A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Working 2nd shift with kids - mt

Posted: Apr 29, 2013

I'm considering a FT second shift position with a company, but I would like to get some input from others who work 2nd shift on how they are able to do it with a husband and small children at home.  I am currently working first shift while husband is at work and kids in school but have a lot of days with low or no work.  Just wondering how you are able to stay focused and take care of regular chores/duties around the house in the evenings and still work and maintain a decent line count.  Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.  TIA

Probably not as bad as it sounds. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I had that same dilemma at one time. I needed a job, only second shift available and I was thinking..."Oh no, what if a kid needs help with a bath, or husband can't find his socks for tomorrow."

The thing is, unless you are truly lucky, it is HARD to find a job, these days, where your fingers don't leave the keyboard in a whole 8-hour shift. Generally, you will type a few jobs and run out of work and are supposed to wait for work. During your wait time, you can go help with dinner, help with the kids, whatever. That was my experience and it worked out fine with me.

If your husband is home - in the evenings

[ In Reply To ..]
while you are working, why can't he take care of the kids and the chores so you can work? They're his kids, too, and his house as well.

2nd shift - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
In my case, it became very difficult. I don't even have kids. My husband works a regular M-F day job. It ended up becoming kind of a strain on our relationship.

First of all, we only had one weekend day to spend together because I work one weekend day (as do most of us). The evenings were also "our" time. Cooking together, watching our favorite TV shows, etc.

When I decided to try a 2nd shift, I figured I could take my break when we wanted to make dinner, and then we could record and watch our two favorite TV shows at some other point. The dinner thing rarely worked out right based on what time I ended up getting my break, which never was the same time every day depending on work. The TV shows never got watched because the only day we could watch was on Saturday, and we ended up doing other stuff (house work, errands, etc.)

Turned out that we really started to lose our "closeness" because of not being able to do the things that kept us close (regardless of how "little" they seemed to be at the time like watching a couple of TV shows). He started to get really irritated and started wondering if I was ever going to get a "real job" where we could actually start living like a normal couple again.

Needless to say, I ended up having to find a mostly day job with only a couple hours that fall into the late afternoon hours. It just wasn't worth messing up our relationship. Sigh.

My input - get hubby out from in front of the TV (which I am sure - your income helps provide) SM

[ In Reply To ..]
and put his butt to work!! It is crazy wrong for you to have 2 FT jobs while he has one job and when his shift if over, he expects all work for him is over. Where do ya live? I will come kick his butt!!

what? Hubby does work and she is not working 2 jobs, - she was gonna switch hours!

[ In Reply To ..]
DONT PEOPLE READ AROUND HERE?

Yes, do you? She says nothing about switching hours. My - thought is if she was going to SM

[ In Reply To ..]
switch, she would do housework in the morning. She said nothing about that so I read it as she is adding 2nd shift. And yes, I mentioned hubby works. My point is, like the majority of hubbies, he probably thinks when his shift at work is done, all work for him is done. My hubby seems to think a day off means a day off from doing anything around the house.
It says she is currently working 1st and considering going to 2nd - wow
[ In Reply To ..]
If your hubby is like that, thats your problem.
Yes, wow. *I'm considering a FT second shift position* - Where does that says she is quiting Sm
[ In Reply To ..]
1st shift to go to 2nd shift? It doesnt. It says nothing about quiting and *going to 2nd shift.* If you are an MT, you must not do verbatim accts. Read what is there, not what you want/or think should be there.
Entering fray. A lot of assumptions being made here. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
She is not clear about whether she is "switching" jobs or getting another job, which means either one of you could be correct. I did also think that she meant she will be switching from days to evenings, not working 2 full time jobs (though who knows, I work 2 full time jobs).

To the poster who went ballistic on the OPs husband, I don't understand getting so worked up over a stranger's life. Did it hit a personal button? I don't think that is the kind of advice OP was looking for.

It's rough - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I found it very difficult. No more sit down family dinners. The worst is probably that you and your husband go to bed at different times 5 days a week. I end up waking hubs up at 2 a.m. when I come to bed and he ends up waking me up when he gets up at 5:30 a.m.

Also, I had to miss several of my kid's evening school events, which was the biggest sacrifice.

I have done it for years and years now and my kids are about to graduate high school and I feel like I missed so much by working evenings.

There is no guarantee there will be more lines in the evening anyway. I run out constantly.

