A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Tips on staying focused anyone?! - sm

Posted: Oct 12, 2010

Normally, I'm very disciplined about work.  I have a very stable job, very good pay, great accounts.  I am just having trouble staying on task. 

Mind you, I do not have to just push and push.  I just need to relax and complete a report, upload it, do the next one.  I can breaks when I want to. 

There is NOTHING wrong with my situation except as soon as I start a report my mind goes to a zillion other things I would rather be doing.  I can hardly get through a single report at all.

Even thinking that I might lose the job is not enough right now to keep me in the game.  

I've thought about it and I don't hate this work.  It's not too hard.  I'm not underpaid.  I'm not micromanaged.  I enjoy the work.  I just don't know what is wrong with me these last few days. 

ANY tips or advice to stay focused, etc., would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

re: sm - on task

[ In Reply To ..]
I know EXACTLY what you mean. This works for me:

Make a work schedule and stick to it. Even schedule your breaks and lunch.

Every day or every other day take a jog or a long walk. Even if you have to schedule it!

Make time for yourself outside of the house. Working at home is not as easy at it seems and we get into ruts a lot. Laundry, dishes, phone calls, INTERNET are and can be huge distractions. The "i'll get back to work in a couple of hours" mentality was killing me and what I was doing was working all day and night 7 DAYS A WEEK! Then I really didn't have any time or focus.

The schedule works for me and works great. Now I only work 4 days a week and only work my schedule. I am very productive and have tons of time for me and family!

I hope you can get a little something from this. For a couple of years my sanity was on the line. I took this advice from my psychologist. She helped me manage my time and helped me regain my sanity!

I've struggled with the same thing - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
Especially when I'm tired, I'm distracted by anything and everything. I'll find myself going into Google to look up a term that I'm verifying and the next thing I know it's 20 minutes later and I've gone into 4 other directions. Oops.

One thing I eventually did was block all of the "time sink" websites on my desk top. I can surf in the living room on my lap top when I'm not working.

http://www.rakshitk.com/blog/2008/05/18/how-to-block-websites-without-using-any-software/

I have found that makes a huge difference for me.

Some days I have my iPod hooked up to the TV and familiar movies playing on a loop. I have the sound turned down, so all I have are the pictures in the corner of my eye, but that seems to help me for some reason. Weird, I know, but it's like it's keeping me company without distracting me.

The other thing I do is I have an excel spread sheet set up that I enter my daily lines into and I have it set up to total the lines at the end of the pay period and tell me how much I'm going to make. I have another one with my bills on it so I know how much I have to shell out. If the lines aren't quite hitting the bills, then that helps me be a little more focused because I'm freaking tired of being broke after a really bad job decision several months ago.

Another poster on here once said that she taped her bills to the computer screen and every day as she made enough to pay one more bill, she took that one down for the month.

Good luck. Hope you find something that works for you.

I am very competitive - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes I make it a competition. For example, I set like speed goals. In my head, I'm thinking "There is no way I can get __ charts done in an hour". Then, my competitive side kicks in and says "Oh, yes I will get it done". I know it sounds silly, but it works for me. Now, that I work from home and have no one to have little competitions with, I just have them with my self. I have an account that others work on, and I will have my own little competition with them also.

I have been prescribed Adderall in the past, but I just refuse to take it. So, I just do the best I can. Sometimes, like if I am wanting to look at something on the internet or get a snack. I will set a goal of so many charts and tell myself I can do whatever it is I am wanting to do when I get that amount done which makes me work faster because I have that goal on my mind. It is all a mind game.

Have a money/line goal and do not let your mind wander until you have met it. - Same goal daily.

[ In Reply To ..]
I often found myself "finding" other things that I needed to do, laundry, dishes, vacuuming, even walking out to get the mail, e mailing friends, or phone calls. Some days that time can add up.

I have a goal of 2000 lines a day. I no longer do the "other things" until I have met that goal. If I am running behind, I will even eat at my desk while I am working. Most days, before I know it, I have reached that goal in 7 hours. Then I let myself get into "other things." As the above poster said, you actually have to have the self discipline to compete with yourself.

Burnout - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Like me, I think you are in burn out!!! I have not had a vacation for YEARS. and i am sooo tired and just "don't care" anymore and I too have great accounts and great dictators, no ESL or difficult American dictators.

