A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What do you guys think is an appropriate amount of time for research for a report? - Fingers

Posted: Oct 14, 2009

For say a syndrome, a drug, a doctor's name/address, facility name/address, etc.? 

If I think I can hear the dictation correctly I do spend an extended amount of time because I KNOW I can find it.  However, if it is ify as to what I am hearing or the spellings could be a dozen different things, I ususally send to QA because if I am not sure - it's probably going to end up to QA anyway.  I NEVER look up a doctor's name if the first name is not dictated.

How much time do you guys spend on this stuff? 

About 3 minutes.....I don't get paid enough, let QA figure it out!! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

You don't get paid enough!! QA is paid less!!! - Look it up on google!

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Yes, but is that not QA's job? nm - ??

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Though I partly understand it, that's not the right attitude - QA not substitute
[ In Reply To ..]
I get that pay is lower all the time, but "leave it for QA" is wrong. QA is not substitute for knowledge that an MT should already have. I've seen many leave blanks for something easily found in a 2-second Google search. That's inexcusable and only makes MT look bad. QA gives feedback to employer and first on chopping block are ones that send simple things to QA all the time. I work with QA, not against.
QA - 7DayMT
[ In Reply To ..]
at my former company they started taking more points off the QA score if QA could easily fill in the blank

To the QA poster, please advise - Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course it is your job to complete the blanks left in the reports. What do you consider a reasonable amount of time for an MT to do research before leaving a blank on the report? I mean, we do get paid to TYPE (and reasonable research). I understand if something can be discerned as far as medical terms, drugs, etc., but what about when you are typing for a state and you do not know the local terminology, facilities, counties, roads, what have you. The one that really burns me up is when a doctor dictates, "Dr. Jones in dermatology, GYN, neurology, etc." Telling us what the physician does is not telling us the first name. Low and behold, you look it up by specialty and there are 5 of them (Dr. Jones) in that specialty!! I don't mean to snub you, but why are these names and geographical issues the job of QA people.
SPi - May
[ In Reply To ..]
I won't have anything to do with them because of that. Tomorrow I was suppose to test for a job but will keep looking.
not the QA poster but - 7DayMT
[ In Reply To ..]
About the facilities, names, etc., at many companies a list of common local facilities, doctors etc will be part of the account specifics - and the facility only gets irritated if the names on the list that is provided get misspelled or left blank. Usually I can find an outside hospital by looking at a website (for example) called hospitals in California - where there is an alphabetical list.. and put it in my favorites. Works if the name is dictated reasonably clearly.

Yeah, about ditto here. - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
If it's a longer report and I'm near the beginning, I might even pop off an IM to QA to ask whoever's on if they have any ideas. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. If it's a doc's name I don't know, I'll give it a shot, either with the doctor listings by state, or by local yellow pages, or even by the website of the facility where said doc practices, if that info is available, but I do NOT spin my wheels over it.

Similar thing goes for sending cc to other docs. Fortunately, we do not have to actually send them; we just list the requested names and the client takes care of it at their end. And if the dictator says "cc to Dr. Smith" we will just put Smith and let them figure it out.

As I so often say, mind-reading is WAY above MY pay grade!

P.S. - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
More often than not, when I go back and look at a report after QA has gotten done with it, I find that they couldn't get it either, which makes me feel better. :)

however long it takes if I think I can find it, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
within reason of course. Maybe i'm not as fast as many of you, but i put out the best quality report that i can.

do any of you get docked if out of the platform? - Linda

[ In Reply To ..]
The reason I ask is that I work a 9 hour day, minus 1 hour for break and/or lunch... once again, my 1 hour. I just started at a company that I don't want to mention, but this next pay period would be my 1st 80 hour work pay period. When I was sent the pay summary it said I was getting paid for 70.8 hours. I asked about it cuz I thought for sure they made a mistake. I figure I am losing 1 hour a day while being really tied to the PC for 9 hours and being paid for 7 hours. Why you ask? It is because I doing little mini searches for docs, words, and the like and that means I am "idle" in the platform in which I work. Please tell me if any of you experience this? I do mostly VR and paid very little as it is. Feel feel to e-mail me. I feel like I am working full time for part time wages.

