A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Having trouble making ends meet at Transcend? - $$

Posted: May 10, 2011

For those of you interested in Transcend's Q1 public statement, go here:

http://www.gurufocus.com/StockLink.php?type=sec&symbol=TRCR&date=2011-05-09&report=10-Q

Also, for those Transcend MTs having difficulty making a living...(again, this is public information for their COO)

Compensation for 2010
Salary $275,000.00
Bonus $0.00
Restricted stock awards $435,780.00
All other compensation $2,206.00
Option awards $ $0.00
Non-equity incentive plan compensation $120,000.00
Change in pension value and nonqualified deferred compensation earnings $0.00
Total Compensation $832,986.00

I find this very interesting regarding offshore:

We have not historically had difficulty in staffing to meet demand as we have grown. However, looking at the industry as a whole, we do not expect the domestic labor market for medical transcriptionists to grow fast enough to meet increased demand. We are addressing this challenge by increasing employee productivity through the use of speech recognition technology, utilizing offshore resources and by attempting to develop a reputation as one of the best places to work in the industry. It is possible that in the future a tightening labor market could result in upward pressure on wages, but to date we have not seen evidence of this and we do not anticipate this occurring in the short-term.

Upward pressure on wages - Bettie_Bgood

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, let us ask ourselves, WHY there is no "upward pressure on wages" - if supply goes down and demand goes up - then we should be getting better pay.

It ain't happening. WHY. Because we MTs ourselves aren't creating that upward pressure. Venting on message board is not the same as creating that "upward pressure" on wages in a thoughtful strategic way. Obviously, the MTSOs are creating downward pressure on wages in a thoughtful and strategic way...so there is more $$ for them!

Every time I talk to any management personnel - at my company, I CONSTANTLY tell them - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't make a living on what they pay, and that what they expect us to know, and produce, in no way matches the pittance they're throwing at us to do it.

I could make a better living cleaning porta-potties than MT-ing. (And it would smell a lot fresher than MT, too!)

OFFSHORING - ROFL

[ In Reply To ..]
Go ahead, "create upward pressure." They'll just OFFSHORE even more of the work.

They're doing that anyway, regardless. All the - while starving us out concurrently. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Thanks for posting this info - we need more of it - Bettie_Bgood

[ In Reply To ..]
While people are debating the "greed" or lack therof of MTSOs...whether our pay is fair...we need data - exactly how much are the CEOs and Presidents of these companies making anyway? How does that compare to what the MT is getting paid?

Is there a way to find out this info for other MTSOs? Would be interested to see for nm - Webmedx CEO-COO?

[ In Reply To ..]

Other companies CEO salaries - love to know. - Poor MT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Probably not unless they're publicly traded, which Webmedx isn't. nm - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes - his pay and the women's running the racket - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
which they call a business.

To be clear - ME

[ In Reply To ..]
I didnt follow the link - can you clarify that this is the salary for ONE person?

Yes, it is for ONE person - cannot post name

[ In Reply To ..]
Public information:

http://people.forbes.com/search?ticker=TRCR

pretty sad - TRCR

[ In Reply To ..]
Pretty sad that some of us who work for transcend are working our butts off to barely make ends meet and the execs can make this. they like to say in meetings that they can't do it without us mls - how about a piece of the bonus. we work 40, 50, 60 and sometimes 70 hours a week and can't even make close to that. seems really unfair. if us mls make the company run by keeping customers happy and bringing in the $$, why can't they share?

It takes a lot of money to keep at least 5 personal houses operating and - broke

[ In Reply To ..]
at least 4 cars, all new. Not to mention a few other necessities.

That is why I can feel I live in luxury if I can afford to spend $70 every 2 weeks for groceries for me and my children. I know that Transcend would go broke if they paid me more than 4 cpl. Also, they would be broke if they limited how much work those slimy Indians could take away from us so I do not run out of work constantly.

It's not the Indians who are slimy. They don't take the work, it is - Former

[ In Reply To ..]
given to them for those who make the big bucks to ensure they keep getting the big bucks. They don't care who they exploit. The Indians who are hungry for it or the Americans who complain. If you are indignant enough to quit, they have plenty of American MTs lined up. They reduced the salaries for MTs yet they stay.

