A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question about audio hour pay/amount of lines - Ang

Posted: Aug 20, 2012

Not sure if this is on the right board but it's about a general transcription question so I think so.  Does anone have an idea of how many lines someone would type in an audio hour of transcription?  Sorry if that sounds like a ditzy question but since I have always been paid by the line am wondering about being paid by the audio hour.  Any input would be appreciated.This would be general transcription.

audio hour pay - OHMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I transcribed interviews for someone for years and was paid by the line. I would keep track of my time just to get an idea of what my hourly pay ended up being for a particular job, but I actually never calculated how many lines per hour I typed.

If you are getting paid by the audio hour, however, keep in mind that it takes three times as long as the audio to transcribe it (longer if it is difficult or you have to stop & do a lot of research). For instance, one hour of audio will take you at least three hours to transcribe. So if someone is offering you a rate of, say, $20 per audio hour, forget it. That works out to less than minimum wage. If they offer $60 per audio hour, that's more reasonable, as you can end up making $20 per hour.

I hope this makes sense. Good luck!

Thanks - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, OHMT, makes sense and thanks for the info. This job I believe pays $33 per audio hour so is in keeping with most low-pay MT jobs nowadays. But I'm thinking that with general transcription it might be possible to gain a little speed due to the less technical nature of the dictation. We'll see. I left MModal but have gotten some offers of jobs with really terrible pay or ICs with strict employee conditions!:( So I'm branching out into general transcription to see what's out there.

I type for one doctor who talks so short and quick - he could literally dictate

[ In Reply To ..]
on a hundred patients on a 1-hour tape. I don't think I could charge enough to type his dictation figuring it that way.

We always charged by the minute of dictation - back in the dinosaur days.

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that might be easier to calculate. It would totally depend on if you have a fast talker or a slow talker how much you charge by the minute/hour.

Similar Messages:

What Does $1 Per Audio Minute Amount To? SM
Jul 12, 2013

I've never been paid per audio minute.  What would 1 dollar per audio minute come to if I can type 300 lines per hour?  Does anyone have an equation I can plug the numbers in to or any idea what a ballpark figure would be for this?  Thanks.   ...

Amount Per Audio Minute
Jun 01, 2015

Hi there.  Does anybody know what the going rate per audio minute is?  I'm used to getting paid hourly.  Thanks all! ...

Pay Per Hour Of Audio
Apr 22, 2010

I'm looking at a job that pays 50-55 dollars per recorded hour of audio.  This is interview or straight dictation transcription.  Does this sound okay?  I'm thinking if it takes me 2 hours to transcribe an hour, that wouldn't be such a bad deal.  I'm just not sure how long it would take me.  I do transcribe very fast...shortcuts are used for medical but can implement for this type of transcription as well.  Just not sure that the pay is reasonabl ...

$10 Per Audio Hour?
Mar 04, 2011

I'm a new graduate of Career Step, looking for work. Some Dr. wants to pay $10/audio hour? How many lines might that be? apay approx.? Rich ...

Audio Hour
Nov 06, 2011

About how much transcribing is 1 hour of audio? ...

Pay Per Audio Hour
Dec 15, 2011

How long does it take to transcribe 1 audio hour of dictation?  When I started, I was told we should average it as 10 minutes per every hour, but 10 minutes seems low to me now.  It would probably take me about 20 minutes to do a 10 minute job today, with proofing and looking up words, etc.  Then again, if you are learning something new, that might not be so unrealistic.  Just looking for opinions on this from those who have done it.  Keep in mind, I would be doing non-m ...

$$ Per Audio Hour
May 18, 2012

I am just wondering about what $50 per audio hour of dictation would amount to approximately.  I am no good at these things, but I suspect it is low.  Just an average would be good.  tia.  ...

$50.00 Per Audio Hour
Jul 30, 2014

I am used to getting paid by the hour doing medical transcription.  Is $50.00 per audio hour for general transcription good or bad?  I really don't know.  ...

Audio Hour Going Rate?
May 09, 2011

I am trying to bid a job and never before have done so by the audio hour.  Is it correct for 1 hour of audio usually 4-5 hours of typing? what would be an acceptable rate ? thank you ...

Rate Per Audio Hour
Sep 01, 2011

I am applying for a position for a company, and in the application they ask what your "desired rate per audio hour" is. So far in my application process, I have only come across desired rate per line, so I did not know how to answer this question. Just out of curiosity, what is the average rate per audio hour for MTs? ...

How To Estimate Per Audio Hour Pay Per Hr
Dec 15, 2011

I've been in this business a while, and when I've had to do an estimate, this is the method I used, and it's always worked for me to make sure I wasn't shorting myself. - First, the "rule" is that every minute of audio will take you 3 minutes to transcribe. Again, this is an estimate. It could be less time for audio with dead air or more for mushmouths/speed talkers or if you have to stop and look many things up. Therefore, an hour of audio will take you 3 hours to tr ...

Charging Per Audio Hour
Mar 31, 2015

I thought I had already posted this but I guess it didn't go through since I can't find the post but here's my question. I've been working for as an MT for a long time in an imaging facility being paid per hour.  It's been a long time since I was an IC.  A friend has asked me to type a 6 hour discussion from a focus group meeting.  Nothing too technical and no strong accents.  I'm used to just charging .10 per line but he wants a quote per hour. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me If They Worked For Someone That Pays By Audio Hour?
Mar 02, 2010

Has anyone worked for that person that pays by the audio hour? ...

