A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE - Pixie

Posted: May 29, 2012

NO WORK CONTINUES.....Time for ALL of us who are being cheated out of a living to head for the unemployment office.  How many folks out there will say TODAY...no more??

Unemployment here I come! - hypertyper

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm on the phone to the Unemployment office right now. I believe we can draw for these reasons and get retrained under the TRA - work affected by being sent overseas. There is also something about workers displaced over the age of 50, you can make 10,000 a year if you are in school and working part-time as long as you make less than 50,000 a year.

Let's all get on the phone. What will they do when all their experienced MTs leave. These programs cover you for 2 years. Will they beg us to come back? We can make as much on unemployment and retrain ourselves.

Come on let's make a statement. Enough of this bull**** already.

UNEMPLOYMENT - Pixie

[ In Reply To ..]
Excellent post from hypertyper!!! Thank you so much for passing on information that ALL of us need in our scramble to be able to eat and pay our bills at the hands of corporate "NOT" America.

Sounds like a plan ! - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm over 50, willing to retrain for a job! I'm going to call and find out my options. Pharmacy Tech takes only 4 months to complete, this is one of the courses I'm thinking about. I also like that I can earn some $$ while in school.

unemployment/TRA - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Researching the issue about the TRA, I found this link at the US Dept of Labor - you need to exhaust all your unemployment benefits before you are eligible for this program...http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/tra.asp

Another option for the 50s and over - hypertyper

[ In Reply To ..]
There was also another option on the 50 and over. I'm still not quite sure if this is unemployment or just a federal plan but you can work full-time without school and get the 10,000 per year for 2 years if making less than 50,000. Something to consider. Especially for anyone that does not want to go back to school.

Let's all go out and at least research this.

The way it is now the two bigger companies have set the standard pay rate and all the smaller one's have to follow suit.

There probably is not much we can do about VR but they don't pay us enough for our knowledge and time spent on a quality report. That is where our pay has to increase.

I have felt this situation is hopeless for sometime, but for today I feel there might still be something we can do about this if we all stand together.

Let's keep this movement going. We have our 13 that started the law suit for backpay. Now let's keep the changes coming our way for once. I think we can do it!!!

Over 50 options? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you have any more information on this? I haven't been able to find anything
0ver 50 - hypertyper
[ In Reply To ..]
That is a program that is within the TRA or DOL-department of labor TAA and all of those programs. They are at both the state and federal level.

This woman I talked to said I didn't qualify. I think because I didn't fit between the lines of normal, she didn't even want to hear about my situation!!!

Have you ever tried explaining what is happening to the MT Industry?

Sorry to carry on. I still think there should be a way for us to get training through TRA or any other assistance.

Hope this helps.

TRA - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I applied when MedQuist was on the approved list for TRA and was denied because I was not laid off. You have to be laid off work to collect TRA benefits.

Where do we go from here? Coding/billing? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Nursing or anything related nowadays usually takes the schooling plus is there a job when you get out and you are 60+ and have no on-the-job experience? From what I have seen also that even coding requires experience. Too many of us looking for jobs, even college graduates. They are all taking jobs beneath their qualifications just to get a paycheck. Even a vet with a doctor's degree is working at Walmart! Laid-off postal workers are all looking too!

The advantages of going to Coding - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Everything you learn in coding can still apply to your transcription. Nothing would be lost if you decide to stay in MT. At the same time, you're prepared in case things don't improve.

Unemployment - BummedMT

[ In Reply To ..]
You won't qualify if you have been on the job less than a year!

not so. depends on the state you live in - uemt

[ In Reply To ..]
Not all states have that stipulation. The rules are different in each state.

Unemployment - bummedMT - MetooMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't qualify either. I live in Texas.

I'm in line too - TiredofMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been checking for work all morning, and 5-1/2 hours into my shift there has been absolutely no work, not even 1 job!

MI unemployment says I am underemployed and would qualify - hypertyper

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to call TRA seperately and need to contact them first before filing for unemployment. There is TRA at state levels and federal levels I believe.

More to follow..... :)

Just applied - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Not running out of work as a general rule, but my wages are reduced by 50%. Some states allow UE for reduced wages. Unsure if my state is one or not, but it was worth it.

Want to thank all of you for posting these things and putting some ideas into my head to get my butt in gear. I am struggling financially and maybe, just maybe, I can be helped by UE. I applied online and will post when I hear back, just FYI.

actually quite a few states will allow with what they refer - to as a significant salary reduction

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thanks SM - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate the glimmer of hope. I thought it might depend on how many dependents, etc., also. I am, also, the "bread winner" for the family. DH has health problems which caused him to be laid off from his career job a few years ago, and I was the major money maker in the family. We were doing fine, and now... too much to go into here, but not fine anymore. I hope 50% is considered a significant salary reduction in my state because we are about to drown.
Anon - jan2
[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't been following this thread, so probably missed a lot. This is for any MTSO, right? Do you have to prove that your income has decreased? I quit Medquist more than a year ago because I just couldn't take it anymore. Pay went way down, unfair practices, and on and on. Obviously, couldn't collect UE, and still have no job. Thanks.
Yes. over the past year so if the mtso contests it you can win an appeal - ..at least in my state
[ In Reply To ..]
at least try and good luck!

