A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How to avoid distraction/keep focused?? - llr

Posted: Sep 21, 2012

I've had a really hard time lately with this...  Lots going on at home so my mind just wanders.  My paychecks are awful now as a result...

What do you do to keep yourself from getting distracted (bills, email, Facebook, staring at a wall LOL, etc)??  I really need something to get me motivated and back on track again. :(

TIA!

the only thing that works for me - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
and this doesn't work all the time either (I'm like you), is to try to finish a job by a certain time. Say you have a middle sized job. Allot 10 minutes to it. Say "I will have this done by 1:15." Then really try to do that.

How to avoid distraction/keep focused - Big Orange

[ In Reply To ..]
I have the same problem and have had since I was outsourced and lost 1 FT and 1 PT position. Working another job, but I make about 1/4 of what I used too. I have never been able to get my Mojo back and I think know the would say it was depression, but it is what it is. I used to stress about it so much that I really made myself physically sick but overtime I do what I can and try not to worry to a point. After 33 years, I am burnt out I think but have had back surgery twice and foot surgery and spinal stenosis and boy oh boy sitting here for the long hours has taken its toll. My back is so bad that I can stand up for about 10-15 minutes and then have to stop and sit down and then it do it all over again. I tried walking on a vacation to Charleston this summer and I was done for at about 1/2 block. When I sit here for long hours my legs feel like Jello when I get up. I have not found a way for me to stay focused anymore. I probably need a new career but at 62 and all the physical issues going on with me a diff career would be hard unless it is a sit down job. May be if had a space to type away from all the noise that might help. I even put a lock on my door and told family if my door was shut not to come in, but that did not work either. Good luck

If you do find a way, please - post it here! sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Since VR this job has become so mind numbingly boring that I can barely even get out of bed in the morning. I'm really praying I can hang in there until age 62.

I have a big sign - on my computer

[ In Reply To ..]
that says "MT STARS DOES NOT PAY YOUR BILLS!" It keeps me motivated to stay off of this site until after work. Good luck!

I put 4 pennies on my desk, right under my monitor - pennies to paychecks

[ In Reply To ..]
It is super hard turning those pennies into a paycheck, so when I get the urge to go on this site, or check e-mail, or anything else, I look down at those 4 pennies and then I get all guilt ridden and pound the keys faster.

That is all that has helped me get by for the past 6 years of doing ASR.

being distracted - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm totally burned out on this job. I'm going back to school, hoping to get out of MT in 2 years. Since starting school not only has my schedule been more hectic which makes me less focused, but planning on getting out of MT has made me almost less motivated to work too.

I keep soft music on in my computer room while I work. I find a completely quiet room is more irritating to me. I also keep my cell phone on the desk and sometimes set the alarm on it for 1 hour. I tell myself I am not to get up out of the chair until the alarm goes off, and I push myself to get a really good line count in that 1 hour. I don't do this all shift, just a game I play to motivate myself. I also text friends and family here and there, just to break up the monotony and for comic relief sometimes.

I have also started a reward system. Like with snack food I like, cookies, candies, candy bars, whatever. I tell myself I'll reward myself with a quick snack if I do the next X number of reports without stopping.

These are sounding pathetic to me as I write them, but it is what I'm using to stay focused. They don't always help. Some days I can't focus for the life of me. My line counts have gone down drastically from what I used to average, back when I was super motivated. I'm physically and emotionally drained from this job. I've dealt with stress headaches, heartburn and racing heartbeat--only on work days. My days off, mysteriously I feel ok. It's ridiculous. I don't answer the phone unless it's family. I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. I don't leave the house for lunch because it's so hard to get myself back in the groove if I do. Don't know if any of this helps, but you're not alone in the trouble focusing department. Best wishes.

Doesn't sound pathetic to me... - I might try some of those...

[ In Reply To ..]
especially the snacks and treats! LOL!

