A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wondering how long the rest of you sit here earning no money (sm) - broke

Posted: Mar 27, 2013

clocking in and out.  Punching in and typing 1 or 2 resports, clocking out, a job downloads, clock in, type, NJA, clock out.  Punching in and out is time consuming and affects the little line count that I am getting!!! I've been doing this now for 4 hours and I'm done.  Fire me, PLEASE, but I am not sitting here without consistent work punching that stupid time clock in and out all day long and not getting paid.  I have much better things to punch. I'M SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW AT THIS COMPANY!!! Thanks for letting me vent....

ok, where is the almighty MT who comes on and - says, "well just quit."

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry to sidetrack your post, but I would have figured they would be all over you right now.

Hopefully they are working. BUT believe me, I am working on quitting. In the meantime, (sm) - broke

[ In Reply To ..]
I still have work ethic as hard as it is with this company, and when there is no work I just sit here and keep checking for work and wasting my time and day for nothing. I feel if I punch out and just walk away and call it a day that I'm walking off the job. I did not mean to vent so much but wondering what the rest of you do that's all.

I never said just QUIT - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I said to start preparing for the future..Big difference.

I guess you are the Almighty MT, then? - I didnt think she was addressing

[ In Reply To ..]
anybody specific. LOL
Guilty soul. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Guilty for what? Stating the truth? - not me
[ In Reply To ..]
x
You just cant help yourself - can you?
[ In Reply To ..]
lol

LOL - the Almighty MT probably got fired! ;D - I cant take this much longer, either.

[ In Reply To ..]
Once again today, I had to transfer almost $1,000 out of my ever-dwindling savings to pay my rent, gasoline & utilities, because all my MT paycheck covered was the car insurance.

I'm in a weird division - MModal Livestock

[ In Reply To ..]
of the company, so I'm not sure what the protocol is in MModal general, but for us and our old program, we work in old fashioned pools. You get a primary, a secondary and a tertiary. When work runs out, you have to wait 15 minutes before you can clock off without receiving work in any of those pools. The problem lies with the fact that it rarely ever goes 15 minutes without one of the pools having some tiny scrap of work drift down to us (which resets the clock). But you have to get your minimum LPH. If you only get a small report every 10-15 minutes, how are you supposed to make your lines?

My boss is a real stickler for the rules (why not, she doesn't have to follow them) and I have a feeling pretty soon everyone in my group is going to be terminated.

The worse part is that I have a second job, so I don't need this one as much and on slow days (which we have much fewer than most people at MM seem to) I wouldn't mind sticking to my primary only, so that the people who have my secondary and tertiary pools as their primary might have a chance without me stealing their work, but I'm forced at occupational gunpoint to steal my co-worker's remaining work. I don't get it. I don't have benefits. I cost nothing to them. It's like being in a life boat and being forced to eat the same amount of rations as everyone else when I'm already full.

And as I've complained here before, my division is riddled with overtime most of the year lately because we're understaffed (it's so strange, it's almost like firing half your employees for no good reason is a bad idea) and all we do most weeks is play catch up until the weekend. So, to solve this problem, what do they do? If you guessed "spend 15 minutes training other MM employees who have no work to use our idiotically simple work platform so they can make some money for a change," you were wrong. They hired completely new people with no experience. Meanwhile, while we wait for the new people to figure out how to do transcription, we've been doing so much mandatory overtime I'm probably going to have to go part-time because I broke my fingers, wrists, ankles, coccyx and brain.

The worst part is my boss is basically really nice. I would prefer her to be more overtly evil. I even feel a little bad for her. She's such a go-getter and really seems in love with this company. I've seen that many times before. What's left of a manager when they're done with them is rarely a pretty sight.

Anyway, this company deserves a lot of anger heaped up on it. Hang in there. But keep an eye open for any job that might drift by. I'm kicking myself. A little while ago sewer maintenance worker opened up in my town. Why didn't I take it... Great pay, decent hours, no memos from the CEO and all the flushed mutant alligators I can wrassle.

I refuse to let these morons waste my time. If I - run out of work, I will give it a - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
few minutes and a couple tries. But if nothing comes in, if I clock out, I switch over to some non-MT work I'm doing on the side, and begin that. It pays better anyway, just isn't a 40-hour-a week job. I then finish whatever project I had for that day with that job, and IF AND WHEN I'm finished, then I log back on and re-check to see if there's any MT work. If there's not, or 1 or 2 jobs come in and then it's empty again, I log out and go on to my 3rd and 4th "jobs" - one of which is school work to catch up on, and the other of which is light grounds maintenance I do at my little apt. complex to work off part of my rent. Or, I use the time to search for and apply to new jobs. And if those things are already done, and STILL no work, I get started on daily-living tasks such as laundry, housekeeping, etc. that need attention too. I refuse to let them waste my valuable time "waiting for work". If they want me to work so bad, then they're gonna have to send me some. Otherwise, there are a million other things that need taking care of.

