A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Who's decent with math? Have a question about that 5%...... - Kiki1

Posted: Oct 05, 2010

Okay, so today if I did 1320 lines and sent 93 lines to QA, which was only 2 reports all day.  Wow it adds up fast!  This is more than 5% for today (not sure exactly what % but I'm sure it's over 5%).  I'm pretty sure this is an average day.  So, I'm still confused about how much we get docked.....will I get paid 3 cents less a line for EVERY line starting when I first go over 5% in any given week, which will be the FIRST day?  Will it be on EVERY line or just the amount I go over for that day?  I am so confused. :(   Or is it figured a different way?  And help would be so very much appreciated....my CCM is MIA as per usual......

5% - MTr

[ In Reply To ..]
Today you have 7.04545% - 93 divided by 1320 x 100. You still have time to get it down as it is on a weekly basis, Sunday to Saturday.

Amount of lines sent to QA divided by lines transcribed (or edited) the entire week x 100.

5% - BH

[ In Reply To ..]
How do you divide it up and figure different rates for transcription and ASR reports?

I know amount sent to QA, but I don't know at which point to apply the 5%.

I have asked CCM and payroll and nobody has replied.

Anything over 5% that goes to QA - amounts to

[ In Reply To ..]
3 cpl less.

It doesn't matter if it is ASR or straight typing.

MTr - Thanks so much. Can I ask one more question? - Kiki1

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's assume this is how it was pretty much every day, so by the end of the week I ended up with that 7% QA submission rate. Does that mean that my entire week's worth of lines is paid at 3 cents less a line OR just 2% of my entire lines, the amount that went over the 5%? Either way it sucks, but I need to know..

I totally agree with the post down below about comparing MQ's docking of our pay simply by asking for help....would a pharmacist, for example,get his or her pay docked if they couldn't read the doctor's writing on a label? I think NOT.

To Kiki1 - MTr

[ In Reply To ..]
Only the lines that are submitted to QA after 5% are paid at 3 cents a line. All other lines, the ones up to the 5% and the lines you did not send to QA are paid at your regular line rate. Hope that helps. And yes, it does suck.
MTr - Thanks again, really appreciate it your clear explanation :) n/m - Kiki1
[ In Reply To ..]
:)

5% - BH

[ In Reply To ..]

In order to figure my pay after the 5%, I would like to give some approximate figures. This is 5% per week we have to figure.

If my lines were 3,000 per week, and the total lines that I sent to QA of that week were 500 lines, I know I am supposed to figure 5% of that 500, and exclude that.  Anything over the 5% of 500 lines sent to QA, I count at the reduced rate.

Of that 500 lines, 100 lines were from straight transcription reports, and 400 were from speech recognition reports.  If we don't care if they were SR or TR, then we take 5% of 500 which is 25 lines.  OK, now is 500 - 25 = 475, how do we know what to multiply by what?  I don't know what part of 475 lines I multiply by 0.534 cpl and what part to multiply by  8 cpl. 

To BH - MTr

[ In Reply To ..]
Let me try and simplify this for you. First of all, forget straight typing and ASR, it does not matter.

You transcribed (or edited) 3000 lines for the week, and sent 500 lines to QA.

500 divided by 3000 times 100 = 16.666666 (assuming they round it up, you sent 17% to QA)

Here is where you went wrong-- it is 5% of the 3000 lines, not 500, which is 150--these are the lines you do not get charged for. The remaining 350 lines would be paid 3 cents a line = $10.50.

The other 2500 lines would be paid at your line rate, depending on straight typing or ASR.

Hope this helps.
5% - BH
[ In Reply To ..]
I just looked on my paystub for tomorrow's pay and under lines typed and pay earning detail, I don't see anything different that last pay period, except I do see something on shift differential. Most of my hours after after 6 PM, EST.
5% - BH
[ In Reply To ..]
This new 5% rule did not start on the 10/8 pay. I just talked to payroll. Last pay period, our pay for SR went down to 4.8 cents per line, because of the new rule where they are going to pay us 60% of the 8%. This is bad enough, but we could be paid 1.8 cents a line for that "over 5% rule", and some of these reports that go to proofing because of an author omission or error, are as large as 215 lines, really pushing up my percentage.

