A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What does your office set up look like? - DreaminMama

Posted: Dec 17, 2009

I want to redo my office space. It's just a little corner in my bedroom because I live in a small townhouse where I rent but I need to freshen things up before I die of boredom.  So what kind of desk, chair, keyboard, headphones, monitor, artwork, etc. make your workspace comfy?  :)

I love my office, love, love - Answers

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 1 room in my home that is entirely workroom. I had the walls painted a colonial blue and the woodwork, shutters, etc. are white. My room does not have overhead lights so I bought a floor lamp that has the same blue as my walls intermixed with black on the stand part with square light on the top. I have a painting of some birds in a gold frame on 1 wall. I have family pictures on a stand that has 4 shelves. My desk, shelf holder for printer and fax are glass with silver accents. I have a large television here that hubby got for me. My monitor and the television are both flat screens. I love my room, very pretty.

I have a very small apt., with a VERY small - -see msg-

[ In Reply To ..]
bedroom. Since my bedroom is also my office, and there isn't room for both a bed and a desk, I got rid of my conventional queen-sized bed, and got a very tall, heavy loft bed. My big desk, which holds PC, monitor, 2 printers, and more, as well as a bookcase fit under the bed. I love it, because with this setup, half the floor space in the bedroom is open and usable. I love sleeping way up there in my loft bed so much that even if I moved to a bigger place someday, I would still sleep up there in the loft bed!

Cool idea! - Dreaminmama

[ In Reply To ..]
The loft bed is something I havent thought of. I have a king sized bed and it takes up my whole room. Never thought of building up instead of around. Thanks for the idea!

Building "up" is the way to go! In addition, - all the space between the -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
desk and the underside of the mattress platform is usable, too. You could even install more storage shelves under there, if needed. I simply put in some eye bolts and hang extra pairs of inline skates up there. I've seen others decorated with tiny little LED lights, or cable lights, flowers, ribbon, etc.

You can get good space-management ideas at IKEA, but for me, their loft beds weren't quite sturdy enough. I got mine used on Craigslist from a recently-graduated college student. I knew I wanted the kind he had after I checked out a site called "collegeloftbeds.com". They sell pre-fab kits for building beds. I think they do custom orders, to.

Under "Customer Services" at the left, click on PHOTO GALLERY! There you will find all kinds of absolutely brilliantly decorated loft beds.

You can have a bookshelf added to the bed, or an extension to put a clock, book, phone, etc. on. I use a little clip-on light clamped to one of the bedposts for light.

Some people without much closet space have also used the underside of the bed as a closet, installing a heavy dowel or two to hang the clothes from. Then, they have pretty curtains across the front, so it looks nice and neat. The ideas are limitless!

My cats of course think I got the bed for THEM! At one end of the bed, up against the wall, I put a tall cat-tree next to a smaller one, so they can climb up at will. (During the winter, when all the heat rises to the ceiling, it's the warmest place to be.) And if you DON'T want a pet in your bed, without a way to get up, they can't.

You really don't have to worry about making your bed, 'cause no one can really see up there, anyway! I also made things simpler by just putting on a fitted sheet, and skipping the 2nd sheet or extra blankets by using a nice warm duvet-covered comforter.

And finally, I'm 60 -- so don't let anyone tell you loft beds are just for kids! ;)

Do you have a window you can look out? - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
Like Answers, I now have a cozy room off my kitchen for my office, with an old cherry sideboard and hutch to hold stuff, little old mahogany desk to work on, favorite pictures, and cushy chair and loveseat for relaxing, but its best feature is its windows. My desk is positioned so I can look out, and I love it even though the only activity is the birds.

They are fun, though, and if you don't have even a neighbor to spy on out there(a new hobby to keep you engaged? :) maybe you could set up a window feeder that would soon draw a crowd?

Otherwise, hopefully See Message's creativity is sparking an idea? Until then, if you're currently facing into that corner (like a child being punished?), maybe you could start by turning your desk around?

Answers again, agree with the window - Answers

[ In Reply To ..]
I put my desk catty-corner in the room to where I can see out the window to the entrance to my home. I keep about 5 blinds on my side open and can see people approaching the house on the driveway but most do not even notice the several blinds and have no idea someone can see them. Most surprised when I make it to the front door before they can even ring the doorbell.

