A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

This is a rant. - PSM

Posted: Dec 22, 2012

Let me preface by saying that I am not a veteran in this field. I have only been a MT for about a year and a half. I graduated from one of the AHDI accepted schools. In the short time I have been working, I have worked for both of the national MTSOs. In my opinion the grass is brown on either side of the fence. I was originally enamored by the possibility of working from home and setting my own schedule. The later may be true if you have experience and are fortunate enough to hire on with a good company.

This is where I start my rant. Before MT I worked for over 6 years in various call centers. Benefit wise, the worst company provided me with 40 hours of PTO, 24 hours of sick time, and 8 hours of floating holiday a year. Oh yeah, I also always received benefits whether I was part time or full time. The thing that really gets me is that expirience was not a huge factor. Most companies would hire candidates with no experience, and almost everyone got hired at the same hourly rate. If you were lucky you got a higher rate because you had experience, but that was not common. What was more common and actually average throughout my experience was yearly raises based on performance, which is almost nonexistent in MT positions.

Working from home has degraded this profession. If they can not see us, they do not care (this is just my opinion by the way). Working from home is a benefit to the MTs as well as the companies we work for. We are not seen as more than something that delivers reports in a timely manner. The only time we are brought to our manager’s attention is when we are not making our line count or accuracy. We are nothing more than a blip on their radar. As long as we are within their standards, we are nothing.

What can we do about this? Really we can do nothing from my point of view. This forum is so minute. Even if we get every MT on this board united, we will not accomplish anything. I doubt that the MTs on this forum can even unite to form one voice. If I said “We should release murders and pedophiles from prison. Say yes or no to cast your vote.” more than likely we would still be divided. I know this is a very extreme viewpoint and do not mean it literally. My point is really just to show how fractured this entire website is let alone this profession.

The last person we should be spiteful towards is our fellow MT. I really do not want to give anyone the wrong idea here. I am just trying to put forth some ideas for your consideration. After just more than a year in MT, I bit the bullet and enrolled in an online college. I am currently pursuing a BA in Health Care Administration, and I am counting the days to get out of this underappreciated profession. Thank you for reading to whoever has made it thus far.

Not - really

[ In Reply To ..]
sure what particular point your rant is about. One thing I can say is that since you are new, it is easy for you to move on. Maybe if you had been doing this for 20, 30, 40 years, you might feel different. I do agree with the fact that we are treated like nothing by these companies. I do know from experience, though, that if people get together and take a stand things can be accomplished. I've been in the workforce a long time and am not willing to just quit without a fight. If people did take a stand, things would change. I'm not abandoning this profession I have worked hard for, I am fighting to make it better.

Don't really have a point but - PSM

[ In Reply To ..]
I started out with one, kind of, but just sort of lost it, but honestly I probably never had a clear point in the first place.

I have been a lurker on this board since I was in school. I just felt like giving my 2 cents, all be it very winded.

I completely understand the viewpoints of everyone who has been doing this 5, 10, 20, or 30+ years to a point. I was never there. I never was doing this during the "hay day" of when transcription was a really good profession. I know what it is like being the "new guy" and maybe not getting the same benefits as someone who has been around the block, but from what I am seeing, there is little to no benefit from being an experienced MT, and that is just sickening.

I guess my main point now is that if MTs wanted to they could easily get a job working at a call center making the same amount of money or even more with better benefits with no experience. At least you could get a job with an easier work life.

The main fact boils down to with just a high school diploma I was making more money as a call center representative than, at this point in my career, as a MT. I paid over $4,000 for my education, and it is not paying off. There may be a sizable group of MTs out there making good money, but I am working my butt off with decent accounts and barely make minimum wage.

A lot of posts on this board are short, condescending, and of little value. I would like this post to be more. I hope that this can be a discussion on where the MT field is now and any possible changes that could be implemented.

