A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

required to do at least 15 minutes of audio per hour - Please

Posted: May 17, 2012

I recently started with a new company where I am paid per minute. I am required to do at least 15 minutes of audio per hour while in training and then at least 20 minutes of audio per hour after that point as the minimum requirements. The account that I am on has dictations that are mostly 1 minute or less, fast talkers and pulling in templates. Do you think that these minimums are attainable? I know that I can do that many audio minutes on average, but I'm not used to being paid by the audio minute and I'm not used to an account that has mostly short reports like that. I was thinking if the reports are all like 1 minute and I have to do 20 minutes an hour that would be like doing 1 of these reports every 3 minutes. I'm not sure if that is possible given that you have to enter the demographics info and look at schedules, etc. Just wondering what others thoughts are. I am just a little scared that I won't cut it, I guess. TIA!

dictated minute - rusty fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to get paid by the dictated minute, actually way back in the good ole days, $1.50 per dictated minute and I could easily do 20 minutes an hour. Yes, that means $30.00/hr. or more when I was really going good! I am no where close to making that these days. For all of you who keep saying there are a bunch of bitter whiners here, you just haven't been in this business long enough to see what has happened to it!

Dictated minute - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been paid that way too, 15 minutes in an hour was our minimum for level 3 MTs and pretty easy to achieve. We entered a lot of demographics and were able to do it. I never made it to 20 minutes an hour but some of the faster MTs did. If you're working with templated information, it should be no problem to meet those goals.

dictated minute - me

[ In Reply To ..]
1 dictated minute = 3 minutes to transcribe.

That's the general rule. So they are giving you 4:1 while you are training and expect 3:1 when you are done. Doable.

(btw- to rusty fingers - been around a long time and i still think there are some bitter whiners here)

Thanks for the replies - Still not sure

[ In Reply To ..]
I know it makes sense and I know that I can totally do that. At my other job I did 29 mintues per hour straight typing this morning, but when I started the new job where I am paid per minute I can't meet the minimum and get 15 minutes per hour. There are a lot of short reports where the dictator will dictate the demographics and then request that you pull in a template. You have to put the demos in there, add required copies, change the worktype, change the location, etc. Some reports are a minute or two minutes long and the dictator will state to insert the standard template and then go through a bunch of different patients (5 this morning on a 2-minute file) where you have to put in the demos, add the copies, split the dictation multiple times, etc. If I was getting paid by the line I know I would be making out, but I just can't seem to get fast enough. I am still learning the platform, so maybe that will get better. I'm just worried I won't be able to make the minimums. My hands are beat from working as fast as I could today.

BTW-not trying to be a bitter whiner here, just wondering if I am really just way too slow or what is going on.
dictated minute - me
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't hear you as bitter or whining ;)

The thing about paid by the dictated minute, the thought process is supposed to be that the reports are neither too short nor too long, so you are averaging.

HOWEVER, with what you describe, I don't think I'd take the job. The account owner knows that templates are being pulled in, etc and therefore doesn't want to have to pay for characters (rationalized that you'd get "free" lines). Now, if all you had to do was throw in some demographics, pull up a template, make 1 or 2 additions and call it a day, I'd say that would be fine in the long run. (Remember you're new to this so you have to factor in learning curve.)

But I think this account thinks they are paying fair when in reality they are not. Not that it's the MTs business but I'd bet the account owner is not being paid by the dictated minute so they are benefitting from all those templates.

I think I'd pass on this "deal."

Similar Messages:

Those Working In Hospital What Is The Minimal Amount Of Minutes Required
Jan 27, 2010

I started this job back in April, when this hospital decided to bring its transcriptionists back in-house.  Small 200 bed hospital and they hired another person and myself.  We both have 30 years experience, but she is more so clinic specialty (ophthalmology) and myself all acute-care with 10 of those years working for MTSO.  There is no set minimum of lines nor minutes; however, the work is very much backlogged and now they are looking closer at our production as it relates to mi ...

Is This Required Lines Of 186/hour New?
Jul 22, 2012

I've been MIA for 2 weeks but may have to return to work tomorrow....sigh.   I was checking emails and saw the line requirement.  ...