WOW! Looks like MQ found a way to pay their QA dept! - shortcake

[ In Reply To ..]
I would keep track of every report sent and if it was due to dictator error, etc. I can't imagine that it is legal to dock you for something that you cannot possibly have control over. Just today (thank God not with MQ anymore) I had 2 reports from same dictator with descrepancies all over the place, what is one to do, guess??? In one of the reports he dictated the patient's age 3 times and each time was a different age and did not give the DOB. Something is very wrong if an MT were to be docked in their pay for something like that!!!

DOCK PAY - MQHATER

[ In Reply To ..]
Someone sitting at a desk who has NEVER transcribed a day in their life is making these decisions. Who in their right mind would dock an employee or asking for help? We all know a 2nd set of ears is needed at times, no matter how long you have been in this business. For them to dock peoples pay is absolutely absurd. Every day I hate this job more and more. I am looking forward to giving my notice and getting out ASAP.

It would be the equivalent of...sm - Tink

[ In Reply To ..]
...docking a pharmacist's pay if he/she couldn't understand a doctor's handwriting and had to confirm the order with the doctor. My husband works at a hospital, and when MQ first started FTR and I told him about it, that is the analogy he came up with. When you're dealing with patient data/patient safety, wouldn't any patient and doctor think it better to double check than be cheap and try to guess? To bad the bottom line usually always wins out these days, and that's not just in the MT world....
DOCK PAY - MQHATER
[ In Reply To ..]
That is a good analogy and a good point. I think it is more important that the medical record is correct. MQ thinks it is more important that they make money off us. It is a sad state of affairs. I'm looking hard for a new job and hope to find one soon. I don't like to be associated with this company. They have a bad reputation
I just don't know how this can be legal. We all - shortcake
[ In Reply To ..]
get difficult reports from time to time and with this ridiculous rule they are encouraging you to guess which could be dangerous, and also if you have several blanks who wants to even bother referencing if you are being docked anyway. It just seems like they are finding a way for the MTs to pay for their reports to be QA'd, which should not be acceptable to anyone who works there. You are smart to get out. I hope you find something soon. MQ does not deserve the good hard-working people they have. Unbelievable....
legal - MQHATER
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know how it can be legal either. It makes no sense to me. MQ definitely does not deserve all the hard-working MTs that are there. They take advantage of us and find more and more way to reduce our pay. I want out really bad and hope I find something soon as well.

day late dollar short - nightowl

[ In Reply To ..]
Just now seeing this discussion. . . now as far as I know, if the dictation is cutting out, or there is a discrepancy of any sort, you can do a Ctrl shift Q, and that doesn't go against you, but it gets stopped with the client, and then they have to figure it out. And if you do put a blank in, you can still send it on if you believe that no other MT could figure it out either, and that won't go against you either. So I listen and relisten, slow it way down, maybe do a report lookup or two (yeah it sucks all that time that goes into it), maybe go to One Look using wildcards, and if I still have no frickin idea what the heck the provider said, I just put a blank in and let it go through.

Similar Messages:

Been Doing The Math...
Mar 08, 2012

...and I'm wondering about everyone else's situation.  If I work diligently and have work available, I can do 300-350 lph in SR, so that's $12-$14 an hour.  My hours actually spent engaged in my job, getting ready for my job, getting to my job, getting home from my job, etc. are basically the hours I'm working and the few minutes it takes me to boot up.  I have no car (don't need one--spouse and I work the same hours), no uniforms, no lunches out, no conve ...

New Math?
Jun 04, 2014

Just got notified the national audit team did a June audit on me and I failed.  I had the incorrect birth date.  Stupid me.  I am usuallly so careful that what is dictated and what ADT have are in sync.  This 1 got by me.  Said my audit score was 96.75.  If a critical error is 3 points, how can this be?  Even 97 would be failing.  HMMMM?  Guess slow down and triple check everything.  Back on the "worry wagon" again.  What will happen? ...

Let's Do The Math
Jan 14, 2015

Let's say you have 1,000 MTs.  If N manages to keep $100 per week per employee due to penalties, that is $100,000 each week that Nuance gets to keep....for nothing.  Multiply that by 52, and they get $5,200,000 to keep per year just on platform, QA, QC, LPH.  And how many MTs are there?  And how much more than $100 are we losing?  But heaven forbid they have to increase you by a few dollars to get you up to minimum pay.  Check where your total lines are comin ...