I'm in a similar situation - burnt out too

[ In Reply To ..]
I love my job and in our family I am the only one working so I have to have my job, but I'm there too. I am so burned out. I too have not had a vacation since 2002 when my mom died and I traveled back for her funeral. Because I am the only one working I have to work. Everything I make pays the bills (and I mean everything). We have no money to save, no sick time, no vacation, no nothing. We live in an area of the country where unemployment is 20% or higher. No jobs for DH here so are looking to move. Unfortunately in order to move we need more income, but you can't get a job unless you live in the area. Seems like every minute of my free time is spent thinking about where we are going to move to, how are we going to get there. Where is there some place that has employment for him, especially since we just read an article that said our state was going to be losing more jobs.

I love my job and it's pretty easy and don't know what I'd do if I wasn't working, except probably preparing to go to a homeless shelter, but I'm so burned out too.

I agree. It's burn out. I run into that a - couple of times sm

[ In Reply To ..]
a year, times where I feel I cannot handle ONE MORE DAY of this. I have to force myself to work and I tend to "space out" at my desk or get easily distracted with other things. It does pass eventually. I think it has to do with never being able to take a vacation, never a whole weekend off, always feeling money pressures, never being able to just take a deep breath and "relax" about life. Constant stress.
You describe what my life feels like now. Only good thing, seems like when a - funk passes, I can get in the groove SM
[ In Reply To ..]
better and lines increase a bit. That is the only thing that keeps me working on.

No jobs for DH, or no jobs DH will do? If there is a family to support, - BOTH parties need to bring in income. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
slk
Easier said than done - until you are in our shoes... - burnt out too - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, both parties should bring in income. Don't think we've tried that? Unless you live in this town you really do not know. Since my DH is neither a mechanic, doctor, lawyer, teacher, nurse, salesman, bank teller, etc he is not going to apply for those jobs he is not qualified for. When he did talk to an employment agency here they said they would call him when something meets his qualifications. He has been told he doesn't have the skills in the areas that are looking for work (above mentioned), and for other jobs he has been told he is over qualified. When you open up the newspaper each day and see 7 jobs listed (all for the above mentioned fields he's not qualified in) and you get on the computer and there are no jobs listed in the area you live in. Then you call up to the next nearest town and they tell you when you get there apply, otherwise they are not accepting applications if you don't live in the area, it's just a very difficult thing.
Can he mow grass? TIme for Christmas help in stores. Rural area help farmers? Handy man - work? Help at Angel Ministries to get food?
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Well, you've just got it figured out for everyone, huh? - Go fly a kite!
[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, if she lives in part of the country that has an actual winter with snow and the grass quits growing, mowing lawns won't really help, now will it?

Second of all, the unemployment rate is sky and all those unemployed people are applying at the same stores looking for Christmas help. The only way to get on there is to know someone on the inside who can put your application on top.

Help farmers?!?!? Yeah, cause the farmers are doing so swell that they are just dying to pay someone and cut into what little profit they may make this year.

Finally, handy man work -- well I could use a handy man since I'm a single mom, but I can't afford a handy man. So there ya go. I would hazard to guess that most families right now can't afford to pay a hand man and just manage to fix things on their own

Angel Ministries doesn't pay. It's VOLUNTEER. So that's not an income.

We are in a recession! And you would insinuate that this poor woman's husband is simply being lazy or not looking. What is wrong with you?

I'm working two jobs and I am totally burned out and some people just irritate me and the poster above is one of them! Kicking someone when they are down, burned out and stressed financially just to further your own sense of superiority is just disgusting!
It's not all black and white - - burnt out too - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
1. Yes he can mow lawn. Yes he has tried that. People are having their kids mow their lawns as everyone is trying to save money.

2. He inquired about working for a landscaping company moving lawns, trimming trees, etc. Nobody is hiring.

3. There is no help needed during the hoidays. The school kids have that covered.

4. We don't have any rural farmers to help.

5. We don't have Angel Ministries.

Look, don't you think we've tried EVERYTHING. You don't really know what our town is like. It's very high unemployment and whenever something pops up, he's standing in line with 100 or more people.

We're trying to get him some classes to pick up different skills (welding, mechanics, anything). Our next resort is the the military.
Where are you located? (no message) - MT Still
[ In Reply To ..]
x
In the desert - burnt out too - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
do not wish to say exactly where, but I live in a small town of about 10K. Next closest town is 3 hours away and there is high unemployment there too and from what we've heard people are leaving that town to try and find work elsewhere. But here we do not have farms, farmers markets, etc. Very few landscaping companies as most people have rocks as yards. Our town doesn't even have a homeless shelter. We moved here for a job for him, and that job ended along with many others.
Military not a bad option - mom of Army boy
[ In Reply To ..]
Son is super physically fit, his family is totally supported (education, health, housing, etc.). There are problems but Military has people to talk to. It is enough to keep head above the water. The town is friendly to hiring spouses.
He used to be in military, but now at 53 is another story - burnt out too
[ In Reply To ..]
Things are just the way they are. There is nothing that can be done right now until our government gets turned around and the economy starts coming back and more companies start offering jobs. Meanwhile I just will be burned out til something good happens. Besides, we are not the only couple going through this. I'm just thankful we don't have kids and we don't own our own property. But I am still burnt out. But as they say....life stinks.
I do not recall OP saying they were STARVING to death - For cryin out loud, LOL!
[ In Reply To ..]
Geez, you act like the OP was on here asking for a freaking handout directly from your pocket!