Required Lines Per Hour VR From Companies
Mar 25, 2014

I need some information on what companies require for LPH for VR.  The place I work for requires an insane amount.  I more than likely am going to get raked over the coals this week for not meeting my quota (it is over 500 lines an hour).  Any information would be helpful to present to HR.  ...

How Many Minutes Should You Be Able To Transcribe Per Hour?
Jan 18, 2011

An curious as I just started a job that runs on minutes.  The supervisor wants me to get up to 140 minutes a day transcribed in 8 hours.  About how many lines an hour would that be?  Will that be easy?  TIA ...

How Many Lines Required An 8-hour Shift For Editing?
Feb 21, 2010

Does any one have any requirements for editing for an 8-hr shift?  I know for straight typing is usually required to type 1200-1500.  Thanks in advance. ...

How Many Minutes Of Dictation Can You Do In An Hour/day On Average?
Feb 18, 2010

I was just wondering your best estimate of how many minutes of dictation you can do per hour/day. My manager is calculating that the average MT can do 100 minutes of dictation per day. This seems very low to me since I can usually do at least 20 minutes of dictation per hour with a mix of traditional typing and VR (more typing than VR). Am I just an anomaly? ...

How Does A Person Figure How Many Minutes In An Hour Of Dictation Can Do
Jan 19, 2010

I am putting in for a proofing/transcribing job with a company but i need to also write down what i need for wages by how many minutes of dictation i can do.  How do i do this?  I have never kept track of minutes/hour and how much i actually do.  It has always been 8-9 cents/line.  She says an average is 20 minutes of dictation/hour then divide by 60 and that is what i would get paid per minute anywhere between her range she has.  Does anyone know how to figure this out. ...

What Are Minimum Minutes For An 8 Hour Period Nationwide?
Feb 23, 2010

I wanted to know how many minutes in 8 hours is considered normal. Thanks for all replies in advance. ...

Line Counts - 38 Minutes Of Dictation Per Hour But Only Ended Up With 160 LPH?
Dec 09, 2011

I have been struggling to reach my line counts at a certain company for a while now. I thought it was me. I've been working really hard to get faster and use more shortcuts, etc. I just looked at my stats and I did 38 minutes of dictation per hour but only ended up with 160 LPH? How is that even possible? I haven't had any dictations today with a lot of dead air or anything like that. I've done 200+ minutes of dictation today and have 1400 lines to show for it. I'm just wond ...

Pay Per Hour Of Audio
Apr 22, 2010

I'm looking at a job that pays 50-55 dollars per recorded hour of audio.  This is interview or straight dictation transcription.  Does this sound okay?  I'm thinking if it takes me 2 hours to transcribe an hour, that wouldn't be such a bad deal.  I'm just not sure how long it would take me.  I do transcribe very fast...shortcuts are used for medical but can implement for this type of transcription as well.  Just not sure that the pay is reasonabl ...

$10 Per Audio Hour?
Mar 04, 2011

I'm a new graduate of Career Step, looking for work. Some Dr. wants to pay $10/audio hour? How many lines might that be? apay approx.? Rich ...

Audio Hour
Nov 06, 2011

About how much transcribing is 1 hour of audio? ...

Pay Per Audio Hour
Dec 15, 2011

How long does it take to transcribe 1 audio hour of dictation?  When I started, I was told we should average it as 10 minutes per every hour, but 10 minutes seems low to me now.  It would probably take me about 20 minutes to do a 10 minute job today, with proofing and looking up words, etc.  Then again, if you are learning something new, that might not be so unrealistic.  Just looking for opinions on this from those who have done it.  Keep in mind, I would be doing non-m ...

$$ Per Audio Hour
May 18, 2012

I am just wondering about what $50 per audio hour of dictation would amount to approximately.  I am no good at these things, but I suspect it is low.  Just an average would be good.  tia.  ...

$50.00 Per Audio Hour
Jul 30, 2014

I am used to getting paid by the hour doing medical transcription.  Is $50.00 per audio hour for general transcription good or bad?  I really don't know.  ...