Your point? - 30 year veteran

[ In Reply To ..]
For not wanting to sound spiteful against your fellow MTs, you certainly seem to be. You say that working at home benefits MTs as well as the profession and then say how it has impacted the profession in a negative way, you are contradicting yourself. You worked for "the 2 national MTSOs," I hope you realize that there are more than 2. Suggesting that MTs go to work at call centers shows that you know very little about this profession. Most of us are well educated and quite knowledgable in many areas, including medicine; health information management and patient care are 2 areas I could name where MTs could put their knowledge to use. To even suggest that working in a call center is the only thing people are capable of is an insult. If it was so great, why did you leave? I don't understand why people who are so unhappy with this profession and what it has become don't just go, instead of coming on the message board and telling everyone else how tough they have it. Why do you want to organize a profession that you don't intend to remain in? People have the right to make their own choices and don't need heavy handed posts from people with little experience telling them that they belong in another dead end job. Just go and do something else and let others decide for themeselves what is best for them.
I could hardly stand your post.... - none
[ In Reply To ..]
You are picking her apart! She does not deserve your spite. You are sitting there with a nasty attitude nobody wants, your "Whoa is me, on jeeze, it just keepsetting worse and worse, wringing of the hands, oh whoa is me." Get over Yourself! She has just as much right as you do for coming on this board and hoping, expecting support, and then there are people like you....If it's so bad, why don't YOU affect change. No, I know, it's easier to just complain and attack.
I did just that - 20 year veteran
[ In Reply To ..]
I no longer work as an MT, but I worked my way up the ladder and didn't think I knew it all and expected to be making top dollar after less than a year. I certainly never told others where they should work. Yes, there are people like me who deserve more than call center work and also deserve more than what MT offers now. I found it without being told that as I am intelligent enough to figure things out on my own. I am not the one feeling sorry for myself. I did effect change in my own career, but I never came on this board and told others they had to do the same because things weren't working for me.
Clarification - PSM
[ In Reply To ..]
I just wanted to say I was not suggesting anyone quit their jobs and go work for a call center. I was just trying to correlate the 2 professions with my personal experience. That is all.
Well I personally do not see what the big deal is. - It just so happens that most
[ In Reply To ..]
MTs who are still in this buisiness are sticking with it because they actually LIKE their jobs. Not all are making minimum wage. I will admit that pay has gone down significantly with speech recognition, but many have adjusted and learned to work the system to their benefit, meaning they have learned to edit proficiently and efficiently so are able to still maintain a good hourly rate. Another thing to keep in mind is that not all are making 4 and 4.5 cents per line. That is the starting rate, but for those who have been with their companies for a while (besides Nuance) they actually do make more than that.

I see nothing wrong with the fact that there are MTs out there who remain content and continue to enjoy their jobs. I personally love it and would not want to do anything else, but having a part-time job on the side adds a little extra cushion for me and gives me something to fall back on during Christmas and Thanksgiving when the workload is low.

To each their own. What works for one may not work for the other.
I'm still in it because I have yet to land a job outside - og MT. Not for lack of trying, either.
[ In Reply To ..]
sure isn't because we love it - is it?
[ In Reply To ..]
How can anyone love such a boring and tedious job.
"boring and tedious job" - Why did you take the job - to begin with? Sorry but
[ In Reply To ..]
that sounds a bit crazy. Are you still working as an MT? Did you not know what the job entailed before you applied?

Sometimes when people dont like what they do, they do poorly at it. To take on a job that you do not like is setting yourself up for failure. I imagine you probably one of the ones who dont do so well.
I did love it when it was inhouse - it was fun then
[ In Reply To ..]
But since I've been at home, every day I've grown to hate it more and more. I'll be out soon. But let me assure you I do it very,very well.
I personally find typing to be rather therapeutic, VR not so much - because you have to be more
[ In Reply To ..]
attentive to detail where as with typing you are creating the document yourself. I dont get as much typing as I use to, but I get enough.

There are times when I am stressed or find it hard to focus, that I will just start straight typing the report in order to sit still, focus and relax. I can easily type over 250 lines per hour so when I get frustrated with editing, it hit enter a couple of times and just start typing.

