A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Was looking for a decent MT job ANYWHERE - IMANMT2

Posted: May 08, 2014

Notice I said decent..not fantastic, dream, etc.  I planned on working for any money I got.  I've been an MT for a while, we DO work for our money.  I don't know who started the rumor we don't and need to get less because the consensus is now an idiot can do the job.  Maybe that's how you get the medical records that the doctors, themselves, cannot decipher or make sense of without (wait for it) guessing.  (I think we've all sailed in that boat the SS Your-Guess-Is-As-Good-As-Mine).  Anyhoo.  The medical scribes are attacking again. 

I found this ad for a local hospital corporate conglomerate clinic thing

First it's not scribe it's medical assistant  and after the blah, blah, about their corporate mission, how wonderful they are, and patient satisfaction being 98%, they finally get to the job description and here it is...

The person in this position will be acting as a medical scribe. The medical scribe performs all clerical and information technology functions for a physician in a clinic setting. This includes primary responsibility of the operation of the electronic health records and electronic dictation system. Must be able anticipate physician needs to facilitate the flow of clinic, and must be discreet, tactful, and modest in performance of duties so as not to distract medical staff from patient care. Will accurately and thoroughly document medical visits and procedures as they are being performed by the physician. This individual may also prepare referral letters as directed by the physician, via dictation or summary of the medical record, and ensure that letters are mailed or faxed on a daily basis to all physicians involved in a patient’s care, and with all copies of pertinent reports or tests attached. May be asked to research contact information for referring physicians, coordinate referrals, prepare operative reports, make phone calls, and other clerical tasks as assigned. Must be able to spot mistakes or inconsistencies in medical documentation and check to correct the information in order to reduce errors. Will ensure that all clinical data, lab or other test results, the interpretation of the results by the physician are recorded accurately in the medical record, and will alert physician when chart is incomplete. Must comply with specific standards that apply to the style of medical records and to the legal and ethical requirements for preparing medical documents and for keeping patient information confidential. May attend trainings on diverse subjects such as information technology, legal, HIPAA and regulatory compliance, billing and coding.

Requirements:
Must be a registered or certifed MA. A high school diploma or GED is required. Need the ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Must be proficient in typing and good at spelling, punctuation, grammar, and oral communication. Must be able to listen to complex medical information and summarize in a clear, complete, and concise fashion. Excellent English composition skills are required to generate professional, polished writing at a high rate of production. Handwriting must be clear and legible. Understanding of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, diagnostic procedures, pharmacology, and treatment assessments to the extent required to understand and accurately transcribe dictated reports. Translate medical abbreviations into their expanded forms. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Have the ability to refer to reference materials to solve problems. Should be able to learn and use all functions of electronic medical record software and transcription software. Must accurately enter data into a database, search for information. Must be able to type words and numbers quickly and accurately; must comply with HIPAA confidentiality standards when accessing or communicating patient information. Need someone with orthopedic experience who is familiar with the terminology and general knowledge of orthopedics.

So what they are saying is they DON'T want an MT? - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
What a crock of (fill in the blank here)! Basically, thanks to VR/SR and now point and click, MTs are not going to be needed for even editing anymore? And no specialized training to become a scribe? WOW! Post this ad in all the high schools then and get 'em fresh out of the gate. I'm so glad I wasted 2 years of tech school and thousands of dollars to become an MT.....NOT!

What a shame this is what it's become :-(

IDK whether to be angry or sad

They still want an MT. - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
They are just disillusioned with the outsourcing of MT and some of the disastrous results that follow. And I don't think they want to pay the sometimes-ridiculuous costs of MT and instead of assigning the blame to the middle man they're shooting the messenger or the transcriptionist. They've been listening to the wrong people AGAIN. SOMEONE has been buzzing in their ear that MT can be successfully and safely eliminated. Here, buy this software it will solve all of your problems. It cannot. The job description reads like a wish list. And not only is it still an MT, they want her to take on MORE responsibilities, maybe learn coding, too. (Cause, you know, if the rest of the office staff could DO MT, they'd have them doing it.) All of the increased duties, and what of the pay? Well the hours are decreased.

But I have a question... if you're in the exam room for every encounter shadowing the physician or NP or PA, when do you do the other work or are you supposed to have ALL of that done in the 7.5 minutes to 15 minutes an exam consists of? And notice this one job, at least, is part time not full time.

