A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How do you make ends meet? - tired

Posted: Nov 05, 2011

I have been transcribing for over 26 years and now I can't even make ends meet.  Does anyone else have the problem of having to be a workaholic or not be able to survive financially?  PLEASE give me any hints that have helped you out.  I'm tired and frustrated.  Thanks!

I can't make ends meet, which is why - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am going back to college to get a degree that is useful and will help me be gainfully employed. MT was an awesome job years ago, now it's awful.

Me too. I'm the one who posted above as... - Always looking for more work! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

If I get out of debt, I will be able to make ends meet. - thatismygoal

[ In Reply To ..]
This time next year, I will be debt free with a good income if I keep at it like I am doing now.

Same problem here. It seems like the harder I work, - the less money I make. (sm) Pro-Occupy

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been treading water by withdrawing whatever I was short each pay period from my savings account. Savings will be gone in about 2 more years, then I really don't know what I'm going to do. I keep hoping I'll find a better job, but after 3 years of looking and applying, so far no takers yet. I'm also getting by with accepting handouts from my mom and siblings. I'm getting used to going hungry once in a while, when the cupboards go bare before the paycheck comes in. I've been doing a little sewing on the side for extra money, but it's not a lot, and it's hard to find enough time to sew, when I spend most of my time transcribing, mainly to keep my insurance. I feel like a slave to my HMO.

I'm doing fine now but about 45 years ago I had that problem - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked way too many hours back 45 years ago and made nothing. I had nothing. I got lots of help from my parents. About 20 years ago things got really good. In fact, I know people who had horrible skills and were making loads of money. I don't think those same skills would be acceptable these days and most of the people I knew were not the kind of people to work on their skills or keep them updated. I think most of them have given up and are doing a little part-time work selling cosmetics, etc.

I'm seriously trying to come up with some solutions for you. If you need to upgrade your skills, of course, do that. If you need to change to a different employer, do that, if you can afford to take the chance of changing jobs. Analyze your work situation and see if you have anything you can change. Are friends calling or coming over doing work hours? Are you stopping work too much for breaks? Probably not, but it's worth asking those questions. Otherwise, I don't have any great ideas to offer, but I tried.

It has been difficult - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in it for as long as you and about 3 years ago the bad bad situation hit where things were going ASR/SR and the "no work" situation. I decided to go back to graduate school. I was newly divorced and a single mom, but I thought that made sense. I have been in graduate school 2 years now and I tell you I have been on the brink of homelessness. At first I tried hanging in on MTing but had to switch jobs several times to stay afloat. For a while I just studied and lived on student loans, but the refunds did not pay the rent and you have to depend on the Fed govt's schedule of refunding, so my credit suffered for late payments. After 2 years I got an IC MT job where I just stayed with it b/c I became tired and frustrated of changing jobs but I knew I needed one. I did not know how to do anything else. So still I continued my graduate school, now half time and job full time. The job was so bad, I got paid less than minimum wage, did not pay rent for several months, was almost evicted. I had to go on food stamps. But I continued on. Finally, I ended up flat on my back from stress of not paying bills and I had to take time off from everything. It was then I realized I truly faced homelessness as I have no relatives left alive.
Somehow when things got so bad and my child had to stay elsewhere is when I decided to stop this behavior of victim. I got rid of the job not paying me right and I got 2 jobs transcribing which equal about three quarters of one job now and the pay from those 2 jobs and the student loans and food stamps I can make ends meet. I have no credit, use no credit, because the debt to income ratio with student loans will not allow me to get anything on credit. Don't let it get so bad you are almost homeless or that you are flat on your back from stress. Don't stay at a job that you know is going nowhere. Make ends meet by realizing out in the world, they need cash for your rent/mortgage, utilities, you need to eat. Because they will take away your home, they will cut your lights off. You don't want to get down as far as I let it get because I was naive. Work 2 jobs, if it adds up to less than one, make sure those ends meet. Go back to school. Do what you have to do but do it before the stress of worry gets to you. Sorry so long, but I hope you do not follow my path. And another word to the wise. People in the world have no idea what MTs go through, the games played with low wages by employers, they have no idea how and why we aren't being paid, and you know what? They don't care. They really don't. Just suck it up, find a job that pays well, or two, and make those bills. Good luck to you!