I know we are not suppose to do that, but I still do it sometimes. The way I figure, I type fast enough that it is not going to effect my pay either way and if thats what I have to do when I am having a bad day and cant stay focused, then I do what I gotta do to stay productive and make my money. I just love to type.

Call centers, MTs and working from home - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a full-time MT who was outsourced about 2yrs ago. I worked for a hospital 10+ years and about a year after being outsourced realized that if I was going to continue on as a medical transcriptionist, that I would have to get a part-time job.

I have a part-time job working for a call center, 12 hours a week that pays $11 per hour. At my full-time MT job I average anywhere from $13 to $14 dollars an hour, but still had to seek supplemental employment because of the paycut I took our department was outsourced at the hospital.

Even though I worked for a hospital, we were at home transcriptionist. The only person that worked in-house was our supervisor. Also, many call centers such as insurance agencies etc. are starting to send their workers home as well. There are many jobs you can get outside MT that are ligitiment that will allow you to work from home.

By the way, I still enjoy being an MT and I do fairly well with good line rates at MModal, but I would highly recommend anyone who considers this job to either work it part-time or get a part-time gig on the side unless your married and have more than one income coming in.

"...since you are new, it is easy for you to move on." - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
I wholly disagree with this statement. If I spent thousands of dollars on an education, I'd be fighting tooth and nail for that money not to be wasted.

There's no difference in someone who's put in 15+ years in the profession or someone who's just spent a high 4 figures on a profession. The devastation is the same.

RIGHT ON!!!! Could not have said it better. - jshe

[ In Reply To ..]
The poster is so self-serviing. Nauseating really. I guess her point is that if you are in this profession longer, it hurts more. Or, is it you are more ignorant for taking it for so long.

To anybody wanting to become an MT, READ THIS POST before you spend 1 penny. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You're right... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Some of the MTs on this board are horrible to others. I think our situation as a whole wouldn't be quite as bad if we MTs stood by each other and helped each other out. Instead, some just can't resist the opportunity to hurt someone else, and they're only interested in a solution once it's already been done by someone else.

We MTs could make a big difference, but there's no such thing as "we" MTs.

lower rates - trina

[ In Reply To ..]
My company is headed more and more toward speech in the coming year. It's been a rough ride the last few years. The company I went back to let me go a few years ago, then I went to Nuance, hated that, then back to the company that let me go, wasn't getting enough work there so got additional work at Soft Script, hated that then finally just stayed at the company I was initially at which had let me go and have plenty of work, but now the company is headed more and more towards speech in the coming year, so I am really dreading this. I know how it will cut our pay. Yes, I see this too, more and more lately, with the rates going down. it's very sad. I don't think we should give the initial poster a hard time. It could be a call center rep could make more, but in my opinion that's a crap job too. I really don't see things getting better for us MTs. I don't know how we could stand up for ourselves but something needs done. Is there some way we could write to Obama and ask for some kind of legislation?? I think if enough of us got together, a ton of us say, we could maybe accomplish something. I don't see a way they could send all our work to India or wherever. I mean I think maybe we could make an impact for ourselves, a point as to how badly things are for us anymore. And honestly, guys, I still like the work, but I am going NOWHERE, only downhill.

Legislate higher line rates? No. That's not the way it works in a free - enterprise system. OP read this forum and

[ In Reply To ..]
entered the field anyway because of the lure of working at home. I'm glad to hear she's finally wised up, but really.

The issue is supply of labor and demand for labor. As long as there're a lot of people willing to work (but not very hard) for very low pay because it's at home, incomes will not rise. They will drop further if they can, and unfortunately the supply is high.

I mean, who would have thought any of the MT schools would still be in business by now? They are though, full of fools self-deluded by the lure of work that doesn't seem so...workish.
Not line rates, but they can certainly remove the - FBL
[ In Reply To ..]
incentives for shipping our jobs overseas and/or require that medical information be kept within our borders.
I'd like it if that were doable, too, but reality is outsourcing - often benefits our nation as a whole, not
[ In Reply To ..]
just the people getting new jobs in other countries. Outsourcing jobs often results in money flowing in (highly desirable), creation of other jobs, business creation, deals that benefit our country, etc.

