly WHEN Did They Stop Paying Holidays?
Jun 04, 2012

I was hired last December.   I could have sworn the recruiter said "7 paid holidays" and 25% pay increase (1 cpl increase - big friggin whoop) for working a holiday.  ...

Where Are The Good Paying Positions?
Jun 29, 2012

I did not spend 35 years doing transcription to take a job paying 5, 6 or 7 cpl.  I would rather be a greeter at Walmart than to sink this low.  What the devil is happening in the transcription world.  It seems like all MTSOs are going bonkers. ...

Fox Transcribe And Not Paying After Termination
Jul 16, 2012

GRRRRR!!!! Just venting about this company and their lack of communication and not paying in a timely manner.  Last week, I did approximately 4-5 jobs for them.  One was EXTREMELY difficult and probably the job that got me termated.   Pay was supposed to be in today via Paypal.  Called the office and spoke to "M," whom of course, gave me the same "song and dance" that he pretty much just handled clients.  Sent an email to tech support, trying to get answers to no av ...

Due To The Difficulty Of The Account, They Are Paying
Aug 28, 2012

4.5 for editing and 8 for ST?!?!  They think that is a good pay rate apparently!!  I wish that place had a dislike button!! ...

Has Anyone Checked With A Lawyer About MM Not Paying For CCs And
Nov 26, 2012

demos when we're required to spend time searching and entering them?  How can we be required to spend hours and hours a week searching & entering "required" information but not be paid for that time or those lines?  Would it be a labor lawyer? ...

For All Who Would Suggest Not Paying For An MT Program
Dec 28, 2012

So for those here who would suggest not paying for an MT program and I definitely understand why what would you suggest as the way to get any type of experience so that I might have a better chance to get an MT job ? Even part time would be helpful at this point ! ...

Maybe MM Figures They Might Be Paying UE Anyway To Employees,
Feb 27, 2013

the time they will be paying UE.  If they fire ya, eventually UE will run out.  If they keep you as an employee, UE could go on a long time, on and off.  Maybe this says nothing good about the overall work situation, if they are willing to let MTs go.  It means TAT is easier to meet with fewer MTs and if they are willing to pay UE to ex-employees, tells me they know they will never have need of them again and eventually UE will run out. ...

Best Paying Company That Will Take New Grads?
Jul 10, 2013

x ...

Paying By Gross Line
Oct 16, 2013

Does anyone know companies that pay by gross line? ...

MTSO's - Why Do None Of You Ever Post Your CPL You Are Paying
Dec 31, 2013

Seriously.   Why do you withhold this information?   Would it not make more sense to post that right at the start so people know if they are even willing to test with you? It wastes your time, doesn't it, to review tests and resumes if your pay rate is not acceptable to people?    Or it wastes someone else's time to grade the tests,  then wastes the hiring person's time to review the information and make an offer if someone knows they won't ...

Paying MTs By The Minute Of Dictation
Apr 17, 2014

Just found this very interesting article about how MTSOs should consider charging by the minute instead of by the line. I imagine that would be a good idea for transcriptionists, because we would then be paid for the time we actually do transcribe versus by the line we may or may not transcribe. I remember wayyyy back in the golden days being paid by the minute (of dictation, and that was far more profitable for us as transcriptionists. Brace yourself, as this article refers to us as "transc ...

Is Coding Stressful, Or Low Paying?
Mar 24, 2015

This forum seems full of cranky people. Is coding that stressful or low paying of a job? Or does it just attract those with inhospitable dispositions?  ...

CANANDIAN COMPANY PAYING U.S. IC
Jun 15, 2015

Random question.  If a company located in Canada pays someone in the US (via PayPal), do taxes have to be paid?  Does anyone else have an arrangement like this? ...