A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cannot find a job for decent pay. - Joyce

Posted: Jun 16, 2011

I have been unemployed for about a year now.  MQ took over my hospital and thus the entire transcription department was eliminated.  Even the union could not keep this monster out.   About 15 of us lost our careers.   I have looked into several positions and cannot find any company that will pay me even 80% of what I am taking home on unemployment benefits!!!  At 58 years of age I am too young to retire but perhaps too old to learn something new.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

58 is the new 48 - Dreamweaver

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. However, I am glad to hear that you were laid off versus your former employer "looking for a reason" to fire you (being "union" may have protected you from that?).

I have an idea for you. What's your favorite specialty? Look in your Yellow Pages and send cover letters and your resume to doctors in your area. Or, let your personal physicians know that you're seeking employment. MDs are a good network for opportunities: Went for a doctor's visit and walked out with a job offer despite I wasn't looking for work. Met a doctor socially; he offered me a job despite I wasn't looking for more work. Worked in an office and a referring physician called me at work and asked if I would transcribe for him, too. Another place where I worked, one of the MDs was leaving and asked if I would transcribe at home for him. Etc.

Or, if you know an MT who's an IC, maybe you could subcontract.

With your acute-care background, you have good possibilities. The highest line rates I've seen on this Website is for an MTSO called ROI (radiology/IC status).

I hope this has inspired you...at least a little bit.

Wishing you success.

58 in the new 48 - Joyce

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate your advice! Great stuff! I will start looking for doctors in the area.

58 new 48? Tell that to the hospitals I apply at! - I"m 60, could pass for 40, but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
of course, not only do they never see me in person, but there's no way to hide your age these days when applying. Of course, that's not to say that I don't try to, but when you were at your current job for 5 years, and your previous one for close to 30, they can figure it out by doing the math.

It doesn't take a crystal ball to see that there's going to be a WHOLE LOTTA AGE-DISCRIMINATION going on in this country in the next decade, as all of us Boomers hit that magic 6-0 and 6-5 birthday. So, if we can't work, and we can't afford to retire, then what? A firing squad?

Proofread - Proof of the Matter

[ In Reply To ..]
What is your proof that these hospitals at which you have applied have practiced age discrimination against you?

TOTALLY AGREE - I'M 58 TOO! - oaf

[ In Reply To ..]
You are so right! I've been looking for a part-time job for months and nada, zip, zilch. I have 35+ years experience (much of that acute care). A few years ago there would have been a zillion offers. I guess we practice saying "do you want fries with that" or the every popular "Welcome to Wal-mart" - sad note there they never called either!!!

Just curious, didn't MQ offer you a position with them? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Same thing happened to me a few years back, whole department wiped out. We were all offered positions, although I am the only one of us still with MQ. Just wondering if they are no longer offering jobs to displaced hospital employees.

Just curious, didn't MQ offer you a position with them? - Joyce

[ In Reply To ..]
We were using the DocQscribe platform (which MQ was helping us with) and then they made a deal with the hospital. The deal included NOT to hire any of the current staff. We were saddened that they didn't include us in the deal.

I think you dodged a bullet by not getting hired - by MQ, which is Evil personified. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

Was Looking For A Decent MT Job ANYWHERE
May 08, 2014

Notice I said decent..not fantastic, dream, etc.  I planned on working for any money I got.  I've been an MT for a while, we DO work for our money.  I don't know who started the rumor we don't and need to get less because the consensus is now an idiot can do the job.  Maybe that's how you get the medical records that the doctors, themselves, cannot decipher or make sense of without (wait for it) guessing.  (I think we've all sailed in that boat t ...

Decent $ For Working As An IC?
Oct 18, 2010

Since there are many job postings for an "Independent Contractor", what would be a decent amount to charge?  Charge per line or per report?  Looks like a lot of paperwork is involved as well as estimating what you think you will make to the IRS.  Would like some opinions from transciptionists who have worked or currently work as an IC.  Thx.     ...

Decent Headphones
Jan 07, 2011

I just graduated and am starting the job search process. The headphones I used during school are pretty trashed. I want to get a decent pair that aren't super expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions/pair they really like? ...

MT Decent Jobs
Dec 31, 2012

How hard is it to find a decent job these days? ...

Decent Companies
Nov 25, 2013

any decent companies out there that have never been heard of on this board?  There are so many that repeat themselves all the time and no one wants to work for them because of that.  Any other ones that are not so common? ...

Is It Too Much To Ask For One Report That Is Decent?
Jan 09, 2015

I cannot even get ONE decent report where I don't have to change every second word. Most of the time I end retyping the whole report because the ASR is so poor. I just want to tear out my hair between the poor sound quality, having to deal with terrible dictators and ASR that is now either cutting off every other word or just plain incorrect words.  ...

EXText - A Decent VR Program
Dec 24, 2009

My company is switching me to a VR account in which I will use EXText for VR editing.  Just wondering if you can make decent line counts with this program?  ...

To Get Decent Lines An Hour
Aug 04, 2010

Hi, I seem to struggle with line counts (a few years into MTing).  Some accounts I am fine with and some very slow.  Because of the nature of the work (and working from home), I have no way to gauge if the faster accounts are just abnormally easy or the slower accounts are abnormally hard.  - Do you all (who have decent line counts) feel like you are moving like a mad person or just moving along at a decent pace? Any ideas on how to tell what my issues are or what the scoop is?&n ...

