A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Staying awake on third shift - tired :(

Posted: Aug 10, 2011

I was just wondering how many other people work third shift and have such trouble staying awake?  I have been doing third shift for a while and it's HARD!!! I have a new baby and my husband watches him in the day, but I cannot seem to get more than 4 hours of sleep during the day and then I try to take a nap in the evening before work, but I am STILL having problems staying awake and I know being tired sets one up for disaster for mistakes.  I am thinking of talking to my physician to see if there is anything I can take to keep me awake for my shift.  I also suffer from ADD, but I don't take medication for that, as I have always been cautious about meds, but I am about to break down and take some.  Anyone else have or had this problem before?  If so, did you take anything to keep yourself awake? 

Thank you for letting me vent. 

The exact reason this shift should get better pay...it's HARD! - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
Frosts my butt how companies only want to pay like a quarter of a cent more for shift differential. This shift will take years off your life in a matter of months!

Really, the only way to make it is to have the cooperation of the people who live with you. When you need to sleep, they need to really respect that and, as we all know, that's WAY easier said than done. ;-)

Another issue is days off...you really need to stay on a 3rd shift schedule on your days off. It's like asking a dayshift person to suddenly swing to nights for 2 days, then go back to regular daytime life and not feel like crap. It's do-able but definitely will make you FEEL sick...like really really really bad jetlag.

Sleep hygeine is a must. You really have to have a schedule and stick to it. Mine is personally in bed at 3:00 pm and up out of bed and at the computer by 11:00 pm. Working at home is the bomb for this, because you can literally roll out of bed and into a chair if you have to.

I have no idea how a baby factors into that--I'm pregnant myself, and a third shifter, and am crapping my pants wondering how I'm going to pull it off because I cannot afford to take any time off. I'm sure I'll get myself comitted in a few months ;-)

My husband is a HUGE help though, as he was always a shift worker too, so he understands the need for quiet. Turn off the phone, stick a note on the front door, room-darkening curtains, white noise machine, and lately I've been using Benadryl as a sleep aid.

I had to quit the coffee because it was making me nauseous, so I don't have caffeine as a pick-me-up anymore but I honestly don't miss it. I think I do better with just water and/or Crystal Light on my desk. Makes me pee, and a full bladder and getting up to pee keeps me alert! On my lunch break, I take a nap. That right there is a HUGE help and helps me stay awake through the day until I hit the rack at 3:00 pm.

I also like it warm but that makes me sleepy, so I have to keep it uncomfortably cool in the office to keep me alert.

Good luck. I wish I could say it would get easier but the sad fact is our world doesn't think us shift workers exist, and I think we really should get hazard pay for it.
:-)

lack of sleep here too - jj

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked 3rd shift (only part time though) for 11 years. When my first son was born I was determined to make it work. It was easier then. My husband is a truck driver and was running the road more then so we had the house to ourselves. For the first 2 years, naptime and night time was the same time each day (he took two 1.5-2 hour naps each day), then at 3 and 4 years old we would take one 2 hour nap per day. I would be in bed at 1:00 a.m. to wake up with him at the crack of dawn (literally) at 5:30 or 6:00 then back down for the 2 hours mid day. When he went to school I worked days (for just one year) then found out we were pregnant. Second baby wasn't as easy, wouldn't take the normal naps..plus I'm getting older here. Then we had this bright idea to homeschool (don't regret it, it is great, just hurts the sleep schedule). Now I have my regular schedule working 4-5 hours per night on no nap during the day because of schooling a 6th grader and a preschooler, taking them to their activities, and 5-6 hours sleep per night. Oh, and hubby is still trucking, but locally and home during the day sleeping because he works all night long delivering.

Because I basically have no help, I don't have the luxury of laying down in the afternoon for a few hours to sleep right before I start working so I push through. There have been nights I fall asleep and wake up to look at my screen and I have fallen asleep with my finger on one key and that letter is lined up across the screen a few lines.

I am not a coffee drinker and try to stay away from Mt. Dew at other times and other sodas, so when it gets really bad I drink a Mt. Dew and that perks me up for a couple of hours. Kind of sounds like I am drugging up, but I haven't built up the nerve to try the 5-hour energy drinks. I find I snack more, trying to eat crunchy fruits or veggies when I do, or I chew gum. I keep a glass of iced water or tea at my desk all the time. Seems the colder it is, it just wakes me up.

I know it's hard with a new baby, but believe me it can be done. You are lucky you have help. It's hard also knowing your husband and baby are in the next room playing and you are missing it all, or there's housework to do. I completely understand and I'm sorry I don't have any help to give you. I'm not the type of person who can relax enough to sleep (unless I'm exhausted and pass out).