Audio Hour Going Rate?
May 09, 2011

I am trying to bid a job and never before have done so by the audio hour.  Is it correct for 1 hour of audio usually 4-5 hours of typing? what would be an acceptable rate ? thank you ...

Rate Per Audio Hour
Sep 01, 2011

I am applying for a position for a company, and in the application they ask what your "desired rate per audio hour" is. So far in my application process, I have only come across desired rate per line, so I did not know how to answer this question. Just out of curiosity, what is the average rate per audio hour for MTs? ...

How To Estimate Per Audio Hour Pay Per Hr
Dec 15, 2011

I've been in this business a while, and when I've had to do an estimate, this is the method I used, and it's always worked for me to make sure I wasn't shorting myself. - First, the "rule" is that every minute of audio will take you 3 minutes to transcribe. Again, this is an estimate. It could be less time for audio with dead air or more for mushmouths/speed talkers or if you have to stop and look many things up. Therefore, an hour of audio will take you 3 hours to tr ...

Charging Per Audio Hour
Mar 31, 2015

I thought I had already posted this but I guess it didn't go through since I can't find the post but here's my question. I've been working for as an MT for a long time in an imaging facility being paid per hour.  It's been a long time since I was an IC.  A friend has asked me to type a 6 hour discussion from a focus group meeting.  Nothing too technical and no strong accents.  I'm used to just charging .10 per line but he wants a quote per hour. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me If They Worked For Someone That Pays By Audio Hour?
Mar 02, 2010

Has anyone worked for that person that pays by the audio hour? ...

Question About Audio Hour Pay/amount Of Lines
Aug 20, 2012

Not sure if this is on the right board but it's about a general transcription question so I think so.  Does anone have an idea of how many lines someone would type in an audio hour of transcription?  Sorry if that sounds like a ditzy question but since I have always been paid by the line am wondering about being paid by the audio hour.  Any input would be appreciated.This would be general transcription. ...

Taking A Stab At The Math Of $75/AUDIO Hour
Apr 24, 2013

If I understand this right, the calculation is $75 per audio hour - that means for every 60 minutes of dictation, the scribe is paid $75. If it takes one hour to complete the job, you make $75 per hour Two hours, $37.50 per hour. Three hours, $25 per hour. Four hours $18.75 per hour. What am I missing?  It typically takes at least three hours to transcribe one hour of dictation (audio).  If there is heavy formatting, difficult audio, etc., you can expect it to take longer.  U ...

Experienced MTs; Paid By The Line Or By The Audio Hour?
Jun 11, 2013

I've been an MT for over 5 years and have always been paid by the line. I would think that most MTs preferred wage is to be paid a set amount per hour.  If this were not an option, what has given you more of an income, paid by the line or by the AUDIO hour?  What I'm currently being offered per audio hour comes out to less than what I was paid per line at my previous job, but the reports are easier to understand so it may be worth it.  It is basically both ...

30 Minutes Into My 8 Hour Shift And Surprise Surprise
Mar 22, 2015

NJA!  Yeah your TAT is looking great but your employee morale is even worse than it was. ...

64 Minutes Of Phone Off The Hook - Not Wasting My Time Listening To The Entire 64 Minutes!
Mar 07, 2014

Only warrants periodic scans. If anyone comes back at me for that, they can listen to 64 minutes of nothing themselves. If the doctor dictated, too bad he did not follow protocol = put the dictation on hold when not dictating or hang up the phone! ...

Wow. I Have Been Clocked In 45 Minutes, And My Inactive Time Shows As 34 Minutes.
May 08, 2013

It appears to be only counting the active time to be the actual time the audio is playing and not all the time I spend in ADT and formatting. Looks like they may be manipulating the figure to ding people "for not actively working" for long periods of time. Hmmm, building another way to fire people? ...

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

CMT Required Now?
Sep 19, 2011

So, if one is looking for a different MTSO employer, what's the competition like?  Is CMT pretty much a given now?  I mean, do I have to find the funds to pay for that and get the title just to be part of the competition?  NEED ADVISE PLEASE ...