A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What's a fairly hourly rate? - FB86

Posted: May 19, 2011

I've been out of the transcription loop for the last 2 years while I've been getting my registered nursing degree.   I did transcription for 20 years until I got tired of the nonsense.  I'm done with school, studying to take my boards, but have been offered an hourly part-time position.  Can someone tell me what hourly pay is going for now?   I was production paid for most of my transcribing years for the last few years I took an hourly employee rate at a clinic and left them making $22.50 hour.   I'm in Houston, Tx if that makes any difference.  What would be fair to ask for nowadays?

Wow, hourly rate at this career? - where at??

[ In Reply To ..]
I know that one doctor I do IC for is production pay but ends up being about $20/hour. The MTSO I work for pays pennies and with them I average between $7-10 an hour. This ain't what it used to be. Not sure about Houston. I'm in the midwest. I know that if I were to get vacation pay with my job, it pays $12/hour. I only wish I could hit that with my production. Good luck in your endeavors! :)

Whoa Trigger! - SS

[ In Reply To ..]
I think I'd like to be a transcriptionist in Houston. I would ask for $22.50 because that was your end salary at your clinic position two years ago; and offer your salary request to be "negotiable." The expectation of earning $20+ an hour (employee status) at a transcription service, especially with the advent of editing speech-recognition reports, may be wishful thinking. Good luck, and congratulations on your R.N. degree!

Wow, would love an hourly job that paid that much! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am currently an IC on production with a national averaging $20 an hour. I would love to get an hourly position locally with benefits, but the rates here are between $9-13 an hour. That would be just too much of a paycut to even consider it.

My cpl rate is about the equivalent of $6.50/hour. - $22.50 is great pay, wish I made that! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
XX

Follow up to first post - Fb68

[ In Reply To ..]
Like I said, the job I quit 2 years ago was paying $22.50/hr. I was supposed to interview for PT work. I woke up this morning not feeling well and called to reschedule the interview. I happened to ask how much the pay rate would be and mentioned how much I made at my last MT job. The HR person told me they were paying $13/hr. This position is waaaay on the other side of Houston. Not enough for gas or the hassle of the drive.

Thanks to the person who congratulated me on getting my RN degree. Trust me, it wasn't easy, but I just didn't see transcription getting any better. I used to make really good money from home. I'm studying for my licensing exam and hoping to land a nursing job soon. Good luck to you all! Honestly, I miss transcribing - from home for GOOD pay. I don't know how ya'll stick to it other than just like me, it's basically all I had ever done till I got brave (or crazy at 41 y/o) and decided to go back to school. Thanks for the comments. Good luck!

Day care costs and rising fuel - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Those are the two reasons I stick with transcription. Daycare costs are phenomenal when you have a 1-year-old and a 2-year-old. Just not worth it. And gas here is still over $4/gallon.
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be a great RN, and Lord knows we need great RNs. :)

Congrats to you! - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I could never be a nurse. I worked as a clerk in the ER and the dirty, stinky folks that used to come in I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole! Lots of people use the ER as a clinic, not emergency, and you'd think they take a bath or something. LOL, that's what my mom made us do when we went to the doc.

Anyway, I stick with MT because I still bypass that $22.50 average with my line count. Like the other poster said, with the price of gas, clothes, lunches, even if my paycheck goes down a bit, it just doesn't seem worth going out of the house.

if cpl rate equals 6.50 an hr, perhaps should stepl it up a bit. - passing through.

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

What's An Hourly Rate?
Dec 26, 2009

I am thinking of getting into medical transcription but all I read on here is negative posts about how little work is available and how you are all getting paid less than you were last year.  Now, please don't flame me, I know this is a cheeky question, but to be quite honest ".08 cpl" doesn't mean much to me.  Would anyone mind telling me what they actually earn per hour (when the work is there) and how many hours per day they generally work.  It will just give me an id ...

Hourly Rate For MT
Dec 23, 2012

Are there any companies that pay hourly for MTs and/or QA? ...

Hourly Rate?
May 28, 2015

How often is the hourly rate supposed to be re-calculated.  My production has been up but that hourly rate has not changed for some time.   ...

Hourly Rate Versus Cpl
Mar 01, 2011

Been at a cushy happy place clinic job for a few years, no audits, laid back, nice.  Making 18 d/h.  Type the same stuff, over and over.  Boring, but no nail biting.  I produce 300+/hr.  Should I take a position from home?  Will I be making a mistake? I need some opinions pleeease. ...

Average Hourly Rate
Jun 29, 2011

I'm re-applying to MQ as I desperately need a job.  My question is, are you all able to make at least $10.00 per hour still??  I ask because in searching around, it looks like $10.00 is the best I'm going to be able to do.  I do radiology so I will probably end up doing a lot of editing which I have never done before, so I'm just curious to see if $10.00 is realistic doing both straight typing and/or editing?  Any info appreciated.  Such a shame that its c ...

Does Nuance Pay Hourly Rate?
Feb 10, 2012

I've seen several posts mentioning this.  I'd probably make more money hourly than this 4 cpl editing I have to do.  ...

How Is The Hourly (PTO, Holiday) Rate
Jan 28, 2013

Do they just average the pay for the month of January or do they go back a couple of months?   ...

What Is A Fair Hourly Rate?
Mar 29, 2014

Can anybody please tell me what is a fair hourly rate for a transcriptionist in a single-doctor office in Texas? The last time I worked as an MT in a clinic was 18 years ago. I then worked for a large hospital and made about $9 more an hour than my highest clinic pay. After getting laid off, I worked for N for a few months and have been out of the MT field for a little over a year. Thanks in advance! ...