I make a game out of it... - Bindi

[ In Reply To ..]
I make it a competition with myself for short periods of time. I sit down at the computer, determined to be focused for, say, 1/2 hour or 1 hour at most each time. The game is to see how many lines I can do within that period, remaining focused, and, of course, dedicated to quality. I amaze myself and it tells me that I'm capable of doing that if I only focus. This reinforces to me that I can be more productive and makes me want to keep maintaining the record or breaking it. It works.

I also have a large Post-It stuck to the monitor that says (wait for it) FOCUS!

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to have a mantra and keep repeating to yourself: "I am focused. I am productive. I am focused. I am productive" or words to that effect. Mantras work.

Great posts! - Thank you, not OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Great ideas all, especially the pennies and the FOCUS sign.

Rewards - Sleepy

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, it'd help if the doctors/dictators didn't usually sound bored out of their skulls when dictating (constant yawning), but I often try promising myself a little reward if I get to a certain point, like the 500 line mark around mid day. Then I allow myself a reward/treat, like a bunch of pistachio nuts - something yummy. :)
unprofessional docs - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Good point. I listen to some docs who are very professional, meticulous, a joy to transcribe for. I'm very focused with them. Lately though, it seems most of my docs are in a complete rush, bored themselves, dictate like it is the last thing they want to be doing at the time and can't wait to just rush through and get it over with. When they are that wishy washy in their dictation style and professionalism, I feel the same on my end. I'm less motivated to clean up their errors and poor grammar. I'm to the point where if they don't care about the quality, why should I?

I go by what's in my queue. - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
I can see how long the reports are and the report types, and I give myself a goal to get those reports done in x amount of time. If it's a 30 min report, my goal will be 1 hr 15 mins. If it's a 5 min report, my goal is 15 mins.

Also, any time between those reports that's not spent typing, I include in the time it took me to complete that report. If there's a 5 min gap between reports, that turns 15 mins into 20 mins, which means I didn't meet my 15 min goal.

I'm a big snacker, but I can't snack and type at the same time (I also can't walk and chew gum at the same time), so I eliminate "hand" distractions on my desk, i.e. things I want to touch or pick up. This gets really hard to do when I'm hungry or if I'm in a long, boring report.

Aromatherapy - VetMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think this more of an under-employment problem than anything else. Take an intelligent, educated person and put them on voice rec, and bingo! Boredom, lack of focus.

So you've got a lot of company. I have this problem too. I found that aromatherapy has helped me quite a bit. I've got a reed diffuser in my work area with an "energizing scent." It does make a difference. And I noticed recently that when I squirt on a little of my favorite perfume, that makes a $5 difference to the better in my total pay for the day.

Also green tea helps my focus. I originally started drinking it to burn extra calories (supposedly), but it is a great pick-me-up without the insomnia.

I think I'd be better off selling perfume in a department store sometimes. I'd darn sure be happier, I think.

Similar Messages:

Please Tell Me How To Stay Focused!!! Sm
Dec 04, 2009

I have done this type of work for a long time.  The last couple of years I have a terrible time staying focused on my work and not emailing, texting, surfing the web, etc.  I need the money really badly!  What is wrong with me?  I am not destitute yet - I keep asking myself if that is what has to happen before I can get serious and do my job.  I should be able to do 2000 lines a day but instead I am doing 950 to 1000. I am literally sick over it and worry about i ...

STAYING FOCUSED DOING VR/SR
Oct 20, 2011

Have been an MT for 34 years..having trouble staying focused doing SR...any suggestions??? ...

Tips On Staying Focused Anyone?!
Oct 12, 2010

Normally, I'm very disciplined about work.  I have a very stable job, very good pay, great accounts.  I am just having trouble staying on task.  Mind you, I do not have to just push and push.  I just need to relax and complete a report, upload it, do the next one.  I can breaks when I want to.  There is NOTHING wrong with my situation except as soon as I start a report my mind goes to a zillion other things I would rather be doing.  I can hardly get thro ...