Office Windows- A MUST & music - old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Windows are a must. I have been an at home transcriptionist for over 20 years and every time we move I look for an office with a window. At one time I had a little alcove in the living room with room dividers - but I still had a window. Right now I have a bird feeder outside the window and myself and the cat just love it. Plus it cuts down on the boredom when you can see what is going on in your neighborhood! I also have a CD player I put relaxation CDS in or classical music on those days where I really feel unproductive and it helps!
I already have a great view, but last spring I - put a birdbath outside, -sm
[ In Reply To ..]
in addition to feeders for birds and hummers. The cats love it, and so do I. There is a downside to a great view, though.... lack of attention to work! I live on a hill next to a busy waterway, and all day long watch cargo ships, tugs, sailboats, kayakers, etc. go past, in addition to watching the birds. Combine that with a short attention span, and it's hard to stay focused! I guess that's why I get more work done at night than during the day.

Anyone else with this problem? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a huge window in my office facing several squirrel and bird feeders outside along the gazebo/deck on the back of my house.

Last summer, I noted a cute little field mouse that actually climbed up the metal pole of one of my feeders, sat inside the feeder and ate to its heart content of the bird seeds and nuts. At first I was fascinated. Then, I noticed another mouse and soon enough a couple babies.

I let them continue eating the food against the warning of my husband and we ended up with mice in our house this fall. What a nightmare! It took weeks to eradicate them. Now, I'm afraid to put out any food in my feeders but the birds keep coming, expecting their food.
Rats!!! - old MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I had that problem at one place. There were actually rats getting in the bird feeder. The exterminator said you have to have the feeders 60 feet from the house - which defeated the purpose. I just looked until I found rodent proof feeders that they can't get in to. That way you can have them closer to the house. I am with the above poster though somedays it's too much fun watching and I have to close the blinds!!!
You could try this (sm) - Mushroom
[ In Reply To ..]
sprinkle cayenne powder in with the bird seed - I've read that it will keep squirrels out, so would think it would work with the mice (or rats) as well. The birds don't mind it, in fact some love hot peppers! (must not have the sensitivity to the capsaicin or whatever it is)

office - bips

[ In Reply To ..]
I am short so I have not been able to use a regular office chair without killing my back. I switched to putting my keyboard on my lap and sitting in a chair from Ashley furniture "intermission." It's huge and comfy. I put a pillow behind me for support. I also use a very small blanket to keep my keyboard from slipping around my lap.

I also have a flat screen TV and a big picture window. My living room serves as my office which just makes things easier for me. I suggest everyone get this chair! I just could never reach the keyboard on a regular desk AND the floor, and I can't WAIT to sit here every day.

My office started out nice, but - Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
We have a split design house. All of the rooms are large except the 2 on this side of the house, of which 1 is my office and the other is a guest room.

I painted the walls a pale yellow, decorated with sunflower boreder at the tof the walls, sunflower curtains, and wooden shutters on the window. My desk sits right in front of the window, which is nice. We live in a rural area and there are deer out in the field between us and the lake every day. I have a single bed in here (just in case) and a small bookcase.

Since the holidays have approached, every wrapped present is stacked in here and different pieces of junk my husband did not know what to do with.

I plan on cleaning it up again after the holidays. I really like it in here bbecause normally this is "my space."

Okay, that sounds way too comfy for real working. :) - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to have to pull out my travel setup and try something like that, although the loveseat and chair in my small office are also small scale. Is your foot pedal on the floor? My favorite comfy positions always have my feet up.

Fingers, mine's yellow too, but I only see deer when hard winter brings them up the hill to chew up my garden.

TO Miss Indigo - Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
Room is quite comfy. I have family photos all over the place. I also have CD player and play low soothing music.

Please explain to me how you put your feet up with your foot pedal. I have never done that but I would like to give it a try. Don't know how.

Indigo - bips

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to put my footpedal on 2 nails on the back of my desk and then use a small ottoman under my desk to rest my leg(s), pushing the footpedal that way. Now that I have changed desks, I can't reach the back of my desk so that's out. I found it much more comfy to have my footpedal on the floor anyway.

It IS almost too comfy for real work but it seems the less I hurt, the more I can concentrate.
I've never worked with my feet up, Fingers. It just sounds - MissIndigo
[ In Reply To ..]
nice--my version of Bips's sinking into a big, big chair. If that didn't work out, I could always console myself with a TV for quick breaks. :) A big drawback of this work has always been that it requires commitment of eyes, ears, and hands, as well as derriere. Thank goodness I do have a nice office/sitting room to hang in these days, even if I don't see it most of the time.
My Office - manyroses
[ In Reply To ..]
I live in a farmhouse, and my office is the room with the woodstove. My computer is in an armoire. I can look directly out the window to the right. In the summer, there is a butterfly garden right outside the window. For the winter, I have a birdfeeder. My bookcase fits under the window. I have a very small table to the left with my med dictionary and Quick Look on it.

