A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Long time MT with burnout and cabin fever! - Raven

Posted: Dec 16, 2009

I've been an MT for 15 years and work full time, 40 hours a week.  Lately, I have been SO restless and bored to death with my job!  I'm married and have no kids--when my husband gets home from work, he is glad to be here; meanwhile, by mid week, I'm about to go stark raving mad due to being at home so much!  Now I'm not new at this, as I said.  I have also been in QA, which I enjoyed much more, but the pay was so dire that I went back to transcribing.  I've joined a gym and that helps a little, but there isn't a lot of human interaction there either.  I find myself eating a lot more lately due to being so bored and struggling to make myself sit at the computer all day--just what I need, weight gain along with everything else!  I just wondered if some of you could share how you deal with rough patches such as this and what other activities and interests you pursue that work to fulfill you so work isn't such a chore.  Thank you for listening (as if you had a choice, LOL)!

Raven.... - kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
I can relate, and I only have 10 years doing this. You sound like you might be better off with an in-house job. That may not be possible for you, but something to consider. I have thought about that but the cons always outweigh the pros. Luckily, I like the solitude of being at home....I'm happy just seeing my family and friends once a week or so. However, you sound like you might need a little more interaction than that. One thing I do to get out during my work week is walk my little Doxie around the neighborhood. He's funny looking (all white with a bit of brown on his face/ears) so he draws a lot of attention and allows me to chat with the neighbors, kinda taking place of being able to chat with coworkers.

cabin fever - kimba2

[ In Reply To ..]
one thing might be to do some changes of your home office. It might sound silly, but add some plants, new pictures or even re-paint your room and add a little water feature. I do that kinda stuff from time to time and it helps me. I get tired of looking at the same things everyday that surround me. I work from home, go to school from home and live here, so I get what you're saying. It might be worth the little investment in the long run :)

Good Luck!

About walking the dog and chatting - Loves animals

[ In Reply To ..]
Even driving through my neighborhood I sometimes pause (not busy streets) to say hello to a passing doggie and ask the parents about their pooches. I especially loves the weiners.

Raven: - huh?

[ In Reply To ..]
I have about 11 years of experience and do seem to find that I have the same issues from time to time.

All of the other suggestions I have read seem really good. However, for me painting my office is a no-no because I rent and I cannot have a doggie to walk. What do I do?

I try to keep my desk close to a window so that I can see out. I open the shades during the daylight hours while I work so that I have a view of the outdoors. I have other things that I do that may seem counter productive, but they keep me at my desk. I have a sister-in-law who emails me back and forth and sometimes we chat via messenger. The few seconds it takes me to say something to her or read what she has written is just enough to keep me there when I would normally get up and walk away.

Another thing I do...I put the radio on in the other room. I can barely hear it so it does not interfere with work, but it is not like being in the house alone.

About 8 years ago I discovered - when my youngest went off to school all day - I was not used to the quiet, and I actually do not like being alone! Also, I have a friend who does the same kind of work who lives in the same town. We have a "phone call hour" M-F and sometimes on Saturdays when we are not working and hubbies are at work where we can call eachother and talk or go out for coffee or something. It breaks the boredom and helps us both so we don't feel cut off from the rest of the world.

Hope something helps!

cabin fever - Raven

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for all the replies. It's helpful knowing you all can relate. I decided to take up something on the side--I'm going to train to be a personal trainer. It's not so much for the money as it is only a side thing and maybe 5 hours a week I'll do it, but it will help me interact with people, help people, and also help myself. It's something I'm interested in anyway. I do have a good job--but I think this will give me something to look forward to and meet all my needs. Again, thank you all!

Similar Messages:

Once Upon A Time Long Ago....
Jul 22, 2012

Remember when we worked as MTs and didn't have QAs?  Boy those were the days!  Anyone else remember that?  Remember when we were good, trusted, common sense mattered, we made our own judgment calls, did our job and supervisors liked us?  Wow all was wonderful with the world back then.  Okay going back to my current reality now......   ...

Type Of Fever
Jul 19, 2010

having trouble with dictation of what sounds like "boulie fever". what might he be saying? ...

Rheumatic Fever
Dec 20, 2011

Doctor says positive for rheumatic fever as a child under review of systems.  Need some input what system to put this under.  There is no inflammatory review of system option.  Musculoskeltal, Hemo, Endocrine, Pulmonary, Cardio is the options.  Thanks for any help.   ...

Long Time MTs I'd Like Your Input Please
Apr 12, 2013

Remember the good old days when we had our own accounts and only signed with a service as "filler?" This is the third time that I have committed to working full time, signed the "Agreement" that yes, I will work for you full time hours, only to end up with under 20 hours for the month, or better yet sitting and waiting and waiting to start with now no full-time income coming in because I have committed to them to full time! Has anyone ever tried to be compensated for that time? If ...

