A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Time to Regroup; UE Extension Ends 12/29 - PennyMT

Posted: Nov 18, 2012

I am almost 50 and have been in the MT field for over 25 years.  Certified, consultant, national sales rep, own company -- did all that and sold the T-shirts too.  Finally the stress of being an MTSO adversely affected my health so I resumed just being a regular ole MT.  That's a tangent, though...

In the last 3 years, two hospital employers outsourced the MT Dept. Of course, both times we were ineligible for unemployment.  I went to work for a service who laid me off, and I drew UE benefits.  The county enrolled me in a program to be retrained for a new career.  I have been in the paralegal program of a local community college and have a 4.0 GPA.  Unfortunately, the federal unemployment extension runs out at the end of this year.  Most folks drew unemployment on the extension for about 3 years; I was on it for a total of 9 months and 2 semesters. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles and I'm not here to whine.

At any rate, I have to come up with a new game plan that will allow me to stay in school. My city is terribly economically depressed, and one is lucky to get a job here at $12 per hour.  I need to clear $12 per hour and work a 20-hour week for income stability.  If I exceed that amount, my Pell grant will be decreased.  Anything less than that, and I will not be able to pay the bills.  Working FT and attending school FT (FT is required for Pell grant) would be suicidal at my age (I interviewed 6 classmates this morning; they all advised against it) and probably compromise my GPA and would of course also decrease my Pell award. 

Should I try to pick up a PT MT job?  That is what my experience is in, and I have never had a problem getting on.  Plus the pay rate is higher. OTOH, with MT doing the death rattle I will just be looking for work again relatively soon....

Just thought I'd throw this out there to elicit thoughts of anyone reading this who may be in my shoes....

Penny

PennyMT - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am in your exact same situation and I have no idea what I am going to do. I am only collecting partial UE, but I need it to get through school. This is the first and only time I have ever collected in my life (like you, I am just under 50).

The last time I spoke to a rep at UE, they did say to keep checking back because the laws change often. I guess we can only hope that President Obama changes the law/UE extension benefits? Otherwise, I have no idea how I am going to be able to continue to pay for tuition. Good luck to us both!

Thanks - PennyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your reply and thoughts.

Taking out a student loan is an option, but I would really prefer not to. Repayment plus interest -- no matter what the job market looks like then -- plus it's now the feds doing the collection, not the banks. That's all I need, having the IRS hounding me.

If the law is changed it will be done by Congress unless BO signs an EO. That isn't likely, but then again he has been EO-happy since assuming office so who knows?! At any rate, I'm not holding my breath and am pressing on presuming that it will stand as it is now.

Yes, good luck to us both! We definitely need it, not only in this economy but also because of our age.

Take care.

The Dept of Education handles the loans - Sue

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think anyone would take out a student loan if they had to answer to the IRS!! ;-)

I'm paying 8.5% (my daughter's loan--she needed 2, we each took out one). You don't have to start paying until 6 months (I think??? maybe 3?) after graduating.

and interest is tax-deductable btw (speaking of IRS) - Sue (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]
x
.. and the IRS collects 'em! - PennyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
The IRS does the collections and WILL seize your property and other assets as necessary to secure repayment (see link).

I have no intention of defaulting. I also have no desire to take one/some out. They will be an absolute last resort.

The state of the economy is a huge factor. Since our current president is a Keynesian (no, not Kenyan; you can look Keynesian up), we will probably be much worse off in another year and a half than we are right now.
I'm sorry - Sue
[ In Reply To ..]
My intention was not to misinform. I didn't realize you were referring to default when you mentioned student loan in your original post. My crystal ball must be on the blink.

Penny - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish I knew what advice to give you in regard to the MT job, I'm 58 and my employer recently outsourced our department. With the exception of a couple of people, we all got placed in other positions within the company. I'm considered full-time temporary now so I may be looking again myself in a few months, hopefully not. I did want to ask why you weren't eligible for UE when your hospital outsourced, wouldn't that be considered a layoff, I know it was for us. You asked about picking up a PT MT job - that is an option, or maybe you could work as a temp (register with agency) or maybe even PT at an attorney's office since you are in a paralegal program. Does the local court need clerks? Quite a few places have paid internships. I don't know if any of this helps. I worked FT and went to school and it was very difficult, your classmates gave you good advice in that regard. Anyway, good luck, I hope everything works out for the best.