Office - love my space - Stella-JRG

[ In Reply To ..]
Almost 10 years ago, we made over half our basement into a family room. Then we remodeled another room that everyone seemed to gravitate to, so the basement didn't get used too much. While I was taking my MT course, my DH said the basement would be a great work space when I was working. He was right. I painted it in the colors I liked. The walls are covered with movie and TV posters. I have a TV and DVD player and my bookshelf full of books, movies, and family pictures. I only have a very small window, so there's not much natural light, but I have a floor lamp and a desk lamp. There is a futon, so the space has doubled as a guest room when we have company and my son gets kicked out of the only other room with a double bed besides ours. Also right now it looks like Santa's workshop with wrapping paper, gifts, bags, etc. And, no, it isn't that big a space, and it is also getting a good cleaning after the holidays. Just watched a movie down there tonight too. Love my office!

The 2 best things about my office (sm) - Mushroom

[ In Reply To ..]
I have sliding patio doors that go out onto a little deck and a fenced-in area where I can let my 2 dogs in and out during the day, when I'm too busy to take them out in the bigger part of the yard; and I put shelves and fluorescent lights in the closet, which I use to start plants for my garden in the spring!

You too, Mushroom? Our first year here I started a few hundred seedlings in SM - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
a small closet in a mobile home. We'd just moved to the South and I wanted to try varieties of perennials and shrubs I'd read about in California. My husband's clothes were stuffed in a closet that stayed chilly with the door shut, and I had him move them and install wire shelves and fluorescents. I was just thinking I should make a place in this house for that. There's a lot of bare dirt to plant out there. Veggies too. After Christmas I'll have him dig them out again. :)

My office - AzRain

[ In Reply To ..]
Since I'm half Irish, I painted my office walls a deep forest green on the top half, then put green plaid material on the bottom half (using liquid bleach...google it for info). I separated the 2 halves with a green wooden border. I went to an Irish store that was going out of business and bought a lot of stuff at 75% off. I also went to JoAnn, Etc. right after St. Patrick's Day and bought tons of stuff for 90% off! I have my Ipod hooked up to portable speakers and play all my favorites tunes (over 1000 now!) while I'm working. I love my office too!

Oops, I meant to say.... - AzRain

[ In Reply To ..]
that I used liquid fabric softener, not bleach, to adhere the material to the wall. I work graveyard so my mind gets frazzled after my shift!

More ideas generated, Dreaminmama? Encouraging how - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
many people love their work areas. In addition to physical attributes that can't be copied, the feeling of having created a particularly personal space seems to be a biggie.

dreaminmama - Ocatilla

[ In Reply To ..]
VINTAGE! Dark green walls, dark brown antique wooden accents and furniture and lighting. I even got one of those 30's glass paneled doors with a crystal knob. I had a wall knocked out and a wrap around corner picture window installed. that is a bay window area with pillows for kitties (at least they think it's for them). View of mountains!!

All vintage, functional furniture, even the phone. love it. (this was YEARS in the making) Hubby used to joke that I was working only to get the office done!

That sounds AWESOME! (long, probably boring post, lol!) - RubySoho

[ In Reply To ..]
Your office space sounds amazing. Is there any way you could post some pics? I'd love to see it. That wraparound window sounds fantastic, and so does the glass paneled door!

Was there one particular place you found to purchase the vintage items? My husband and I are slowly but surely furnishing our apartment vintage/retro and we've found a few things, such as light fixtures. We're in love with the building that we're in and are patiently awaiting a 2-bedroom unit. It's a "historic" building that was originally an exclusive hotel back when it was built in the 50s. It has the original metal cabinetry in the kitchen (in copper, turquoise or pink - not for everyone but I love it!), original solid marble countertops in the bathrooms, original fixtures and smoked glass drawer pulls, and even has the original speaker in the living room (above my desk) where the concierge used to page guests for phone calls or visitors. It's an amazing piece of local history.

Sorry to ramble, but it sounds like we share a love of all things nostalgic, and I'd love to see your office; it might give me some inspiration on things I could do to my own office when that 2-bedroom we're patiently awaiting comes thru.

