A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How to transition from day shift to night shift - sm

Posted: Dec 08, 2013

I've been offered an in-house MT position that I am not passing up. It is night shift 10 pm to 6 am. I've never worked a night shift ever. How should I transition into working nights? Anyone have any tips for working this shift?

I also work that shift - Night owl

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have a couple of days leading up to your start date, start staying awake longer and longer to start shifting your body clock. You might also think about some Tylenol PM or the like for the first couple of days to help. Melatonin didn't work for me but others swear by it. It helps convince your body that its time to sleep.

Get blackout curtains or black material to cover your bedroom windows. This will be really key to your success. Turn off your phone. I'll say it again. TURN OFF YOUR PHONE. I can't tell you how many conversations I have had with coworkers who were awakened by the phone. If you're in an apartment, earplugs may be a good investment as well.

Do you have a family to work around? That will also make a big difference. The thing I've found is I have to be rigidly consistent with my schedule. I work 2 MT jobs, so what works for me is to finish the FT job at 6:30, go for a walk, and then immediately start the PT job. I try to get in bed by noon and up at 8 ish or so.

Having said that, though, it doesn't always work that way. Some days I don't sleep well and it's all I can do to stay awake long enough to get undressed to crawl into bed when I finish at 6:30. Those days aren't so productive, though, not to mention the lack of exercise.

I do maintain a graveyard schedule even on my days off. If I don't, then I'm all messed up again and it takes a couple of days to get back to the groove.

You may run into people who think you can do stuff with or for them because you're home during the day. They don't think about the fact that 8 hours of that time you'll hopefully be in bed sleeping. This can also be a very isolating shift as well, which is a pain. I'd like to find a social group that is up all night and doesn't think it's nuts to be doing stuff at 4 a.m.

When you're at work and getting the sleepies, get up and walk around, drink plenty of water. Take a nap on your lunch break if you need to. Ten or 15 minute power naps are the best thing ever and can get you through the next several hours.

Hope that helps some. Good luck.

EXCELLENT advice. - red eye 2

[ In Reply To ..]
I think THE most important advice is keeping the schedule even on days off, which is really what makes this shift isolating. Even if you have a day off, you really don't... but it is workable and worth it for me as I do get a differential.

But I've always been a night owl by nature, so the transitions have been pretty smooth when I do have to do "normal" things during the day. My most alert time is 3 to 11 p.m., but that shift really is the least conducive to a "life."

There was a point in my life where I had to work 3 to 11 FT and then midnight to 5 a.m. PT to make it work financially for my family. It was hard, but it got us through. So kudos to you for your discipline in your schedule and work ethic!

Oh, and I LOVE the social group idea!! Knowing I'm not the only one crafting a lasagne after midnight on my days off would be very supportive :-)

I'm not a night shift person but one thing that works - also IC

[ In Reply To ..]
for me if I am near the end of my workday is to drink a Coke (WITH caffeine). I can't do it with 3 hours to go because I will crash and not be able to stay awake. But if I have an hour to an hour and a half left and feel like I am not going to make it, a Coke gives me enough of a boost to make it through. I drink coffee earlier in my shift but a cold Coke seems to energize me for the last hour or so.

Definitely easier to work 3rd shift AWAY from home :) - ETOHPRN

[ In Reply To ..]
I found it much easier to work overnights at the facility than at home. At home it is sooo tempting to crash for a few minutes and have it turn into a few hours. Or, you want to turn on lights or turn on some music, or even move around in hour house to make your lunch or something and BAM, you wind up waking someone else up (at least in my tiny house this is how it goes).

Also, chances are you will have a co-worker or two to help keep you company. Another huge bonus to working off site, no matter what the shift.

The worst thing is society doesn't even notice 3rd shifters exist. They will knock on your door, ring your phone, schedule appointments--all in the middle of your "night." It's not easy, that's for sure.

The other suggestions are right on. I use a white noise maker (simply a loud fan) AND those foam earplugs that you can get in a jar of like 100 for just a few bucks. Slap a note on your door, turn off your phone if you can (if you have kids in school that might not be possible), do your best to stay away from uppers and downers like I did. They may help short term, but they will mess you up but good. This I know :(

Good luck and enjoy your new job!