Failed Another 3 Focused Audits.
Dec 31, 2013

Yep, that's my 4th within a week. Yep, just as I noted a couple weeks ago, 2 "punctuation" errors and you fail. One spelling error that I have no idea how that could make it through spell check. And a full point for not cc'ing a dictating physician who said to send him a copy - because the CP did not say not to??????? I thought it was policy not to cc the dictator even if they requested such. I cannot even remember any client profile stating not to send a cc to the dictating physi ...

Any Advice On How To Stay Focused?
Aug 25, 2014

I am ADD by nature and the older I get, the worse it seems to get. Any tricks of the trade you all have would be greatly appreciated. I used to use music in the background, but my hospitals have terrible audio lately and it seems to do more harm then good at this point. ...

Staying Focused/Motivated At Home
Nov 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering for those of you who work at home, what type of methods do you you use to stay focused at home, ie. environment, lighting, and so forth?  I like working at home but there are days when I'm easily distracted by the littlest thing and it slows down my line count or I need a break for my eyes to get away from looking at words on the computer screen. ...

I Am Not 100% Focused On Patient Care Anymore.
Jan 31, 2015

How can I be?  I'm too focused on what I'll get dinged for. Every other day there are updates to account specifics.  How on earth can one remember every little thing for every single account (I do 5)? What will the auditor think of this or that?  Should I actually type verbatim even if it makes NO sense?  Should I change what voice wreck typed, i.e., "On physical examination, the patient..." The doctor actually said, "On physical, the patient..." So, this goes ou ...

Tips And Strategies To Help Stay Focused And Productive...
Apr 05, 2011

Hi all, I have to do a Powerpoint presentation this week in front of a group of MT students.  I would really appreciate it if you would be willing to share any tips or ideas that you may use that has helped you remain focused and productive while working in a home environment.  I've been an MT for over 20 years and worked from home for 14.  Other than the obvious strategies that I use like getting dressed, eating breakfast, turning the phnoe off, and dedicating workspace, I& ...

Which MD-IT Region Is The One To Avoid?
Jun 21, 2010

Have an interview today and read here that success there is region-impacted. Please share if you know the region to avoid!! ...

Avoid Scriberight
Jan 23, 2012

Mass hire and then run out of work and by that, I mean completely out, not just slow work. What a joke!!! ...

Avoid DicTran At All Costs
Nov 03, 2009

DicTran had few reviews online so when we looked into purchasing their platform we could only rely on the deceptive sales presentation from their owner Bill. The company claimed to be able to satisfy all our needs but after we paid them communication became a major issue. Our MT's hate the platform since it forces them to use their custom software which has numerous errors. When we try to contact them for support they just might as well not exist. The worst part of the experience is we pay ...

Avoid Sciance - It's A Scam
Apr 05, 2010

Sciance Transcription is a company sending most work to India, doesn't pay. I mean, I worked and I am not getting a paycheck.  I have had to file a complaint with Labor Commission.  They are not honest and do not communicate.  When asked if we get paid the 0.095 per line for the # we see...or...are they still deducting spaces from that number? They won't answer you.  They pay for black characters only,  so you could think you are getting paid for a 1000 li ...

On-Time Is The Worst. Avoid.
Apr 27, 2012

Been with this company for 11, almost 12, years and now we have new QA who have NO clue what they're doing.  No report is sent through without their checking it and messing it up first.  And no two QA make the same changes.  It's so frustrating to love a job and then dread working due to the unprofessional editing.  No wonder they're losing accounts left and right.  We're normally without work and I think my loyalty showed I was going to be there, at ...

Avoid Transcription Stars!
Jun 13, 2012

I made the mistake of doing some work for Transcription Stars (based out of India) in March. I still have not been paid, and they are trying to bilk me of my money. They do not pay competitive rates, and are rather unreasonable in their TaTs. ...