I take pride in my work and want to maintain a high QA but it is very difficult to do that, looking up things all the time, and still keep those VR key strokes in my mind. I would appreciate any info from how you guys handle it.

that's awful! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
heaven's no i am not locked out of platform. You need a new job! In fact, my company wants us to have several open tabs on page (easy to set up) and i can be 'in' my platform, in the middle of a report, and move to other tab and look up something, another to check e/m, etc. It is like moving between 3-4 machines at a time. I wished i would have known to do this years ago.
Agree that's awful. What on earth are they SM - MissIndigo
[ In Reply To ..]
thinking to penalize people for researching terms? Agree you need another job. In another market I'd have had another one before the afternoon was out. In this one where it's a little longer, I'd let them reap the consequences just as long as it took me to get out.
I do have several tabs open, maybe I am missing something - lka
[ In Reply To ..]
That's just it. I have a staff directory for the docs in my account... most are there and some are not. I also use the yellow pages for that state. I am using Enterprise Express Editor which is good for demographics and I search for docs right in that system for cc and the like. I am getting more familar with names now after 5 weeks, but hard to search if you are not of spelling of the last name. Anybody know of any web sites for searching MDs using a wild card thingy? If one doesn't know the correct spelling, one cannot find the doctor. Do you know what I mean? I add to my expander all the time but it all seems endless. I am just not up to my expected line count, though it is slowly climbing. If I were it wouldn't really matter if they paid for 70 hours while working 80 hours... The killer is, that until I achieve a better line count they are paying me basically minimum wage.

There are just no jobs to be had that pays for our years of skills.

out of platform - NewPlat2

[ In Reply To ..]
Just started on a new platform that has a *pause* option for when you do mini-searches for meds, surgical instruments, docs' names, personal pit stops, etc. Do you have that--it could help.
My platform has a pause also, but I never use it - Fingers
[ In Reply To ..]
We do not have to work 8 hours as long as we get our line count. We just can not go over 8 hours. If my line count is a little behind during the day, I use it. If I am ahead, I don't.

Check any "function keys" on your platform or ask management about it. Getting penalized for this is crazy.

how long - 7DayMT

[ In Reply To ..]
For a medical term or drug that is clearly dictated but I just don't know I will take the time (even if more than 3 minutes or so) to search and more than 90% of the time I can find it. Then I add to my word expander or list that I am keeping of med terms. If I don't find a good reference I send to QA. For a doctor's name, I will look it up 95% of the time.. if it's Dr. Smith in Texas, no first name, no...but if the last name is distinctive/I can tell what the first letter of it/it's a small state I look for it.. Some states have websites for looking up doctors and those are useful. If it's Dr. ++++ from ___facility I look for it on the facility's home page. If I can't find it in about 3 minutes, though, I put a blank. Town names, outside hospitals are usually easy to find.

By the way my accouns are no blank accounts, including names and places, and there is an incentive for sending less to QA.

research time/typing time - steady eddie

[ In Reply To ..]
When we are working, we are being timed. Any time not actually typing (i.e. research) is actually hurting our line count. This, to me, is just another example of the humilitating tactics companies use against us.

I don't do a lot of extensive research for this reason.

Same as SM--as long as it takes, within reasoHer. SM - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
Big However, though: Unlike comparative newbies who simply can't afford too many lengthy searches, I've been at this long enough that I feel I should know "everything"--but don't, of course, so I really want to fill in those blanks. Even when they're just facility names, I want them in storage in my expander so I can find and enter them fast next time.

BTW, both types of info get entered with additional search words if not in the basic name, i.e., HemoCyte with tissue, graft, matrix, etc. Briarcrest Home with convalescent, skilled, etc.

If a new term is entered the first time it's used, a quick search will pull it up the next time, then just click to enter. I love my expander. :)

Similar Messages:

What Do You Guys Do When A VR Report Is
Oct 02, 2013

I mean wrong as in, there will be a long run of sentences in which VR doesn't get a single word right.  I don't know WHY, because this speaker happens to speak very clearly at a decent speed and with no background noise.   Do you guys just delete everything and retype?  Do you ask your TL to be compensated as straight transcription when that happens?  Or do you make every single correction as you go along (which happens to take about 395 years to do). Also, I' ...

Does Anyone Know The Down Time Amount From-SM
Feb 27, 2014

Tuesday.  I need to see how much "time" I need to make up to get my hours in....ugh! ...

Are You Guys Making Up The Time From Today
Nov 11, 2013

or did some one say we will be compensated for this?   Just wondering because it is past time for me to get off and I am so tired, not sure I can work much longer.  ...