Congress and the White House would only act to protect our jobs if it not only didn't cost the U.S. too much but actually furthered a bigger benefit that made it compelling enough to justify government intervention in free markets.
How does outsourcing MT benefit our nation as a whole? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The truth is that offshoring benefits the companies who offshore the work. When the companies have higher profits, that should mean we all benefit, right? Wrong. High-level executives and, sometimes, shareholders benefit. Remember, too, that while some people come to the US for medical treatment and then return to their home country, this is an industry whose consumers are by and large Americans. It's disgusting to me that a US-based company puts money in the pockets of citizens (offshore MTs) of foreign nations when its own citizens are the ones paying for their services. That creates an economic imbalance, and we (American MTs) are not the ones who end up on top.

Yes, there is a benefit to be gained here, but I disagree that it benefits our "nation as a whole." It lines the pockets of already-fat executives and shareholders, who in turn line the pockets of already-fat politicians.

Maybe I'm wrong. Can you tell me how, when large MTSOs are increasing their profits by offshoring, it is good for anyone other than the above-mentioned beneficiaries?

say what - a ton of us

[ In Reply To ..]
That's what, 50 MTs?

I wish the peeps here would get it together. Some scream get the government out, others want the government deciding who gets to do the work and what line rates we get.

MT will never (yes, an absolute definitive NEVER) be unionized or even organized in some haphazard way.

It really is up to you to make the personal best decisions for yourself. If you can't make it on the current rates and can't figure out how to get higher rates, then it's time to move on and not spend time wishing the government would make it all okay. That's not what government is for.

I get your point - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, I cannot believe the snide remarks you have received--they are uncalled for, as are most on this board.

Secondly, I totally understand your frustration at being an MT and how you are comparing it to call center jobs. I have 3 family members, recently out of high school, who got jobs at call centers. They have virtually no work history and have accumulated really no job skills at their young age, but they all got hired with better pay and benefits almost across the board than I am getting at my MT position after 10 years of experience in this field.

And before people jump down my throat for "staying" in what I see as a dying profession, I just completed my first semester of college to prepare for my exit out of MT. Lots of us want out, but it doesn't happen overnight.

Thank you - PSM

[ In Reply To ..]
I am pretty sure you understood my point with the call center correlation. Like I said, I am new, but I just do not see this job getting any better and that is just a shame for all the hard-working, experienced MTs out there.

Also, congratulations on attending college! I wish you the best of luck in your studies.

Whatever pays the bills - Thats my view point - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I actually agree with - most of what you said

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in over 10 years now, and while I haven't quite dropped to the minimum wage level (yet), everything you said is pretty accurate. My 24-yo daughter has worked in call centers and probably did make more than a lot of MTs are making now, and she has terrible job skills, floating from one job to another.

Yet here we are, with fairly costly educations and most of us with many years of experience, getting paid less and less by the year, while expected to do more and more. It's pathetic that we have let it come to this, and most seem rather content to sit and bitch about it here instead of standing up to do something about it.

I understand you want to make use of your education, but believe you would be better off running far away from this field before it drains the life out of you like it did us.

TO PSM - mumscritter

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't just fall off the turnip truck . . . I think you are a troll.

Similar Messages:

What The Q Has Done For (or To) Me (rant)
Feb 06, 2010

I was thinking about this earlier today.  I worked for a lot of years in hospitals doing MT, worked for doctors doing the same (I often had doctors try to steal me away from the hospitals I worked for to go and work for them but I'm loyal to a fault and it sometimes gets me hurt), and when I was just working for a doctor to cover for a transcriptionist on vacation, I was always asked back for the next vacation.  Always had perfection with my reports, never ever had an issue w ...