Earning money - barelyholdingon

[ In Reply To ..]
I've moved my sewing machine into my office, and make baby blankets to sell on Ebay. I cut and pin everything at night, and then when I get NJA, I turn my chair around and sew everything together. It's been pretty profitable so far. At least I feel like I'm still "working" and gives me something to do while I'm waiting - instead of getting depressed and feeling sorry for myself.

me, too - not baby blankets

[ In Reply To ..]
But selling stuff on ebay on my other computer between jobs. Making some grocery money.

that's a great idea... - KD

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been looking for a part-time thing to make money during the NJA gaps too, no luck yet, but still searching. Any ideas, please throw them my way.

I'm not quitting, just waiting and collecting partial ue - mmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Getting partial ue. I will never quit. Luckily my DH makes enough so I don't have to work but there is no way I will quit.

Similar Messages:

Just Ran Out Of Work, Wondering If The Rest Of You Are
Jul 25, 2012

still dealing with this.  I am so limited with available time after my shift and it's so hard to make all this time up.  I thought things were picking up a bit but here I sit....... ...

Wondering On Opinions If This Sentence Is Too Long.
Dec 02, 2009

is a delightful 47-year-old woman with several years of a right-sided tremor at rest, associated somewhat with difficulty with handwriting; a feeling of inner restlessness in her right leg; exam with positive Myerson sign;  and positive increased tone in the right upper extremity.       The doctor originally dictated all that with commas--I replaced them with semicolons. ...

Time Versus Money - Long Commute
Aug 01, 2012

I am doing some thinking about what is important to me. I have been looking at jobs on Indeed.com and found 2 coding jobs that I might qualify for down the line, but they both involve a 1-1/2 hour commute via public transportation each way. So that's 3 hours a day getting there and back. After working at home more than 10 years, that idea seems very daunting to me. I could look for work closer to home, but the pay would be considerably less doing outpatient coding for a dr's office ...

7-day Rest .. Or 7 Day Rest - Would You Hyphenate According To BOS?
Jan 25, 2010

x ...

Earning PTO
Jan 21, 2015

Along with the huge pay cut at the courtesy of Nuance with their compensation pay plan, it seems I am not accruing PTO as quickly as before as well!  Can someone tell me how this is accrued?  ...

Has Anyone Ever Suffered The Displeasure Of Earning...
Dec 16, 2011

$1 per 3 minutes of "audio?" That's right, $1 per 3 minutes! Wasn't it supposed to be $1 per minute, the "going rate" for the past several decades...?! It seems to me, $1 per 3 minutes would yield approximately 3.3 cents per line, based on the old .10 per line rate...(I repeat, old rate)....and also, the $1 per 1 minute rule-of-thumb was supposed to be based on "decent" dictators, most of whom are extremely fast, as we know, so $1 per 3 minutes would likely be even less than 3 cen ...

3% Increase In Hourly Earning
Apr 17, 2013

how can that be when there is no work.  I surely have not had an increase.  I am lucky if I get 40 hours in 2 weeks instead of 1 week.  What a joke! ...

S/l IV Rest Or Ivy Rest
May 17, 2010

This is a patient who has a rash and the doctor says, "She is using s/l IV rest on it." Any clue???? ...

Ball Rest?
Aug 31, 2010

The patient was placed at s/l (ball rest) and sent home on s/l (prenal) nutrition and is readmitted for colectomy.   This dictation is so fussy. Can you help please? ...

Foot Rest
Jun 10, 2011

A while back I saw a post on here where an MT was advertising a foot rest that her husband was making that enabled transcriptionists to elevate their legs while still using the foot pedal.  I believe it was taken down before I got the info.  Does anybody know where I can get in touch with her?  Thanks. ...

MedScribe No Different From The Rest
May 15, 2012

I thought I had a great job transcribing for a specialty clinic in Chicago, but lost it to speech wreck.  MedScribe lied and told us it was a computer upgrade for Chicago, but now I'm left here with no work because it all went to speech wreck.  I would have changed over to another account but I was sucked in and believed about the upgrade.  Now I have no work.  Anybody else?, because I have an attorney and he would like to hear from all of us.  This industry is ...

Rest-all? Restol?
Sep 14, 2013

Has anyone heard of what s/l "Rest-all" - placed over bony prominences to protect the skin?  Thanks!  :) ...

S/L Rasp Or Rest
Nov 20, 2013

This 84-year-old female presents with a history of intermittent and variable expressive aphasia with apparent intact receptive capability. I believe that her intermittent episodes of speech ___(s/l rasp or rest) and repetition are do to her underlying expressive aphasia, and I do not find any evidence of an underlying epileptiform etiology. ...

A QC Question For The Rest Of You
Dec 18, 2014

For simplicity's sake, let's say I get a postaudit and it's 90%. Is my QC for the week 90%, or is it the one 90% audit averaged with my other work? OR, if there were 2 post audits, one being 100% and one being 90%, is it 95%? This is something I never got a clear answer on. I'm not sure they know lol. ...

Rest Breaks
May 15, 2015

Does M*Modal pay for rest breaks? ...