Similar Messages:

MModal Still Has Shift Differential For Night Shift?
Jul 01, 2013

can anyone tell me if MModal still has shift differential for night shift? I know they used to ...

Transition To Third Shift
Feb 02, 2011

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone who works or has worked third shift in the past could share with me any advice they might have. I have always worked first shift, but I have been offered a really terrific position working third shift on the weekends, and I am finding myself wanting to give it a try. I know it would be a difficult transition at first, and I would need to focus on taking good care of myself. If anyone has any advice, I would so greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advanc ...

Night Shift
Jul 03, 2013

I have a question for anyone working night shift. if you work from 11 pm on Tues to 7 am Wed, does that time count for tues or wed. Thanks. ...

Night Shift Differential??
Jul 22, 2012

Does Nuance pay night shift differential?  Finding any info about pay and benefits for Nuance is next to impossible?  If they do pay differential, does anyone know what it is? Thank you.  ...

Night Shift Differential
May 01, 2014

Is the differential for late work shown as a separate line item on the paystubs?  I'm not sure if I'm getting paid for it.  Just seeking info.  Troll away if you like. ...

Did MQ Drop The Night Shift Differential?
Apr 12, 2010

I start work at 0500 and always have had at least 1 hour of night shift differential for each day I worked.  It amounts to pretty much next to nothing money wise, but I would still like to know without having to wait on an answer from CCM.  tia ...

WooHoo! Night Shift Gets A Raise!
Dec 23, 2010

That is way better than a pay cut!!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS! ...

Can Someone Tell Me What Time Does Night Shift Start
May 16, 2014

East coast/West coast. Like everything else, it is almost impossible to find out!! Thanks so much!!   ...

I Have An Ah-ha Moment. All Night Shift Workers Should Send An
Dec 23, 2010

x ...

It's True. Night Shift Gets The Bottom Of The Barrel.
Sep 10, 2013

Just signed into my account to get some extra in because of OOW for the past month, at least.  Surprise, surprise. What I have been reading is true!  The worst of the worst dictators are on and only them.  Gosh, it seems like there is some cherry picking going on, perhaps from overseas?  Unbelievable.  Hardly worth the frustration. Not one good one out of the bunch.  Boy, don't we work for some POS people?  ...

Dear Fellow MTs Who Were Hired To Help Out A Sister On The Night Shift...
Jul 20, 2011

I don't mean to sound like a dink, but I'm wicked exhausted from working my fingers to the bone, 7 nights a week for several weeks now, because people who were hired to work the graveyard shift are flaking out and not showing up or pulling their weight.  No, I don't HAVE to work 7 nights a week, and yet I'm doing it because I'm terrified the wonderful little company that I've worked for, for nearly 11 years now, will lose this really big acc ...

MIND LOCK - Last Night I "Just Turned It Off"/Abandoned My Shift: What Now?
Apr 06, 2010

Posted: Apr 6th, 2010 - 10:35 am I signed on for my normal shift at Midnight and got immediately hit with an unknown hospital,  uknown dictator from outside my CCM's 'book of work.'  I couldn't understand the dictator who was a ESL, thick accent interspersed with serial "mumbles with thick accent."  Looked for an old report, put in all the correct information, even tried adjusting it several times -- came up with no old reports.  At this point, mental in ...

Possible To Get FT Day Shift?
Oct 18, 2009

Thinking of going back FT and quitting my current day job, but it isn't always easy to get on days.   (I know the work flow tends to be spread out a little thinner day shift.)  ...

QA For 3 Cpl As An IC On 3rd Shift...
Dec 07, 2009

Saw the ad elsewhere.  Are these companies nuts?!  I hope nobody takes that pay.  That's equivalent to 1 cpl as an employee with benes FOR QA WORK!  I get so frustrated reading some of these ads with such horrible pay. ...