Anonymous-- - PennyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your reply, Anonymous.

Both times we were outsourced we were offered jobs with the new slave company. So, according to the state, "We had jobs!" That rendered us not unemployed so not eligible. It was all very discouraging.

I am looking for something in the legal field, but it appears that most of these jobs are not for newbies. It is probably the market here; as I said, it is very bleak. A friend of mine has some atty. friends and was trying to get me some work while his friend's secretary was off; however, the guy was so tight that rather than pay someone he preferred to let the work just pile up until she returned.

The clerk gig might be worth pursuing.

Thanks again for your post.

Slave company - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Going to work for the outsource company was not an option for us when our jobs ended because we are the wrong nationality. You might have had jobs with the new "slave company" but should have at least been eligible for partial UE due to the lost wages I am sure you experienced. Anyway, I don't think it's the job market only where you are, it's a scary time for everyone. Again, good luck, hopefully things will fall into place for you soon.

Did you check on scholarships that might be offered at the CC? - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a family member that attended our local CC and he talked to financial aid office who told him most scholarships go unclaimed, applied using one application to all that applied to him and his program and obtained two. I looked at the college website once while I was attending and found a link to all of their scholarships provided by individuals and corporations and there were quite a few. Their website gave directions on dates to apply and the descriptions of all and their requirements (with your GPA you would qualify) the application form associated with the particular program. I think they ranged from $500 to $2000 a semester.

There are also jobs I find working from home doing legal transcription (just like MT positions with MTSOs) for companies on job boards and that would also be something you could eventually put on your resume for legal.

Regardless, I certainly wish you the best and hope everything works out for you.

Similar Messages:

Daylight Savings Time Ends 11/03/14
Oct 30, 2013

Spring Ahead, Fall Back If you work third shift, Sat-Sun, clock out at 1am, do something productive until 2am is turned back to 1am, unless you have work and need an extra hour of lines. Just saying... ...

Name Of Leg Extension
Mar 10, 2011

Dr. is describing a surgical history, states:  Left leg surgery with Harnshning extension....yeah, she spelled that word Harnshning, but I can't even come up with a google search for that one.  Any ideas??? ...

USB Extension
Feb 22, 2012

I am looking for something that will add more USB ports to my laptop.  I love my Toshiba Satellite, but it only has two USB ports.  I personally would not have bought it solely for that reason, but got it as a Christmas gift when my old one got worn out and died.  I am not having much luck finding what I am looking for.  I have been to the local Radio Shack, but the kid they hired looked at me like he was just absolutely dumbfounded when I asked.  Any suggestions to poin ...

Flexion/extension
Oct 20, 2009

the doctor is assesing a wrist injury and after addressing flexion and extension, goes into: "pulsar 1/2+, cap refil is 2 seconds"?? Any clue what he is saying? What is standard for the dr to cover on this type of injury? ...

CPC Course Through AAPC Extension
Jun 12, 2011

I'm taking the CPC coding course through AAPC.  I have four months to complete it, but haven't done so yet.  It says on their website that I can get an extension for $29.95 a month, but I can't find anywhere to send it?  Can somebody please help?  Thank's! ...

ICD10 Two Years Extension
May 18, 2012

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/ama-calls-2-year-extension-icd-10-deadline ...

Ends In -rhagia
Mar 19, 2011

GI consult and doc says this "patient has no hematemesis, s/o menorrhagia, or bright red blood per rectum." This is an 80-year-old man, so it cANNOT be menorrhagia. So what is a blood-related condition associated with GI problems? I can only think of hemoptysis and I know there are probably a million other things it could be, but I can't think of them.  What ends in rhagia for the GI system? ...