I Am A LONG Time Medquist'er About To Take A Leap
Dec 05, 2011

I've been with Medquist forEVER but I've been consistently losing income for the past 3 years.  Last month, I was forced to go on governmental assistance just to keep a roof over my and my son's heads because of my lack of income with Medquist.  This year I may just barely make $10,000.  I have been with this company through thick and thin.  I have seen thousands of changes, and been through several dozen supervisors.  I am a WAY dedicated employee, p ...

Yesterday The Patient Started With A Fever Of 501....
Jul 10, 2010

It's a miracle she's still here I suppose.  ...

Does Being A Long-time MT Make You More Valuable If You Become A Coder?
Mar 28, 2010

So if someone has been an MT for 10 years and then moves onto coding, does that make them more valuable to employers? Also do you recommend the Andrews School over the rest?  I am pretty sure I am going to do this but am wondering if I should sit in college class and do all of this or go with the Andrews School. Is there really a PLUS to taking the classes on campus in a classroom setting?  Thanks! ...

DQS Taking A LONG Time To Download Dictations?
Aug 02, 2010

Is anyone having problems with DQS taking a LONG time to download dictations?  This is ridiculous! ...

Haven't Been On This Board In A Long Time And Have A Question. SM
Dec 22, 2010

I see one page of posts, doesn't seem to go to a page 2, and so on.  Company board goes from today at 4 p.m., to the 14th of Dec and no option of a 2nd page.    Does the board now automatically archive after a page is full?    Thanks.  ...

Time Versus Money - Long Commute
Aug 01, 2012

I am doing some thinking about what is important to me. I have been looking at jobs on Indeed.com and found 2 coding jobs that I might qualify for down the line, but they both involve a 1-1/2 hour commute via public transportation each way. So that's 3 hours a day getting there and back. After working at home more than 10 years, that idea seems very daunting to me. I could look for work closer to home, but the pay would be considerably less doing outpatient coding for a dr's office ...

Burnout!!!
May 03, 2012

Okay, I have been having a total burnout this week and don't know where to turn. After doing MT work for 15 years with the last couple of years being forced to do VR with awful docs and the reports being such a mess that I could do them faster starting from scratch, I just want to be done! They are getting so bad that the other day I made about $4.00 to $6.00 an hour and worked about a 12-hour day just to make what I need to make on a daily basis so we can make ends meet.   I' ...

Burnout From MT... What To Do?
Apr 17, 2015

Hello everyone.  I feel strongly that I am suffering from burnout.  The problem is I cannot get out of MT just yet.  Do you have any suggestions on how to cope?  Yes, I am aware the best way to cope is to leave MT all together, but as I stated I cannot leave just yet.  Any advice is welcome!  Thank you so much!   ...

Avoiding Burnout/QA
Dec 15, 2009

I have been in transcription for over 10 years and doing QA for about 5.  I am soooo burnt out of this field.  So bored, creativity stifled, and unhappy.  Any tips on how to make my job more interesting, joyful, and creative? :(   ...

Burnout: Any Tips To Get Over It? Sm
Jan 31, 2010

I have been an MT for 13 years and lately I have been suffering from severe burnout.  I need the money so badly!!!  But it seems impossible to stay focused on my work.  Sometimes sitting down transcribing is nearly impossible - feels like trying to swallow bad cough medicine or something!  I have tried putting up pictures of reasons I need to be focusing and typing and have tried challenging myself with line counts, etc.  I just dont seem to be able to do it.  ...

Anyone Ever Experience Burnout?
Jun 05, 2013

Please, no snarky comments.  I know I'm blessed to have a good job and be able to work from home.  But I'm burnt out.  Fried.  Crispy.  This has been going on for about six months.  Anyone else brought themselves out of this? ...

Any Long-time MTs (over 30 Years) Having Chronic Neck/back Pain
Apr 25, 2011

Any long-time MTs (over 30 years) having chronic neck/back pain, hand pain, wrist pain, migraines, etc., ever had luck at filing a workers comp claim? ...

Can Any Long Time "Keystrokers" Answer A Question
Sep 06, 2012

Considering going back, but wasn't there long enough to find out the first time.  The pay they are offering is pretty low.  Just wondering if that will be the best I can expect from them.  Thanks!  ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...

Optiscript Part Time To Full Time
Nov 19, 2011

Does anyone care to share that if you are hired at optiscript part time will they let you change to full time easily? I know they are a small company and do not over hire so I do not know how easily this could be done.  I am thinking of cutting down to part time at my current employee so I can work part time elsewhere and eventually just leave my current employee once I see how the land lays elsewhere.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated :) ...

Full-time/Part-time Hours?
Feb 13, 2012

Since part-time is generally considered 20-25 hrs. per week, does that mean that full-time is anything over 25 hrs. per week or does it have to be a flat 40 hrs? ...

Anyone Gone From Full-time To Part-time With This Company?
Mar 21, 2012

I am strongly considering going to part-time, just hoping to get opinions from anyone who has gone from full-time to part-time or opinions from anyone who has just always been part-time.  Thanks! ...