I don't know. I say as smart, capable people we go about our merry way, if MT is working for you great, if it isn't find something else. If it creates a hole or deficit in a workforce then it can only increase wages. If they pay enough money, you can always consider going back. We have options. You can't make much less than 8.25 an hour and as an IC with all that that entails (taxes and social securit/FICA), it is below minimum. Not to mention the degree of difficulty that for many years we have not been compensated for at all. It was more like be grateful you have a job.

My daughter's friend graduated from a podunk jr. college with a computer science degree (generic door opener) in a very, very small town, basically the school is a front for the football, basketball, baseball, and other sports teams. She makes 25 an hour helping employees at a refinery work their computers. "Did you reboot?" Sometimes she is on call. (Thats money, too, and at home.)

I see your point. I wouldn't want to be a scribe anyway - not with the added work

[ In Reply To ..]
and same (or less) pay. I'm looking to get out of MT altogether, and possibly even healthcare. I'll just go work in a factory somewhere making widgets until retirement (30 years to go).

I appreciate this post. It still ticks me off though that that is what is happening to us (or has already). Oh well, VR ruined us and we left. They can come crawling back and beg us to transcribe again (we're sorry, we made a mistake, please take me back). NOPE!
I don't want a scribe sitting in during my exam! - NotNewMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously, I absolutely do not want a scribe in with the doctor or PA. I think that is intrusive and if I ever have someone other than an NP, PA, nurse, or physician in an exam with me, I will request that they leave. I would not want a transcriptionist in the room, either. Would anyone want a computer tech in the room during the exam? A plumber? A mechanic? Not me.
Perhaps that is why they require a "registered - or certified MA"
[ In Reply To ..]
That job is not doing what you do as an MT. It is considerably more than that. You just type what you hear. This job expects you to generate the material yourself.

I dont care certified or registered whatever, there is going to be - NOBODY in that room with me but the doc. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
and I will darn well speak up and say so. The scribe/MA/MT/whatever will get out or I will leave and be damd if I will pay for the visit. And I will NOT hesitate to fight the charges and tell the whole clinic administration why.

I'm paying to see the doctor, not to have somebody else listening in and typing and distracting the whole visit.
Really, no doctor needed? - Val
[ In Reply To ..]
Since the MA "generate" the material her/himself? Sounds like you are disparaging us stupid MTs who "just type what you hear." Really? Have you heard doctor gibberish? Yet, we generally can produce something readable and useable and NOT FROM JUST LISTENING, but by using our analytical skills.
I don't even like having the computer in the room. - Takes the doctors attention away. :(
[ In Reply To ..]
If I went back to MT, I'd want $25/hour to START, - and bennies up the whazzoo. (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]
pffft yeah right keep dreaming - mt is worth nothing
[ In Reply To ..]
they will never pay that kind of money again.
Precisely, which is why I'm not applying to any - MT jobs. Theyre no longer real jobs. nm
[ In Reply To ..]

doctor's job - 55

[ In Reply To ..]
The job description is basically a physician's job description. So this person is to watch the entire exam and document it...that is ridiculous...would the md say, "and now I am performing a straight leg raise to 90 degrees.."how silly and uncomfortable for the patients.
No, they expect you to know what he is doing. - Sm
[ In Reply To ..]
That is why they don't think an MT can do this.
MTs shouldn't want to do this no message here - IMANMT2
[ In Reply To ..]
MA and MT - 55
[ In Reply To ..]
I am an MA and an MT--I think this is ridiculous. The MD would have to think out loud so that nothing is missed. The scribe cannot be a mind reader.
Sure, the doctor can know what he or she is doing - Val
[ In Reply To ..]
but still has to communicate the findings. An MT could figure it out what's going on. It's not rocket science.
It is the doctor's responsibility not ours - IMANMT2
[ In Reply To ..]
to document the care he gave the patient as a permanent and correct addition to that patient̢۪s history. It has always been incumbent upon the treating physician to ensure that information is accurate (because we weren̢۪t there to double check and not qualified to guess). And we merely facilitated and expedited that process. We were too good at what we did. More and more physicians could rely on us to catch and correct or flag errors.