May I Rant?
May 17, 2010

I work for a small MT company that put me on a small account with 4 doctors, and I was told that I'd be the only MT.  Within a week it was obvious someone else was taking all the work, and I was told that this other MT was only supposed to take jobs "when necessary."  However, she takes all the jobs the second they show up.  Despite watching like a hawk for 10 hours a day, I get maybe 35% of the dictations overall, and the whole time I know that this other MT has OTHER work s ...

DSG Rant. (sm)
Aug 30, 2010

I have tried to give DSG a chance because I really hate changing jobs, but damn... this ASR gets worse every single day. I thought I was developing a rhythm and some speed with it finally and now it can't complete a single solitary sentence in any report I've had in the last three days without a serious error. It doesn't even come CLOSE to typing what the dictator very, VERY clearly says. I don't understand how ASR works, but how can it be getting worse all these months af ...

My VR Rant.
Jul 21, 2011

I think I could really make good money on VR if I was the only one on my account or if it learned specifically to each person editing.  I'm getting so tired of working on reports for a day to finally get them to start coming out needing little editing by the end of the day and then coming back on the next day to find the same reports SO full of errors after different people were on the account for the next shift.  It's great when you have other people who are good at their jo ...

Rant - Sorry
Aug 01, 2011

Okay.  Well, I decided to test with my old company again (SoftScript) with which I had  been employed for four years.  I failed their test.  My rant is this.  Am I being unfair to think that it is on record that I worked for them four years, was never late, always got my lines, always got 98% or above on audits (my last audit was 100%)  and it has only been 5 months since I left ??  Shouldn't all of this be taken into account ??  I suppose n ...

Just A Rant
Nov 28, 2013

My days are numbered, I already know.  I've given this job the best I could do.  After 14 years of no complaints they have broken me with their petty BS, condescending ways, (Feel free to reach out....), then when you do if you're not on the prime list you get no answer or worse false info.  Requested part time from the beginning but 35 hours is not P/T to me.  Lot of flexing because shift is 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.  (I was not made aware I have to ASK if it was ok to ...

RANT
Jul 29, 2014

I just need to vent. I really wish these residents would learn how to press the @#$%$% PAUSE button. I am so tired of listening to their (literally) 14-minute discussions with other residents while they are dictating a 4-minute op note. Obviously they do not realize that there is an acutal person at the other end of that dictation line, who has a family to provide for, and their jibber jabbing is a complete waste of my time and taking money out of my pocket while I am listening to them talk abou ...

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! This Is A Rant
Mar 24, 2015

Mandatory OT????? I am doing jobs that were dictated less than 1 hour ago.  I am getting the worst of the worst ESL dictators.  I don't mind doing some of them but I don't want ALL of them.  Pass the garbage to some others.  My head is pounding try to figure out what they are attempting to say.  Will be lucky if I come anywhere close to 1200 lines today. Wishing for power to go out.  HA!! ...

Rant Warning!!!!!
Nov 01, 2009

I have spent the enitre morning doing ASR on an ER doc who does not pronounce anything correctly, eats loudly and talks with her mouth full, yawns but does not stop talking and says things that make absolutely no sense at all.  I beg anyone who this sounds famiiliar to to email Support and ask that she be removed from ASR.  I have done half my usual line count today because of this horrid woman, and I can't even F11 because of the stupid limit!!!!!  My irritation factor is th ...

Does Anybody Else Feel This Way? Rant
Sep 27, 2010

I used to love transcription. I felt competent and like I was doing a service to patients by making their medical records into an understandible format. When I was working oftentimes I would be "in the zone" and time would pass by quickly. I felt proficient. After working for MedQuist for 6-odd years, I'm sick of them, sick of transcription in general. I dread going to work every day and yes  I am looking for another job but being over 50 and having done nothing but work at home in tr ...

General Rant
Jan 11, 2011

Have you ever noticed than when a dictator tries to adopt a "conversational" style of dictating, that it is very hard to try and figure out what's being said?  They start and stop several times so that you can't remember what the original line of dictation was, plus they add "you know" every other sentence.  I DON'T KNOW!!!!!  My account is a verbatim one and so I figure out as near as I can what he's saying and then send it through.  ...