Pay By Line Versus Hourly Rate
Sep 16, 2010

Hi all. I'm a newbie to these boards. I've been reading all the posts here about the VR programs.  More production + more hours = less pay. Does anyone here work for a company that has gone to an hourly rate instead of pay per line?  And if so, what are your thoughts/experience on this?  I'm working for a company that has changed us all over to hourly pay and I'm still very unhappy. ...

Is An Hourly Rate For QA/editor Unusual?
Jul 11, 2011

Also, how much experience do Account Manager/Shift Manager types have?  Years ago I worked for a couple of MTSOs and my "supervisors" had less experience than me (and would have to ask me to figure out blanks in reports) so I'm guessing its often just a matter of how long you've been there and who you know and sometimes how much you're willing to put up with (one supervisor bragged that she worked about 20 hours a day). ...

Regarding Hourly - They Upped Line Rate But...
Dec 01, 2011

... it is still not possible to make minimum wage even for those of us who edit VR at lightning speed, because there is no work during many of the shifts (mine).  I've been promised another account, told no other shift is available.  A line rate increase will not help me at all.  They have sent most of the work overseas now, lost a few accounts, and cannot afford to lose all US MTs.  I am aware of nine others besides me, who have lawyers. Quick, numerous complaints from ...

Hourly Rate For Editors At Nuance
Mar 05, 2013

Anyone know what the hourly rate is for editors at Nuance?  I don't want to waste time applying if not good.  Do you run out of work there?  ...

What's The Starting Hourly Rate For QA At Nuance?
Apr 16, 2014

x ...

Where Can I Find My Hourly Rate On Ultipro?
May 29, 2015

x ...

Avg Hourly Rate For Hosp Emp MT Who Works From Home?
Jul 26, 2011

Or where can I find out for myself please?  I just need a range. ...

Do We Get Paid Our Full Hourly Rate For Down Time
Jan 12, 2013

Do we get paid our full hourly rate for down time? ...

Update On Fair Hourly Rate Question
Apr 05, 2014

Last week I asked what you all thought was a fair hourly rate for a one-doctor clinic MT. I went to the interview on Tuesday. The job ad was for a "medical records transcriptionist." The office uses an EMR. The nurse practitioner uses the EMR, but the doctor uses a piece of paper that resembles the EMR screen and checks the appropriate boxes and writes additional comments. The job is to take those papers and input the data in the EMR. It's not actual transcription, no headset or foot pedal ...

QC Editor Position At Nuance Hourly Rate
Aug 15, 2014

The Nuance QCs are paid hourly, anybody have an idea what the range is? ...

Hourly Rate Is Just Barely Above Minimum Wage In My State.
Jul 11, 2014

I am truly at a loss to understand why my pay continues to decline. I thought I already hit rockbottom. I am averaging far, far less than I did 30 years ago. ...

What Is Average Hourly Rate Paid By Major Healthcare System
Oct 26, 2011

for transcriptionists.  Always been paid by line count production and now I am looking at an hourly rate.  Company won't tell me pay rate until interview.  Afraid that it will only be like $10 an hour and don't want to bother with interview if it will be too low.  ...

Need Advice; Fairly New At Medquist
Jun 07, 2011

Hi.  Sure glad to find a place where I can "talk" to other MTs who work where I do, different than what I am used to, as I was used to being able to email co-workers!  It gets lonely.  And I don't get much info from my supervisor.  Anyone work on the SSM Accounts?  Know what has happened to the work?  I am wondering whether I should just start working for my second job full time.  It is straight transcription, a small company, and I get no benefits but muc ...

As A Fairly New Ambulatory Employee (less Than 6 Mos)
Dec 03, 2014

I understand nothing of this.  I don't understand FIESA because I was not under it.  However, what I do understand is a cut in pay.  I'm doing well right now if make $200.00/week, mostly OOW, working a total of probably 3 days a week, and $200/week is actually on the higher side of the estimate.  So, here is my prayer for me and all you warriors.  Come Lord Jesus, come.  Deliver us out of Egypt, from this Pharaoh known as Nuance.  Such deception is a ...

Patient Continued To Run A Fairly High (s/l) Captovil
Jun 27, 2013

cantovil/captobil      Patient is 3-year-old boy with Kawasaki ...

Fairly New And Was Pleasantly Surprised To Get A Generous Bonus
Dec 10, 2014

Is this a profit sharing bonus or do we normally get a bonus around Thanksgiving every year, and will we also get a Christmas bonus. Thx ...

Are There Any Companies That Have Good Health Insurance And Fairly Cheap? Sm
Feb 03, 2011

I go to the doctor a lot and have a lot of prescriptions, so I need a company that has good health insurance, and hopefully doesn't charge a lot for it.  I used to work at OSi and was thinking about going back there, but another poster on here said their insurance is $1000 a month for family!!!  Thanks for your help!      ...

Are There Any Good Quality Fairly Inexpensive Alternatives To ExpressScribe?
Sep 28, 2013

Was given some sample dictation to listen to and could play it on Google Chrome and it sounded very clear, but when I played it with Express Scribe (even using the special audio processes) it sounded a lot worse - more like in a tin can and a bit scratchy. For the "real" dictation, I'll have to use ExpressScribe or some other player. Thanks for the suggestions. ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Can QA Fairly Be Called "correction"?
Sep 11, 2012

Recently a guy from the state called asking if the MTSO regularly "corrects" MT work. The answer is... what is the answer? I mean, an MT corrects their own work, to the best of their ability. If you get stumped on some bad audio or weird name or medication or medical term and Google fails, Word Help board fails, you send it to QA, and they try to fill in the final blanks. But is that really "correction"? Because the MT (if they aren't slacking and/or incompetent) knew they didn't kno ...

MQ Pays 1 Rate For 100% QA, A Lower Rate For Non 100%. How Do You
Oct 29, 2011

ty ...