No TRA for me unless I get laid off or fight it - hypertyper

[ In Reply To ..]
Just got off the phone with local state unemployment office and was told I had to be laid off from my job and my company has to be signed up with TRA. She didn't want to hear about how my job has changed and work is sent to India. She also told me that they no longer train people to become coders/billers because there are no jobs! Just thought I would share that information. She basically told me to be glad I have a job at all and was rude and cut me off. More rig-a-ma-roll.

I guess I file for being underemployed, do more research, and see how it goes.

You might be able to - get grants for school

[ In Reply To ..]
If you aren't making much money anymore due to pay cuts and lack of work, you probably can qualify for grants or scholarships to help with tuition if you want to go back to school. There's no harm in looking into it.

It stinks that the UE contact was so rude. She probably has a tough job with the economy these days.

I am surprised that they said there were no jobs for coders/billers. I have been looking at jobs for a while now and see coding jobs listed in my local area often (upstate NY) and also jobs on the big employment sites. I've seen some ads lately for coders to work from home, but I would be cautious with that as you know what happened to MT when everyone was sent home. If you do learn coding, that is helpful if you want to go into health informatics. I have been looking into WGU's health informatics program. It is entirely online and you can test out of some classes or get credits for certifications and classes that you have already taken. The coding certification is one thing that you need for the bachelor's degree, so that would make you one step closer toward that degree if you decided to do it in the future.

Thanks - hypertyper

[ In Reply To ..]
I am just regrouping and not giving up the fight. I have found you usually have to fight for everything you get in this world.

Thanks for your input and I grants, etc. is something I had not thought about. I am still paying on the student loan I took for MT training 12 years ago, just making those minimum payments don't you know.

Am still filing for underemployment. I hope they let me go back 6 months when this started but I'm not counting on that either. Oh well, thank goodness my husband has a job that pretty much pays the bills, just no extras.

Once again thanks.

Similar Messages:

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

Unemployment Pay For ICs?
Dec 30, 2010

Wondering....was forced to change from statutory employee to IC status with federal ID number instead of SS# when MDI-MD was rolled into Transcend.  Now, Transcend informs that they are NOT going to be employing ICs after Jan 1, 2011. Would like to apply for unemployment, but am being told by a number of people that is not do-able because wages were paid under Federal ID #, not to my social and I signed an IC contract (under great duress, I might add!) Anybody have experience with this, ca ...

Unemployment ??
Aug 01, 2011

Has anyone applied for unemployment when you have run out of work? Just wondering, you can - even if you have work on and off, but not enough, depending on what your state requirements are.  I can no longer survive like this anymore, work then no work - I have only made 100.00 in a week and a half.  Anyone in this occupation should be able to be retrained through EDD as this job is disappearing and we are being taken advantage of ....... Just won ...

Where Does Unemployment Come From If....
Oct 16, 2011

If you live in 1 state and work at home but your employer is located in another state, which state pays your unemployment?  My state pays relatively low but if I am able to collect from my employer's state, I would receive slightly more money per week.  Anyone have any experience with this?   ...

Unemployment In CA-do You Go Through CA?
Apr 15, 2013

I am being told I have to go through TN since MModal is located there. ...

Unemployment FYI: If You Even Think, You Might
Oct 05, 2013

Start getting paperwork documentation in order NOW.  Here's hoping you don't need it, but you will be that much further ahead if you do.   Even if you're not at risk of being fired, laid off could be possible and you would still need this. It could be at least 21 days from the time the question arose, before you receive an answer about benefits.  If your case is complicated in any way, it will take longer. Try as hard as you can to save up at least 2, if not ...

Unemployment
Dec 23, 2014

Does anyone know if you would be eligible for unemployment if you get terminated because you are not "meeting contractual obligations" i.e. LPH/QA?   ...

What Does Your Office Set Up Look Like?
Dec 17, 2009

I want to redo my office space. It's just a little corner in my bedroom because I live in a small townhouse where I rent but I need to freshen things up before I die of boredom.  So what kind of desk, chair, keyboard, headphones, monitor, artwork, etc. make your workspace comfy?  :) ...

The Inner Office, Ltd.
Jun 25, 2011

Any comments on this company?  Thanks. ...

Wish We Were All In The Office Again
Feb 04, 2014

confront some of these MMEs and their snarky notes.  I said SOME MMEs. Some are wonderful, like Christmas and a new puppy rolled into one.  ...

Factoids On Unemployment
Dec 27, 2009

Some of you may know some or all of this about unemployment from the "employer's" perspective but here goes.  I just spoke to my brother who is the CEO of his very successful business, with only a handful of employees, but he is looking on netting over 1 mil. next year (!)  Anyway, he lives and works in California.  He told me that if someone applies for disability, the state contacts him to hear his point-of-view.  They tell him why the employee has filed, and he has a ...