Offshore Rant
Jan 21, 2011

With workloads running low, wouldn't you think the companies would end offshore transcription and give the work to American MTs?  The only thing that keeps me from bringing this up to HR is that I genuinely like the company I work for and I like both my accounts.  There is just this one thorn in the side ...    ...

My Big Rant - $48 Versus $81!!!!
Feb 11, 2011

For the hours I worked yesterday, I earned a total of $48!!! The breakdown was 60% ASR and 40% typing,and out of 3 jobs I get paid for typing, 2 of them were ASR jobs that I had to F11!!!! If I had typed all of the jobs, I would have earned $81. Talk about a slap in the face, both professionally and reality-wise. Reality with the Q is worse than I thought. Oh yeh sure ASR is faster than typing - NOT!!. As an example, one ASR job was 8 minutes. It took me 45 minutes to complete that job! I ...

RadTrans Rant
Feb 11, 2011

I saw their ad for a Radiology MT, sent in my resume, and she contacted me the same day.  I was available for the hours she was looking for and was excited for the opportunity, since she pays very well.  She sent me the test, and when I sent my test back, she informed me she hired someone else the day before.  Mind you that we had been talking by email back and forth the day before - so why didn't she tell me that then?  I know emails have no personality, or they shouldn ...

My Rant To TransTech
Apr 19, 2011

With this hand-slap email, "...We understand some of them are unnerving, but it is everyone's responsibility to do whatever comes in queue timely.  Every now and again we are going to lose TAT for one reason or another, but it cannot be for this reason.  It is pretty hard to explain to our clients that our loss of TAT was due to MTs avoid certain jobs. "  I'm just a little curious, TT Boss Lady, does this apply to the 2 MTs on this account who are fed OP notes excl ...

Student Rant
Jul 11, 2011

I am months away from completing an "associates degree" in MT at a well-known online "university."  As I have prepared to change careers and start finding a job, I have realized what you all seem to already know...the job pickings are slim at best, and NO ONE wants to hire a newbie.  In short, I have never felt so taken advantage of and just...scammed.  The education I have received is sub-par, with more time spent with unnecessary classes like "Keyboarding" than with classes tha ...

Small Rant
Jan 04, 2012

If you, the doctor, can't pronounce a medication or another doctor's name, what in the name of little green apples makes you think I can figure out what the heck you're saying so I can spell it correctly????   /rant. ...

Ok This Is Really A Rant And It's Long
Mar 15, 2012

THE DEMISE OF THE MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST I started to call this "The Demise of the Medical Transcription Industry," but that would have been inaccurate.  The industry itself is thriving.  Actually, transcription companies in all probability show the highest profit margin of any healthcare-related industry in the United States.  In fact, I would swear to it.  I have done some research and I came across several interesting articles.  This paragraph is an excerpt from a ...

A Long Rant
Apr 19, 2012

Hi, All. I'm out looking for a job (another displaced MT) and have been trying to organize my thoughts when a potential employer asks why my resume looks so ridiculous. Just sharing... I have been employed in the medical transcription (MT) field for over 20 years, both as a transcriptionist and at various levels of management. I obtained the CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist) credential in 1990; however, this certification is not, and has never been, acknowledged by medical ...

Mini Rant
Feb 28, 2013

It so bugs me when people who should know better mispronounce words in dictation!  This NP who is dictating says "ejection fracture" instead of ejection fraction consistently, doesn't even seem to stop and wonder what it might mean or if it makes any sense!  She seems to basically understand what she is dictating, so how can she not know there is no such thing as an ejection fracture?   When I'm typing I need to understand what I'm typing to make sure that what I&# ...