Back Extension And Side Bending Degrees Help
Apr 05, 2012

I am pretty new and trying to figure out what this doctor might be saying.  He is doing range of motion tests on a patient.  He says "Back extension (s/l 50 or 15) degrees."  Then he says "side bending (s/l 50 or 15) degrees."  The patient has severe neck pain.  I am not sure which value the doctor is saying.  Any suggestions? ...

Unemployment Unexpectedly Ends, Still No Job. Sm
Nov 16, 2010

Just some history:  I have been in denial for over a year thinking that I would easily get another job after being with MQ for nine years.  Ha!  I resisted going into another field as I really love transcribing and everything medical in general, also a former RN 25 years ago.  I have gotten a few offers for IC at a ridiculous rate and declined.  Mostly, I have not gotten even a response when applying for a position.  Now comes my belated rude awakening wi ...

How Do You Make Ends Meet?
Nov 05, 2011

I have been transcribing for over 26 years and now I can't even make ends meet.  Does anyone else have the problem of having to be a workaholic or not be able to survive financially?  PLEASE give me any hints that have helped you out.  I'm tired and frustrated.  Thanks! ...

Question About When Training Pay Ends...
Mar 27, 2013

I have been on training pay at $10 an hour.  I have this pay period and half of next pay period left of training pay.  Then I will get per line pay.  I have been on these accts for 3 weeks now.  Accts have lots of ESLs, bad dictators, not good.  Straight, no VR.  Things is after 3 weeks according to my lines and hours I am not quite making min wage yet.  After this pay period and part of the next when I get per line pay if it is not equivalent to min wage what ...

I Just Love How My TSM Ends All Her Emails With
Mar 21, 2015

any questions you may have.....only to completely IGNORE my emails when I do have them.     ...

Can Someone Tell Me When TransTech Pay Period Begins And Ends
Jul 30, 2010

nm ...

Supplemental Insurance Coverage Ends Aug 31
Aug 29, 2012

If you have the Critical Accident, Cancer, Short Term Disability, etc through Alpha Staff, it is ending August 31, I was told by a phone call to Alpha today. Have not heard anything from Colonial yet regarding a new policy. Just to let anyone know who cares. ...

How Many Of You HAVE To Work 2 Jobs To Make Ends Meet?
Jul 03, 2010

Having Trouble Making Ends Meet At Transcend?
May 10, 2011

For those of you interested in Transcend's Q1 public statement, go here: http://www.gurufocus.com/StockLink.php?type=sec&symbol=TRCR&date=2011-05-09&report=10-Q Also, for those Transcend MTs having difficulty making a living...(again, this is public information for their COO) Compensation for 2010 Salary $275,000.00 Bonus $0.00 Restricted stock awards $435,780.00 All other compensation $2,206.00 Option awards $ $0.00 Non-equity i ...

Ok, I'll Bite. Is ANYONE Able To Make Ends Meet At M*Modal? Sm
Dec 30, 2012

I am not asking if you are happy.  I haven't been happy being an MT for years.  I just want to be able to pay my bills, have an income and pay my bills.  I'm not making what I made years ago either, but I can pay my bills (not much left over after that's done.)  I am stuck with M*Modal for the time being and not of my choice.  I have worked for other large nationals that were constantly bad mouthed, and I was able to make a living at them.  Does anyon ...

Struggling To Make Ends Meet. Anyone Know Who Pays Weekly?
Apr 08, 2013

any help is appreciated. i checked the archives but there is nothing very current.  ...

Pt Had Dupuytren's Release. "Will Place Him Into A S/l Amleg Extension Splint" Nm T
Nov 25, 2009

x ...

Format "minus Two To Three Degrees Of Extension"
Jul 22, 2010

Hi,  I just had this dictated: "...minus two to three degrees of extension..." My account is strict BOS 3.  I'm not sure how do transcribe it. -2 to 3 degrees -2 to -3 degrees Help?  Thanks! ...

Wrist Range Of Motion 60/65 Degrees, Extension 60/60 Degrees, * Longation* 60/60 Degrees -sm
Oct 14, 2011

radiation 25 or 20 degrees.  Thanks ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...