I am not being critical of you or anyone else. It is just a fact.

They always win.

Not the MTs, perhaps, but the Indian execs. and - MTSO owners sure are slimy.

[ In Reply To ..]

Indian MTs - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not the Indian MTs who are at fault, they are just trying to do what we are trying to do, make a living. Unfortunately, in the global economy, their wages for much less get them much more in their country, probably earning them about the same or maybe even better buying power as we have! I DO blame hospitals, execs, MTSOs for sending our work out of the US and think HIPAA should address this as well, but in reality I am dreaming...the almighty dollar and making them more money unfortunately will rule the day I am afraid. Time to jump out of MT!
Most of the Indians are trained physicians. They should be - disagree
[ In Reply To ..]
practicing their vocation and trying to help their fellow man, not trying to take our work away. They are very inconsiderate as they took a seat away from someone in medical school who may have just practiced medicine. They are bringing their own hardships on, no one is doing it to them.
Tranined physicians - mt1347
[ In Reply To ..]
There was an MTSO a few years back who used to brag that many of the MTs working at their office in India were physicians, as if that made it okay to send our work over there. But factually, it takes only 2 years to get through medical school there and because education is free, many, many people go through medical schools there. Many of them try to get visas to emigrate to Europe, the USA, Canada or So. America. Ask yourself, if they have medical degrees, why aren't they out there taking of the 10s of millions of Indians who desperately need basic medical care?
correction on your post. Education in India is not free. - me
[ In Reply To ..]
They pay tuition from the first grade on up. But they go to school 6 days a week, 12 hours a day, so it does not take as many years to finish. But what it does mean is that every one of them comes from a family with money, so why are they so interested in taking money away from us.

Similar Messages:

How Do You Make Ends Meet?
Nov 05, 2011

I have been transcribing for over 26 years and now I can't even make ends meet.  Does anyone else have the problem of having to be a workaholic or not be able to survive financially?  PLEASE give me any hints that have helped you out.  I'm tired and frustrated.  Thanks! ...

How Many Of You HAVE To Work 2 Jobs To Make Ends Meet?
Jul 03, 2010

Ok, I'll Bite. Is ANYONE Able To Make Ends Meet At M*Modal? Sm
Dec 30, 2012

I am not asking if you are happy.  I haven't been happy being an MT for years.  I just want to be able to pay my bills, have an income and pay my bills.  I'm not making what I made years ago either, but I can pay my bills (not much left over after that's done.)  I am stuck with M*Modal for the time being and not of my choice.  I have worked for other large nationals that were constantly bad mouthed, and I was able to make a living at them.  Does anyon ...

Struggling To Make Ends Meet. Anyone Know Who Pays Weekly?
Apr 08, 2013

any help is appreciated. i checked the archives but there is nothing very current.  ...

Anyone Having Trouble Going FT With MDI/TRANSCEND?
Jan 23, 2010

I am just wondering if any of you are transitioning to full-time from MDI on 02/01/2010, and if you are, are you having trouble with MDI/Transcend about this.  The reason I am asking is that  I received a note and they said they were just told that I was going to go full-time, after I had already turned in my paperwork and applied for full-time benefits awhile ago now.  They said it would be too costly for me to maintain the insurance on a 35-hour work week??? They also asked ...

Transcend - Not Making Minimums
Oct 11, 2011

Has anyone been let go from Transcend due to inability to make minimums in 90 days.  How does the process work-Do they try to match you with another account perhaps to help. ...

Anyone Else At Transcend Not Making Any Money?
Feb 07, 2012

I've been at Transcend now since Dec 20th.  My line counts are pathetic.  It's not because of lack of work.  No, it is speed.  I cannot get any speed at all.  For my hours, I have made less than min wage.  When working on Editscript, I got a lot more lines per hour than this, 250-400 editing according to the dictator but never under 250.  On BeyondTXT it is way below that, not exactly sure how much.  It was 180 but it has went down instead o ...