Anyone Out There Really Good At Math?
Mar 16, 2010

I've tried to do the math to figure exactly how much of an "increase" this is.  I'm sure it's chicken feed, but since I keep getting a different answer when I try, I'll never know. I subtracted my old rate from my new rate and got 0.0013.  Is this 1/13th of a cent my raise per line?  Lordy that cannot be right!   I kept doing it over and got different answers, and I don't know how, but math isn't my forte.  What does 0.0013 mean?  Is i ...

Not Good At Math...
Aug 30, 2010

If you were to be paid 0.80 cents for every 1000 keystrokes, what would that be equivalent to?  ...

Has Anybody Done The Math For The Incentive And
Oct 17, 2010

I'm unsure if my math is correct, but this is what I got.  I average about 300 lines an hour for my 8-hour shift.  In order to reach the cap over the 4 days, I would need to type 16,666 lines above my normal line count.   That would be 4167 lines extra a day.  In my case, at 300 lph, that would be almost 14 more hours I would have to work daily on top of my normal 8.  I suppose 1 hour to sleep and 1 hour for eating and potty breaks a day is all I need, right?& ...

I Stink At Math
Mar 22, 2012

Here's my deal...I got a report a couple of days ago that shows my avg LPH for the previous ppd along w/ some other stats.  It shows that I edit appx 300 LPH (cut me some slack as I'm fairly new on these auths).  If I multiply that by an 8-hr shift and my line rate (0.045 cpl), I keep coming back to about $20 more per day than I'm actually getting.  My straight transcription pays about double the VR edit rate, so WTH am I missing.Apologies for being dense, but I rea ...

Need Math Conversion
Sep 24, 2014

if my current job is calculating a line at 55 char w/spaces and a prospective job calculates a line at 65 char w/spaces -- I am so dumb with math anymore -- what would be the equation I'd use for figuring LPH that I might make in an hour on new job? thanks!! ...

Cut In Pay Varies, I Did My Math
Dec 03, 2014

Many posts on this convoluted mess called a compensation plan. Here are my positives: 1) I don't have to notify payroll if they posted more lines than I should have gotten. I have no clue how many compensated lines I should be given. 2) I don't have to notify payroll if they overpaid me. I will never know. 3) I will know where all the food banks are and every other means of help with utilities, etc. Now, here's my negative after doing the actual math: 1) I am losing $350 per ...

Fuzzy Math
Apr 02, 2015

I just received my March report, graded at 99.3% and the accepted standard is 99.6%. There were 5 audited reports - 3 @ 100%, 1 @ 99.75% and 1 @ 99.3% which was the last one. My March report said I averaged 99.3% and need to improve quality, proofread, ADT screen, dates, labs and so on. Problem is, one missed comma gave me the 99.3% score. Yes, one comma in that report, nothing else was noted. Just doing simple math to come up with an average score for my audited reports (5) is 99.81% surpass ...

Did My Blank Math
Apr 04, 2015

I was consistently going over the metrics for blanks being submitted to the client and decided to keep track of why I was sending those blanks.  It turns out that 77% of my blanks are due to either discrepancy or audio issues; blanks that I am positive nobody could fill in.  77%!  These metrics either need to be done away with or adjusted for doctors that don't take the time to not be idiots.  The most common discrepancy is incorrect age or something else that I can fill ...

Is This Correct Math?
Jun 10, 2015

If I am part time at a company that pays 3 cpl and I do 1000 lines a day - that is only $30 before taxes?  I must be doing something wrong here mathwise. ...

Need Some Help With Math Regarding Line Count
Mar 18, 2010

What in the heck does .05 for every 43 black characters equal out to. It doesn't sound good but I'm no math whiz. Maybe, I'm missing something and who pays like that. What happened to X-amount of cpl based on a 65-character line..or even a gross line. I suspect it's a sneaky way to screw you but I could be wrong. ...

To Our Math Lovers: If You Withdrew $500 From IRA
Jan 27, 2011

have you REALLY lost, say over 20 years?  ...