I think it's disgusting that MTSOs can get away with - what they do to their MTs, and - (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
that they seem to be getting off scott-free, too - without being held accountable for the economic and labor mayhem they have wreaked.

They're greedy, blood-sucking GLUTTONS, all of them.

AGREE!! - Always looking for more work! nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I agree also and I think it is absolutely ridiculous - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
that they "require" specific things and then want you to test. I don't think so!! Greedy is all they are.

Yes, I'm having the same problem and hoping I don't get - evicted this month because of it nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Same boat here - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm hanging on by a thread and slowly going down the tubes. Interestingly, once I started looking, I actually found many other jobs that can be done from home.

With the MT work, I kept waiting for things to get better, but I now realize that it is not going to get better. Then, I concluded that I complain all the time but the fear of change and moving out of my comfort zone is what's keeping me from totally quitting MT work. However, it would be better to be a little uncomfortable while I still have access to food and shelter, rather than wait until I'm totally homeless.

The last company that I worked for lost the account and laid me off without a day's notice, even though I had worked for them for almost 5 years. It turns out that they knew the client was going to an in-house system any day, but did not share that info. They also laid off one of their key support personnel and likely many others whom I do not know. I had actually been fooled to think that the company cared about me. At this point, I was shocked back to reality and realize that I was only a piece of equipment to them. The end of any good MT work at home is coming and I'd better get prepared. A part-time job at a fast food joint is looking quite good at this point in time. At the very least, it would pay minimum wage for hours worked, and if they should lay me off due to no fault of my own, I would be eligible for unemployment benefits, which is not so in the case of an IC MT job.

Time to stand up and say, "We're sick of being treated badly and we're not going to take it anymore." Yes, easier said than done, but there is such a sense of freedom and renewed energy that comes from doing this. MT work is not the only job that can be done from home.

I agree. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
They really do not care if we go homeless. And this is not a "tall story." We can if we believe and wait or flex our hours. I honestly tried checking in over a 24 hour period and I never got more than 700 lines. S/R. At 4 c a line that is 35.00. My checks trying very hard were 200 a week. That's it. And the Salvation Army charges after a while, and you can't work from "home" there. I think that on a whole the personality profile of an MT is a person who is extremely intelligent, extremely hardworking, book smart, but perhaps too trusting, or someone who believes that hard work will pay off in the end. I believe the majority of us are like that, which is why the majority of us are taken advantage of and why a lot of us have lived in hotels or have seen the brink of disaster. This is a global scale taking advantage of and I just hope if karma exists then it will swing back. Problem is we can't wait for that. The landlord will put us out, the food stamps only cover so much and as I said above this is no lie, the "real world" doesn't believe we are treated this way so they think it is us. Some of us even do believe that lie. No paranoia here, but the truth. So the faster we personally realize it's them and not us, and we go for the money, even if it's 3 MT jobs with school to get out of it the better. I hate to blame we victims but we have to stop acting like victims. We have to get ourselves out of this hole, and in the future stop trusting too much and start thinking of ourselves. That is what I realized through all of this anyway.
Addendum to above - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
That 35.00 figure was not 28.00 because I assumed a little straight typing was in there at a higher rate. Just FYI.

Heard of jobs lost in 2 different careers last week - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a friend who owns a tag agency. Now people can buy their tags directly online. They will now have to lay off people.

We used to have to buy our turnpike passes in person, but now the people who work there are no longer needed because it's all online.

There was also a big company that is laying off 3,000 people. I wonder where they are going to find jobs.

Similar Messages:

How Many Of You HAVE To Work 2 Jobs To Make Ends Meet?
Jul 03, 2010

Ok, I'll Bite. Is ANYONE Able To Make Ends Meet At M*Modal? Sm
Dec 30, 2012

I am not asking if you are happy.  I haven't been happy being an MT for years.  I just want to be able to pay my bills, have an income and pay my bills.  I'm not making what I made years ago either, but I can pay my bills (not much left over after that's done.)  I am stuck with M*Modal for the time being and not of my choice.  I have worked for other large nationals that were constantly bad mouthed, and I was able to make a living at them.  Does anyon ...

Struggling To Make Ends Meet. Anyone Know Who Pays Weekly?
Apr 08, 2013

any help is appreciated. i checked the archives but there is nothing very current.  ...