A Little Rant From Me Today.
Mar 07, 2013

So, I got chewed out by QA because a doctor dictated a lab value INCORRECTLY!  It was a genetic lab value, not your normal CMP, CBC or anything like that.  He DICTATED the value and I TYPED the value.  The dictator stated that this was a normal value.  He was quite clear in his dictation and I typed what I heard.   QA got all over me and said that lab value was incorrect, and not normal, so regardless if he dictated it, I should have flagged it.  I told her it wasn ...

If You're In The Mood To Rant Even Further...
Dec 24, 2013

or, if you just want a laugh, go to Glass Door and look at the reviews for Nuance. They have a total of 1.7 Stars. The first few pages are the honest slaves. At the end, there are some QC and "management" people who only have nice things to say.... There are even a handful of people from India on there, some happy, some not. I don't think it matters how many of us implode, explode, etc, Scrooge will NOT CHANGE. He's too busy counting his millions. (Actually he probably hired ...

Short Rant
Jan 01, 2014

I would love to have just 1 stinking report that I didn't have to renumber every list in that report.  Of course it has to be done manually which just slows me down!  Mission accomplished.  Short but sweet, I'm done.  Happy New Year all.  At least we know we have one constant in our lives other than having to pay taxes and die.  ...

My Turn To Rant
Oct 28, 2014

Before we got the notification about new changes, when I went to Fiesa, I had a lot of 100% reports, and very rarely got an email from Fiesa.  Now I am getting one every few days.  The person that used to edit my work no longer is, and a different person with an Indian-sounding name is editing my work.  What happened to no more nitpicking.  This person seems to find all kinds of nitpicking, nothing to do with patient care  I looked nipticking up in the urban di ...

WARNING---Rant Enclosed
Apr 06, 2010

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! I am typing a 25 minute dictation and every 5 words I get "I'm sorry, please go back"...I'm sorry, please go back...I'm sorry, please go back  start rant... PLEASE FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE GOING TO SAY BEFORE YOU START!!!!!!!  I love typing a REALLY long dictation and only getting 1/3 line credit because you made me change 90% of what you friggin dictated!!! end rant... Thank you...I really needed to vent! ...

Warning! Rant Ahead!
Dec 14, 2010

So my company is moving everyone from IC to employee on Jan 1. Pros: PTO days, insurance for FT, and they deal with taxes. Cons: I don't need their insurance. I want the "employer paid" portion in my check, which we won't get. Expected daily production went up. Level to reach incentive pay went up and not calculated daily. CPL rate went down 15%! And that's for standard transcription, not VR. Just in production pay alone, I'm losing $100-150 per pay period. Even wh ...

Save Me From Myself! (Rant Ahead)
Feb 24, 2011

This particular doc is super-annoying. He word salads/mumbles/sputters/, says things he thinks are funny and then laughs at his own "joke" (as in "I told the patient not to set himself on fire again while smoking crack heh-heh-heh"), and tonight he clearly and deliberately enunciated a phrase and then said, "I thought you people would have gotten this by now." WTF??? Among other things, this guy could not key in the correct number of a report if there were only 1 button on hi ...

ASR Productivity Statistics Rant
Oct 25, 2011

Regarding ASR productivity statistics, measured in ines and hours.  If the goal is to minimize the difference between gross and net LPH by decreasing inactivity length, then instruct all dictators to stop eating, talking to others, pausing, etc when dictating, and stop telling me to limit my time spent researching in one instance and then in another I'm being told to use the multiple resources available--you can't have it both ways! Regarding total mouse clicks:  Get real!&n ...

Don't You Just Love It - Mini Rant
Feb 20, 2012

- when you are given templates with headers, and then the docs don't even try to use them?  Or jump back and forth between categories?  I have one for whom I just type everything out flat and then try and divide it up in to the categories on the template.  I'm just glad my supervisor understands! ...

A Small Rant About Quotes
Jun 29, 2012

Dear young, somewhat stupid NPT: as dictated:  ...but he is "as good as he'll get." Uh, no.  That's not actually a quote, you know.  The patient did not say he's "as good as he'll get."  I believe he probably said he's "as good as I'll get."  Just FYI. Kthanksbye.   ...