Is 3rd shift an option? - 2nd is hardest shift

[ In Reply To ..]
IMO 2nd shift is really the hardest shift to work, especially with a family. I worked 3rd shift most of my career because I had my evenings free for the family and slept while kids were in school. There definitely were disruptions, but at least family time was intact (I was a single mom so that was necessary).

On the other hand summer is coming, so since kids aren't in school, you'd have time with them during the day and hubby could take over at night. Is there any possibility of eventually being able to go to days with this new company once you have more seniority?

If you do take 2nd shift you can do chores during the day before work, preparing dinner, etc., but hands-on time with the family definitely lacks.

But of course, we all do what we have to. If your family relies on your paycheck and you're not having any work during the day, then family time at a homeless shelter ain't great either...

Good luck :-)

2nd shift - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I would be switching companies. Maybe at some point, days would be an option again, but at this point, I need something that has steady work. I'm also working PT for a small company. I have to work 2 jobs to help us out. My husband doesn't mind watching the kids and helping out, but sometimes, he just gets a little "needy" for lack of a better word. Like he wants to ask me something or "honey, can you fix me some ice cream?", that kind of thing, and I don't mind this stuff at all, but I know it's going to be a big adjustment for him to. I actually feel more awake and more productive on 2nd shift, but I have a family and small children which comes with plenty of distractions. I was just wanting to get input from other moms who have small kids and work 2nd shift and try to get some ideas on how to make it work.

Small children are one thing but * honey, fix me some ice cream - is just UUUGGGH. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

If he is - an adult

[ In Reply To ..]
he should be able to fix his own ice cream. If you working 2nd shift benefits the family, maybe he should be encouraged to see it as an opportunity to grow up.

Seriously, if he wants ice cream, you have to fix it for him? Really?
He doesn't really want her to fix the ice cream - 3rd shift poster
[ In Reply To ..]
he just wants to give her a little peck on the cheek as she opens the freezer... wants a little attention.

I get a good vibe about this family.
He could walk over to her desk, give her a peck on the cheek and say - Thanks honey. I appreciate you. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
2nd shift and husband - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
Ok, people. My husband is definitely not a lazy man. He sometimes puts in 60-70 hour weeks himself. He's tired and I'm tired, plain and simple, but we have kids and we have to make it work. Call me old fashioned or whatever you want, but I don't mind making my husband ice cream or getting him some water or whatever. After all he does for our family to try to make a living after he lost his job a few years back, it's the least I can do for him. He's a good man, and if he had to kill himself working 80 hours a week just so we could make ends meet, then he would do it. He has a lot on his plate too. I spoil him and I admit it, but he does a lot of things for me too so I'm not complaining. My only point is it's going to be an adjustment for all of us as a family because I have been working days for a long time now, but this is an opportunity for advancement with this company so a little sacrifice may be worth it. So if anyone has any helpful suggestions without trying to make my husband out to be an incompetent baby, I would really appreciate it.
Well, if you are happy - being
[ In Reply To ..]
his slave, what is the problem?

Just type with one hand and feed him with the other.
A slave seems a bit harsh and rather judgemental. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Not the OP, but some of the nasty comments and judgements about total strangers is a wee bit over the top.

OP, it is hard to work 2nd shift and it is an adjustment your family will have to make. I hardly think doing something nice for someone constitutes slavery, but clearly some do.

If you are used to having a lot of family time in the evening, it is going to be a hard adjustment for you all.

There is no advice that can be given. If you do it, the family will just have to understand you are working and that you are not available. No, you will not be able to do chores, cook dinner, etc., around getting your lines in, IMHO.
If their situations were - reversed
[ In Reply To ..]
it is unlikely that he would be agonizing or even concerned over any inconvenience or discomfort she might experience.
Do you live with them? Stop projecting your - experience on her.nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Oh please - you know
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm right.
Yes, I know. You're always right (nm) - I can tell.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Not all men are jerks you know. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to do most chores at home, cooking, cleaning, etc. When I had to switch shifts my husband jumped in and started doing most of the evening chores. It's a partnership and you do things for each other and, yes, that includes getting ice cream. I often ask my husband to do little things like that for me.

It's kind of sad you haven't experienced a relationship like that.
Just most of them. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
That is a patently false statement. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
In my experience, I know more super great guys than I know super great women. The women tend to be catty, cutting and backstabbing. Guys tend to be what you see is what you get, less games and, frankly, far less nasty attitude.