How Have You Guys Been Handling NJA And Making Up Time? Sm
Nov 12, 2013

Fortunately I haven't been running out BUT I was denied (once again) Christmas and New Years off.  Not too concerned about New Years but I host Christmas and will have to work till 2:00 in the afternoon.  My family will open gifts at the crack of dawn so I can start my shift and my hubby will bring my breakfast into the office for me to eat while (or if) I'm working.  Last year I had probably less than 5 jobs in 2 hours and called it a day and that was okay....last year. ...

Do You Guys Report Errors In "job Search" Feature
Aug 11, 2012

In an OP note, someone put DRAINS: 40 to gravity   Should be FOLEY!!!   How are people not audited on this stuff??? Do you all report this or just ignore it? ...

Taking Test, Foot Pedal Issue - Report Begins Over Every Time I Lift My Foot!
May 27, 2010

I am taking a test for a company and have gotten as far as taking the transcription portion.  I downloaded their file (pedalplugin-win) but whenever I lift my foot off play, the tape rewinds to beginning.  I cannot rewind or FF and autoplay to 0 isn't registering. Can anyone suggest what I could do to? Thanks!!!!  I have 4 hours to complete test. ...

Surgical S/l "floor Time" In Operative Report
Nov 11, 2011

Is this a commonly used term?  I have not done very many operative reports, and none for this particular doctor.  It sound like she says "Floor time 9.25 minutes."  I guess this means the time in surgery, but I have not heard this before.  ...

Doing A Little Research Here
Nov 16, 2010

Wondering if shift differential is a common thing for radiology MTs.  Any rad MTs out there get it?  If so, what hour of the evening/night does it kick in? ...

Research Tip
Jul 29, 2011

Which search engine do you find most effective for finding words? Please share your favorites!! ...

Should Have Done Some Research
Nov 11, 2012

WOW.  I wish I had done my homework before accepting even a PT position with this company.  To date, paperwork in, but nothing for a few days now.  After accepting this PT position I happened upon this forum and have already started looking for a new job.  I am supposed to start with Nuance in a week working 7-11 pm CST.  Not ideal hours but I guess what they had available.  Been in the business for almost 15 years and have never heard so much negative about one pla ...

Same Amount Of Work, Less Pay?
Dec 04, 2013

Does anyone else suspect their company is fiddling with the software, thereby paying less to MTs for the same amount of work?  I switched accounts last summer, within the same company, to a hospital that pays more, sure that my pay would increase.  Lo and behold, I just noticed on my paycheck that I'll make about 5,000 to 8,000 less this year than last, and, if anything, I'm working more hours.  Truly infuriating because there is no way to prove it. ...

What Do You Think Is An Acceptable Amount Of
Jun 21, 2014

ESL per account for .07 cents a line? I have been getting 2 in 3 ESL for the last 3 months now. Never used to be that way. Not just ESL, but difficult ESL that do 15 to 20 minutes at a time. They changed on me without saying anything. Is this a normal amount or am I being used? ...

Looking For Research Resources
Dec 01, 2010

I am looking for a resource where I could plug in the symptoms and perhaps come up with a diagnosis or name of a condition.  There must be a site like this by now--a Dr. Google, if you will. Does anybody know of such a thing? ...

Research Shows - MTs Are Better!
Oct 10, 2011

We've always known it, but now the medical research is bearing out the same truth: MTs are more accurate than speech recognition. I try to keep track of studies like this; they're good ammunition! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21940580     ...

How Come MM Can't Pay Us For Looking Up And Typing Research
Jun 27, 2013

The acct I am on, we have "free text cc's." you have to go into a seperate website, search the doc data base for the name and then type that info on the report. You know how long that takes?  This acct I am on has 20 pages of rules.. I did not ask to be put on this acct, I was switched over and now am on 100% QA as I entered a DOS incorrectly.  Can you say fed up with this for minimum wage?? It is just too much. Retirement is looking thank the Lord. ...

MT Market Research
Oct 15, 2013

Hey everyone, I'm doing some market research on transcription and was wondering if you might be able to give me some pointers? Firstly I'm trying to figure out who the biggest players are and I've come up with Nuance and M*Modal. These seem to be by far the biggest, but I've also found some smaller companies like Presyce, Superior Global Solutions, TransTech, Acusis and MedScribe - are there any others I'm missing? I'm also looking at the pricing these companies ...