Required To Do At Least 15 Minutes Of Audio Per Hour
May 17, 2012

I recently started with a new company where I am paid per minute. I am required to do at least 15 minutes of audio per hour while in training and then at least 20 minutes of audio per hour after that point as the minimum requirements. The account that I am on has dictations that are mostly 1 minute or less, fast talkers and pulling in templates. Do you think that these minimums are attainable? I know that I can do that many audio minutes on average, but I'm not used to being paid by the aud ...

Taking A Stab At The Math Of $75/AUDIO Hour
Apr 24, 2013

If I understand this right, the calculation is $75 per audio hour - that means for every 60 minutes of dictation, the scribe is paid $75. If it takes one hour to complete the job, you make $75 per hour Two hours, $37.50 per hour. Three hours, $25 per hour. Four hours $18.75 per hour. What am I missing?  It typically takes at least three hours to transcribe one hour of dictation (audio).  If there is heavy formatting, difficult audio, etc., you can expect it to take longer.  U ...

Experienced MTs; Paid By The Line Or By The Audio Hour?
Jun 11, 2013

I've been an MT for over 5 years and have always been paid by the line. I would think that most MTs preferred wage is to be paid a set amount per hour.  If this were not an option, what has given you more of an income, paid by the line or by the AUDIO hour?  What I'm currently being offered per audio hour comes out to less than what I was paid per line at my previous job, but the reports are easier to understand so it may be worth it.  It is basically both ...

VR - How Many Lines Per Hour Do You Do? (sm)
Jan 21, 2010

With decades of experience as an MT, I'm just now getting into VR. I'd like to know, if you would please care to share, just how many lines per hour you are able to get with VR. I know this varies from person to person and platform to platform, but please, help me out with this! I'm terrified I'm going to go broke doing this! Thanks in advance. ...

VR - Lines Per Hour
Feb 05, 2010

I don't have much to compare to, as this is the only company I've worked for as an editor. I wanted to get an idea of the different platforms we each use and our lines per hour. Talking only about editing and not straight typing, what do you average lph and what platform do you use?  Thank you!  ...

How Many Lines Per Hour?
Sep 15, 2010

Trying to get an idea of how much I should be aiming for (working on building my speed).  How many lines per hour do you average?  (No VR or anything like that...just normal transcription).   Thanks!! ...

QA Pay Other Than By Lines Or By Hour
Dec 08, 2010

Hi! Just wanted to know... I have been told by others who are QA/editors that you dont always get paid by the line or by hour... some places pay them differently.  I dont understand how else you can get paid, that doesnt make any sense to me.  Anyone know anything about this?  I want to be an editor eventually but would like to at least make more than what I did when I transcribe.  thoughts? Thanks! Jiles ...

OTI Lines Per Day/hour - Sm
Feb 10, 2011

What is reasonable on the new account for which they are hiring?  Any feedback is appreciated. ...

350 Lines/hour
Jul 09, 2011

I was just offered a position with a company requiring 350 lines/hour.  Is this easily achievable.  My current line count is usually between 200-250. ...

QA Lines Per Hour/day
Nov 17, 2011

I have been promoted to QA and was wondering what the average line count you that do QA get in an hour or a day. I have been doing this for a few months and I am making about the same amount of money per month as I was with MT. Am I being too slow? I am afraid to speed it up for fear of missing something. My workload is about 50% fill in blanks and scan and 50% listen and read along full audit stuff. Right now I am averaging 400 to 450 lines an hour or 3200 to 3600 a day. I was hoping to make a ...

VR/ASR Lines Per Hour
Jan 04, 2012

My accounts were recently switched from typing to mostly ASR...I'm really struggling here!  It seems like I take longer to edit jobs than to type them out. (Of course, it would help if the ASR program was more accurate). Why is this so hard for me?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.     ...

ASR Lines Per Hour
Jul 10, 2013

Can anyone tell me what the average lines per hour average for either Nuance or MModel ...

400 Lines An Hour?
Jul 31, 2014

I'm just thinking back to that whoever person that posted on here about a week or two ago that says he or she easily makes $16 to $18 an hour at Nuance and has plenty of work and always gets paid on time.  A lot of replies said the poster is probably a fake and is someone from Nuance management or human resources who is desperate for people to hop on board.  I posted that it would be impossible to make $16 as an MT at Nuance, for you'd have to be nearly bionic in terms of yo ...

Lines Per Hour
Aug 10, 2014

How many lines per hour do you average doing straight typing?  I used to get paid by the hour.  The job I'm interviewing for is straight typing.   I know many factors come into play, but what is average? ...

Lines Per Hour Requirements
Jul 27, 2010

Can someone please tell me the lines per hour requirements as an MME for each of the following?  Thank you, I do not have e-mail with those requirements and needed to know.   Thanks again!!     TranscriptionASR/editing whatever they call itStraight QA   ...

To Get Decent Lines An Hour
Aug 04, 2010

Hi, I seem to struggle with line counts (a few years into MTing).  Some accounts I am fine with and some very slow.  Because of the nature of the work (and working from home), I have no way to gauge if the faster accounts are just abnormally easy or the slower accounts are abnormally hard.  - Do you all (who have decent line counts) feel like you are moving like a mad person or just moving along at a decent pace? Any ideas on how to tell what my issues are or what the scoop is?&n ...

Lines Per Hour - 65 Keystrokes Per Lin
Oct 01, 2010

I'm new at my first job.  I'm not earning much.  How many lines (at 65 keystrokes) should I be realistically be doing per hour?  Thanks ...