A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Working with kids - MTC

Posted: Mar 30, 2010

For all the moms out there, How do you do it with kids and trying to work? I am in the situation of deciding on whether or not to keep paying daycare. I wanted to be at home and be more available to my kids. I find myselft thinking that maybe if I let my sitter go, then that would be more money in my pocket, meanwhile, I wonder how I would work if I did let her go. Good dependable, trustworthy sitters are hard to find. Does anyone have any advice or stories on how you can be successful at both...working at home and having the family life to?

Change your schedule - beNice

[ In Reply To ..]
I was taking care of an aging parent and my son so I decided to work while they were sleeping. As an independent contractor I had the flexibility so I would start at 2-4 a.m. and work until it was time to take care of them and after I got them settled I would go back to work. It really worked out fine because I could not afford to pay child care.

Kids - MTC

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that would be option for me as well. I am doing independent contract work also, so it is flexible. I just keep thinking that full time daycare pay could be spared, and I would be the person taking care of my child instead of the sitter. Thanks for the information. I just wanted to see how others are making it work out.

working with kids - shelly

[ In Reply To ..]
I work full-time at this and have a 1-year-old. What I do is work 5p to 1:30a and my husband is home at 5p to take over. So, I am with my son all day and my husband is all night. Granted, my husband and I don't get much time together during the week, but it sure is worth it for our son. We couldn't afford daycare, so this was really our only option anyway. This way I can still get a fair amount of sleep because the little guy isn't up until about 8:30 on most days. Works out great! If the kids are in school you could work while they are gone. If not and you are a single mom (?) you would have to work 3rd shift or something I guess but then would never get sleep. That's tough. I hope it all works out well for you. Best of luck!

Kids - MTC

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the info. I am just seeing on what my options are and how I can make it work. It helps to now that you are not the only person juggling work and family.

Mine were 2 and 3 when I started - sm -

[ In Reply To ..]
I would only work when they napped and at night after they went to bed. I did not want them in daycare as my nephew died in daycare, and had no family near to help with them. I only worked PT but in reality was working FT as I had 3 jobs for about 2 years. I would just not sleep to much, and napped when they napped, only way I could take working to 2 a.m. each day. On the weekends I did not work as much though, though I had work I could do. If you want or need to save the money then you need to switch your work hours about and learn to be a night owl somewhat.

Similar Messages:

Working 2nd Shift With Kids
Apr 29, 2013

I'm considering a FT second shift position with a company, but I would like to get some input from others who work 2nd shift on how they are able to do it with a husband and small children at home.  I am currently working first shift while husband is at work and kids in school but have a lot of days with low or no work.  Just wondering how you are able to stay focused and take care of regular chores/duties around the house in the evenings and still work and maintain a decent line ...

Working With Young Kids At Home
May 30, 2013

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to work at home with 2 small kids, under age of 3.  Losing a babysitter and have no other options.  I have done it before but not for long periods of time.  Any helpful hints or suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Ok Kids, See This, I Did What I Could
Jan 05, 2010

Sooooo, I had to have a block in my neck for pain, 3 protruding disks.  I told the doc what I did and why I have more problems now, IE the font with my new company.  Anyhow, he said "you would not like me, I dictate really, really fast. " I told him that there is someone on the other end trying their ***** to get it correct, so if you want it correct slow down.  He said "really?"  Yea baby.  Do you want correct reports or others that you have to go over?  DUH.  ...

Kids In Dictations
Oct 24, 2009

I just got done with a job where for the last minute the kid kept saying "daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daddy, daaaaaddddy, daaaddddy... etc" for literally over a minute.  He just kept on talking like it was nothing.  I on the other hand was telling the kid to be quiet!!!  Don't think he heard me! ...

HI KIDS, ANY OLDIES STILL AT EVIL Q?
Apr 26, 2010

Just curious.com.net.org...... dot. dot.dot. dot................ WHY? ...

Dictating With Kids In Room - HIPAA Violation?
May 26, 2013

So I just took a HIPAA course regarding the "new rules" regarding our liabilities and obligations under the law.  I often get dictations by doctors who are obviously working at home with their kids running freely (and loudly) through the room, and perhaps a caretaker's voice now and then.  If its a HIPAA violation for ME to have other people listening to dictation, isn't the doctor dictating in the presence of others who obviously have no business hearing that dictation a rep ...

Saw On A Morning Program That Kids Who Are Babysitting Are Probably Making More Than We Are!
Mar 24, 2015

x ...

Kids First Day Of School, Ready To Work, Just Found Out My Account Of 7 Years Went To EMR. Great:(
Aug 20, 2012

nm ...