Stop being so judgmental and quick to assume problems are so easily solved. I honestly don't know why some of you people seem to get off on being so condescending to other posters in such an unprovoked manner. Must be an empty existence for some of you people is all I can figure out. If this is how you handle things, I shudder to think how you must deal with your children (if you have any) when they face difficulties.

OP - Hang in there and best of luck to you...Many are struggling right now, but hopefully things will turn around very soon.
BUt money not used for food can be used for other bills. - Duh. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
jkl
What are you talking about?!?!? - Huh?
[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody has said anything about needing food or money! You seem to be lost in some alternate universe where you are God and sit in judgment of everyone. And I'm not sure what conversation you are participating in, but you are completely lost in this one.
Whatever. Note the OP and hubby are planning to leave - Fellow Traveller
[ In Reply To ..]
their little town with very limited opportunity and 20%! unemployment to move to a place where they can find work. That's a giant proactive, grownup step too big for many, so I'm more than a little surprised at the conclusions a couple of people have jumped to.

Burnt Out Too, I hope you two find a very promising place that really draws you soon. I suspect that when you do a whole new energy and the means to get there will follow. How about the browsing lists of the "Best Small Towns/Cities/? In America" for inspiration? This is a fascinating opportunity. Frankly, I wish we were the ones waving our fingers over the map. Good luck!

Wow can you share your good fortune - with those less fortunate?

[ In Reply To ..]
Because me thinks thats all most of us would love to attempt to focus on a company that doesnt micromanage, great accounts, lots of work, plenty of money, no nja, can take breaks when we want...me thinks this post is questionable if focusing is your only problem, please share the wealth! You can PM me if you wish not to share it so openly, and I would be glad to give you some valuable pointers and tips on how to focus!

This is why some are hesitant to post. - casey

[ In Reply To ..]
Why should anyone share what company they work for. Find your own company. There is a question that the OP posted to get help. She did not post to share her company info. Everyone wants to take the easy way out. Go find your own company to work for. Just because people do not want to post the company that they work for does not make a post questionable.

Tips on staying focused anyone?! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't appreciate your sarcastic remarks.

The point of my description of my job was to indicate that I am not unhappy with the job or stressed by it. The issue is with my inability to concentrate.

You can continue holding your tips for ransome. I have received many from other posters here as well as via e-mail.

Thank you to everyone else - I truly appreciate your input!

I find it very hard to stay focused on work, when I - worry every day about bills to pay, -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
now little I make per line, and NJA. They can't just pay us nuthin', and expect to get our 150%, undivided attention to our work all day. Especially when you know that by allowing your attention to drift, you're only losing a couple of lousy cents. I've truly gone BEYOND CARING anymore. I feel my time is better spent concentrating on more gainful employment, than it is fattening the wallet of my MTSO.

focus - gg

[ In Reply To ..]
Icompletely agree. I don't know, at this point, how else to make money though.

Similar Messages:

STAYING FOCUSED DOING VR/SR
Oct 20, 2011

Have been an MT for 34 years..having trouble staying focused doing SR...any suggestions??? ...

Staying Focused/Motivated At Home
Nov 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering for those of you who work at home, what type of methods do you you use to stay focused at home, ie. environment, lighting, and so forth?  I like working at home but there are days when I'm easily distracted by the littlest thing and it slows down my line count or I need a break for my eyes to get away from looking at words on the computer screen. ...

Tips And Strategies To Help Stay Focused And Productive...
Apr 05, 2011

Hi all, I have to do a Powerpoint presentation this week in front of a group of MT students.  I would really appreciate it if you would be willing to share any tips or ideas that you may use that has helped you remain focused and productive while working in a home environment.  I've been an MT for over 20 years and worked from home for 14.  Other than the obvious strategies that I use like getting dressed, eating breakfast, turning the phnoe off, and dedicating workspace, I& ...