I have to work to bring in even just that extra little bit of money because my husband's job is just short of what we have to have each month or I definitely would not do this for the little bit of pay we get..this is so not right and sometimes it's just not worth it.

Just hang in there. It will get better. You will find your "groove" eventually. Best of luck to you!!

Similar Messages:

Staying Awake
Oct 15, 2012

Sitting here with work but still falling asleep at the computer.  How does one stay awake through all this crappy ASR and ESL who stutter and just totally horrible dictations?  ...

Anyone Have Any Tips On Staying Alert/functional During 3rd Shift? Sm
Feb 27, 2014

I only have an hour window between my 2nd shift job and the 3rd shift job, and I try to sneak in a nap, but after a couple of hours I find myself yawning and losing focus. Coffee doesn't seem to help nor do any of the energy drinks. So far, 5 minutes of jumping jacks or something every hour has helped the most, but I still feel I am not at my best (and my production shows it). Any tips you might have would be greatly appreciated. TIA. ...

Keep Me Awake Please!!!!
Apr 22, 2012

I am in hour number seven out of the thirteen that I must work today at the hospital. Only one person covers the weekend shift so I'm alone with nobody to talk to and I'm about DIE. I've taken a break after every third or fourth report, just trying to stretch and stay awake but the sleepies will not leave me alone. I seriously think I will die before 9 pm. Is anyone else just doing their best to survive this work day? Why can't these offices have windows??? It's gorgeous ...

How Do You All Stay Awake? HELP!
Feb 22, 2011

As soon as I start playing the audio, I can't concentrate and I start falling asleep at my desk. I literally have to get up every 15 minutes to keep from snoozing at my desk. Proofing my work is a hassle because, again, audio starts and I'm falling asleep. It doesn't seem to matter how much sleep I get, how much coffee I'm drinking, protien I'm eating, or vitamins I'm taking....nothing helps!  It's getting so bad that my production is seriously slowing dow ...

How Would You Type 74, Nearly-75-year-old Man? Not Quite Awake This A.m. Nm
Mar 26, 2011

.. ...

How To Stay Awake At The Computer
Nov 01, 2011

I just started a new MT job with our local university and am thrilled because it's full time, hourly, with fabulous benefits.  In my 30 years transcribing, this is the best deal yet.  However, it's difficult moving from a home office to a public office because I can't stop and take a nap when I get sleepy.    Today I found myself starting to nod off!  I tried making "deals" with myself, such as "Just stay awake and then you can take a nap as soon as y ...

Wondering If Anyone Can Help Me Stay AWAKE!
Jan 07, 2015

I love typing for a living . . . the problem is that I cannot seem to stay awake! Mornings are the worst! I get to the point where I literally can't hold my head up and have to take a little nap. It's killing my schedule and line count! I need/want to work more but I get too stinkin' tired. I'm afraid that if I keep coming up short with my line count, I'll lose my job. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions? Coffee is not one that will work for me . . . can ...

STAYING FOCUSED DOING VR/SR
Oct 20, 2011

Have been an MT for 34 years..having trouble staying focused doing SR...any suggestions??? ...

Staying On Task?
Dec 12, 2013

Hello everyone. If anyone has any tips on how to stay on task it would be appreciated. I know this topic has been discussed before, but I wanted some different ideas. Thanks! ...

Staying Clocked In While OOW
Apr 09, 2015

Has anyone ever stayed clocked in while OOW, like for an entire day and subsequently for the entire week. Of course, they would have to pay minimum wage, but I'm just wondering for how long??? ...

MModal Still Has Shift Differential For Night Shift?
Jul 01, 2013

can anyone tell me if MModal still has shift differential for night shift? I know they used to ...

Tips On Staying Focused Anyone?!
Oct 12, 2010

Normally, I'm very disciplined about work.  I have a very stable job, very good pay, great accounts.  I am just having trouble staying on task.  Mind you, I do not have to just push and push.  I just need to relax and complete a report, upload it, do the next one.  I can breaks when I want to.  There is NOTHING wrong with my situation except as soon as I start a report my mind goes to a zillion other things I would rather be doing.  I can hardly get thro ...

Your Tips For Staying Attentive.
Dec 30, 2010

I am an independent contractor and do the transcription for a busy family practice office.  I use Instant Text, macros and autocorrect, and I also use my timer to keep myself productive.  But sometimes I struggle with productivity and focusing. I'd love to hear people's tips here on how they stay focused when your mind is pulled other places, and, also, your best tips for increasing your speed!  I just know there is a wealth of information here.  Even shaving a few ...