In MY experience, it is completely true. Your experience is not - the truth of the world. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Nor is your experience the truth of the world. I just don't find bitter and angry a nice place - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
You don't have to explain :-) - 3rd shift poster
[ In Reply To ..]
It's a shame one can't post a little anecdotal information without getting judged or accused of being locked in a room with bread and water by an obviously mean and hateful husband...

All business here or else!!!

I don't get it unless people are so bitter and unhappy with their own lives they feel the need to project it onto seemingly happy, normal, things-are-tough-these-a days MTs.

I've so been there with what you're going through except without the husband... and what I would have given to have had someone to serve a bowl of ice cream. :-)

Similar Messages:

Working With Kids
Mar 30, 2010

For all the moms out there, How do you do it with kids and trying to work? I am in the situation of deciding on whether or not to keep paying daycare. I wanted to be at home and be more available to my kids. I find myselft thinking that maybe if I let my sitter go, then that would be more money in my pocket, meanwhile, I wonder how I would work if I did let her go. Good dependable, trustworthy sitters are hard to find. Does anyone have any advice or stories on how you can be successful ...

Working With Young Kids At Home
May 30, 2013

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to work at home with 2 small kids, under age of 3.  Losing a babysitter and have no other options.  I have done it before but not for long periods of time.  Any helpful hints or suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Working 2nd Or 3rd Shift ?
Apr 29, 2011

Have been fortunate and always worked first shift (weekends included).  Now it looks like those are hard to come by and may have to take a 2nd shift or third shift.  Once you do, is it easy to get on days in a year or two with most companies or are you locked in for life? ...

WMX - Working Outside Of Normal Shift
Jun 26, 2011

I am thinking for right now I don't really care if I "fudge" on my shift a little here and there.  First they offer OT, then no work.  I almost think it might be better when we are under different management.  HOWEVER, I still have not seen anything on the acquisition other than what we were originally told.  How odd!! Makes you afraid to go with any of the smaller companies.  Who knows who will be eaten up next.  I will say I was an old YOG employee and when ...

Advice For Working 2nd Shift...
Feb 20, 2013

I start 2nd shift tomorrow and will be working 12 pm to 9 pm.  I am wondering how to make this as painless as possible seeing as how I am used to 1st shift.  I can take up to 2 hours for breaks, researching, etc. Any and all advice is appreciated.  Thanks. ...

I Wish Shaw Could Be Working My Shift Today.
Aug 29, 2013

I have worked so hard all day, have next to nil inactive time, and still, barely the minimum line count. I would especially like him to do the last report with the horrible scratchy sound with the doctor alternatively blasting out my ears and not talking into the phone, and the horrible output. Ha, ha - spend a day in our shoes. What a challenge :) I doubt he is up for the challenge, though. ...

Ok Kids, See This, I Did What I Could
Jan 05, 2010

Sooooo, I had to have a block in my neck for pain, 3 protruding disks.  I told the doc what I did and why I have more problems now, IE the font with my new company.  Anyhow, he said "you would not like me, I dictate really, really fast. " I told him that there is someone on the other end trying their ***** to get it correct, so if you want it correct slow down.  He said "really?"  Yea baby.  Do you want correct reports or others that you have to go over?  DUH.  ...

Kids In Dictations
Oct 24, 2009

I just got done with a job where for the last minute the kid kept saying "daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daaaaaddddy, daaaddddy... etc" for literally over a minute.  He just kept on talking like it was nothing.  I on the other hand was telling the kid to be quiet!!!  Don't think he heard me! ...

HI KIDS, ANY OLDIES STILL AT EVIL Q?
Apr 26, 2010

Just curious.com.net.org...... dot. dot.dot. dot................ WHY? ...

Dictating With Kids In Room - HIPAA Violation?
May 26, 2013

So I just took a HIPAA course regarding the "new rules" regarding our liabilities and obligations under the law.  I often get dictations by doctors who are obviously working at home with their kids running freely (and loudly) through the room, and perhaps a caretaker's voice now and then.  If its a HIPAA violation for ME to have other people listening to dictation, isn't the doctor dictating in the presence of others who obviously have no business hearing that dictation a rep ...

Saw On A Morning Program That Kids Who Are Babysitting Are Probably Making More Than We Are!
Mar 24, 2015

x ...

MModal Still Has Shift Differential For Night Shift?
Jul 01, 2013

can anyone tell me if MModal still has shift differential for night shift? I know they used to ...

Kids First Day Of School, Ready To Work, Just Found Out My Account Of 7 Years Went To EMR. Great:(
Aug 20, 2012

nm ...