Your Tips For Staying Attentive.
Dec 30, 2010

I am an independent contractor and do the transcription for a busy family practice office.  I use Instant Text, macros and autocorrect, and I also use my timer to keep myself productive.  But sometimes I struggle with productivity and focusing. I'd love to hear people's tips here on how they stay focused when your mind is pulled other places, and, also, your best tips for increasing your speed!  I just know there is a wealth of information here.  Even shaving a few ...

Anyone Have Any Tips On Staying Alert/functional During 3rd Shift? Sm
Feb 27, 2014

I only have an hour window between my 2nd shift job and the 3rd shift job, and I try to sneak in a nap, but after a couple of hours I find myself yawning and losing focus. Coffee doesn't seem to help nor do any of the energy drinks. So far, 5 minutes of jumping jacks or something every hour has helped the most, but I still feel I am not at my best (and my production shows it). Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated. TIA. ...

Please Tell Me How To Stay Focused!!! Sm
Dec 04, 2009

I have done this type of work for a long time.  The last couple of years I have a terrible time staying focused on my work and not emailing, texting, surfing the web, etc.  I need the money really badly!  What is wrong with me?  I am not destitute yet - I keep asking myself if that is what has to happen before I can get serious and do my job.  I should be able to do 2000 lines a day but instead I am doing 950 to 1000. I am literally sick over it and worry about i ...

How To Avoid Distraction/keep Focused??
Sep 21, 2012

I've had a really hard time lately with this...  Lots going on at home so my mind just wanders.  My paychecks are awful now as a result...   What do you do to keep yourself from getting distracted (bills, email, Facebook, staring at a wall LOL, etc)??  I really need something to get me motivated and back on track again. :(   TIA! ...

Failed Another 3 Focused Audits.
Dec 31, 2013

Yep, that's my 4th within a week. Yep, just as I noted a couple weeks ago, 2 "punctuation" errors and you fail. One spelling error that I have no idea how that could make it through spell check. And a full point for not cc'ing a dictating physician who said to send him a copy - because the CP did not say not to??????? I thought it was policy not to cc the dictator even if they requested such. I cannot even remember any client profile stating not to send a cc to the dictating physi ...

Any Advice On How To Stay Focused?
Aug 25, 2014

I am ADD by nature and the older I get, the worse it seems to get. Any tricks of the trade you all have would be greatly appreciated. I used to use music in the background, but my hospitals have terrible audio lately and it seems to do more harm then good at this point. ...

I Am Not 100% Focused On Patient Care Anymore.
Jan 31, 2015

How can I be?  I'm too focused on what I'll get dinged for. Every other day there are updates to account specifics.  How on earth can one remember every little thing for every single account (I do 5)? What will the auditor think of this or that?  Should I actually type verbatim even if it makes NO sense?  Should I change what voice wreck typed, i.e., "On physical examination, the patient..." The doctor actually said, "On physical, the patient..." So, this goes ou ...

Staying Awake
Oct 15, 2012

Sitting here with work but still falling asleep at the computer.  How does one stay awake through all this crappy ASR and ESL who stutter and just totally horrible dictations?  ...

Staying On Task?
Dec 12, 2013

Hello everyone. If anyone has any tips on how to stay on task it would be appreciated. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I wanted some different ideas. Thanks! ...

Staying Clocked In While OOW
Apr 09, 2015

Has anyone ever stayed clocked in while OOW, like for an entire day and subsequently for the entire week. Of course, they would have to pay minimum wage, but I'm just wondering for how long??? ...

Having Trouble Staying Motivated.
Jan 17, 2011

Anybody else having trouble staying motivated? Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have a job; but I am just tired of the cut in benefits. Wouldn't it be nice to get a raise for once? Maybe it is time to go back to school and do something else.   ...

Staying Awake On Third Shift
Aug 10, 2011

I was just wondering how many other people work third shift and have such trouble staying awake?  I have been doing third shift for a while and it's HARD!!! I have a new baby and my husband watches him in the day, but I cannot seem to get more than 4 hours of sleep during the day and then I try to take a nap in the evening before work, but I am STILL having problems staying awake and I know being tired sets one up for disaster for mistakes.  I am thinking of talking to my physicia ...

Help With Motivation/staying On Task
Aug 08, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with/power through horrendous audio quality reports? We  have had these reports on my primary account for 2 months now and my company refuses to do anything about them. I turn the volume all the way up and still can barely hear the dictator over all the static. I struggle to figure out what they are saying, but I find myself "checking out" and losing focus and motivation to get through these reports after a while. How does everyone else do it? ...

DQS Down - Staying Logged In To Schedule Source
Jan 13, 2010

so I can document my down time and get paid.     ...