Escription Versus The Rest Of Us
Nov 18, 2009

There's obviously an apples and oranges difference between Escription and the rest of the VR editing softwares out there.  Those who are on Escription - bless your hearts - you are very fortunate.  But if you haven't done VR on another platform, please stop trying to tell the rest of us we are obviously doing something wrong if we can't easily double our lines with VR.  It just isn't happening for most of us.  I have worked in transcription for 30 years - ...

Keyboard Wrist Rest
Jul 20, 2011

I cannot type without a wrist rest for my keyboard. I had a good one and cannot replace it as they no longer make it.  Can anyone suggest a good one?  My old one was 19" long and about 2" deep. Thanks so much! ...

Elevated Bath Rest
Oct 18, 2011

"...Coumadin, Percocet, Lovenox, and *s/l elevated bath rest*, as well as a scopolamine patch to apply prior to surgery."   This is for preop total hip arthroplasty. Thank you for the help! ...

California Rest Break FYI
May 15, 2015

"(c) If an employer fails to provide an employee a meal or rest orrecovery period in accordance with a state law, including, but notlimited to, an applicable statute or applicable regulation, standard,or order of the Industrial Welfare Commission, the OccupationalSafety and Health Standards Board, or the Division of OccupationalSafety and Health, the employer shall pay the employee one additionalhour of pay at the employee's regular rate of compensation for eachworkday that the meal or rest ...

Do The Rest Of You Find, Being Paid Only Per Line,
Nov 06, 2009

Another poster stated they only get paid when they type (just like the rest of us).  Since going from per-hour to per line wages, I've been finding it nearly impossible to take any kind of a break whatsoever, whether it be a day off, or an hour break.  I make so little at this, that all I can think of while doing anything other than typing, is how much money am I losing.  Do you, too, start feeling guilty about unchaining yourselves from your desk for even the short ...

Working Every Sunday For The Rest Of My Career
Apr 18, 2012

We are required to work a full-time schedule that includes either Saturday or Sunday, every weekend, forever. The only time we can take a full weekend is if we take a PTO day. But the problem is that we don't get paid holidays anymore (unless we work), so we are almost forced to take many of those as PTO days.  Our sick days come out of our PTO days.  I guess what I am saying is that the thought of having hardly any full weekends "forever" is very disheartening.  The company ...

One More Time For Transcend – Then Maybe We Can Let Them Rest In Peace
May 10, 2010

For all you Transcend haters – more fuel for the flames. This is PUBLIC record – nothing confidential here.  No need to comment on the validity – this is straight from the Court records.  By the way, they are in talks and have hopes to acquire 1 or 2 more companies THIS YEAR.  Is your company going to be one of them?  No one is safe!!!   LET THE RANTINGS BEGIN ENJOY !!!!!  Plaintiff TRS Institute, LLC, complaining of Defendant Transcend S ...

...unifocalization Of The Pulmonary Arteries With (s/l) Rest-ellar Repair. NM
Jun 26, 2012

NM ...

Radiation Oncology, Patient Fitted With A "C Plus" Custom Head Rest.
Nov 17, 2010

:) ...

"nail Rest" After Fingertip Crush Injury
Feb 10, 2015

I'm typing a crush injury to a fingertip, with debridement and surgery, basically a tiny bit of fingertip amputation. The doctor several times mentions "nail rest" that might have to be excised. He says "nail rest" very clearly, but I can't find anything online showing that this is an official medical term, and I'd like to verify it before turning the report in. Thanks ...

Rest Greater Than Posture Greater Than Action?
Mar 29, 2011

Does that sound right?? ...

Money
Mar 29, 2010

Call me greedy, but what can a new MT expect to earn the first couple of months? Based on having plenty of work and working around the clock. I am putting out at least 1100 lines a day for now.  What is considered a good line count? ...

BIG MONEY
Jul 28, 2010

Okay, so I signed on with Transcend because they said, "Do you want to be guaranteed $900 per pay period as full time?" Well, sure. That sure reeled me in. I had always been afraid they ran out of work. Now it turns out that you HAVE to earn $900 IN ORDER TO BE full time. Big difference! It's like saying, "If you win the Olympic gold medal, you'll be guaranteed a first-place finish!" Or, "If you win the election, you'll be guaranteed more votes than your opponent!" It's so ba ...

How Do I Get My Money?!
Nov 21, 2011

Ok, finally, the horrors have happened to me. All was well, but now I'm getting seriously pissed. I work 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. Those hours are mandatory. My pay is equalling less than minimum wage. I e-mailed the company asking them about having to pay me minimum wage given the mandatory hours. The only response I got was "I'll look into it." That was over a week ago. In addition, the platform we use that records our lines is not recording all my jobs! I write down all the job ...

If You're In It Just For The Money, Don't Become An MT
Sep 03, 2012

I've had the same line rate (9 cpl) for 5 years, and I notice the new accounts they offer MTs pay 7.5 or 8 cpl at most. I must admit, though that I do work for a great company (I've been with them 12 years); they offer lots of flexibility (no required shifts or hours, just a reasonable line quota), payment promptly by direct deposit twice a month like clockwork, an easy to use transcription platform and wonderful QA and support staff. I have a lot of job satisfaction, though for my yea ...