When Does Working For 6.5 Cpl VBC Beat Not Working Because Of No Work?!!!!
Oct 09, 2014

d ...

Working For The VA
Apr 24, 2010

Just wondering how the MT's that work for the VA like it. When you're directed to their web site, it really doesn't say too much.  Thanks ...

Working Either Way
May 10, 2010

I would like to work "outside" of home but it is quite a struggle getting the okay from my husband.  The transcription is pretty unbearable to me. Anyone else have that concern? ...

DQS Not Working?
Aug 06, 2010

DQS down for anyone else?  I try to log in and it says "failed to connect." ...

US MT Working Outside Of The US
Nov 12, 2010

I have an odd question.  If a US trained Medical Transcriptionist works from home (in the U.S.), but then decides to spend 1/2 the year (or more) in a foreign country, is it possible (ethical/legal) to continue working as an MT while in that country?  The MT would keep the US address, and bank account.  All paychecks would continue to be direct deposited into current U.S. bank account.  MT would continue to pay U.S. taxes on all monies earned.  Does anyone see anyt ...

Working With Pet
Feb 02, 2011

I have a new pet - a dog - who wants to sit next to me while I work. Does anyone have any ideas how to "update" my chair so this is possible. She's not very big, only about 15-16 lbs but I have no idea how to adapt my chair to make this possible. TIA. ...

Anyone Working For TSI?
Mar 18, 2011

I went to their website for the current job posting but my security software kicked me out of their site. Can anyone give me info on working there, good, bad, ugly???   Thanks in Advance! ...

DQS Is Working Again
May 28, 2011

Hope my work is still available to recover. ...

Working More Than 1 Job
Oct 17, 2011

I know I am not the only one working 2 jobs or more.  Between them I am scheduled 68 hours per week.  I have them spread out enough I have "long breaks" in between to fix supper, take a little me time out around the lunch hour and housework kind of gets slighted.   Watching TV of a night with hubby sleeping in his recliner is the main thing I am "missing out on".   I don't spend as much money because I simply don't have the time to go out shopping other th ...

Well I Used To Like Working For DSG...
Feb 06, 2012

And to think, I actually left medquist to work for DSG.   Now they're forcing me to work for medquist again, and trying to convince me it's going to be a good thing?   I love to know if any DSGers are actually happy about this...   ...

Working PT/PRN
Jul 05, 2012

Does anyone know of any companies that hire on a super PT or PRN basis? I am looking for some backup whenever my FT position gets slow. I comb the job postings here regularly and on another site, but really haven't come across anything as of late.   TIA. ...

Could Anyone Who Is Currently Working For
Aug 24, 2012

CCT please message me?  I have a few questions:)  Thanks! ...

Looking For Others Working For AP
Sep 19, 2012

Anyone still with AP?  ...

DQ Not Working
Oct 21, 2012

Is there maintenance tonight on DQ 7?  It doesn't seem to be working.    ...

For Those Of You Working More Than One Job...
Nov 15, 2012

how do you keep track of all the different account specs for each job? I was wondering because I am employed with one job but the different clinics I work for each have different specs. Thank you. ...

Sometime I Think I'm Working At A Different
May 01, 2013

Than everyone else on here!  I'm very happy here. I have no problem with meeting quotas, have no issues with PTO, like the matching (up to 4%) 401K, and for the past 3 weeks have had OT everyday & have worked around 55-60 hours every week with a corresponding very hefty paycheck.  ...

Help Alt F3 Not Working
May 10, 2013

how can i fix this quickly, not sure why it quit working.  tia ...

Any MT's Working For K&R
Aug 14, 2013

I was informed that I have lost my job due to some VA contracts being lost.  I was just wondering if anyone else was told the same thing.   I enjoyed working for them even though it was VBC. The company that is taking the lost accounts over now I find out they are or were for sale.  I have been on a Merry-Go-Round for 5 years since my hospital outsourced.  Any info would help me in making a decision.   ...

Anyone Currently Working For TTS
Sep 07, 2014

Could anyone currently working for TTS (or has in the last 1-2 years), that is willing to answer some questions for me, please RESPOND BY EMAIL to me if you would allow me to ask you some questions as I am considering job offer. It would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you. ...

Anybody Else Working?
Nov 27, 2014

I work on a Canadian account. I was wondering if anyone else is working.   ...

Is Nobody Working?
Jan 30, 2015

I feel like I'm the only one working not just in my group now.  My whole "POD" is overloaded with work.  Where the h e l l is everybody???? There are innocent people depending on us regardless how we feel about our managers and company.  Come on people!  ...

Has Anyone Been PM'd For Not Working MOT?
Apr 29, 2015

Just wondering.  I am so tired I can hardly stand any more. ...