Scams Are Everywhere, Please Research And Think Very
Feb 12, 2014

That can't be posted or emphasized enough.  Whatever job posting seems good, research it and double check everything before sending a resume with all your personal information. Do NOT EVER accept any checks  (especially written for large sums)  from any companies to purchase anything -  that should be nothing but common sense.  People, you're broke now, and desperate for a job, but how much more broke are you going to be if you fall for these types of iden ...

Research Tips?
Mar 24, 2015

What are your favorite research tips? Any suggestions on how you cut down research time and increase productivity? I need to get my productivity up, seriously! Would appreciate any suggestions to that end, thanks! ...

Expression Of Dollar Amount. Please See Msg.
Nov 16, 2009

Doctor says: "She is carrying about 12 to 15 thousand dollars in credit card debt." Do I put it $12 to $15 thousand, $12,000 or $15,000 or as above? Thanks. ...

Zylomed - Amount Of Work?
Aug 06, 2010

I recently started with Zylomed and I am a 'floater'.  Does anyone have any experience with this company and if there is enough work as a floater?  I am trying to decide if I want to keep doing this or just take on some accounts that would be my own. Thanx!! (:   ...

What Does $1 Per Audio Minute Amount To? SM
Jul 12, 2013

I've never been paid per audio minute.  What would 1 dollar per audio minute come to if I can type 300 lines per hour?  Does anyone have an equation I can plug the numbers in to or any idea what a ballpark figure would be for this?  Thanks.   ...

Amount Per Audio Minute
Jun 01, 2015

Hi there.  Does anybody know what the going rate per audio minute is?  I'm used to getting paid hourly.  Thanks all! ...

FYI - Extra Research Now Required
Mar 16, 2010

For all that do not want to do the extra research to fill in the blanks cuz it takes too much time, too much effort, losing money trying to get it all done to help your qa submission rate I'd like to welcome you to what we as QA/MME have been doing for 3 cpl ....all of that research and more.  Now maybe some MTs (not all) will stop throwing QA under the bus and realize what we've had to do all this time for 3 cpl.  Thank you and have a nice day. ...

Pick Research Solutions
Jul 13, 2013

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of a company called Pick Research Solutions.  It looks like they are paying 1 dollar per audio minute, and I have never done audio minutes before.  It looks like the job I would be doing is transcribing one-on-one telephone interviews at about 45 minutes in length.  I really don't know how long it would take me to do it, but I do know that I type 80+ words per minute, but more importantly, the question is if anyone h ...

I Did Some Research And It Looks Like The Indian MT's Make
Sep 06, 2013

about $3.00 an hour!!  That's working for Nuance.  ...

Interview For Research Paper
Mar 02, 2015

Would anyone be willing to give me a quick interview?  Questions include:  How did you get into field?  Why did this field appeal to you?  Does it meet with your satisfaction?  Years of employment and level of responsibility?  ...

Being Paid A Lower Amount Than Promised
Dec 18, 2009

Has anyone ever signed a contract with a company that specified a certain cpl and then when you started, you discovered that you  were being  paid a full cent less, with no explanation?  How did you handle it? ...

Personal Accounts And Amount To Charge?
May 27, 2013

Just wondering......I am an IC right now, but I have the opportunity to pick up some extra work from my own personal physician.  He was asking if I could type some of his more complicated PFT reports that he does not want to do on the EMR program they have.  I have not done any personal account work for a very very long time.  Back when I had accounts....we would go pick up the cassette, print out the stuff and take it back.  I was wondering if anyone out there has any person ...

Good Drug Research Sites?
Apr 27, 2012

Hi all. I'm wondering what sites are your favorite for drug researching? The main issue right now is a sentence that has me wondering. It says: "The patient has no known allergy for the s/l listed." I've never heard it put that way before. He must be talking about the meds the patient usually takes, but, if he's been taking them, of course he has no allergies to them! This is a separate sentence as I have it in caps. Do you need anything else? I have tried looking up anything tha ...

Compensation For Research, Proofing, And Demos?
Dec 11, 2012

So I guess that was just legal boilerplate for CYA, since there were no pay changes for EditScript.  Like what we're paid per line automatically includes enough "extra" to cover for these duties, supposedly.  "Base Pay Program Philosophy .... Compensates for all time spent typing and editing reports; to include researching, proofing, and demographics" (I always screenshot these conferences/presentations, since we never get any written/e-mail followup that includes all the ...