They hate to dictate, they hate the paperwork. For one thing there̢۪s no money in it, another it is tedious and time consuming. I think some of that ill will towards what our job represents was transferred onto our profession. That̢۪s how they could deny what we did while relying heavily upon it. Nameless, faceless women typing in the background, which was fine with me as long as I got paid, but perhaps not the smartest attitude to adopt in the long run.

This job ad depicts most eloquently what they think of us and what we do and I for one do not intend to ride this pony into the ground or wait for it to get its second wind.. I̢۪m going to do what everybody else does, I̢۪m going to get another horse.

We can̢۪t strike because we aren̢۪t united enough (at all), we̢۪ll just have to act individually (our biggest disadvantage as workers) and leave the profession or what̢۪s left of it until they come to their senses, if ever. I hope we leave in droves so our absence is felt. It might make a qualitative difference to the ones left behind who can̢۪t or won̢۪t leave, and of course, our profession (or what's left of it) in general.

We can do anything we set our minds to. What we have done for decades alone, in our homes, little or no supervision or support, and little or no formal "education" (if you know anything of my other posts, I don't think much of the MT schools or programs) what we have accomplished is nothing short of awesome. You take that energy, that ability, that level of competency and point it in any direction you are going to have success. We were successful in Medical Transcription until they started stacking the deck against us.
Many days I'm amazed at what is expected of me..sm - Feather Tuscadero
[ In Reply To ..]
Recently I got a brief talking-to from my employer (private practice) that I got something wrong in an echo report. Now, *I* know that I only put what the doc says, so if it was wrong, it was her error. She said I should've known what she dictated was wrong. Dumbfounded, I told her directly that I am not a doctor or a nurse or an echo tech, and I COULD NOT have known what you said was wrong. She relented, but this exchange happens about once a month. We in the office all know how careless she gets when she's tired, mad at a patient, mad at her husband, already has her mind on the weekend or her vacation, etc. It happens, mistakes get made, but i refuse to be held responsible for diagnostic errors! I've been doing this for 17 years, I know an awful lot, but I have my limits. Funny how those above us flip-flop from considering us on one day "just a typist" to the next day where we're expected to be a PA!
everybody makes mistakes, EVERYbody - signalfire
[ In Reply To ..]
It might be helpful if you could pull up the dictation and check it (and show it to her if possible); other than that, a simple 'we all make mistakes, both of us' should suffice. Knowing the nuances of a dictation whatever the specialty is for the highly trained, not the underpaid; anything more than that is gravy and they're not paying gravy wages...
She's very reactionary...sm - Feather Tuscadero
[ In Reply To ..]
She's a hot-headed Cuban who speaks before she thinks. You pretty much ride out her rant, then explain your side if she hasn't stomped off to her office. Sigh.
This particularl instance was beyond nuance, it was deep into diagnostics, nothing any MT would know (without being trained in reading the actual echo video, which I would venture to say most MTs are not...not that I have access to that anyway!). Of course, she doesn't realize the other 30 mistakes/misspeaks I've corrected each day without bringing them to her attention. Whatevs. Nothing a glass of wine can't cure.

What's strange is requiring MA cert...sm - Feather Tuscadero

[ In Reply To ..]
In the office where I work, the MA is who puts the patients in the exam rooms, takes their vitals, reviews med lists with the patient, and perform the EKG. They also call in prescriptions and answer patient phone questions. In short, it's a patient-centered job.

As the MT, I'm the one who transcribes and files and faxes, etc.
I don't know any MA who went to school to do "scribing." It's usually a stepping stone to nursing.

looks more like a PA than a MA- - mtinmi

[ In Reply To ..]
I see pay is not listed.

Scribes in ER here make $8.50 an hour - TXMT

[ In Reply To ..]
For that generous pay, you have to pass hearing and vision tests. You will work 12-hour shifts following the ER doctor while carrying a tablet like an iPad. It may not weigh as much as a laptop, but at the end of a 12-hour shift, it will be heavy. Also there is not a set shift with the same days off and you are required to be on call. Are they nuts?!

YES or more accurately people who do it are - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
nuts or desperate for work (as they should be?).

For a code in the ER, they usually get an LPN (choice) to scribe what is going on, she takes over for whoever was doing it freeing up the RNs to work the code. wonder if they will have the tech or scribe do it now. Wonder what Joint Commission thinks about that.

I saw a post where some lady(MT) has a web site for people to post abouut errors in your medical record, she is working with/thru Joint Commission regarding the integrity of the medical record nowadays.