Third Shift
Dec 10, 2009

I was wondering if it's really worth it to work the 3rd shift?  Does the additional CPL really make that much of a difference.  Does the workload stay steadier during that time?  I've been offered a 3rd shift part-time job, but just don't know if it's worth revamping my entire day to work this late.  Would anybody working this shift let me know how it works out as far as sleep, daytime errands, etc.? ...

What Is First Shift, Second Shift, Etc.?
Dec 16, 2010

I see job ads for First Shift, Second Shift, etc., and modified shifts, and I am not sure exactly what periods of time these are.   I figure they are specific hours of the day - like day, swing, graveyard shifts - but what are the hours, generally? I have only worked as an IC with TAT.  I am considering applying for some of the employee status jobs but need to clarify what these shifts are. Thank you. ...

One Job On My Shift And OOW
Nov 20, 2012

I thought I just got booted but logged back in no jobs will load so this means OOW.. already.. I just logged on for my shift.. NOT GOOD AND NOT HAPPY!!!! I believe I am in the South region. ...

NJA Now For 2.5 Hrs Of My Shift. Still NJA. Wst
Feb 07, 2013

wage.  this is a dream job! ...

2nd Shift?
May 06, 2013

Would anyone happen to know which company has a 2nd shift besides MModal or Nuance?  I see a lot of ads for 1st or 3rd, but due to family obligations I need 2nd shift.  Straight typing or speech - MT or QA (have done both).  Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. ...

AD For 2nd And 3rd Shift MLS?????
Nov 20, 2013

Has anyone applied for these jobs?  She has had the ad for quite some time I see up there.  Does anyone know the name of the company?  I am looking for something part time, but don't know if I should even bother. ...

Which Do You Think Is The Best Shift
Jan 30, 2014

nm ...

Day Shift Possible Anywhere?
Dec 10, 2014

Totally unhappy with current company, but do love my shift.  Most jobs advertised are for 2nd and 3rd shift.  Anyone know of companies that would hire for very early morning or possible split shifts?  Too old at this time to think about trying night shift, but could do some evenings.  Don't mind weekends at all. Any info helpful.  TIA ...

Second-Shift MTs
Jan 07, 2015

I was just curious if there is any correalation between working 2nd shift and being unable to get to sleep at night? I have been having trouble sleeping lately and wondering if it could be due to the fact that I have been staying on later typing? Wondering if its making it harder for me to sleep because its taking so long for my brain to unwind? Anyone else have this problem? Advice appreciated. Thanks! ...

Pay/shift
Feb 19, 2015

Is there a shift that is better when working with Nuance?   ...

What Is A Split Shift? (nm)
Nov 28, 2009

x ...

Pay For 1 MME Shift With 90% ESL Dictators
Dec 20, 2009

About 1/3 of those 100% QA reports were done by ILPs.  Total average earnings per hour:  a little over 4 $, but  I will be paid at my state's minimum wage.  Before my in-house hospital job was outsourced to an MTSO that kept the work in the country for 2 years and then sent it to India, I was being paid 19 $ an hour and also had great benefits and PTO.   When did this "profession" turn into a minimum wage job ?  (actually, half of minimum wage if ...

Third Shift Employees
Feb 16, 2010

As I am getting no work during the day shift anymore, I have the chance to go third shift Sun-Thursday (11-7), either that or find a new job (yeh right), or do ASR (done it at this company, no thanks to returning there).  I have never worked that one before.  How/when do you sleep?  Any other pros/cons about this shift?  Thaniks your your advice.    ...

Question For Third Shift MTs...
Jun 14, 2010

I have been working third shift for about three months and am still having some trouble getting used to it.  My question is do you work your shift then go to sleep or do you stay up until later in the afternoon and then sleep until your shift starts.  I work a 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. and am trying to find the best way to be able to stay awake during my shift.  I do not drink coffee.  I have tried some of those energy drinks that are sugar free, which helped some, just now wond ...

Third Day In A Row Logging In For My Shift
Aug 25, 2010

I am in old SA3.  Is this happening elsewhere? ...

3rd Shift Question...
Sep 02, 2010

Does anyone ever get NJA working 3rd shift with the Q? ...