Who's Decent With Math? Have A Question About That 5%......
Oct 05, 2010

Okay, so today if I did 1320 lines and sent 93 lines to QA, which was only 2 reports all day.  Wow it adds up fast!  This is more than 5% for today (not sure exactly what % but I'm sure it's over 5%).  I'm pretty sure this is an average day.  So, I'm still confused about how much we get docked.....will I get paid 3 cents less a line for EVERY line starting when I first go over 5% in any given week, which will be the FIRST day?  Will it be on EVERY lin ...

Companies Out There That Pay Decent Cpl Rates?
Aug 19, 2011

Are there any companies out there that pay decent cpl rates?  I am noticing most are offering .07 cpl.  Are there any that pay .10? Thanks in advance! ...

Looking For An IC Position With A Decent Company
Dec 13, 2011

I've been working as am employee for the past several years, but I think I'm ready to move back to IC status.  Can anyone point me toward some of the better companies?  Thanks! ...

Is 4.5 Cents For VR A Decent Rate?
Feb 29, 2012

And what is the average line count a person averages with VR in an 8-hour shift? Thanks! ...

Making Decent Money Doing VR
Mar 28, 2012

Just wondering if anyone out there is actually making decent money doing VR as apposed to straight typing? ...

Any Companies With Decent Benefits?
Mar 26, 2014

Hoping to get some opinions on better ones - I already know all about the others! Thanks. ...

Any Companies Have Decent Insurance?
May 11, 2015

Hi all!  I really need to work for a company with decent health insurance for an individual.  I think it would be a good reference for everyone if you could reply with the name of your MTSO, your health insurance premium, and whether it's individual or family.  Anyone want to participate?  ...

M*Modal - Does Anyone Make Decent Money With This?
Jan 03, 2010

I have been using M*Modal for about a month and a half now and I was really trying to give it a shot, but I am really doubting that I can ever make good money with this program.   I used to be able to transcribe approximately 25 min/hour and these were docs that went pretty fast, so I usually got 250 to 300 lines/hour @ 9/line, so I made about  22.50 to 27.00/hr.  Now with M*modal, they dropped the line rate 4/line and there is just no way that I ...

Does It Seem Like It Is A Lot Harder To Make Decent Lines?
Sep 27, 2010

Here lately it seems like I am doing more work, and getting less lines. Anyone else having the same problem? ...

Impossible To Make Decent Lines.
Feb 18, 2011

I have been put on 3 new accounts this week and I have been having a hell of a time making any lines at all this week. Now, I hardly get any work from my old account. Any suggestions on what I can do to improve my line count? ...

Is Anyone Really Making A Decent Living Doing Speech At 4 Cpl?
Jun 09, 2011

I am looking into to taking a second job to make extra money.  My main job pays by the hour as I work directly for a hospital and it is a combination of speech and straight transcription work.  Consequently, I'm thinking maybe taking a strictly speech job would be easier on my neck, shoulders, arms, and hands, but I don't want to be wasting my time.  If I'm not going to make any money doing it, why bother? So I would like to know if there are any MTs out there who ...

Good Line Count Per Day For Decent Cpl.
Nov 07, 2011

Just wondering what a good line count per day would be to make decent CPL for a decent paycheck.  (on VR)  Currently getting paid by the house, but SOON to switch to CPL. ...

Amphion Has Decent Health Benefits?
Nov 22, 2011

Can anyone share if Amphion has decent health benefits and what full-time employees must maintain to keep benefits? Thanks! ...

Is There A Decent Company Left To Work For?
May 15, 2012

I am so tired of this line of work, but right now it is all I've got.   I quit MQ, who bought out Spheris, because of all the MANDATORY OT, hostile emails, etc, and now I am working for Transcend, who is being bought out by Nuance.  God only knows what I'm in for now.  I can't make the line count half the time because for some reason the counts are really whacky.  I have to work twice as hard to make what I made at Spheris and I have the supervisor breathi ...

Is Everybody Still Making Decent Line Count With
May 17, 2012

Just wonderin'. ...

Amphion-Is Anyone Making A Decent Paycheck?
Aug 21, 2012

I understand they don't pay for spaces, headers or footers so one would assume this would greatly reduce line counts. ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living As A MT Anymore?
Nov 14, 2012

I quit my in-house MT job, a job that I had held for almost 20 years, a little over a year ago because of a new boss who drove me and about 10 other people to quit because she was so hard to work for.  I thought long and hard about it before I quit, but could not see myself putting up with her for the next 10-15 years until I could retire.  She was making some of us physically ill because of stress.  I believe we may have been "creatively downsized".  Since I q ...

Anyone Know Of A Decent Paying Company For Radiology?
Jan 07, 2014

Looking for work in Radiology.  Currently working, but making very poor income even at 6 cpl editing.  That should be good, but I don't know why I am not making more.  Maybe the way they count the lines or something.  Anybody know of a good place for a decent income in Radiology? ...

Is Anyone Able To Make A Decent Living At Landmark Doing VR?
May 21, 2014

Over the past few months, the account that I am on has gone from being at least half straight typing to almost all VR, with only a very small handful of dictators that are still on straight transcription.  I am having a really hard time making a living since this has happened and my paychecks keep getting smaller and smaller.  I am wondering if anyone else is in the same situation, or if it's just me.  My account is a pretty busy one, but most of these VR reports are a comple ...

Is It Possible To Make Decent Money With TransTech E-Scription VR? Nm
Dec 29, 2009

nm ...

Radiology Jobs Still Making Decent Money?
Mar 17, 2010

Are there any MT's out there that do Radiology and still have good accounts and are still making decent money???  Just checking, going to lose my biggest account in a few weeks..... ...