Partial Unemployment?
Feb 16, 2010

Anyone had luck in getting partial unemployment as a PT employee?  I have a record of all NJA which does not happen every day but at least a few times each month. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me About Unemployment After Spheris Buy Out?
Mar 15, 2010

Can anyone tell me if I were to survive the MQ buy out and was actually hired by MQ but "things" changed quite a bit, would I be eligible to draw unemployment? ...

Probation And Unemployment
Sep 15, 2010

Does anyone know if you can collect unemployment if it doesn't work out with a company while you are on probation?  In other words, you do your 90 days and either you or the company decides it did not work out.  Can you then recieve unemployment?  Thanks!  ...

Unemployment Issues
Nov 10, 2011

Has anyone ever been offered a job and accepted offer letter only to turn it down and actually not start working at all at the company and then filing for unemployment benefits?  This is what has happened to me.   This happened to me and now evidently it threw up a red flag to unemployment benefits audit department.   Now unemployment has to check with that company I was supposed to start at to verify employment and now I have a 50-50 chance of getting benefits and have to wait a ...

Unemployment When No Work?
Jan 02, 2012

As usual with the holidays, I've not had work 3 days now. Does anyone know if I can draw unemployment? Has anyone working for MQ been able to draw benefits when there's days with no work? Any help would be appreciated.  ...

Unemployment Benefits
Jun 18, 2012

So much fun filing for partial unemployment.  Have to send in weekly gross wages, which MMODAL say they can't let me know that until 3 days before payday, which does not work, as I have to report WEEKLY or I lose benefits for that one week.  Just have to guesstimate what I earned by line counts straight and VR, but can't figure shift differential or what they screw you out of if you send too many QAs.  I've reported this to ESD and let them handle it. Tired of messi ...

Can An IC Collect Unemployment?
Sep 22, 2012

YES!!!!!!!! Ladies and gentlemen there IS hope! Because my employer dictated my hours per week, per day and the time I was to work unemployment considered that to be an employee status and NOT IC even though they didn't pay my taxes. This was the decision made after my prior employer appealed my unemployment benefits from them. Please keep the faith that these companies who try to dictate to IC's their hours, ect will NOT get away with it forever! I wish you'all the best of ...

Can I Apply For Unemployment Though I Have Sm
Dec 04, 2012

been working as an IC? Don't know anything about it and just got laid off.  Thx   ...

Anyone Out There Applied For Unemployment And Gotten It?
Dec 04, 2012

Has anyone out there applied for unemployment and gotten it that had been considered a statutory employee? ...

Retraining Through Unemployment?
Dec 12, 2012

Wondering if any long-term MTs are out there that have had problems since going to SR have gotten fired and qualified for retraining through unemployment?  In the 14 years I was a MT before SR my quality was never below 99%, always well above required lines.  I guess I just cannot read as well as I can type.  I have even seen my doctor, who says that since reading uses a different part of the brain than typing, it's possible that I have had ADD and was never bothered until th ...

Unemployment Applications
Dec 27, 2012

thinks it is odd to be glad there is one person employed whose duties are to work hard to deny as many unemployment applications for softscript as they can?  applications that were made for unemployment due to NJA/OOW http://forum.mtstars.com/448985.html at softscript it is not just about PROCESSING the applications but working to make sure they are denied. just wondering if the OP is still glad that person has a job. one person has a job at the expense of many, many who do not. i do ...

Unemployment Appeal Concerning TTS
Mar 01, 2013

just wanted to share that I won my Unemployment appeal concerning TTS.  They have to pay me retroactive to Dec.  Finally good news, almost makes me want to continue to do MT work ...

If Unemployment Tell You That You Can't Receive
Mar 27, 2013

unemployment because you got fired and makes you feel like a criminal, what am I supposed to do? I live in Ohio, but I did live in Florida and Ohio told me I have to call Florida to finish up my benefits, but Florida told me that they have to investigate my case and that I can't receive unemployment anyway because I got fired.I have no hope now and I will be homeless if they don't help me. I don't know, what do I do? ...

Layoff And Unemployment
Apr 04, 2013

beyond smarmy, they terminated the part time MTs because when they apply for unemployment (and they are without question able to get it because their jobs were eliminated) they will find the govt will document the last five quarters of their employment and base their rate of pay on a percentage of that.  This will probably reflect a very low rate of unemployment insurance compensation that no one can live on, and thus not apply for unemployment.  BUT if enough people do get unemploymen ...

Unemployment Benefits??
Aug 16, 2013

Since we were paid by the report and not per line or hourly in radiology, are we entitled to unemployment benefits? ...

What Are The Reasons One Would Not Get Unemployment?
Sep 06, 2013

n/a ...

Unemployment Regarding Incentive Pay
Oct 01, 2013

Hi guys, I just filed for unemployment. I worked in a hospital and was laid off because of VR. I was paid 10.07 an hour plus incentive, which made me average about 17.00 an hour. The unemployment folks are telling me that I cannot count that incentive pay and they will only go by the hourly of 10.07! That's NOTHING! Does anyone know if this is correct or have you had the same issue and fought it and won? ...

Nuance And Unemployment
Oct 29, 2013

Recently fired from Nuance - an account I worked at 10 years before they even existed! Anyway...is there anyone out there that has received unemployment from this joke of a company? ...