We live in a very small apartment in the city - RubySoho

[ In Reply To ..]
So my temporary "office" is my own corner of the living room, lol! It's actually fine while we wait for a 2 bedroom unit; I have my desk all set up with pictures and things I use all the time (hand cream, etc), and my books underneath the table. I'm deliberately facing away from the TV and at this point sadly only have the wall for a view but that keeps me focused on work, lol! My husband likes it because even though I'm working, I'm still here if he needs me for anything.

Of course, when we finally get a 2-bedroom unit, I'll have a great office with it's own private balcony, so it's TOTALLY worth the tight quarters now.

Similar Messages:

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

The Inner Office, Ltd.
Jun 25, 2011

Any comments on this company?  Thanks. ...

Wish We Were All In The Office Again
Feb 04, 2014

confront some of these MMEs and their snarky notes.  I said SOME MMEs. Some are wonderful, like Christmas and a new puppy rolled into one.  ...

MQ Ohio Office
Dec 02, 2009

Does anyone work for the Findley, Ohio office and if so, your opinion please. ...

Office Design
Jun 27, 2010

I want to reorganize my home office. Where is a good place to look for U-shaped desks? I have 2 computrers with 3 CPUs, printer, fax and reference books, not to mention 3 foot pedals, a mini casette transcriber, office files, multiple 3-ring binders, etc. etc. It would be so nice if it was compact, not spread out over the whole room - everything nice and neat and within reach. Is ths possible? and where do I start? TIA. ...

A Bit Of Comedy For A Bad Day At The Office
Oct 08, 2010

I will be placing this on the comedy board also, but since we at the evil Q have had such a bad day, I thought I would post it here also.  Enjoy the laughs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkN1LcuMoJw ...

MD Office Manager
Nov 06, 2010

I applied to this company a week ago and they had called me back for a phone interview yesterday.  They told me in an email that my scores were great, etc.  After the phone interview (which I thought went well) the woman told me that I would be contacted later that same day.  Well, she contacted me back about an hour later and said I was not a good fit for the company.  Does not make sense to me whatsoever! I am glad I didn't get the job, I don't think I wanted to ...

MQ Burlington NJ Office
Mar 14, 2011

Does anyone know anything about this office and if it employs MTs onsite or at home.  I live down the street and just curious. ...

UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE
May 29, 2012

NO WORK CONTINUES.....Time for ALL of us who are being cheated out of a living to head for the unemployment office.  How many folks out there will say TODAY...no more?? ...

Job For MT In Tennessee Office??
Jun 09, 2012

I saw a post on here from a few days ago and just had to ask is this really for an inhouse job?  I thought they did away with inhouse jobs.  the post did say $15 an hour.  Maybe we can hope that will be our pay in the compensation package??  I know that is a far fetch but one can only hope that there is some relief coming. ...

Advice How To Get Into An Office
Oct 23, 2012

Any advice on how one would go about getting into a doctor's office/clinic office.  The classifieds locally do not seem to post jobs for offices and the websites for the hospitals are for jobs within the hospital.  There must be a way I can use my transcription experience to get a desk job doing the phones and appointments and maybe a little transcription at a pediatric/orthopedic/whatever office.  I have been without a contract for 4 weeks and I have a few little pick up job ...

Frustrating Day At The UE Office
Jun 28, 2013

The TAA website as well as my state's UE website said I needed to visit my local UE office to find out if I was eligible for TAA benefits, so I went over there today. I was encouraged when on the sign in sheet it asked if I was affected by TAA, and I said I wanted to talk to someone about that. It went downhill from there. They really didn't know anything about it. The counselor put my social security number into his computer and then said I wasn't "coming up." Well why woul ...

Office Politics
Dec 14, 2013

Hi, Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the providers organized? I have one provider I transcribe for who never sends his work and then says he sent it when he didn't. I don't have any problems with the other seven providers, just one. When he does send the work, he always says "this is lost dictation" or "this was dictated and sent a second time". This has been going on for almost six years. I take pride in my work and really enjoy it until I get his work. I always say I can&# ...

I Wish We Worked In An Office Together
Aug 04, 2014

I would love to have a face-to-face chat with. :-D ...

HITECH - Home Office
Feb 11, 2010

I'm wondering where other people have their home offices/work computers?  My desk is currently in a corner of the living room but it's not in the main living area, so to speak. It's kind of off in this nook area off the living room. My monitors face outside and not into the living room.  I'm wondering if I'm going to have to figure out someplace else to put everything to be in compliance? I do have my computers password locked so no one else can ...