I'm amazed at what hospitals want - for 8-10 bucks an hour

[ In Reply To ..]
At least that's been my impression from the help wanted ads at my hospital. If the minimum wage goes up, McDonalds workers will make more.

well, I guess what they keep saying on the news is true - EVERYONE is in the economy slump. NM

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Decent $ For Working As An IC?
Oct 18, 2010

Since there are many job postings for an "Independent Contractor", what would be a decent amount to charge?  Charge per line or per report?  Looks like a lot of paperwork is involved as well as estimating what you think you will make to the IRS.  Would like some opinions from transciptionists who have worked or currently work as an IC.  Thx.     ...

Cannot Find A Job For Decent Pay.
Jun 16, 2011

I have been unemployed for about a year now.  MQ took over my hospital and thus the entire transcription department was eliminated.  Even the union could not keep this monster out.   About 15 of us lost our careers.   I have looked into several positions and cannot find any company that will pay me even 80% of what I am taking home on unemployment benefits!!!  At 58 years of age I am too young to retire but perhaps too old to learn something new.  ...

Decent Headphones
Jan 07, 2011

I just graduated and am starting the job search process. The headphones I used during school are pretty trashed. I want to get a decent pair that aren't super expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions/pair they really like? ...

MT Decent Jobs
Dec 31, 2012

How hard is it to find a decent job these days? ...

Decent Companies
Nov 25, 2013

any decent companies out there that have never been heard of on this board?  There are so many that repeat themselves all the time and no one wants to work for them because of that.  Any other ones that are not so common? ...

Is It Too Much To Ask For One Report That Is Decent?
Jan 09, 2015

I cannot even get ONE decent report where I don't have to change every second word. Most of the time I end retyping the whole report because the ASR is so poor. I just want to tear out my hair between the poor sound quality, having to deal with terrible dictators and ASR that is now either cutting off every other word or just plain incorrect words.  ...

EXText - A Decent VR Program
Dec 24, 2009

My company is switching me to a VR account in which I will use EXText for VR editing.  Just wondering if you can make decent line counts with this program?  ...

To Get Decent Lines An Hour
Aug 04, 2010

Hi, I seem to struggle with line counts (a few years into MTing).  Some accounts I am fine with and some very slow.  Because of the nature of the work (and working from home), I have no way to gauge if the faster accounts are just abnormally easy or the slower accounts are abnormally hard.  - Do you all (who have decent line counts) feel like you are moving like a mad person or just moving along at a decent pace? Any ideas on how to tell what my issues are or what the scoop is?&n ...

Who's Decent With Math? Have A Question About That 5%......
Oct 05, 2010

Okay, so today if I did 1320 lines and sent 93 lines to QA, which was only 2 reports all day.  Wow it adds up fast!  This is more than 5% for today (not sure exactly what % but I'm sure it's over 5%).  I'm pretty sure this is an average day.  So, I'm still confused about how much we get docked.....will I get paid 3 cents less a line for EVERY line starting when I first go over 5% in any given week, which will be the FIRST day?  Will it be on EVERY lin ...

Companies Out There That Pay Decent Cpl Rates?
Aug 19, 2011

Are there any companies out there that pay decent cpl rates?  I am noticing most are offering .07 cpl.  Are there any that pay .10? Thanks in advance! ...

Looking For An IC Position With A Decent Company
Dec 13, 2011

I've been working as am employee for the past several years, but I think I'm ready to move back to IC status.  Can anyone point me toward some of the better companies?  Thanks! ...

Is 4.5 Cents For VR A Decent Rate?
Feb 29, 2012

And what is the average line count a person averages with VR in an 8-hour shift? Thanks! ...

Making Decent Money Doing VR
Mar 28, 2012

Just wondering if anyone out there is actually making decent money doing VR as apposed to straight typing? ...

Any Companies With Decent Benefits?
Mar 26, 2014

Hoping to get some opinions on better ones - I already know all about the others! Thanks. ...

Any Companies Have Decent Insurance?
May 11, 2015

Hi all!  I really need to work for a company with decent health insurance for an individual.  I think it would be a good reference for everyone if you could reply with the name of your MTSO, your health insurance premium, and whether it's individual or family.  Anyone want to participate?  ...