Having Trouble Staying Motivated.
Jan 17, 2011

Anybody else having trouble staying motivated? Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have a job; but I am just tired of the cut in benefits. Wouldn't it be nice to get a raise for once? Maybe it is time to go back to school and do something else.   ...

Help With Motivation/staying On Task
Aug 08, 2012

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with/power through horrendous audio quality reports? We  have had these reports on my primary account for 2 months now and my company refuses to do anything about them. I turn the volume all the way up and still can barely hear the dictator over all the static. I struggle to figure out what they are saying, but I find myself "checking out" and losing focus and motivation to get through these reports after a while. How does everyone else do it? ...

DQS Down - Staying Logged In To Schedule Source
Jan 13, 2010

so I can document my down time and get paid.     ...

Staying Focused/Motivated At Home
Nov 28, 2010

Hi, I was wondering for those of you who work at home, what type of methods do you you use to stay focused at home, ie. environment, lighting, and so forth?  I like working at home but there are days when I'm easily distracted by the littlest thing and it slows down my line count or I need a break for my eyes to get away from looking at words on the computer screen. ...

How To Transition From Day Shift To Night Shift
Dec 08, 2013

I've been offered an in-house MT position that I am not passing up. It is night shift 10 pm to 6 am. I've never worked a night shift ever. How should I transition into working nights? Anyone have any tips for working this shift? ...

Staying In Health Care And Am Especially Interested In Home Healthcare
Jul 06, 2012

I am looking into what field of study to take up. I am thinking about staying in Health Care and am especially interested in home health care. I was wondering if anyone knows personally if there are demands for: Physical Therapist assistant - with Associated degree Occupational assistant- with Associates degree Has anyone heard of Speech/language pathologist assistant? I think this will require too much schooling but I have heard there is a big demand in health care and schools. I al ...

Pt Is Currently Staying At Oak Grove "L-tech"
Oct 17, 2011

? ...

"I'm Just Staying Positive"
Dec 28, 2011

This morning a local morning talk DJ had an interesting segment.  He was responding to a woman who had called in, complaining that he didn't have anything "positive" to say.  His response was, "Oh, I am POSITIVELY certain that we are all getting screwed!"  (Comments were in reference to Congress extending the debt ceiling.) This reminded me of the asinine phrase, "I'm just going to be POSITIVE!" that I hear over and over, usually from women, most of whom are MTs.&n ...

Possible To Get FT Day Shift?
Oct 18, 2009

Thinking of going back FT and quitting my current day job, but it isn't always easy to get on days.   (I know the work flow tends to be spread out a little thinner day shift.)  ...

QA For 3 Cpl As An IC On 3rd Shift...
Dec 07, 2009

Saw the ad elsewhere.  Are these companies nuts?!  I hope nobody takes that pay.  That's equivalent to 1 cpl as an employee with benes FOR QA WORK!  I get so frustrated reading some of these ads with such horrible pay. ...

Third Shift
Dec 10, 2009

I was wondering if it's really worth it to work the 3rd shift?  Does the additional CPL really make that much of a difference.  Does the workload stay steadier during that time?  I've been offered a 3rd shift part-time job, but just don't know if it's worth revamping my entire day to work this late.  Would anybody working this shift let me know how it works out as far as sleep, daytime errands, etc.? ...

What Is First Shift, Second Shift, Etc.?
Dec 16, 2010

I see job ads for First Shift, Second Shift, etc., and modified shifts, and I am not sure exactly what periods of time these are.   I figure they are specific hours of the day - like day, swing, graveyard shifts - but what are the hours, generally? I have only worked as an IC with TAT.  I am considering applying for some of the employee status jobs but need to clarify what these shifts are. Thank you. ...

One Job On My Shift And OOW
Nov 20, 2012

I thought I just got booted but logged back in no jobs will load so this means OOW.. already.. I just logged on for my shift.. NOT GOOD AND NOT HAPPY!!!! I believe I am in the South region. ...

NJA Now For 2.5 Hrs Of My Shift. Still NJA. Wst
Feb 07, 2013

wage.  this is a dream job! ...

2nd Shift?
May 06, 2013

Would anyone happen to know which company has a 2nd shift besides MModal or Nuance?  I see a lot of ads for 1st or 3rd, but due to family obligations I need 2nd shift.  Straight typing or speech - MT or QA (have done both).  Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. ...

AD For 2nd And 3rd Shift MLS?????
Nov 20, 2013

Has anyone applied for these jobs?  She has had the ad for quite some time I see up there.  Does anyone know the name of the company?  I am looking for something part time, but don't know if I should even bother. ...

Which Do You Think Is The Best Shift
Jan 30, 2014

nm ...