I Know Now Why I'm Not Making Money At Transcend.
Feb 22, 2012

I have been working at Transcend since Dec. 20.  I have not been able to consistently average a good line count.  I was wondering if it was possible for me to get a decent line count.  Well, last night I got several reports in a row of a good dictator that the VR picked up well.  I got 300 lines in an hour for him, which is a lot better than I do on some.  So I know it is possible to do decent BUT I get dictators that are so bad that the VR still won't even pick the ...

Okay... Let's Tell MM Why They Can't Meet TAT
Jun 12, 2015

degraded, demeaned, overworked, underpaid, underappreciated... ...

Ends In -rhagia
Mar 19, 2011

GI consult and doc says this "patient has no hematemesis, s/o menorrhagia, or bright red blood per rectum." This is an 80-year-old man, so it cANNOT be menorrhagia. So what is a blood-related condition associated with GI problems? I can only think of hemoptysis and I know there are probably a million other things it could be, but I can't think of them.  What ends in rhagia for the GI system? ...

Unemployment Unexpectedly Ends, Still No Job. Sm
Nov 16, 2010

Just some history:  I have been in denial for over a year thinking that I would easily get another job after being with MQ for nine years.  Ha!  I resisted going into another field as I really love transcribing and everything medical in general, also a former RN 25 years ago.  I have gotten a few offers for IC at a ridiculous rate and declined.  Mostly, I have not gotten even a response when applying for a position.  Now comes my belated rude awakening wi ...

Question About When Training Pay Ends...
Mar 27, 2013

I have been on training pay at $10 an hour.  I have this pay period and half of next pay period left of training pay.  Then I will get per line pay.  I have been on these accts for 3 weeks now.  Accts have lots of ESLs, bad dictators, not good.  Straight, no VR.  Things is after 3 weeks according to my lines and hours I am not quite making min wage yet.  After this pay period and part of the next when I get per line pay if it is not equivalent to min wage what ...

I Just Love How My TSM Ends All Her Emails With
Mar 21, 2015

any questions you may have.....only to completely IGNORE my emails when I do have them.     ...

Everyone I Meet Thinks I Have Such A Great Job...NOT
Mar 26, 2010

They say, oh wow you get to work from home, that's great. I wish I could.  Yeah it has it's perks and used to be fantastically flexible...key words "USED TO BE", now I'm tied to my desk, lost money, threat of money being taken away, company uses words like "lock down" -- isn't that a prison term??? Now I'm afraid to sneeze, breathe, take a bathroom break etc....GRRRR!  Just venting, everyone I know thinks my life is cushy...!!! ...

Do We Have To Meet All 3 Criteria To Make More Than 7 CPL
Dec 17, 2014

Met 2 of the criteria, but not the third, so shows 7 cents a line. ?. I thought they were independent of each other. I am losing money for sure. Not happy. ...

Can Someone Tell Me When TransTech Pay Period Begins And Ends
Jul 30, 2010

nm ...

Supplemental Insurance Coverage Ends Aug 31
Aug 29, 2012

If you have the Critical Accident, Cancer, Short Term Disability, etc through Alpha Staff, it is ending August 31, I was told by a phone call to Alpha today. Have not heard anything from Colonial yet regarding a new policy. Just to let anyone know who cares. ...

Time To Regroup; UE Extension Ends 12/29
Nov 18, 2012

I am almost 50 and have been in the MT field for over 25 years.  Certified, consultant, national sales rep, own company -- did all that and sold the T-shirts too.  Finally the stress of being an MTSO adversely affected my health so I resumed just being a regular ole MT.  That's a tangent, though... In the last 3 years, two hospital employers outsourced the MT Dept. Of course, both times we were ineligible for unemployment.  I went to work for a service who lai ...

Daylight Savings Time Ends 11/03/14
Oct 30, 2013

Spring Ahead, Fall Back If you work third shift, Sat-Sun, clock out at 1am, do something productive until 2am is turned back to 1am, unless you have work and need an extra hour of lines. Just saying... ...