Math Fun For Medquist Employees
Sep 15, 2011

search for the cpi calculator. Type in what you originally started making when you first worked for Q converted to dollars - like I started at 6 cpl, so I type in 6.00. then type in the year and calculate.  Mine comes up a little over 9.00. converting that to cents, I should be making a little over 9 cpl -- that amount has the same "buying power" as 6 cpl did when I started.  But actually I'm making a little over 7 1/2 cpl -- This works out to that I now have about 80-some percent ...

I Have No Idea What Kind Of Math They Are Using
Dec 14, 2011

In any case, I've been ignoring it.  You can double check your pay by taking the amount of money in the Current column and dividing that by the number of lines in the Piece Units column.    It may be a little bit more if you work nights and get the shift differential as it seems that they add that on.  It would be nice if they would show that in a seperate row like they did before Ultipro ...

No Good In Math, Please Assist Me
Nov 21, 2013

found to be about one and a half to one and three quarters. How to write in numbers?? Thanks. ...

Mercedes Pay Cut - Would Someone Check My Math?
Sep 10, 2014

On reading the posts below, if an MT makes 8 cpl and pay is cut down to 6.5 cpl, that is an approximately 20% pay cut. Then, going from a 65-character line with spaces to VBC (a 65-character line without spaces), that is an approximately 30% pay cut. So, 20% plus 30% equals an overall 50% pay cut.  Can that possibly be correct? ...

I Suck At Math; Which Is The Larger Number: 0.180 Or 0.250?
Jun 21, 2010

Thanks!  ...

Math Whiz Help Needed. $25,000 At 3.00% Interest.
Jan 04, 2011

x ...

Welcome To Synernet Math. Fifty Licenses = 61, Sm
Jul 14, 2014

and maybe 20% equals over 50%. I hope my landlord understands this new math when I say that this is all my rent money and it is only half. ...

Taking A Stab At The Math Of $75/AUDIO Hour
Apr 24, 2013

If I understand this right, the calculation is $75 per audio hour - that means for every 60 minutes of dictation, the scribe is paid $75. If it takes one hour to complete the job, you make $75 per hour Two hours, $37.50 per hour. Three hours, $25 per hour. Four hours $18.75 per hour. What am I missing?  It typically takes at least three hours to transcribe one hour of dictation (audio).  If there is heavy formatting, difficult audio, etc., you can expect it to take longer.  U ...

Evidentally, 99.75 Plus 99.75 Averages Out To 99.50 (MM Math = Failed Audit.) NM
Mar 30, 2014

NM ...

Good Grief, My Time Czar Is SO Math Challenged!
Jan 28, 2015

Nm ...

Was Looking For A Decent MT Job ANYWHERE
May 08, 2014

Notice I said decent..not fantastic, dream, etc.  I planned on working for any money I got.  I've been an MT for a while, we DO work for our money.  I don't know who started the rumor we don't and need to get less because the consensus is now an idiot can do the job.  Maybe that's how you get the medical records that the doctors, themselves, cannot decipher or make sense of without (wait for it) guessing.  (I think we've all sailed in that boat t ...

Decent $ For Working As An IC?
Oct 18, 2010

Since there are many job postings for an "Independent Contractor", what would be a decent amount to charge?  Charge per line or per report?  Looks like a lot of paperwork is involved as well as estimating what you think you will make to the IRS.  Would like some opinions from transciptionists who have worked or currently work as an IC.  Thx.     ...

Cannot Find A Job For Decent Pay.
Jun 16, 2011

I have been unemployed for about a year now.  MQ took over my hospital and thus the entire transcription department was eliminated.  Even the union could not keep this monster out.   About 15 of us lost our careers.   I have looked into several positions and cannot find any company that will pay me even 80% of what I am taking home on unemployment benefits!!!  At 58 years of age I am too young to retire but perhaps too old to learn something new.  ...

Decent Headphones
Jan 07, 2011

I just graduated and am starting the job search process. The headphones I used during school are pretty trashed. I want to get a decent pair that aren't super expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions/pair they really like? ...

MT Decent Jobs
Dec 31, 2012

How hard is it to find a decent job these days? ...

Decent Companies
Nov 25, 2013

any decent companies out there that have never been heard of on this board?  There are so many that repeat themselves all the time and no one wants to work for them because of that.  Any other ones that are not so common? ...