A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Those working in hospital what is the minimal amount of minutes required - in an 8 hour shift

Posted: Jan 27, 2010

I started this job back in April, when this hospital decided to bring its transcriptionists back in-house.  Small 200 bed hospital and they hired another person and myself.  We both have 30 years experience, but she is more so clinic specialty (ophthalmology) and myself all acute-care with 10 of those years working for MTSO.  There is no set minimum of lines nor minutes; however, the work is very much backlogged and now they are looking closer at our production as it relates to minutes, and seeing that I produce probably double sometimes triple what the other person does.  I believe they started us both out at 16.67 an hour.  Well, I am wanting to know what is the across the board minimal minutes required in a day, because I am not going to "bust my butt" when one can type 40-50 minutes a day and I type 120 to 150 minutes a day and get the same pay.  I am sure most of it is related to me accustomed to typing on production and pushing myself, but I am 50 plus and ready to chill also.

When I worked in a hospital - MT in PA

[ In Reply To ..]
that went by minutes I'm pretty sure the minimum minutes was 80 minutes for an 8 hours shift.

The other hospital I worked at went by lines and that was 110/lines an hour. But for minutes, pretty sure what I put above is what I remember.

125 minutes/day in 1996 - nm - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]

Those working in hospital - pauline

[ In Reply To ..]
When I had my hospital job pay per hour I was making $15.30 an hour plus incentive which I made also. We had to do no less than 145 lines per hour which equals 1087 lines a day to stay within guidelines. I was in a big hospital too. I would say they will be setting certain guidelines if not already in place. All MTs in hospital were outsourced so everyone lost that good job and now I have to work by the line. Many hospitals are going this route it seems. We were put on the Titanic and never thrown a row boat and we just left to sink. Very depressing especially after I had been with this place for over 24 years. Hope they do not do the same to you all. Hope this helps

We have a quota of 90 minutes (11.25 minutes per hour) but encouraged to make incentive (120 minutes - mel

[ In Reply To ..]
We are based at 11.25 minutes an hour. Quota is 90 minutes but they strongly encourage at least 120 minutes a day. I think they are going to change it soon.

Minimum minutes - itype2

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at a multispecialty clinic. We have different experience levels. Entry level is 90 minutes in 8 hours, level 2 is 110 minutes in 8 hours, level 3 is 120 minutes in 8 hours, these are the minimum amounts. They have multipliers that they use (1.11, for example) to calculate our hourly wage)

Similar Messages:

Required To Do At Least 15 Minutes Of Audio Per Hour
May 17, 2012

I recently started with a new company where I am paid per minute. I am required to do at least 15 minutes of audio per hour while in training and then at least 20 minutes of audio per hour after that point as the minimum requirements. The account that I am on has dictations that are mostly 1 minute or less, fast talkers and pulling in templates. Do you think that these minimums are attainable? I know that I can do that many audio minutes on average, but I'm not used to being paid by the aud ...

Working For MTSOs, Are WE Required
Oct 13, 2012

. ...

Working For A Hospital
Feb 23, 2011

Does anybody out there work at home for a hospital, not a transcription company.  How do they handle the running out of work situation - do they expect you to use your PTO or take it without pay.  Are they more flexible with scheduling - I was hoping for some place that might say you have to work 8 hours a day anytime between say 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.  Do they still pay by the line, and less for speech recognition? ...

Working PRN For Hospital? See Msg.
May 12, 2011

Been doing this at home for 15+ years and going for a job interview to work p.r.n. for a local hospital.  Not sure of the details as of yet but if anyone out there has any input from their own experience on what exactly being an in-house p.r.n. transcriptionist is all about, please share.  Pros, cons, how the scheduling works, etc.  Thanks!  :) ...

Working With A New Hospital And
Feb 26, 2013

in the labs, the doctors keep referring to "the CMS" (shows potassium...CO2...ALT...). For the life of me, this old MT cannot figure out what CMS stands for other than the name of a lab, and I don't believe that is it.  Any thoughts? ...

64 Minutes Of Phone Off The Hook - Not Wasting My Time Listening To The Entire 64 Minutes!
Mar 07, 2014

Only warrants periodic scans. If anyone comes back at me for that, they can listen to 64 minutes of nothing themselves. If the doctor dictated, too bad he did not follow protocol = put the dictation on hold when not dictating or hang up the phone! ...

Wow. I Have Been Clocked In 45 Minutes, And My Inactive Time Shows As 34 Minutes.
May 08, 2013

It appears to be only counting the active time to be the actual time the audio is playing and not all the time I spend in ADT and formatting. Looks like they may be manipulating the figure to ding people "for not actively working" for long periods of time. Hmmm, building another way to fire people? ...

Minimal To No Tenderness
Nov 18, 2009

This doctor loves these complex phrases, and there are a few I am not sure about.  Do these need hyphens?  Is there a good place to reference this, as this is not in my Stedman's Word books that I can find.   Thanks. minimal to no tenderness superior to inferior fracture 1 pack per day smoker ...

Mild Skin Irritation Along The Nasal Vestibules And Minimal
Apr 09, 2012

x ...

Femur And Pelvis X-rays - Minimal Spurring Of The Acetabulum And Questionable Fragmentation Of The S
Nov 04, 2009

x ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Same Amount Of Work, Less Pay?
Dec 04, 2013

Does anyone else suspect their company is fiddling with the software, thereby paying less to MTs for the same amount of work?  I switched accounts last summer, within the same company, to a hospital that pays more, sure that my pay would increase.  Lo and behold, I just noticed on my paycheck that I'll make about 5,000 to 8,000 less this year than last, and, if anything, I'm working more hours.  Truly infuriating because there is no way to prove it. ...