Is There Any Way I Can Install Office 2003 On
Mar 04, 2010

heard that Office 7 is difficult to work with.  I have to learn BeyondTx at the same time, and I don't want to be overwhelmed with all of this.  I have never used any office programs for work.  Thanks for any help.       ...

Working In A Doctor's Office 8-5
Jul 26, 2010

Have a potential job opportunity working in a medical office for one doctor and one PA, however, I need to provide them with what pay I am looking for. Really dislike when the pay question is turned around on me (sigh).  Anyhoo, job is a fulltime office job doing mostly transcription but there will be some other job office duties to help out in.  Sooo~ this is where you come in . . . what kind of pay are transcriptionist making in a medical office these days.  I have only don ...

EMR At The Doc Office Visit Today
Aug 09, 2010

Went in for annual OB/GYN today and saw the NextGen EMR monitors everywhere!  NP comes in the room and starts typing, althought it takes her forever to get through screens.  I asked about my records from my high-risk pregnancy 10 years ago.  She says they will be "somewhere in storage" but will never be assessible at any office visit from now on.  What???  I thought that was why EMR was going to be SO GREAT!  So we could access our medical records fro ...

How Can I Get MS Office 2003 CHEAP?
Dec 01, 2010

My new employer requires no higher than MS Office 2003, and I need to buy a computer - they all come with Office 7!  What do I do?? ...

Need Advice Regarding Office Politics
Mar 13, 2011

I would appreciate it if some of you could share your thoughts and offer advice about how I should handle a workplace situation.  I do MT on site and work Saturdays with one other transcriptionist.  We work on production and everyone's numbers are posted on an internal website for us to view.  Our production is being monitored pretty closely now because there may be staffing cuts in a few months and that is one of the criteria being used to decide who gets to keep their job.& ...

Does Every Doctor Office Have Coders?
Aug 04, 2011

Just curious.  And if so, do coders work as the primary billilng person as well or do they having a billing person and a coder.  I don't see too many jobs advertised for coders so I was wondering... maybe not all have them. ...

Premier Office Technology
Sep 20, 2011

Do they really expect someone to work 24 hours straight or am I misinterpreting? ...

The Post Office Is About To Lay Off 100,000 People
Dec 05, 2011

I just read an article yesterday on Huffington Post that because the Post Office is losing so much money they are gearing up to close hundreds of post offices around the country which will include up to 100,000 layoffs.  I can't even wrap my mind around that number.  Anyone who says we are not in a depression has their head in the sand.  ...

Started A New Job In A Real Office And I Am
Jun 09, 2012

reports that are forwarded.  Most of them are apparently computer generated and very hard to read.  I always wondered what reports looked like at the customer end --- not very good from what I can tell.  I have looked to try and see if the reports are transcribed or some sort of Epic or Dragon speak program.  I would hate to be the doctors trying to wade through this jumbled-up information and make any sense out of a patient's history.  We have two local hospitals a ...

MD-IT Southwest Office In Austin
Jun 12, 2012

Any information good, bad, and/or indifferent.  Did a search and really can't find any information on this particular office.  I know they use the GEMMS system is about all I know about them. Any information you are willing to share would be appreciated - inquiring minds want to know! ...

Home Office Tax Deductions
Sep 26, 2012

Tax deduction when you work at home is definitely worth it. My friend is an accountant and anything done to improve your house is deductible (including crazy things like carpet cleaning, window cleaning). I even deducted new appliances and furniture and carpets ( in other rooms). ...

NuWay Office Solutions
Feb 08, 2013

Can't believe I fell for this one. I tested on the first file they sent me last night. Very lengthy. The rest of the files are inaudible, just will make you crazy. I sent an email saying "forget it." I left my family to fend for themselves last night for supper and I almost spent 30 dollars for software to make my footpedal work!! Glad I didn't do that. What a waste of my time. Good luck to anyone that would take this job!!!!     ...

Microsoft Office 2013
Feb 27, 2013

It's time for a new PC, and I found a great deal on a brand new one that comes loaded with MS-Office 2013.  It took forever to get used to 2010.  Anyone here had experience with 2013?  Pros and cons, please.  ...

I Work At A Doctor's Office As An MT, But I Also
Aug 23, 2013

perform document scanning and indexing for all the hospital documents, correspondence and faxed documents they receive.  We share office space with another practice.  The other practice is a completely seperate entity with seperate payroll.  However, we share a phone line and as a courtesy I do answer most of the other practices calls, schedule their appts, and because I set at the front window, I check in all of our patients and their patiens, mostly because the girl em ...