Avoid Softscript Like The Plague
Jul 31, 2012

I'd avoid Softscript like the plague.  They are about the worst company I've ever had the misfortune of working for.  They turn over staff constantly, the backstabbing and nasty emails from "management" never ceases, and finally, they set you up for failure.  Always out of work, PTO is terrible.  I could go on and on, but will not.  I worked for them for 2 long and tortuous years, and I would not recommend them to anyone. ...

Want To Avoid Listening, So Can I Ask These Questions?
Dec 11, 2012

I can see from all these posts that they have made it as difficult as possible to understand this new pay plan.  Can anybody tell me when it goes into effect and when we individually will know what our personal rates will be? TYIA. ...

Change Of Hours To Avoid NJA
Feb 19, 2013

I tried to get my hours switched just by a half hour earlier this week.  I normally work 6 am to 11 am central time and i tried to get her to change it to 5:30 am to 10:30 am.  Instead she emails me and wants me to change my hours to 12-5 pm because supposedly 90% of her workers work the night shift.    If so many MTs are working the night shift, then why am I constantly running out of work during the day hours?    She asks me to help out today by working an ext ...

Dear Nuance, Here Is How To Avoid MUP
Jul 19, 2013

1.  Stop sending our work overseas. 2.  Stop hiring new MTs (yes, we see the multiple ads) It's very simple. Provide us with work during our regular scheduled hours and you pay zero MUP.  Problem solved. ...

Saince Transcription-AVOID
Mar 15, 2015

I recently worked for Saince for a few months, and was recently laid off.  I feel like I have been not told the truth from the beginning about this company.  They said they were NOT a company owned from India, but yes they are.  They said they wanted full-time employees, but when I was laid off they said that all of their employees are considered "part-time."  I was also told I was caught in a numbers crunch and I was caught in the middle.  They also told me they wanted ...

High Quality, Cost Effective And Customer Focused - Words That Spell Exploitation. . .
Nov 06, 2011

Am I the only one that feels this way??? Tell me, please, how do they expect us to make a living when they are paying squat to keep their cost of service down?? T ...

AVOID SAINCE TRANSCRIPTION AT ALL COST!!!!
Apr 02, 2010

Avoid Saince.  They are intrusive, constantly calling and they don't pay.  They hijacked my PC for 33-1/2 hours and their paperwork said they pay $10 an hour and then today I was told they only pay a flat rate $100.  HELLO!! THEY OWE ME $335 BEFORE TAXES THANK YOU!  They pay by black character only which means you don't get paid for spaces so you type 22 reports a day and average about 600 lines.  Nice!  When asked if you get paid according to the line co ...

Companies Who Avoid Answering Questions
Aug 13, 2012

Do you ever find it annoying when you are getting enough work each day in the pool and all of a sudden some of the doctors or accounts "disappear", and when you ask your boss about it, they do not respond to your question?  It is not that I am inconsistent with my coverage on the accounts or doing poor-quality work, I am off of QA and do not get any negative feedback, or any feedback for that matter, from the client. ...

What Trans Companies Should I Avoid/See Message
Sep 26, 2014

Okay, so done with Mmodal.  I am seriously looking for a new job.  What companies do I avoid?  Are there any companies worth looking at out there?  I could use some guidance with this since my past experience has been with mostly small local companies, that is until MM bought them out.  Oh, I wish for the good old days.  Thanks for all your help :) ...

Relation Between Offer For Tier III's To Advance To MME - Avoid Being Laid Off???
Apr 06, 2013

Remember the email we got from Corporate waiving the 90-day wait period to apply for advancement of Tier III's to MME and allowing til April 30 to do it?  With all the lay offs going on, anyone think a bigger axe will fall once May 1 rolls around and the Tier III's that did not do this will be let go?  From the way things look with all the lay offs, maybe this is one way to hang onto our jobs.  Thoughts anyone? ...

Self Cath To Avoid Further "ditchers" Or Muscle Damage.
Jan 24, 2012

We encouraged him to continue performing self-catheterization, as directed, to avoid further "ditchers" or muscle damage.    I can't hear strictures at all :/ ...