M*Modal - Does Anyone Make Decent Money With This?
Jan 03, 2010

I have been using M*Modal for about a month and a half now and I was really trying to give it a shot, but I am really doubting that I can ever make good money with this program.   I used to be able to transcribe approximately 25 min/hour and these were docs that went pretty fast, so I usually got 250 to 300 lines/hour @ 9/line, so I made about  22.50 to 27.00/hr.  Now with M*modal, they dropped the line rate 4/line and there is just no way that I ...

Does It Seem Like It Is A Lot Harder To Make Decent Lines?
Sep 27, 2010

Here lately it seems like I am doing more work, and getting less lines. Anyone else having the same problem? ...

Impossible To Make Decent Lines.
Feb 18, 2011

I have been put on 3 new accounts this week and I have been having a hell of a time making any lines at all this week. Now, I hardly get any work from my old account. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve my line count? ...

Is Anyone Really Making A Decent Living Doing Speech At 4 Cpl?
Jun 09, 2011

I am looking into to taking a second job to make extra money.  My main job pays by the hour as I work directly for a hospital and it is a combination of speech and straight transcription work.  Consequently, I'm thinking maybe taking a strictly speech job would be easier on my neck, shoulders, arms, and hands, but I don't want to be wasting my time.  If I'm not going to make any money doing it, why bother? So I would like to know if there are any MTs out there who ...

Good Line Count Per Day For Decent Cpl.
Nov 07, 2011

Just wondering what a good line count per day would be to make decent CPL for a decent paycheck.  (on VR)  Currently getting paid by the house, but SOON to switch to CPL. ...

Amphion Has Decent Health Benefits?
Nov 22, 2011

Can anyone share if Amphion has decent health benefits and what full-time employees must maintain to keep benefits? Thanks! ...

Is There A Decent Company Left To Work For?
May 15, 2012

I am so tired of this line of work, but right now it is all I've got.   I quit MQ, who bought out Spheris, because of all the MANDATORY OT, hostile emails, etc, and now I am working for Transcend, who is being bought out by Nuance.  God only knows what I'm in for now.  I can't make the line count half the time because for some reason the counts are really whacky.  I have to work twice as hard to make what I made at Spheris and I have the supervisor breathi ...

Is Everybody Still Making Decent Line Count With
May 17, 2012

Just wonderin'. ...

Amphion-Is Anyone Making A Decent Paycheck?
Aug 21, 2012

I understand they don't pay for spaces, headers or footers so one would assume this would greatly reduce line counts. ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living As A MT Anymore?
Nov 14, 2012

I quit my in-house MT job, a job that I had held for almost 20 years, a little over a year ago because of a new boss who drove me and about 10 other people to quit because she was so hard to work for.  I thought long and hard about it before I quit, but could not see myself putting up with her for the next 10-15 years until I could retire.  She was making some of us physically ill because of stress.  I believe we may have been "creatively downsized".  Since I q ...

Anyone Know Of A Decent Paying Company For Radiology?
Jan 07, 2014

Looking for work in Radiology.  Currently working, but making very poor income even at 6 cpl editing.  That should be good, but I don't know why I am not making more.  Maybe the way they count the lines or something.  Anybody know of a good place for a decent income in Radiology? ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living At Landmark Doing VR?
May 21, 2014

Over the past few months, the account that I am on has gone from being at least half straight typing to almost all VR, with only a very small handful of dictators that are still on straight transcription.  I am having a really hard time making a living since this has happened and my paychecks keep getting smaller and smaller.  I am wondering if anyone else is in the same situation, or if it's just me.  My account is a pretty busy one, but most of these VR reports are a comple ...

Is It Possible To Make Decent Money With TransTech E-Scription VR? Nm
Dec 29, 2009

nm ...

Radiology Jobs Still Making Decent Money?
Mar 17, 2010

Are there any MT's out there that do Radiology and still have good accounts and are still making decent money???  Just checking, going to lose my biggest account in a few weeks..... ...

CURRENT Info Re Diskriter? Any Decent MTSOs? HELP!
Aug 12, 2010

I've been contacted re radiology position with Diskriter.  All the info I've found here on the board is pretty old.  I'm really curious as to what current/past employees think of the company now.  Anyone done radiology for them? Wondering about ESLs, pay rate, flexibility in schedule, NJA - basically all the standard questions we want answered before we make a jump to a company?  Help!  I've been an IC for one hospital for over 10 years but but r ...