How To Transition From Day Shift To Night Shift
Dec 08, 2013

I've been offered an in-house MT position that I am not passing up. It is night shift 10 pm to 6 am. I've never worked a night shift ever. How should I transition into working nights? Anyone have any tips for working this shift? ...

When Does Working For 6.5 Cpl VBC Beat Not Working Because Of No Work?!!!!
Oct 09, 2014

d ...

Possible To Get FT Day Shift?
Oct 18, 2009

Thinking of going back FT and quitting my current day job, but it isn't always easy to get on days.   (I know the work flow tends to be spread out a little thinner day shift.)  ...

QA For 3 Cpl As An IC On 3rd Shift...
Dec 07, 2009

Saw the ad elsewhere.  Are these companies nuts?!  I hope nobody takes that pay.  That's equivalent to 1 cpl as an employee with benes FOR QA WORK!  I get so frustrated reading some of these ads with such horrible pay. ...

Third Shift
Dec 10, 2009

I was wondering if it's really worth it to work the 3rd shift?  Does the additional CPL really make that much of a difference.  Does the workload stay steadier during that time?  I've been offered a 3rd shift part-time job, but just don't know if it's worth revamping my entire day to work this late.  Would anybody working this shift let me know how it works out as far as sleep, daytime errands, etc.? ...

What Is First Shift, Second Shift, Etc.?
Dec 16, 2010

I see job ads for First Shift, Second Shift, etc., and modified shifts, and I am not sure exactly what periods of time these are.   I figure they are specific hours of the day - like day, swing, graveyard shifts - but what are the hours, generally? I have only worked as an IC with TAT.  I am considering applying for some of the employee status jobs but need to clarify what these shifts are. Thank you. ...

One Job On My Shift And OOW
Nov 20, 2012

I thought I just got booted but logged back in no jobs will load so this means OOW.. already.. I just logged on for my shift.. NOT GOOD AND NOT HAPPY!!!! I believe I am in the South region. ...

NJA Now For 2.5 Hrs Of My Shift. Still NJA. Wst
Feb 07, 2013

wage.  this is a dream job! ...

2nd Shift?
May 06, 2013

Would anyone happen to know which company has a 2nd shift besides MModal or Nuance?  I see a lot of ads for 1st or 3rd, but due to family obligations I need 2nd shift.  Straight typing or speech - MT or QA (have done both).  Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. ...

AD For 2nd And 3rd Shift MLS?????
Nov 20, 2013

Has anyone applied for these jobs?  She has had the ad for quite some time I see up there.  Does anyone know the name of the company?  I am looking for something part time, but don't know if I should even bother. ...

Which Do You Think Is The Best Shift
Jan 30, 2014

nm ...

Day Shift Possible Anywhere?
Dec 10, 2014

Totally unhappy with current company, but do love my shift.  Most jobs advertised are for 2nd and 3rd shift.  Anyone know of companies that would hire for very early morning or possible split shifts?  Too old at this time to think about trying night shift, but could do some evenings.  Don't mind weekends at all. Any info helpful.  TIA ...

Second-Shift MTs
Jan 07, 2015

I was just curious if there is any correalation between working 2nd shift and being unable to get to sleep at night? I have been having trouble sleeping lately and wondering if it could be due to the fact that I have been staying on later typing? Wondering if its making it harder for me to sleep because its taking so long for my brain to unwind? Anyone else have this problem? Advice appreciated. Thanks! ...

Pay/shift
Feb 19, 2015

Is there a shift that is better when working with Nuance?   ...

What Is A Split Shift? (nm)
Nov 28, 2009

x ...

Pay For 1 MME Shift With 90% ESL Dictators
Dec 20, 2009

About 1/3 of those 100% QA reports were done by ILPs.  Total average earnings per hour:  a little over 4 $, but  I will be paid at my state's minimum wage.  Before my in-house hospital job was outsourced to an MTSO that kept the work in the country for 2 years and then sent it to India, I was being paid 19 $ an hour and also had great benefits and PTO.   When did this "profession" turn into a minimum wage job ?  (actually, half of minimum wage if ...

Third Shift Employees
Feb 16, 2010

As I am getting no work during the day shift anymore, I have the chance to go third shift Sun-Thursday (11-7), either that or find a new job (yeh right), or do ASR (done it at this company, no thanks to returning there).  I have never worked that one before.  How/when do you sleep?  Any other pros/cons about this shift?  Thaniks your your advice.    ...