Does Anyone Know The Down Time Amount From-SM
Feb 27, 2014

Tuesday.  I need to see how much "time" I need to make up to get my hours in....ugh! ...

What Do You Think Is An Acceptable Amount Of
Jun 21, 2014

ESL per account for .07 cents a line? I have been getting 2 in 3 ESL for the last 3 months now. Never used to be that way. Not just ESL, but difficult ESL that do 15 to 20 minutes at a time. They changed on me without saying anything. Is this a normal amount or am I being used? ...

Expression Of Dollar Amount. Please See Msg.
Nov 16, 2009

Doctor says: "She is carrying about 12 to 15 thousand dollars in credit card debt." Do I put it $12 to $15 thousand, $12,000 or $15,000 or as above? Thanks. ...

Zylomed - Amount Of Work?
Aug 06, 2010

I recently started with Zylomed and I am a 'floater'.  Does anyone have any experience with this company and if there is enough work as a floater?  I am trying to decide if I want to keep doing this or just take on some accounts that would be my own. Thanx!! (:   ...

What Does $1 Per Audio Minute Amount To? SM
Jul 12, 2013

I've never been paid per audio minute.  What would 1 dollar per audio minute come to if I can type 300 lines per hour?  Does anyone have an equation I can plug the numbers in to or any idea what a ballpark figure would be for this?  Thanks.   ...

Amount Per Audio Minute
Jun 01, 2015

Hi there.  Does anybody know what the going rate per audio minute is?  I'm used to getting paid hourly.  Thanks all! ...

Being Paid A Lower Amount Than Promised
Dec 18, 2009

Has anyone ever signed a contract with a company that specified a certain cpl and then when you started, you discovered that you  were being  paid a full cent less, with no explanation?  How did you handle it? ...

Personal Accounts And Amount To Charge?
May 27, 2013

Just wondering......I am an IC right now, but I have the opportunity to pick up some extra work from my own personal physician.  He was asking if I could type some of his more complicated PFT reports that he does not want to do on the EMR program they have.  I have not done any personal account work for a very very long time.  Back when I had accounts....we would go pick up the cassette, print out the stuff and take it back.  I was wondering if anyone out there has any person ...

What Do You Guys Think Is An Appropriate Amount Of Time For Research For A Report?
Oct 14, 2009

For say a syndrome, a drug, a doctor's name/address, facility name/address, etc.?  If I think I can hear the dictation correctly I do spend an extended amount of time because I KNOW I can find it.  However, if it is ify as to what I am hearing or the spellings could be a dozen different things, I ususally send to QA because if I am not sure - it's probably going to end up to QA anyway.  I NEVER look up a doctor's name if the first name is not dictate ...

Taxes - Got Back A Lot Less Than Last Year Yet Made The Same Amount
Feb 12, 2010

Well got taxes done and got back a lot less than last year yet made the same amount. Did they change something? This is so discouraging.  ...

Transcend Xmas Gift Card Amount?
Dec 20, 2011

Since I did not get a gift card yet, I'm curious about the dollar amount on it.  Please don't tell me its a $5 gift card to Starbucks. ...

Question About Audio Hour Pay/amount Of Lines
Aug 20, 2012

Not sure if this is on the right board but it's about a general transcription question so I think so.  Does anone have an idea of how many lines someone would type in an audio hour of transcription?  Sorry if that sounds like a ditzy question but since I have always been paid by the line am wondering about being paid by the audio hour.  Any input would be appreciated.This would be general transcription. ...

I Have No Patience For The Amount Of Corrections Needed Today!
Oct 12, 2013

I swear the speech engine just makes up the output as it has no resemblence to what the doctor says! We got a note stating we were making too many errors and our quality had gone down, with a side note that QAM knows we are struggling to maintain our counts, but this does not matter. Every once in a while I get told to slow down. Heck,I doing the best with what I have and the fatigue of doing this all day. Only minor errors such as leaving in an extra pronoun or such. I don't ...

Question On Amount Of Audited Reports - Nuance
Jan 05, 2015

I'm wondering, how many reports on average are pulled each week for audit?  Does anyone find it varies, for example, they may pull 1 or 2 one week then 7 or 8 (that are all 100% accurate) the next week, but keep pulling until they find something to knock down your accuracy rating for that pay week so you end up with 12 or 13 reports audited?  ...

Is It Common To Have A Limited Amount Of Work During The Summer Season?
Aug 05, 2012

I'm curious if this is throughout a lot of MT companies where the summer seasons are the slowest in terms of receiving work. I used to have an abundunt amount of doctors to transcribe for across multiple accounts, but now all of a sudden that has changed, and I am almost always out of work and I no longer transcribe for what I'm estimating as half to 3/4 of the list of docs. Is this something normal? Do doctors get together and take a 3-month hiatus at once, or something...? I'm p ...

Weird But It Seems I Am Doing The Same Amount Of Work But Lower Line Count
Apr 26, 2013

did they possibly change the character count per line so we make less money? ...

CMT Required Now?
Sep 19, 2011

So, if one is looking for a different MTSO employer, what's the competition like?  Is CMT pretty much a given now?  I mean, do I have to find the funds to pay for that and get the title just to be part of the competition?  NEED ADVISE PLEASE ...