Can't Seem To Meet The Minimum Line Counts
Dec 30, 2012

I am new at Nuance - started in Nov. I am beginning to get frustrated though cause I just can't seem to meet the minimum line counts with VR or typing. Please, someone tell me it's not just me .... I know they give you 3 months to "get up to speed", but I don't think that is going to be long enough for me at the rate I am going. Do they terminate you if you aren't meeting line counts after 3 months?  How long did it take some of you to be able to consistently meet the line c ...

Is It Common To Not Be Able To Meet Line Counts?
Feb 13, 2013

Is it common to not be able to meet line counts at Nuance? I have been there close to 3 months and cannot make my line count basically due to having some many ESLs and having to correct so many things in VR. Very frustrated!! ...

Federal Guidelines To Meet For ICs Under HIPAA
Sep 09, 2013

So I passed the BA Agreement, proof of liability insurance and Policies and Procedures with the company, so I may still be able to work as an IC and not an employee, but here is their response: "You must first provide proof that you meet the Federal Guidelines to remain an IC before providing proof of insurance or policies and procedures. You can research this by doing a Google search but these guidelines MUST be met in order to remain an IC." I already also passed the HIPAA training. What e ...

Wow! Accounts Have Little Work And Did Not Meet Minimum
Mar 30, 2015

wage average for this week.  :o  Even as a newbie I always met minimum wage and I now have 16 years under my belt, 8 on this platform and account. It would help if there was enough steady work so I a not bouncing all over doing tiny reports for 8 lines each.   I only had one larger bad ESL report for this grading period on Fiesa off my tiertiary account and it was below 99% so and with the crappy tiny reports and the guy who did 50 minutes of nothing I had to listen to my lines t ...

If You Don't Transcribe Enough To Meet Minimum Wage?
May 16, 2015

Does the company pay you up to 10.00/hour or whatever minimum wage is in your state?  I was told they pay 10.00/hour for each PTO hour that you take but what about production pay - what is minimum wage - 10.00/hour or what your state's minimum wage is?   ...

Hard To Meet 6500 Lpw Line Count At Webmedx Now. What Gives?
Aug 10, 2011

Ever since we been taken over by Nuance, and I've had to type my main account on the native platform, I can't seem to pick up line counts no matter how fast or how hard I try. It's very frustrating.  They raised the line count to 6500 lines per week from when I first started 2 years ago of 5000.  I used to be able to type a lot more.  Been an MT for more than 10 years now.  I feel something weird going on. ...

Anyone Else Having Trouble With
Feb 15, 2010

I can't even get it to open.  ...

DS Trouble
Feb 22, 2010

My laptop crashed today and is now in the shop.  I am trying to use our home desktop but can't get the files to completely download.  I called customer service, but since I am using our home computer, they won't help, only told me to make sure that any firewalls are turned off before installing DS.  Has anyone had this trouble before that can help?  I have uninstalled DS and reinstalled it several times, restarted the computer, turned off any firewalls I can find, t ...

Anyone Else Having Trouble With DQS?
Apr 19, 2010

All of the sudden, it is hung on the download screen.  The box popped up saying "downloading job #xxxxxxxx.  Getting job details." And then the log out button is below that. It has been like that for 10 minutes.  I logged out and logged back in.  The same job came back as a reserved job, and it is hung again, doing the same thing. I checked DEP now, but the light is green.  Just wondering if anyone else is having issues.  Guess I'll have to contact suppo ...

Is Anybody Having Trouble With Using
Jun 23, 2010

Explorer 8 on Medquist computer? They sent me a new computer because the fan went out in the old one and the new one had Explorer 8 on it. Now anything internet-based such as DocQmanage (client profiles, etc.) the text has letters that are different colors, making it very hard to read, and tech support cannot figure out how to fix it. It seems to be related to Explorer 8 because I did not have this problem with Explorer 6 and everything else such as DocQscribe, PDF files, and word files are all ...

Trouble With DQS?
Jul 26, 2010

Anyone else having trouble with DQS this morning? I had trouble logging on, would get stuck loading a job then take the job away, say no jobs available, etc. Then it worked for a while, now doing the same thing. Tried to call support, busy. Was just wondering if it was just me! ...