High Quality, Cost Effective And Customer Focused - Words That Spell Exploitation. . .
Nov 06, 2011

Am I the only one that feels this way??? Tell me, please, how do they expect us to make a living when they are paying squat to keep their cost of service down?? T ...

Staying In Health Care And Am Especially Interested In Home Healthcare
Jul 06, 2012

I am looking into what field of study to take up. I am thinking about staying in Health Care and am especially interested in home health care. I was wondering if anyone knows personally if there are demands for: Physical Therapist assistant - with Associated degree Occupational assistant- with Associates degree Has anyone heard of Speech/language pathologist assistant? I think this will require too much schooling but I have heard there is a big demand in health care and schools. I al ...

Tips
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone got tips on pacing themselves or how to make things go smoother.  I am a new MT and really want to do well since I left a good job to work from home, as it was a dream of mine.  I realize that patient is a virtue.  Something that I would like to possess more of. I am setting up my shortcuts, and feel like I am working my fingers to the bone, and not getting anywhere.  Any tips and advice on things that will help me move right along will be much helpful.  ...

MQ DQS ASR Tips
Jul 15, 2011

Been tracking my work for the last couple of years on ASR, am able to calculate my paycheck usually within a dollar of what it should be upon deposit into my account, and thought I'd share some tips I've learned from ASR: Keep your fingers on the keyboard. Anyone who says they are bored doing ASR isn't doing it right. It is just as challenging as typing, even more so because of the concentration required. It is much like playing the piano in that one's fingers are always mov ...

ASR Tips Revisited
Jan 28, 2010

Have read through numerous tips on this board on how to increase productivity (TY), but for the life of me can't seem to make much progress. There is one HUGE hurdle that slows me down terribly. At the very beginning of dictation, where the dictating physician says all the mumbo jumbo that should not be in a report - ADT info - we are to place a skip marker (and as far as my experience, it doesn't make much sense to place any more unless there is a blatant gap where none of the garbage ...

Burnout: Any Tips To Get Over It? Sm
Jan 31, 2010

I have been an MT for 13 years and lately I have been suffering from severe burnout.  I need the money so badly!!!  But it seems impossible to stay focused on my work.  Sometimes sitting down transcribing is nearly impossible - feels like trying to swallow bad cough medicine or something!  I have tried putting up pictures of reasons I need to be focusing and typing and have tried challenging myself with line counts, etc.  I just dont seem to be able to do it.  ...

Tips For Success With VR
May 14, 2010

Learning to use VR can be accomplished by any MT who has solid MT skills and is knowledgeable about their work.  I do not believe newbies or grads within their first 2 years should be using VR without QA backup (just my opinion). 1.  You have to want to learn to use it effectively.  If you try to do it kicking and screaming, being obstinant, you simply will hinder your learning curve and depth significantly.  2.  It takes time.  You will not learn it overnight.&nb ...

Any Tips About Proofreading
Jul 26, 2010

Any tips about proofreading? I am an MT intern consistently getting high 90s for grades in Acute Care but 99% is required to pass the program.   Tps for perfecting MT proofreading would be appreciated. I seem to make dumb mistakes and just  don't see them when I proofread.   Maple Grandma ...

What Are Your Production Tips?
May 15, 2011

I know that everyone says there is no money in VR, but sometimes you have to take the job you are given and be thankful for that. The account I am working on is 99% VR.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips on being productive.  For example, do you look at your report first and fix any obvious errors and then listen to the dictation or do you just jump right in with the dictation and do it all then?  Currently, I make about 5cpl for VR, which compared to some quotes I have rea ...

Tips For Motivation?
May 18, 2011

eee gads, every have one of those nights, or one of those weeks? what do you do when you just can't seem to get in the groove? maybe its the mt week contests and knowing I will never win anything (even though I meet all the production requirements) plus just plain wore out from trying to move for the past week or so.  tried to get some PTO, but never get approved. and then add to it the 3rd shift blues.  no matter what, just can't keep my eyes open! ...

SR Tips & Tricks
Sep 09, 2011

I am fairly new to SR and have been doing it for about a month.  Does anyone out there have any tips to share on how to become quicker?  I have memorized keyboard commands and am trying to speed up dictation.  Is that all there is to be successful at this? ...

Extext Tips?
Jan 20, 2012

Any tips on editing in Extext? ...

Tips For Those Just Starting DQS 7...smg
May 15, 2012

If you don't like those panels on the side of your text screen showing, you can drag the right and left margins of text screen to widen the text screen.  You can also drag the upper and lower margins.    You can enlarge the size of the font and change the style of the font (which only will change it on your end, not the client's end).  I am not in the program right now, but I think it is under Tools at the top, then click on the tabs to see which one has the font ...