Having Trouble Making Ends Meet At Transcend?
May 10, 2011

For those of you interested in Transcend's Q1 public statement, go here: http://www.gurufocus.com/StockLink.php?type=sec&symbol=TRCR&date=2011-05-09&report=10-Q Also, for those Transcend MTs having difficulty making a living...(again, this is public information for their COO) Compensation for 2010 Salary $275,000.00 Bonus $0.00 Restricted stock awards $435,780.00 All other compensation $2,206.00 Option awards $ $0.00 Non-equity i ...

Do We Have To Meet All 3 Criteria To Make More Than 7 CPL
Dec 17, 2014

Met 2 of the criteria, but not the third, so shows 7 cents a line. ?. I thought they were independent of each other. I am losing money for sure. Not happy. ...

Okay... Let's Tell MM Why They Can't Meet TAT
Jun 12, 2015

degraded, demeaned, overworked, underpaid, underappreciated... ...

Ends In -rhagia
Mar 19, 2011

GI consult and doc says this "patient has no hematemesis, s/o menorrhagia, or bright red blood per rectum." This is an 80-year-old man, so it cANNOT be menorrhagia. So what is a blood-related condition associated with GI problems? I can only think of hemoptysis and I know there are probably a million other things it could be, but I can't think of them.  What ends in rhagia for the GI system? ...

Unemployment Unexpectedly Ends, Still No Job. Sm
Nov 16, 2010

Just some history:  I have been in denial for over a year thinking that I would easily get another job after being with MQ for nine years.  Ha!  I resisted going into another field as I really love transcribing and everything medical in general, also a former RN 25 years ago.  I have gotten a few offers for IC at a ridiculous rate and declined.  Mostly, I have not gotten even a response when applying for a position.  Now comes my belated rude awakening wi ...

Question About When Training Pay Ends...
Mar 27, 2013

I have been on training pay at $10 an hour.  I have this pay period and half of next pay period left of training pay.  Then I will get per line pay.  I have been on these accts for 3 weeks now.  Accts have lots of ESLs, bad dictators, not good.  Straight, no VR.  Things is after 3 weeks according to my lines and hours I am not quite making min wage yet.  After this pay period and part of the next when I get per line pay if it is not equivalent to min wage what ...

I Just Love How My TSM Ends All Her Emails With
Mar 21, 2015

any questions you may have.....only to completely IGNORE my emails when I do have them.     ...

Everyone I Meet Thinks I Have Such A Great Job...NOT
Mar 26, 2010

They say, oh wow you get to work from home, that's great. I wish I could.  Yeah it has it's perks and used to be fantastically flexible...key words "USED TO BE", now I'm tied to my desk, lost money, threat of money being taken away, company uses words like "lock down" -- isn't that a prison term??? Now I'm afraid to sneeze, breathe, take a bathroom break etc....GRRRR!  Just venting, everyone I know thinks my life is cushy...!!! ...

Can Someone Tell Me When TransTech Pay Period Begins And Ends
Jul 30, 2010

nm ...

Supplemental Insurance Coverage Ends Aug 31
Aug 29, 2012

If you have the Critical Accident, Cancer, Short Term Disability, etc through Alpha Staff, it is ending August 31, I was told by a phone call to Alpha today. Have not heard anything from Colonial yet regarding a new policy. Just to let anyone know who cares. ...

Time To Regroup; UE Extension Ends 12/29
Nov 18, 2012

I am almost 50 and have been in the MT field for over 25 years.  Certified, consultant, national sales rep, own company -- did all that and sold the T-shirts too.  Finally the stress of being an MTSO adversely affected my health so I resumed just being a regular ole MT.  That's a tangent, though... In the last 3 years, two hospital employers outsourced the MT Dept. Of course, both times we were ineligible for unemployment.  I went to work for a service who lai ...

Daylight Savings Time Ends 11/03/14
Oct 30, 2013

Spring Ahead, Fall Back If you work third shift, Sat-Sun, clock out at 1am, do something productive until 2am is turned back to 1am, unless you have work and need an extra hour of lines. Just saying... ...

Can't Seem To Meet The Minimum Line Counts
Dec 30, 2012

I am new at Nuance - started in Nov. I am beginning to get frustrated though cause I just can't seem to meet the minimum line counts with VR or typing. Please, someone tell me it's not just me .... I know they give you 3 months to "get up to speed", but I don't think that is going to be long enough for me at the rate I am going. Do they terminate you if you aren't meeting line counts after 3 months?  How long did it take some of you to be able to consistently meet the line c ...

Is It Common To Not Be Able To Meet Line Counts?
Feb 13, 2013

Is it common to not be able to meet line counts at Nuance? I have been there close to 3 months and cannot make my line count basically due to having some many ESLs and having to correct so many things in VR. Very frustrated!! ...

Federal Guidelines To Meet For ICs Under HIPAA
Sep 09, 2013

So I passed the BA Agreement, proof of liability insurance and Policies and Procedures with the company, so I may still be able to work as an IC and not an employee, but here is their response: "You must first provide proof that you meet the Federal Guidelines to remain an IC before providing proof of insurance or policies and procedures. You can research this by doing a Google search but these guidelines MUST be met in order to remain an IC." I already also passed the HIPAA training. What e ...

Wow! Accounts Have Little Work And Did Not Meet Minimum
Mar 30, 2015

wage average for this week.  :o  Even as a newbie I always met minimum wage and I now have 16 years under my belt, 8 on this platform and account. It would help if there was enough steady work so I a not bouncing all over doing tiny reports for 8 lines each.   I only had one larger bad ESL report for this grading period on Fiesa off my tiertiary account and it was below 99% so and with the crappy tiny reports and the guy who did 50 minutes of nothing I had to listen to my lines t ...

If You Don't Transcribe Enough To Meet Minimum Wage?
May 16, 2015

Does the company pay you up to 10.00/hour or whatever minimum wage is in your state?  I was told they pay 10.00/hour for each PTO hour that you take but what about production pay - what is minimum wage - 10.00/hour or what your state's minimum wage is?   ...

Hard To Meet 6500 Lpw Line Count At Webmedx Now. What Gives?
Aug 10, 2011

Ever since we been taken over by Nuance, and I've had to type my main account on the native platform, I can't seem to pick up line counts no matter how fast or how hard I try. It's very frustrating.  They raised the line count to 6500 lines per week from when I first started 2 years ago of 5000.  I used to be able to type a lot more.  Been an MT for more than 10 years now.  I feel something weird going on. ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

How Much Does A CCM Make
Jun 17, 2010

And do they get bonuses based on TAT?   have always been curious about this.  There was a time when I made more per year than an asst. supervisor (back at my co. before MQ bought us out).  Of course that is not the case anymore.  Any educated guesses? ...

Do Any Of The MTs Out There Make At Least...sm
Jan 25, 2011

$15 an hour on a daily basis.  I am in a horrific job right now (outside of my home) and need to make at least what I am making now which is about $15 an hour for a total of $97 a day.  I know transcription is tough nowadays, but if I go back to MT, do you think I can make at least that on a daily basis? ...

Is It Possible To Make
Aug 17, 2011

around $1,000/month part-time in this industry? ...

I Seriously Don't Know How To Make This Better
Aug 24, 2011

I've been working with this company for over 90 days. The first 90 days was a paid internship. Paid hourly, minimum wage. I am now a full time employee...paid on production.   However, I can not even seem to make minimum wage while on production pay! It is driving me nuts and is very discouraging. I'm not sure where to point the finger.   I worked 8 hours, only took one 20 minute break to eat. Over those 8 hours, according to the employers data base, I did around 1200 lin ...

What Do You Make?
Nov 15, 2011

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before ... or if this is one of those taboo subjects.. :) But what do you make per month as an MT and how many hours per week do you work to achieve that?  I'm just feeling like I can/should up my game a bit and thought this may be an encouraging way to get that push I need.  :)  ...

MUP (make Up Pay)
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone every get fired from Nuance for MUP?  ...

Okay Say I Make 10/6
Nov 05, 2012

What do you think they will do to get rid of me? I am really worried now, reading about all these terminations. ...

I DO NOT Want To Make Anyone Mad....
Nov 13, 2012

I looked at all the emails under here when I stopped work this afternoon and was hoping for a good description of the Town Hall meeting thingy.  What was the upshot?  Anything other than the usual blah blah blah?  Anything we need to know or else! LOL ...